The Keeper | Teen Ink

The Keeper

By futurenovelista SILVER, Staatsburg, New York
futurenovelista SILVER, Staatsburg, New York

"But I being poor have only my dreams...I place my dreams at your feet. Tread softly for you tread on my dreams." -Yeats

Momma had always told me that I’d love the homeland. She said things were simpler where she was born and that everyone had a specific job and lifestyle assigned to them. There were easy to follow laws and barely any conflicts between anybody. No one complained, and no one really argued, and couples joined young and never divorced, dying old with each other. She told me about how the weather never changed. It was cold all year round but no one really cared because the cold didn’t bother them. She said that when it snowed, roads never closed, and power never went out. There was no poverty, no sickness, no troubles, and no worries. Just simple. It was hard not to fall in love with such a place. I use to imagine me and my mom making snowmen in the vast snow plains she describes, letting the silver white snow fall onto our faces and laughing because things were easy, and our hearts were light. And she’d smile at me while we lay in the snow, smile like the way she always did when she explained her home. The full white, dazzling smile that makes me want to giggle like a school girl.
But Daddy didn’t like her smile. It made him mad. So mad that he wouldn’t stop hurting her until her white smile dripped with her blood. Daddy didn’t like Momma’s stories either. He’d catch her telling me all the great times she had as a child, or how she had been given a job as messenger and got to deliver messages to other worlds, and then call her a liar. Yell at her until she’d cry, or just hit her until she wouldn’t fight back. I didn’t understand why he disliked her so much. What had she done wrong? What had she ever lied about? Nothing I could remember. My beloved cat Zee would always wrap himself around my ankles, and tickle my toes when Daddy hurt Momma. It was like he was saying everything would be okay. And I’d believe him for a short while until Momma got hurt again.
Daddy didn’t like me either. He didn’t hit me, or yell at me like he did Momma, but he always ignored me, or looked at me with disgust. He never said happy birthday, or called me his little princess, or held my hand, or told me to stay away from boys like normal dads do. He just completely forgot I was his daughter. Sometimes I’d dream that he’d come to his senses and finally say to Momma, “Oh Kimberly, I have been such a fool! How could I have been so cruel to you?” and then turn to me with the same amount of apology, “And Phoebe! You are so beautiful! How could I have forgotten my little princess?” And then we’d all hug and kiss and sit around, laughing at one of Momma’s many stories while Zee purrs loudly as if he’s laughing too.
But those are just more dreams, and things could never be that simple.

*
*
*

“I want to cut my hair,” I tell Momma on my fourteenth birthday. We are sitting in the living room watching re-runs of Law & Order: SVU. She brushes my long black hair, and begins twisting it in a braid. I don’t have to look at her face to know she’s frowning.
“Why?” she asks simply. Everything with my mom is simple. Well, except for her relationship with Daddy.
“It’s too long, and it’s a pain to brush it. It gets caught on everything, and at night Zee likes to nest in it.”
Momma continues braiding my hair and completely ignores what I say. I give an exasperated sigh, and continue watching the episode.
“One day, I’m going to be like Detective Benson.”
“And in what ways exactly do you want to be like Olivia?” Momma replies.
I shrug, “I don’t know. I guess strong, independent, and pretty.”
Momma finishes my braid and turns me to face her. “One day you’ll be very strong and independent. And you already are very, very pretty. You get more beautiful each day.”
I crinkle my nose and put on a shy smile. “You’re my mom…you’re supposed to say that!”
Momma raises her eyebrows as if I had just given her a challenge. She leads me into the bathroom and puts me in front of the mirror. I stare at her reflection. Under all the scars and bruises, I can tell she was gorgeous once. She was still beautiful today, but not as pretty as she would’ve been if Daddy had kept away from her face. She had long black hair just like me, with a few silver strands. Her eyes were a stunning gray, like storm clouds. Her skin was pale, firm, smooth, and warm. Her lips were pink and thin, and were two tiny comforts when they made contact with your skin. She always smelled like rain, and if the moon had a scent, she’d smell like that too. I focus on my own reflection. Same long black hair, minus the silver strands. Same pale skin. Same lips, but mine were a little fuller. Were we differed was the eyes. Momma’s eyes had been a stormy gray. My eyes were a fierce blue. Daddy had blue eyes, but not the same color as mine. His were dull and lifeless. Mine seemed to always been filled with light. They were the kind of blue you see when lightning strikes; electrifying. There were tiny specks of gray and black too. Momma loved to call my eyes, “The Seas of Intensity”.
“Look at yourself, Phoebe,” she says, giving my shoulder a little shake. “You are so beautiful. You are so unique and special. I couldn’t have asked for a better gift than you.”
And then I stare into her stormy eyes and they fill with tears. She starts crying, and I feel like Daddy, I feel like I hurt her somehow, until she smiles and hugs me to her.
Zee walks into the bathroom and starts meowing as he rubs against Momma. She lets me go and then picks him up, scratching behind his ear. I try to ignore the pang of jealousy I feel. The black cat purrs loudly and his gray eyes look up at Momma.
“Yes, I know,” she says as she puts Zee back on the floor. “It is time.”

