Lost My Mind | Teen Ink

Lost My Mind

By katievall, Ada, Oklahoma
katievall, Ada, Oklahoma

Author's note:

This story is inspried by the Marvel series Moon-Knight.

THUMP! Another stack of evidence files land on my desk.

“Here you go girl” Kate looks almost as tired as I feel.

“Thanks K, I swear this case is eating me up alive” I push away the papers I have been staring at all night. 

“It just doesn't make sense, why would a rich 19 year old girl want to run away. From what I have found out, she lives in a nice house (purchased by daddies money) with 3 of her best friends, and she models for vogue.” I rub my head in exhaustion.

Kate walks over to me and looks at the case filed on my desk.

“I mean, maybe she was having boy problems. Did she go through a bad break up or something?”

“Not that any of her friends know of, I mean I have asked everyone in her life about an ex or lover and nothing.”

I need to go home, I haven't been home since yesterday, Kate needs to as well.

“How about I call it a night, I mean we have not been home in 24 hours. Let's go K.” I stand up and get my bag and throw away the 3 empty Starbucks coffee cups.

“Ok, but promise me you will get sleep and you won't stay up all night thinking about the case?” Kate knows me way too well.

“I will, I will!” 

She looks at me with a knowing look.

“I promise” I roll my eyes.

“Alright I will see you tomorrow, Love you!” She walked out the door purse and a large Dr. Pepper in hand.

“Bye” I turn off the lights and walk out the door.

----

As I drive out of town the road I take to get home is under construction. Looks like i'm gonna have to take the scary back roads home. It's late so I don't think anyone will be on this road. As I'm driving, I see a car in the ditch. What! Why is there a car in the ditch? I pull over, should I get out? What if I get attacked? I probably shouldn't. Right before I leave, I get a flash in my mind. Have I seen this car before?It looks familiar. I decide to get out.

“Hello? Is anybody there?” I creep up to the car and no one replies.

The car is just parked in the ditch. No one is around it so I walk up to the window. There's a person in the driver's seat but their head is turned away so I assumed they were asleep. I knocked on the window but they didn't turn around.

“Hello?” No response.

I walk around to the other side of the vehicle and look through the window. It's kind of dark so I get my phone out turn on the flashlight.

“Oh my god.”

I couldn't believe my eyes. There she was. Georgia Bird. Her head was turned to the side bald spots all over her scalp as if someone were to rip pieces of her hair out.Her eyes were clawed out of her head. Red crimson tears dried down her face. The deep dark lifeless holes in her face were hypnotizing.I had to look away. How could someone do that? It's inhuman, maybe it wasn't human. It can't be, it was an animal that's the only possible solution. How could something that is human do that? My eyes trailed down her body to find a white t-shirt and pink cropped jacket.And right in the center of her stomach there was a stain, I didn't want to believe that it was blood but, I couldn't lie to myself. I turned away and leaned against the car and sat on the ground. I wanted to cry or scream or something but nothing came out. I called Kate 

“Hey girl what up?” I couldn't speak “Sarah? Hello? You there?”

What do I even say

“I found her.” Why can't I speak?

“Found who? Sarah, are you OK? Are you talking about Georgia Bird?” She kept rambling and I didn't know how to stop her so I waited till she stopped.

“Sarah?” she sounded concerned, should she be? I mean I am fine, I'm more concerned about the dead 19 year old girl next to me.

“She's…. Dead.”

Once the police got there I finally came back to reality. I started helping put the yellow caution tape up and moved my car so it wasn’t in the way. When I got out, People had started pulling over and crowding the scene so I ordered an officer to keep them back. He looked confused on why I was giving him orders, but when he realized people were crowding, he obeyed. As I started walking back to the scene the Sheriff stopped me. 

“Excuse me miss, we need to ask a few questions. Do you mind?” He was your typical small town sheriff. A nasty caterpillar looking mustache and cowboy hat. I sensed an on edge feeling from him.

“Sure, what do you want to know?” We moved and sat on a tree log nearby.

“What exactly happened here and do you have any relation to the victim?” He was reading the question off of a little notebook.

“Oh! You think I'M the killer, sorry sheriff but I am not the killer. I am Georgia's family's hired investigator. They hired me to find her.” he looked at me suspiciously so I went on.

“When I was on my way home, I saw this car and decided to check it out, and that's when I found her.” He was about to say something but I interrupted him.

“-AND as an investigator I do know that all of this info I'm giving you will probably put me as your top suspect but, I do have the checks to prove that I am in fact a hired investigator.”

I stopped and took a breath.

“Umm, actually I know that you are a investigator, and I already know you didn’t do it because we have already had a murder happen to another person that has the same injuries.” He surprised me so I sat and looked at him for a second.

“Sheriff Silvertone, we think we found the murder weapon” A young looking officer walked up and interrupted us.

I realized that's the first time I have heard his name.

“Silvertone?” I questioned “Well nice to meet you, Sheriff Silvertone.” I nodded my head in reassurance.

“You as well miss-” he looked at me questioningly.

“Miller, Sarah Miller” I reached my hand out for him to shake. He’s kinda cute.

ANYWAYS I do not need to get distracted.

“Uh, OK Jack lets see it.” He stood up and followed the younger officer.

I decided to follow them to see what it was. I couldn't see from where I was standing because Sheriff Silver-something was in my way.

I moved out from behind him. 

