My Murder; My Story | Teen Ink

My Murder; My Story

By AimeeGee BRONZE, Toronto, Other
AimeeGee BRONZE, Toronto, Other

I feel as if I have just awakened from a bad dream. I am laying on my kitchen floor, and sense that something is not right. There’s a knock at the door. A middle-aged man has just let himself into my apartment. Who gave him the key to my apartment? My boyfriend Jerry is the only one with an extra key. This guy has rubber gloves on and is writing notes. He might be a policeman or detective of some sort. I am trying to get up and talk to him but I can’t move. I hear the detective talking to another person, “Lisa Wiseman, 24. This is her apartment. There was a foul smell coming from Lisa’s apartment. Her neighbour called it in. We were then called in to the apartment this morning. It appears she was murdered. Two stab wounds to the chest with a knife. The kitchen knife is lying beside her. It looks as if it has been wiped clean. Let’s bag it and bring it to the lab for some further testing.” Murdered? I’m dead? How can I be dead if I can see everything around me? Don’t they see me too? Who would want to kill me? Something is wrong. I do not remember anything from last night. I hear the detective talking again, “there is no evidence of forced entry. Everything seems to be in order. Her wallet is on the table nothing seems to be missing. She is fully dressed and there appears to be no evidence of rape. We will start by calling up her friends and family. This crime was committed by someone she knew.”

Those are my parents in there. They look so heartbroken. My mom looks as pale as a ghost. What have they told her? The detective is asking my mom if I had a boyfriend. My mom tells him that I have been seeing this fellow named Jerry for a few years. I met him at work two years ago, and I instantly fell in love. My mom was not too fond of Jerry because he had a bad temper. She tells the detective where Jerry lives. My dad is standing by silently not saying a word. He has his arm around my mom’s shoulder trying to comfort her. I was an only child and daddy’s little girl. They must be heartbroken.

The detective is driving along Erie Street. I know this road; this is my boyfriend’s street. He must be going to my boyfriend’s house. They stop at number 67. This is Jerry’s house. The detective walks to the front door, knocks, and waits for Jerry to open the door. No one comes to the door so the detective bangs louder; it looks like he is ready to knock the door down. Finally, Jerry comes to the door. He looks very dishevelled. He is wearing his favourite Mickey Mouse sweat pants that I bought for him last year when we visited Disney Land. The detective flashes his badge and asks Jerry if he can step inside and have a word with him. Jerry lets the detective inside. The detective starts off by showing Jerry a picture of me. Jerry responds, “That’s my girlfriend. What happened to her? Is she okay?” The detective tells Jerry that I was murdered last night. Jerry is in shock and disbelief “Who killed her? How could this have happened? We were together last night in her apartment watching a movie. When I left she was perfectly fine. She can’t be dead.” The detective then asks Jerry what time he arrived at my apartment. “I arrived there around eight o’clock. She had just finished eating dinner and our plan was to spend time together and watch a movie.” The detective asked Jerry what we watched. Jerry couldn’t remember the title of the movie but explained to the detective it was some chick flick that I wanted to see. He told the detective he agreed to the movie choice to make me happy. The detective then asked Jerry what time he left my apartment. Jerry told him he left around 9pm. “Did you finish watching the movie, or did you leave in the middle of the movie?” asks the detective. Jerry says he cannot remember whether the movie was finished or not. He remembers being very tired and going home. The detective then asks Jerry if he would come down to the station with him for further questioning. Jerry is very confused. He asks the detective why he is being brought down to the station for further questioning. The detective explains to Jerry that he was the last one to see Lisa alive and he is the prime suspect. Jerry is outraged. He starts yelling at the detective, “How am I the prime suspect? I love Lisa; I would never do anything to hurt her. You people should be out there looking for the real murderer. Stop wasting your time here and find out who actually killed Lisa. You people aren’t going to get anything out of questioning me. I didn’t do it. I am innocent. She was alive when I left.”

Jerry is at the police station being interrogated. Why are they interrogating Jerry? He loves me; he would never do anything to hurt me. The detective asks Jerry to recall his night step by step. “How did you get to Lisa’s apartment?” Jerry says he took the bus. The detective then asks Jerry if he drives. Jerry says he does have a car but his license is suspended because of a medical condition. Jerry often gets blackouts, which causes him unconsciousness or temporary memory loss. Sometimes Jerry is unable to recall certain situations because of his blackouts. The doctors have done many tests but still cannot find out the reason for his blackouts. They also haven’t been able to figure out the trigger to his blackouts. When Jerry is explaining his blackouts, the detective writes every word Jerry says down in his notebook. The detective must think this is a very important piece of information. “How long do these blackouts usually last?” asks the detective. Jerry’s longest blackout was two hours. He did not recall anything he had done for those two hours. However, the blackouts can be as short as 20 minutes. The detective looks up at Jerry and asks him, “is it possible that you had a blackout yesterday?” Jerry responds sarcastically, “The one thing about blackouts is that I don’t realize I am having one or have had one. However, usually after a blackout I feel very lethargic and groggy and I was feeling that as I woke up this morning. I don’t understand what any of this has to do with the murder of my girlfriend?” The detective then asks Jerry again, “so you are sure you don’t remember anything when you have blackouts?” Jerry is getting very angry. He is clenching his fists and answers angrily to the detective, “What don’t you understand. I do not remember anything during my blackouts. There’s nothing more to it. Are we done here?” The detective tells Jerry they are done for now but he must not leave town.