*

*

*

Momma wasn’t acting like herself. Ever since the night in the bathroom, she had been in some sort of frantic state, full of energy and floating around the house. Not even Daddy could bring her down. Momma would just brush aside his hurtful words and abuse as if it didn’t really mean anything. As if she was…bored.

This attitude only made Daddy angrier. He didn’t like feeling inferior. I could sense that. Momma had always told me I had a good way of sensing what people truly feel. Daddy’s emotions always confused me. Momma was pretty simple. She was always homesick and unhappy. But her love for me and even Daddy, and her special mission seem to overpower those feelings. Daddy, on the other hand, was more complicated. He always seemed to be angry and disappointed. But then when I focus really hard, I see the things that never seem to make it to the surface. He holds in all his sadness, regrets, confusion, and longing. And then I start to feel conflicted. I don’t know whether to make him the enemy or to feel bad for him. Momma never seems to get mad at him. Do I even have the right?

Momma’s fussing didn’t really faze me until the day she came into my classroom with Zee in her arms, both of them soaked wet from the ragging thunderstorm outside. She said she was taking me home. I said goodbye to the little friends I had, especially Adam Nutter, my crush of the month. Momma tugged on my hair and the next thing I know we’re running through the hallways of Ridge Mont High School.

“Momma, what’s going on?” I asked, trying to hold in my panic. But it was like she couldn’t hear me anymore.

“It’s time, it’s finally over. My mission is complete,” she murmurs over and over again. We’ve exited the school building and were running through the parking lot to where an old beat up truck waited, motor still going, doors still open.

“Momma, where did you get that car?” Momma didn’t own a car, and that definitely wasn’t Daddy’s Chevy. I didn’t even know Momma could drive.

Momma roughly shoves me in the passenger seat and throws Zee into my lap. She slams the door and runs over to the driver’s side and slams her door before she’s barely seated. She stomps on the gas and the car lurches forward. My ribs crush violently against the dash board and I lose my breath for a long while. Zee meows loudly and I pet him reassuringly. I quickly fasten my seatbelt before I let Momma’s driving be a further detriment to my health.

“It’s time...” she chants. It’s all she can say.

“It’s time for what Momma? What is it time for?” I don’t even know why I asked. She was out of it. She was too far gone to even hear me.

My clothes are soaked and my hair is a wet stringy mess. My nose starts dripping and I sniff the mucus back up. I couldn’t see anything in this forsaken rain. It was late fall, in upstate New York, and we were in the middle of November. It was extremely cold and the rain water on my clothes seemed to sink into my skin and freeze my bones. I tried to focus on Momma. To see if I could feel what she was feeling. But I couldn’t connect to her anymore. The thought saddened me. I decided to let her be. Momma was doing just fine, and if anything happened, I had the feeling she could handle it. I was exhausted and I couldn’t fight the urge to close my eyes any longer.

But just as I was about to rest, Momma stomps on the brake and the car starts spinning in circles. My heart stops, and my airway closes and I struggle to breath. My fear was choking me, tightening my muscles, and all I wanted to do was scream. The car skids to a stop, and I say a thank you to whatever invisible force that saved our lives.