“Oh my god, is that an ancient Egyptian Khopesh?” I have only seen a few of those in my life. They are all in my artifact room. It is filled with all of the Ancient artifacts I have collected over the past 5 years.

“Why yes it is and as you can tell it is covered in blood, hence the whole, ‘it's the murder weapon situation’” the officer jack guy put finger quotations on that last part to mess with me.

“How did you know what that was?” Silver asks.

“Oh I have a few in my artifact room.” I said in a duh tone.

“You know, the more words that come out of your mouth the more I want to put you on the suspect list.” This Silver dude is annoying me.

We all went to the police station to discuss everything. I haven't been to a police station in a while, it's kinda eerie. 

“So here are the pictures of the other victim, Daniel Roberts. He was a 23 year old elementary music teacher, he was driving on the same highway exactly a week ago.” The picture was very disturbing, he was in the car but instead of being in the driver's seat he was in the back seat, kinda. He was in between the front seats and back seats face down, looks like he was crawling away but the killer stabbed him in the back. His head was twisted all the way around, eyes gouged out and the same as Georgia dry bloody tears. I sat the pictures down on the desk we were at and stared at the wall. On the way there was a whole bunch of papers tacked on. There were pictures of suspects and a picture of the murder weapon. It was another Egyptian Khopesh, I don't know how this person got their hands on TWO ancient Khopesh swords. 

“ So who are your top suspects?” I didn't want to mention my Khopesh Sword obsession. Silver walks up to the wall and points at a picture of a redheaded man, maybe in his 30’s?

“ So we have Josh Prince” He points at a female with purple hair. “Ky Walker '' And he points at the last picture but there isn't a face, just a name. “And this one has a story, so when we got the call about a car, the person who found Daniel said that he was still alive when they found him and the last words he spoke were ‘Abigail Peters’ now we haven't been able to find this woman so we don't know why Daniel said her name.” He walks back over to the desk and looks over the files that everyone else has been looking at.

A Few Hours Later

I got up from my seat on the floor. We've been looking at the files since 5:30 pm  and it's 1:00 in the morning. 

“Guys it's getting late and I still need to go talk to Georgia's family tomorrow morning, or well I guess later today.” I got up and grabbed my things.

“Alright, you guys can leave. I'm gonna stay a little longer.” Silver rubbed his temple in distress.

“OK I'll see you tomorrow boss” Jack grabs his jacket and hat  walks out.

I pull into my garage and lock my car. As I walk inside I start thinking about my Khopesh swords and decide to go look at them. I go to unlock the door to my artifact room, the room is unlocked already. 

“That's not right?” I whisper to myself. I ALWAYS lock this door, I mean there are artifacts in there that are priceless. I wouldn't want to risk someone breaking in, I also have a security camera system. I walk in, I'm on edge a little this is very suspicious. I walk slowly around the room to make sure everything is in place. It all looks good so I let my guard down. I walk over to the shelf that has my Egyptian artifacts. I scan the shelves till I find the metal box that has my Khopesh. It's labeled 1500 B.C . I open it up and 

“Oh my gosh what the heck!” It's gone! I hurry over to my other one to make sure it's there. This one is labeled 1500 B.C. as well. I opened it as well and it's gone too! What does this mean? Did the murderer take both of my Khopesh’s to kill Daniel and Georgia? Does this mean that I know this person? Are they close to me? 

“I decided to call Silver” I mean it's 2:00 in the morning so  I don't  know if he’ll answer.

“Hello?” HE sounded tired, I mean REALLY tired.

“Hey, it's Sarah.” I tried to control my breathing so that I didn't seem scared.

“Oh hey is something wrong?” 

“Yes? No? I'm not sure, All I know is that when I got home I decided to check on my Ancient Egyptian Khopeshes and they were both gone.” He took a deep breath.

“ Both gone?” 

“Yes, I checked both boxes. My door to the room they were in was unlocked too, which is weird because I am the only person that has the key.” I walked over to my storage closet to make sure that the spare key was still there. When I walked in I noticed that a ceiling panel was slightly moved. I moved a box over so I can stand on it. 

I reached up and slid the panel over more and reached up into the space to check if there was anything up there. I moved my hand around till it bumped into something. I reached my other hand up and grabbed the box. I don't remember putting this here. I stepped off the box and walked over to a table and sat the box down. It was wooden and red. It had a wooden lid as well. I lifted the lid and set it to the side. I couldn't believe what was inside.

There was a tiny box inside the big one so I decided to look at that first. Inside the little box there was an old Polaroid camera. It didn't seem important so I put it back. Next to the little box there was a little black sack. I grabbed it and opened it…there were pictures…. The first one I saw was a picture of Daniel. He looks so scared, he is clutching to his side where blood is dripping from his stomach. His eyes weren’t gouged out yet so they were still there. He had blue eyes; they were actually quite nice. The next picture is of Daniel and the photographer's hand gouging out one of his eyes with a spoon and blood dripping from it. He still had one other eye but it was shut. His eyes were squinting in pain.. He is still alive and is obviously trying to fight back. Why would someone do this AND take pictures while doing so? It's sick.

The next picture I couldn't believe my eyes was a picture of the photographer and Daniel his eyes were gouged out and he was obviously dead now, they were taking a selfie. The photographer was smiling and obviously couldn't tell that what they were doing was so, so wrong. Wait a second… 

It was me