Hollow Hearts | Teen Ink

Hollow Hearts

November 18, 2018
By LivvyWrisinger BRONZE, Lees Summit, Missouri
More by this author
LivvyWrisinger BRONZE, Lees Summit, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Marry rich, and love will come later."


Author's note:

This idea has been floating around in my head for a solid 2 years, but I finally started writing.

PEOPLE
Aelyth: Ay-li-th
(Aelee Ay-lee)
Aria: Are-ee-ah
Tora: Tore-a
Elaena: Ee-Lane-ah
Ethaniel: Ee-tha-nee-el
Soer: Saw-er

PLACES
Tuath: Too-ath
Vasarys: Vah-sah-reh-s
Kanlurasande: Can-lure-eh-San-de
Miania: My-ah-nee-ah

Let's get one thing straight...
Aelyth... She's my other half. My soulmate. My person. My best friend. I never meant to hurt her. 
When she was disgraced, I went to avenge her.

I would do anything to change the way this story plays out.

Don't blame me.

She is not to be trusted. Whatever she tells you, don't listen. She is the reason our country is in ruins. And to think that this started over 3 pieces of cloth. They say that those with hair the color of fire were sent by the devil, but they were wrong. The real devil?

Those with hair the color of ash.

Because we may do the burning, but they are the reason we burned.

It's funny how your life changes when you have a younger sibling.

My life was beautiful, perfect until my sister was born. Granted, it was a mere half hour, but it was the best half hour of my life. Imagine: everyone being in awe of me, the new and so far, only heir to the Tuathian throne.

Life is amazing. Then, all of a sudden, mother gives out a muffled, but loud, moan of pain. All of the attention is diverted back to her. the midwives rushing to her side.

Then, out comes another baby. An off-putting one too. It has dark brown tuffs of hair. As soon as the head midwife declares that the baby is a girl, my mother names us both.

She declares me Aelyth Ruby Coralina Ness, Princess of Tuath. My sister is named Aria Raven Victoria Ness, Princess of Tuath.

This was the start of our story.

They look so innocent, the fifteen-year-old princesses had their hair braided in a wreath wrapping their heads. I couldn't help laughing at the spectacle. Aelyth's hair looked like the Blood Oaks (named for their deep red color in the autumn) a mere fortnight ago. Whereas, Aria's resembled the nests found in the trees native to the north. They were bundled up in their pilling layers of cloaks and cold weather wear, their little hands wrapped in winter gloves, made to fight the Northern winters of Tuath.

Upon contemplating what to do with my hair, I decided to wrap my long, honey blonde braid around my head just like my daughters. "Elizana," I called out to one of my ladies, "Would you please fetch my cloak? The red one with gold accents?"

Elizana muttered with a quick, "Yes, Majesty," and a curtsy before walking off to get my cloak. It used to belong to my mother before the late Queen died. I used to trace the spiraling gold accents that floated a foot from the bottom.

"Thank you, Elizana." I breathe wrapping the cloak around me, and called my daughters over, "Girls, it's time to go! We want your father's horses to be healthy and beautiful when he returns from visiting your Aunt Kenna, don't we?"

Aelee looked up from her game of chess with Arie to say "Yes Mama," turning to face Arie, she said "Come on, Arie, you've been in checkmate for a solid fifteen minutes. Give up."

"Ugh, fine. But can we get Silver a carrot first? She hasn't had anything but oats for two weeks!"

"Yes darling, of course. Come along now." Elizana brought the carrot to Arie before opening the door. The girls and I walked out into the bitter cold early Winter.

~·~·~

The winter air bit at my nose. I miss being younger when I was able to wear the extra material on scarves to cover my nose. Once you get married, it is custom to discard those scarves from your wardrobe and pass them on to your daughters.

The frostbite now nipped at my bare nose, turning it red and numb.

I did not realize that Arie was lagging behind until Aelee uttered a yelp of pain followed by a laugh that was undoubtedly Arie's. I knew, without having to turn around, that Arie had hit Aelee in the back with a snowball. "Aria," I cautioned, "if you are going to be so rude to your sister, I am afraid we will have to turn around and return you to the castle and you will help Mrs. Punge and Loria in the kitchen. I am sorry to admit that they have already starting to prepare for your father's Homecoming Ball tomorrow." I saw the look of regret on her face. I know how she hates working in the kitchen, nonetheless when the kitchen staff is preparing for a large, elaborate meal. After a pause, I continued, "So, you have two options, or I guess three. You can continue being rude to Aelee, forcing us to turn around and escort you back to the castle where you may choose between helping Mrs. Punge in the kitchen or having the courtyard locked and having the staff ordered not to let you out. Or you may take the suitable option of being nice to Aelyth. It is your call."

"I am sorry, Aelee," she apologized. Receiving a phrase of forgiveness from her twin.

~·~·~

After returning back to the castle, the girls and I head to Samanthanna's Dress Shope. It takes an hour to walk there, but its worth it. After we leave the Castle gates, Aelee asks me, "Mama, why don't we ever take one of the carriages?"

"Well, darling," I respond, "Our skirts certainly wouldn't get as dirty. And it would be quicker, that's true. But, when we walk, it seems like we are more connected to our people. That we care about them, which we do. It also gives them a sense of security. They are much less likely to revolt against the throne if they feel connected to us."