I look over at Momma, and her eyes are wide with awe. Her mouth hangs open in a half surprised, half smiling sort of way. At first, I just concluded that she had gone crazy. But then I saw the light. Not the light people supposedly see when they are dying, but a real, tangible light. The rain seemed to clear away from it, and I gasp. It was like someone had just ripped a hole in the Earth, and the lights of the galaxy were streaming into the atmosphere. It was unreal, and yet there it was, no more than fifteen feet away.

“Momma?” My voice is full of question and fear.

Momma looks over at me and smiles. She takes my hand and small tears start to fall from her face. “Home.”

She helps me from the car and Zee jumps from his hiding spot under my chair. I had completely forgotten about him. I pick him up and stroke behind his ears and enjoy the sounds of his soft purrs. Momma leads me closer to the rip of light and the air gets chillier the closer I get to it. My fear starts to weigh me down, and Momma notices. She frowns down on me like I had just spoiled everything and puts her hands on my cheeks.

“This is where I’ve been telling you about Phoebe. This is where I belong. Were we both belong. In a good, and simple world. I have waited fifteen years to be back. We are too special Phoebe. The world can’t handle us.” She kisses me on my cheek and then pulls me into her arms. “This is our home,” she pulls me a step closer to the light and gives me a small smile. “Come, I’m growing impatient.”

I hold on to the warmth in my mother’s smile, and place my trust in her. She guides me through the light and I surrender to the cold. I surrender to her stories of simple living. I surrender to the idea of finally being home.

Introducing a very important character in this chapter: Ben

I had willingly followed Momma into that strange rip of light and was lead into this completely new world. Zelbrem.

Momma hadn’t been kidding when she said that the place was simple. It was a really big town surrounded by a thick forest, which showed no signs of life. The buildings were made of stone and wood. Nothing advanced architecturally. They looked like they were made just to be sturdy, not appealing. There was a big lake at the southern end of the town, where the forest grows thickest. It had frozen over, and had looked like there had never been a time when it wasn’t solid ice. There was a huge hill at the north of the town, and at its base-leading toward the forest- was a flat grassy area, that seemed appropriate for gathering. Blinding fog seemed to snake between building after building, and no matter what time of day, it never really lifted. It was cold, just like she had said, but I didn’t see any snow. Just frost clinging to the tips of grass and the bark of trees. Zelbrem was simple, just like Momma had described. But what she hadn’t described was the lack of color. Everything was black, gray, or white. The only thing that seemed to differ in color were the people, and even then, everybody’s hair was black, their eyes all gray, their skin pale. I was the only thing that stood out in this strange world. I had blue eyes and my skin had a rosy undertone to it. In a place like this, I stood out like a soar thumb. My first day, stepping into this unfamiliar place, and I remember everyone staring at us. It seemed that all the towns’ people had completely stopped what they were doing in order to get a better look at us. Their gray eyes were questioning, they were unsure of what I really was.

“Momma, do they have to stare?” I asked in hushed tones.

Momma laughed. “They’re just curious, honey. In time they will get used to it.”

I nodded and squeezed Momma’s hand. We walked through the town and I tried my best to not be so self conscious, to ignore all the stares.

It was extremely cold and I couldn’t stop shivering. I couldn’t understand how Momma could be so warm. My fingers were frozen and my breath wasn’t even warm enough to give them some relief. My heart beat felt as if it was slowing down too. It was Momma’s happy face that had kept me from panicking. We walked into a building that had words etched into the side. It definitely wasn’t English, and I was pretty sure it wasn’t any other Human language, but I could read it. It scared me that I knew the sign said “Traveler Hall”. We walked into the building and it was slightly warmer in the small plain lobby. A short man stood behind a plain wooden desk and his eyes widened when he saw Momma and me. He didn’t look like he could be any older than thirty. He had spiky black hair and the same stormy gray eyes as Momma. His skin looked clammy and he twitched a little like he was on edge or nervous. Momma smiles widely when she sees him and approaches the desk, which seems to make him even twitchier.

“I have finished my mission, and have brought back my child from the Human Dimension.” Momma said in the same language as the sign. I was in total shock. How could I understand if this is my first time hearing it?

The man swallowed, and cracked his knuckles. “Name?”

“Zeirla, what is yours?” I look at Momma with raised eyebrows. Her name was Kimberly. It’s the name she uses to sign all my school forms. My mind was racing and I was getting a little light headed. What was going on?

“I am Zerron. And what is the child’s name?”