Why is the detective just sitting in his car? What is he waiting for? His cell phone rings and he picks it up quickly. “What did you come up with? Any new leads? Are you sure there were no prints on the knife? I’m going back to the apartment to make sure we didn’t miss anything.” In the car, the detective is talking aloud to himself, “I’m sure the boyfriend did it. He was the last one to see her alive. He has blackouts where he doesn’t remember anything he does. He also seems to have a bad temper. I just need to find some sort of evidence to tie him to the crime scene.”
We are now entering my apartment. There is so much dirt and footprints on my floor. It looks like hundreds of people have been through here. Don’t these people believe in taking off their shoes before they walk into someone else’s house? The detective is looking around. He first examines the pool of blood on my kitchen floor. He gets on his knees and pulls out a magnifying glass. He goes through every inch of the floor around the pool of blood. He finds no other evidence and moves to the kitchen where my knife block is. He carefully pulls out each knife to examine it. The detective shakes his head. It appears he hasn’t found any new evidence. He continues to examine every inch of the apartment. Going over everything with the magnifying glass. This takes him about 45 minutes. After he finishes examining the apartment he lets out a large sigh and says, “This bastard left no trace of himself.” We are about to leave the apartment building when the detective looks up and down the hallway. His face lights up when he sees that the building is equipped with security cameras. He immediately rushes to the superintendent’s office while saying to himself, “Dammit how can we have missed this?” He knocks on the door and Jean the superintendent opens the door. In typical Jean fashion she is wearing a red dress that is too tight and way too short for a woman of her age. The detective can’t seem to look away from her boobs, which are practically hanging out of her dress. He finally manages to look away from her check long enough to ask her if the security cameras in the hallways work. “Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t” responds Jean, “why do you ask? Is it about that girl who was murdered in apartment 305?” The detective asks Jean to pull up the security footage form last night. Jean does as she is told and goes to the camera room to retrieve the footage. She returns with the video. “You’re in luck. The hallway camera on the third floor was working last night. Here you go.” The detective thanks Jean and heads straight back to the station to view the footage.

This should be interesting; what could possibly be on that video that is going to help them. The detective sets up the video in the camera room. As he plays the video, you can see Jerry walking into my apartment. Then, Jerry is seen leaving my apartment shortly after. The detective mumbles to himself, “He entered the apartment at 8 o’clock and he said he left at 9 o’clock which checks out. However, the time of death was 9:30pm. Something does not make sense here.” The detective continues watching the tape and as he is about to shut it off, he sees a male knock on Lisa’s door and then enter the apartment. The male enters the apartment at 9:20pm and is seen leaving at 10:00pm. Who is this person? The detective rewinds the video and pauses it as the male is knocking on the door. He slams his fist hard on the desk and turns off the video.

Where are we driving to? This looks familiar. The detective pulls into a driveway and steps out of his car. He walks up the driveway and knocks on the door. I see my mother at the window. Can it be? Why are we here? My mother opens the door and asks the detective, “Did you find my daughter’s killer?” The detective asks my mother if my father is home. She calls him down. A few seconds later, my dad comes to the door. He looks shocked. “Did you find out who killed our daughter?” he asks the detective. The detective replies, “Mr. Wiseman, you are under the arrest for the murder of your daughter. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense.” As my father is being escorted into the police car my mother’s face is filled with disbelief and grief.

Why daddy, why? Why did you kill me? I thought you loved me. I was your princess, your special little girl. I know you didn’t like Jerry but I was in love with him. You wanted me to leave him but I wouldn’t.

I remember now. You came over after Jerry left. You and mom had just gotten into a fight because she wanted me to break up with Jerry. She expected you to do something about it. You stormed into my apartment yelling that I was too good for Jerry, that he wasn’t going anywhere in life. You were concerned for my safety when I was with him. You told me that if I were to ever see him again that you would disown me. I was begging and pleading with you to calm down. I tried to explain that Jerry had just left the apartment from a very nice evening of watching a movie. As soon as I mentioned that I had been with him this evening, you lost it. You started yelling things at the top of your lungs that I wasn’t able to make out. As you were yelling louder and louder, you came closer to me. I was afraid you were going to hit me. I had never seen you this angry before. I backed up into the kitchen to try and give us some distance. You continued to yell and come closer. I was so angry with you that I finally yelled back that I loved Jerry and nothing you said or did would change my mind. At that moment you had a murderous look on your face.

Why daddy, why?