Beach Trail | Teen Ink

Beach Trail

December 2, 2019
By leahbonfardine SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia
More by this author
leahbonfardine SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up extra early this morning. My sister, Laura, and I are on a beach trip for the week. Today is the last day. Since we’ve been doing so much this week today we are just going to the beach and might walk the boardwalk some. Then we are going to go out to dinner, after that we are going to find some hidden beach trail someone told us about a couple weeks ago. They told us a lot of people get lost there so we shouldn’t go but I am pretty good with directions and stuff like that so I doubt we will get lost. 

I got to my sisters bed to wake her up. After taking 5 minutes to finally get her up we both start getting ready. I put a pair of shorts and a sheer top on over my bathing suit. My sister also puts shorts on with a thinly knitted sweater that you can see through; then we head out the door. The beach isn’t too crowded yet so we sit near the water but far enough for it to not touch us while we tan. After laying there for about 4 hours we decided to give our skin a break and walk the boardwalk and do some shopping. We went into like 10 different stores which sucked because most of them all had the same stuff. Although Laura did get this cute beach anklet at one of the stores. After the disappointment we just walked and didn’t worry about the stores. 

We went to an early dinner at a little restaurant on the boardwalk. It was the cutest place we sat outside so we could watch the water as we ate. I ordered off the kids menu, popcorn shrimp and french fries, whereas Laura ordered crab legs. We ended up sharing because there is no way in any dimension for Laura to eat all of that by herself. We sat outside that restaurant for a good hour or so. Sitting there we mainly talked about what would happen if we did find the trail and what to expect. Laura’s scared to go she hates things like this. She’d rather sit in the hotel room watching a movie to end our trip, but not me. I can’t wait im so excited. I asked the waitress for the bill, left some money, and we were on our way to find the trial. Whoever it was that told us about it said it was at the end of the boardwalk, which is good for us we walked so much of it already we were almost at the end. Just a short 9 minutes later we were at the end. It’s not what I expected to be honest. There was a lot of sand and tall grass, not grass like I would’ve expected it was different and I don’t know the right way to describe it.

I looked over at Laura, she looked confused and kind of scared. She looked over at me like she didn’t want to be there. “Come on,” I said looking at her as I walked into the grass. She didn’t say anything just started following me. After 4 feet of having to push grass out of my face there was an opening. The trail. I smiled and looked at Laura, she looked more scared than she did before, which is understandable. She doesn’t even go to haunted houses for Halloween let alone haunted trails for no reason. I looked back up and headed straight into the opening. Just a few steps in and there was an intersection left or right. I leaned forward and looked in both directions, they were both so dark, I couldn’t see a thing. Something in me was telling me to go right so that’s the way we went. As soon as I took 2 steps into the right corridor it was lit up it looked like there were light stands in the grass. I guess that if it’s the right path it lights up but that’s just what I was hoping. Of course not before too long there was another fork in the road but this time there was 8 options. Laura looked at me with wide eyes. “Go back to the hotel,” I said, “I will meet you there.” “Are you crazy? I’m not going to leave my little sister in this haunted maze thing by herself,” she said back pretty loudly. “Fine,” I said and looked back at the paths. There was only 5 now. I started thinking to myself. “Will you just go back. I will be fine,” I said with attitude while  looking at Laura behind me. “No I will not. I am going to stay here in this stupid thing with you. Mom would kill me if I let something happen to you,” she said being loud again. I look back at the paths and there we only 2, forward or left. I looked at Laura with a grin, “Thanks for being so loud.” 

I tried looking down these two paths, again I can’t see anything. It looked like there was a light flickering in the left path so I decided to go down that one. I was no more than 3 steps in and the flickering stopped. The whole corridor turned black. “TURN AROUND!!” I yelled to Laura. She grabbed my arm and ran to the other path. As soon as my foot crossed the entrance of the left path a metal door with bars slammed down from above. The lights turned on in the straight path, the perfect amount of light to see what was happening to the left. There were spikes poking out of the grass, if Laura didn’t grab me I’d be dead right now. “What the hell did you get us into,” Laura said without even looking at me. Without saying a word I just started walking. Laura took a minute but she started walking too. After walking for what felt like hours there was a third fork in the road This time 3 options, left, right and straight. I stopped for a few seconds to think, everything in me was telling me to go to the left again or something else bad was going to happen. We’ve been walking straight for was too long so I turn right. The lights turned on. I breathed a sigh of relief and continued walking. 7 steps later and there was yet again another fork in the road. Straight or left. Again my body got a feeling to not go left without a second thought I kept walking straight. The path lit up just like the past ones except this one has a sign that says “WOW!” and then another one that says “Congratulations.” 

“See I told you we wouldn’t get lost,” I say looking at Laura. “Wow I’m so proud of you,” she says with a sarcastic tone. “Now get me out of here.” We walked a little farther and there was one last left turn. I stopped in my tracks but Laura kept walking. I grabbed her shirt at the last second and pulled her back. A metal door slammed on the toe of her sandal. “Now we’ve both saved each other,” I said with a grin. In the blink of an eye all the lights turned on and someone walked to us coming out of the grass. “Who the hell are you?” I asked confused. Then there was screaming coming from the left, there was someone trapped behind the door. They were grabbing the bars and yelling for help. “That’s enough they didn’t fall for it. They finished the trail,” said the mysterious man.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.