“Phoebe. And her guardian’s name is Zee.” Zee meows when he hears his name. Zee was my guardian? What has he ever done to protect me?

Zerron nods. “I assume the child had not reached her time yet? Her branding is almost among us. Maybe three or four seasons.”

Momma looks down at me and pets my hair. “Wartime is almost among us. Her time will defend us.”

“Yes, and the Kranalins will be defeated for their crime.”

There is a long awkward silence and I stare back and forth between Momma and Zerron.

After what seems like minutes, Momma let’s go of my hand and leans in closer to Zerron. Her voice is filled with impatience. “When can I go to the Recording Room to record the success of my mission?”

Zerron opens his mouth to reply, but is interrupted.

“After you have spoken with me,” a deep voice, not belonging to Zerron, says.

I turn around and I see a very tall man. He must’ve been at least seven feet tall. He was bald, and his eyebrows were shaven off. His eyes were more black then gray, and his lips seemed to be in a permanent frown line. His eyes were emotionless when he glanced towards me.

“Zorrack. It has been a long time. How is your family?”

Zorrack’s eyes apprehended Momma. “I have a boy. He is right outside. Benjamin!”

A boy came into the lobby and stood next to is father. I stare at Benjamin. He is also tall like his father, but he has a buzz cut, and his eyebrows weren’t shaven. His eyes were like Zorrack’s also. He seemed to have the same emotionless expression as his father, and when I tried to read his emotion it was just as empty as his facial expression.

“A handsome boy he is, Zorrack. And this is my girl Phoebe.” I walk over to Momma and lean against her. She drapes her arms over my shoulders and rests her chin of on the top of my head.

“I’m guessing she’s a hybrid?” Zorrack ask.

“Yes. Half Zembler, half Human.” Momma replies.

Benjamin’s eyebrows raise and then sink into a look of disgust. I tried my best not to be offended.

“The Elders would like to speak with you Zeirla. It’s about…the child.”

Momma releases me and nods. “I suspected as much. But where am I supposed to leave her while I go? She is not familiar with this place, and I am not sure the others will treat her kindly.”

Zorrack looked at Benjamin, “He will take her to your old living quarters. She will be fine as long as she listens to him.”

“But father, I don’t want to guide that thing-”

“Hush boy! Do not be rude. You will do as I say.”

Benjamin looked at me with hatred filled eyes. “We will go now father.”

Benjamin makes a gesture as if to follow him. I look at Momma and she nods her head to tell me that I would be fine. When I start to follow Benjamin, I realize that he too has a black cat. Zee leapt from my arms when he saw her. I guess he was excited to have a playmate.

Walking besides Benjamin was awkward. The fact that he wouldn’t even acknowledge my presence frustrated me.

“I’m Phoebe,” I said, in hopes of conversation.

“I know that.”

Then I’d look down at Zee and the female cat and smile because it looked like they were playing tag with each other.

“Our cats seem to be getting along. I’m glad Zee has a friend.”

“They’re not cats, and Zahra and Zee are not friends. Neither are we.”

I would’ve been angrier at his statement if I wasn’t distracted by his earlier comment.

“They’re not cats?” I asked incredulously.

Benjamin sighed, “No, they just look like cats. They are Guardians of War, protectors sent from our planet. They just look like cats to blend in, just like we look like humans.”

As we walked through the town, the townspeople stared at us, some people with looks of curiosity, others with disgust like Benjamin.
“Why are they all staring at me?”
“You’re a freak; vermin. Now shut up. I do not wish to speak to you anymore.”

Ouch. That stung. How was I a freak? How was I vermin? What had I done to him?

“You’re a bully. You are just like my daddy,” I whisper. Thinking of Daddy made me wonder if he had found out that Momma and I had gone. Was he mad? I forced myself not to care.

Ben looked at me with furious eyes. “Then your father must’ve been a smart man.”

I couldn’t believe he had said that. It hurt me hearing him say nice things about Daddy. After all he did to us, did to my mother, it made me very angry. My breath started to shorten, and my hands curled into fist. I stopped following Ben, and remained stationary as the heat started to build up inside me. Benjamin looked back at me, as if to yell at me, but instead his eyes grew big in shock.

I could feel Zee at my ankles, willing me to calm down, but all I could think about was Ben and how much I’d like to kill him. In his eyes, I could see the flash of blue, and I knew that I was radiating that light. This wasn’t the first time that it had happened.

I remember Daddy beating Momma on Thanksgiving last year. It was supposed to be a special day. Momma had gone all out that year with decorations and the food. The turkey, apple pie, lasagna, string peas with almonds, cranberries, and pumpkin custard were so mouth watering. There were lit candles everywhere, and ribbons of orange, red, and yellow all around the room. I remember feeling at peace and warm and fuzzy. But then Daddy had to ruin it. He wouldn’t eat her food; he tore down the ribbons, and even threatened to light Momma on fire. I remember feeling so angry, feeling the heat surge through me. My eyes started to burn and hot angry tears began streaming down my cheeks. My breaths had shortened, and my mouth was dry. Momma had looked at me with amazement, but Daddy had looked at me with fear. I could see the blue reflecting on their faces and Daddy began to scream. He doubled over in pain as I focused harder on him, his skin began to turn red and he started to roll. I kept thinking about the flame he had held so close to Momma’s face, and let all the hatred I had for him fuel whatever power was helping me do this. I loved watching him suffer. He deserved it.

“Stop Phoebe,” Momma called softly. “You can stop now.”

I let her words soak into my skin and cool me down. Slowly the light faded, and all that power I had felt before, seemed to have just evaporated. Daddy had passed out, and was lying in his fluids. I began to shake as I looked at what I had done.

“Momma, I…I…I’m so-” I started crying. “What did I do?”

Momma was by my side instantly hugging me to her chest and rubbing my shoulders. “You are a very special girl, Phoebe. Very special.”

Momma had cleaned Daddy up and had put him in bed, setting up a bottle of beer and his pain medication on his bedside table.

“That way,” she said, “he’ll think it was all a dream.”

I had learned later on that I never actually burned Daddy. I just made him believe that he was on fire. I made him feel the pain he wanted Momma to feel. Momma said that I had to control my anger, that I would be no better than him if I continued to use my gift for the wrong reasons.

It was remembering her say that, that made me relax. I could see the bright blue dim. Ben looked at me expectantly and cautiously as if to tell me that I had to explain myself. I could tell that he was afraid of me and thought of me as even more of a freak. “What in the name of Zelbrem was that?” he shouted! He kept a good distance between us.

I just picked up Zee and gave him an oblivious look as if I had no idea what he was talking about. “It’s just a trick I learned…all humans can do it,” I lied.

He didn’t seem to believe me, but I notice his fear filled eyes return back to their emotionless state.

We arrived at a tall brick building that kind of looked like an apartment complex. “This is where Traveler’s and their families stay. Zima at the front desk will take you to your room.” His words were curt and without even a backwards glance, Ben ran off.

Kinda short and maybe a little confusing, but I had to insert all this information before I could move on to the good stuff. Enjoy.

It has been exactly three years, eight months, and twenty one days since I walked through the light with Momma. I know this because the clock labeled Human helps me count. The Dimension Room, in the Records Hall, has kept all important information about the other dimensions. Information on the Human Dimension is what always brings me to the Dimension Room.

I sit at my desk in the R.H. and keep my face down like Zima had taught me. Zima is the only one in Zelbrem who actually talks to me like I’m normal. She works at the front desk in the lobby of the Traveler living quarters where I stay alone. Momma had left me here.
Soon after we arrived in Zelbrem, she had been called on another mission. This time to Byrren, to talk with the Byrrenites about some new technology the Kranlins developed. Something about messages sent through dreams? We had only been in Zelbrem for a month, or rather 30 risings, before she left me in this strange world. I was left to fend for myself, defend myself, and take care of myself. Of course Zee was with me but I still didn’t think of her as anything more than a pet. I was her guardian, not the other way around.

Zima had been there for me. When everyone else seemed hell-bent on shunning me and making me feel unwelcome, she had taken care of me and assumed the role as my mother, while Momma became more and more of a stranger. I have seen Momma only twice since she left for her mission.

Zima was unlike any of the other Zemblers. She had short, spiky hair and black eyes that shined bright. She was always smiling and laughing and never said unkind words to anyone. She had a mate named Zai who she would always talk about. He was a traveler like my mom, and Zima rarely got to see him also. Zima didn’t care that I was a hybrid. She saw past that. I don’t know where I’d be without her. She had gotten me a position at the Records Hall so I could keep in touch with the things going on in the Human Dimension. I didn’t want to be here anymore, in this cold, dark realm where things never changed. I miss my hometown. I miss my school. I miss being oblivious and just being human. But those things were far from me now. I didn’t fit in anywhere. I wasn’t one hundred percent human, or Zembler. I was a freak of nature. Ben made sure I remembered that.

There are schools in Zelbrem, which are only available to children between ten and eighteen seasons. I hated the school. It was completely different from Ridge Mont, or any human school for that matter. We didn’t have math, literature, language, or science classes. There was only Zembler History, and war training. Zembler history was confusing. There were no textbooks, no videos- absolutely nothing that I could use to fill up my knowledge on the subject. All I had was our instructor Zed’s words. He spoke in a monotone voice which made it practically impossible to pay attention. Ben, on the other hand, seemed to always know the answer to every question, as if the information was burned into his brain. Every time I would answer something wrong or fall asleep in class, he’d make it known to the class that I was inferior, a meek human who couldn’t handle the complexity of Zembler education. Instructor Zed would always frown at me as if he expected more. I have barely learned anything. The only thing I picked up on from my three seasons in his class was our reason for being on Earth. War.

Out of fear that war would completely destroy our home planets, we and the Kranalis made a treaty. We were to keep peace on our home planets and fight somewhere else. Earth was somehow chosen and then using alien technology, dimensions were created to house soldiers and their families. That was over one hundred seasons ago and yet we were still here, still hiding in these dimensions waiting for the new war to be called, with the new generation of fighters. We copied the image of humans, just in case they accidentally discovered one of our dimensions.
I was in the “New War Generation.” Soon, on my eighteenth birthday, or season, I’d be branded with the rest of the fellow Zemblers in my generation. I will be assigned some sort of task that will help the war effort. I was hoping to get Recorder. I’d be the one that keeps track of victories, losses, and deaths. It was an easy and simple job, and one that could be done at the R.H. I didn’t want to partake in an alien war. I didn’t want to be involved with any of these people. Especially if this effort was led by Ben and his stupid mate Maloney.
Ben was going to be the Warrior. It was one of the greatest honors to be chosen as warrior and protector of the people. He was the most qualified for the position-no one knew as much about the Kranalis, or about fighting as Ben did. No one doubted the position would be his. Maloney and Ben had chosen each other as mates. They had been together for as long as I could remember. Maloney was pretty, with long black hair that flowed off her head like liquid. Her eyes were scary in my opinion. They were sort of on the light side, a really translucent shade of gray. She had a cloud of mystery around her since she never said much except to Ben. She planned on being the Keeper. The Keeper had to be the most important role in not only the upcoming war but in all Zembler society. The Keeper had the responsibility of “keeping” the scared Orb of Truths. That stupid Orb is the only reason why we’re having a war in the first place. A century ago, Zembler terrorist had destroyed the Watching Eye of the Kranalis monk. The monk, infuriated by the destruction of the Kranalis holy item, had the Orb of Truths broken into pieces. War had been declared, but without the Watching Eye for the Kranalis, and the Orb of Truths for us Zemblers, no moves were made to fight other than residing on Earth in the constructed war zones. But not too long ago, maybe ten seasons, the Orb and Eye reappeared-like reincarnations- and since then both sides have been preparing for the war’s beginning. The Keeper was the only one who would have access to the Orb and use it’s powers. The Orb chooses the Keeper. And the Keeper in return watches over it and uses its powers to deliver our people from our enemies who want to destroy us. It was a huge responsibility and Maloney wanted it more than anyone, only for one reason. The Keeper must marry whoever is chosen as Warrior.
Time goes by everyday, and I count down the hours on the Human dimension clock, watch the seconds of my life dwindle away to nothing in this lonely place. I don’t want to be here anymore. Nothing was simple in this place. Matters of fact, things were very complicated. I didn’t want to be in this war, I didn’t want to be a fighter. I didn’t want to be a hybrid, or a freak. But it wasn’t my choice. The Orb of Truths and time will determine my fate.

I promise that I will update quicker next time...thanks for all the comments and votes. Enjoy!

Normal teenagers usually can’t wait until they turn eighteen. They’re an adult, they can vote, they go off to college. But not me. It was the night of the branding. The first Elder of Zelbrem would lead us into the frost covered fields where the Keeper would display the Orb and have it scan us for our futures. This moment was crucial; we were going to actually see the Orb. The Orb who’s magic runs deep within all of our veins. It may run a little deeper and may be more deluded in my blood, but still. It almost made me feel like I belonged in this place.
In my small apartment, I smooth out my black tunic and pants. I stare at my plain white walls and furniture and try to control the nerves that surged through my body. I wasn’t ready for this. Zee stirred at my feet and I collect him into my arms. He purrs softly and I scratch behind his ears. Zee had always had a way of relaxing me, but not today. Not when the rest of my life was in the hands of some glass ball. I put Zee aside and fall back onto my cold, stiff bed. What if things went wrong? What if the Orb sensed my secret? When I first had arrived in Zelbrem, it hadn’t taken me very long to realize I was the only one with my “gift”. Momma had warned me to keep it to myself because people already had a hard time excepting me and I shouldn’t try to give them more reasons. So I listened to her. Zima didn’t even know. I wanted to tell her but Momma’s words had frightened me and I wasn’t going to risk losing my only friend. What if the Orb scanned me and rejected me because I was half human? What if it sees what I can do?
My nerves caused my stomach to cramp, and I clenched my teeth to endure the pain. A single knock from the door forces me out of my weakened position and to the door. I hesitated before opening it though. “Who is it?” I ask. Usually I never ask, only one person ever came to my room-Zima. But I didn’t feel quite like myself, hence me asking who was at the door.
“Zurroy from the Messenger Hall,” a male voice responded.
Wow. I must’ve picked the right day to be paranoid. I opened the door. Without even looking at the man in front of me he placed a thin, translucent tablet in my hand. He then walked away without another word and I shut the door. I sat on my bed and ran my fingers over the smooth screen of the video message transmitter. It came to life immediately and my mother’s face came into view.
“Phoebe,” she said with a smile that crept slowly across her face. Her skin looked darker, liked she had been in the sun for a long time. Her hair looked grayer too. I shuddered at her sight. It was like I barely even knew her anymore. My own mother looked like a stranger.
“Hello Momma,” I say softly. I fight back the tears that surfaced. I hadn’t spoken to her since I was sixteen. “How is your mission?”
“I’m getting more and more information each day. The Byrrenites are very skilled inventers.”
I sigh, “I bet they are Mother. Why is it that you sent me this message request?”
Momma’s eyebrow raised in confusion, “Is there something wrong with me wanting to speak with my lovely eighteen year old daughter on her birthday and branding?”

I collapsed back onto the bed with the transmitter held firmly in front of my face. “Ugh, don’t remind me.”

“You aren’t excited?”

I scoffed, “Why would I be. These people don’t want me here and I don’t want to be here. I think I should just skip this whole stupid branding thing.”

“Why are you saying such foolish things Phoebe?”

“Because they are true!” I was tempted to throw the transmitter across the room but resisted. Instead I began to cry, hard. The cramping in my stomach grew fiercer and I dry heaved over the edge of my bed.

“My poor baby. I wish I was there to comfort you. Seeing you in pain hurts me so much-”

“But not enough for you to come back and take me home!” I shouted at her.

There was a long silence on her end as I continued to cry and dry heave. Why wasn’t she here for me? Everyone else got to have some family member support them on this day and all I had was my absent mother through a piece of glass. Lucky me.

“It wasn’t easy for me, leaving you behind in Zelbrem. But I had to Phoebe. It’s my job. Do you think I like having you all alone there? No! I would give away my arms and legs if it meant I could be there with you right now. But I can’t. There is a war coming Phoebe. And there are problems much bigger than you and me being apart. You are eighteen now. An adult. You don’t need me as much as you think you do. You are strong, and you are independent Phoebe, and you grow more beautiful every time I see you. I am proud of you, and I love you. And no matter how many planets or dimensions apart I am from you, just know that you are always in my thoughts.”

I cried some more but took comfort in her words. After a few minutes, I regained my composure and the stomach cramps subsided. “I miss you.”

“And I you.” She smiled, “Now tell me, what position are you hoping to receive from the Orb?”

“Recorder,” I reply plainly.

Momma laughed, “Taking the easy way out I see.”

“I’m not a fighter Momma,” I say, rolling my eyes.

She shook her head, “But you are my dear. You don’t know how strong you are.”

We talked like this for about an hour and it felt good connecting with her again. It felt good having her again, even if it wasn’t tangible.

“I’m scared Momma, what if something doesn’t go right? What if the Orb just tells everyone what they already know? That I’m a huge freak who doesn’t belong anywhere.”

“That’s impossible.”

“How?”

“The Orb only shows the truth. And what you said darling, is far from it. You are special.”

“You’re only saying that because I can do that whole emotion thing…”

“No, honey, you are special all together. But speaking of your gift, you haven’t been using it right?”

I nodded my head.

“And you haven’t told anyone about it yet?”

I nodded again. “I kept it a secret like you said. Not even Zima knows.”

“Good. I have some theories about your powers, but I need to know how your branding goes first.” Momma seemed to be in deep concentration and I was curious to know what she was thinking about, but didn’t have the nerve to ask.

“You’re going to send another transmitter message after the branding?”

Momma laughed, “No silly, the one you have now is yours. I bought it for you as a birthday gift.”

My eyes widened. “Wow! Thanks, this is really cool. I only get to touch these things in the R.H. or when Zima lets me play with hers.”

“I’m glad you like it. Now listen, you message me after the Branding and you let me know how things go down. Don’t you dare leave a single detail out okay?”

I nodded my head in agreement.

She gave me her dazzling smile. At least one thing about her didn’t change. I smiled in return. “Now go down to the lobby. One of the elders should be there at any second to take you to the decision grounds. I don’t want to make you late on such an important day.”

“Okay Momma.” Just when I was about to shut off the screen, she called my name.

“Phoebe?”

“Yes Momma?”

“Know that I love you, no matter what happens, okay? You are always special to me.”

“Thanks. I love you too.”

“Happy birthday!” And with that, her screen went blank, and the transmitter was translucent again. I placed it on my plain white desk and stood. I ran my hands through my black hair and washed my face with cold water. I then took several breaths and stretched out my tense muscles. I tried to look for Zee but he was nowhere in sight, and I decided that I has bigger things to worry about than my cat. I’ll look for him later.

“I can’t do this,” I whispered over and over again to myself. But after replaying Momma’s words, I knew I had to. So without giving myself a chance to back down, I turned off the light and walked out the door. It was about time I met my destiny, and on what a better day to do that, than my birthday?

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Worries are like weights and weights keep you down, so let go of your worries and fly,"

Also my book is up now so if u could check it out that's be gr8 I'm gOnna check ousone more of ur work now

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

I love this story. Very discriptive;) and the plot is very original and the characters agree so deep. Great job. ;)

CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

"You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, that's the sad truth. Maybe they'll break your heart, maybe you'll break their heart and never be able to look at yourself in the same way. Those are the risks. The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable. That's the burden. Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs, but they are a burden that lifts us. Burdens which allow us to fly..."
-Dr. Jack Hodgins (Bones)

I love this story, although you really left me wanting a sequel.

One question:

Did Phoebe's mom ever tell her dad about what they were?

I just thought that might be an explanation why Phoebe's dad was so abusive.

Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Love is not someone you can live with, love is someone you can't live without."

"Always stand up for what's right even if that means you're standing alone."

So intriguing!  You sucked me in right from the start!  I love it!

marchbutterfly GOLD, Orange, New Jersey

"When you play God, you get screwed."

This story is so interesting. I'e only read the first chapter but so far I think it's really good.

on Mar. 15 2012 at 9:16 am
SummerSkies BRONZE, Antioch, Tennessee

"If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?"- Lily Tomlen

I'm in love with the first chapter. It's always hard to start off right but you knew exactly what to do. Amazing job. :)

evnewman BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
This is amazing! intriguing and suspensful! i like the characters and the writing! its very descriptive and just good writing in general! keep writing

Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

This is very good! great read! It sounds a lot like a short story I'm working on right now. it intrigued me when I read the summary about phoebe, the one thing I found strange was the use of "Momma" so many times you might have been able to use pronouns for some of those. but overall very good job!