"But Mama, walking is such a pain I mean, the peasants don't have to walk in such terrible heels."


"They are not peasants, Aelyth," I corrected, "They are commoners and no, they don't have to wear the same shoes as us, but, you picked those shoes out this morning you knew we would be walking. Arie and I chose to wear flats."

~·~·~

Tonight is important. It was not only Davin's homecoming, but it was also a presentation ball. All of the eligible bachelors from noble families would be in attendance, trying to win the hearts of the princesses.

It was a political move rather than a romantic one, Tuath needed heirs. And the only way one could achieve that was marriage, which worked for our girls, seeing as they will be the ones the bachelors gravitated towards.

Let's just hope it works.

I love balls.


I know Aelyth used to, but now, she has convinced herself that it's just a scheme to give into the patriarchy that is Monarchy.

I just can't wait to find my future consort and finally have someone to take over some of my jobs, other than Aelee, that is. She always gives me a headache.

~·~·~

I arrive to the drawing room late. Aelee and Mama are already gathered there, sitting on the fainting sofa working on  their cross stitch.  At least I am not last to arrive. Our 11-year-old brother, Aron, and Father have yet to arrive. As I enter, Mama rises from her fainting sofa to greet me. She then rubs my arms, "Aria, you look stunning," She coos.

I thank her, while dipping into a deep curtsy. She and Aelyth start arguing with each other in voices that sound like they are best friends, which is far from the truth.

I walk over the mirror hanging  on the wall opposite of the entrance. My reflection hasn't changed since I left my chambers.

My hair has been pulled into a chignon bun at the back of my head. A lock of wavy hair on either side framed my face, making it look even more pale that usual. Atop my head lay a diadem that belonged to my gran, the late Queen Mother. It was known as "the Million Fanar Diadem" for the cost it took to make; however, I think that it was a steal. The diadem shows of a total of  12 small diamonds and 4 small rubies that are purely for decoration. The main focus of the diadem is an oval shaped ruby 5 centimeters in diameter, perched at the top of the diadem.

My dress flows blood red from top to bottom and has a sweetheart neckline, which harmoniously reveals the stylish dress worn below it. The smooth, tightly pulled fabric of her corset covers her stomach where the continuous flow is brought to a halt by the corset-turned-bodice. It is the same material as the skirt, other than the fact that the bodice is embroidered with gold vines. Below the waist, the dress opens up to the left and right to reveals the black chiffon below.

I am pulled back to reality by my father and brother entering the room. Mama curtsies to Father, as he says "Anne, my love, it is great to see you," he caresses her cheek as she rises, she crosses the room to continue her needle work. He then turns to Aelyth and I we dip into a deep curtsy, and we rise at the same time. We do this every time, it looks like a coincidence, when in reality, at the age of 4, we were told that we would not get dinner until we performed our new trick to our parents.

"Aelyth," he addresses my sister with such love in his eyes, reflected by a tenderness in his voice he reserves for Mama. "You look like a queen, the green suits you. I want Samanthanna to make more dresses for you with this material." Then he turns to me, "Aria, I prefer your ballgown from last time."

I feel as though a dagger has just pierced a gaping hole in my chest. I have always known who Father's favorite child was. It has never been me, even though we are so alike. I have his hair, Curly and black against the white-capped-mountains outside. I have his eyes, a piercing blue-grey, a combination of the vibrant oceans bordering Miania and the looming skies above Tuath. But somehow, every time he sees me, It always includes tearing me down. I do not want to rule Tuath, I never have. I wish that Mama had stuck with the original law for succession, stating that only one can rule, instead, she had to make me a queen. Oh, what I would give to have a husband to replace me.

I snap back to attention and curtsy saying "Yes, your majesty, I will make sure to have more of them in my wardrobe."

"Good," He replies. "Now, I think it is about time we make our entrance, what do you think, my darling?"

Mama looks up from her needlework to look at the time the grandfather clock in front of her, "Yes,  it is  about time, Aron, please go alert the musicians outside."

He runs out of the room, only stopping to say "Yes, Mama."

The string quartet starts to play the procession music, and Father leads the way out of the drawing room, Mama at his arm. Aelee and I follow, Aron tagging along behind us. As we descend down the steps into the ballroom, I see the line of the Eligible. Only one thought goes through my head.

Tonight, I meet my end.

As we reached the bottom of the steps, Father motions to a footman carrying a tray of Champagne he hands a tall glass to Mama, then takes one for himself. When he raised it, the room went silent. "A toast," he called, "To the annual Presentation of the Eligible. And to my wife," he added, gazing lovingly into Mama's eyes. "For hosting this ball every year, making the Monarchy possible. To the Queen!"

His toast was followed by a chorus of people shouting "TO THE QUEEN!"

As the room fell silent again, he announced that the Presentation Dance shall begin. He called up the sons by the nobility of their fathers. in this order:

Baron
Viscount
Count


Marquess
Prince


Duke


Arch Duke


Grand Duke


King

Then, the girls over 15 fell into place with a partner of relatively equal status. Aria's best friend, Lady Jessamine Leuthere was paired with Baron Gormund. I mouthed an apology to her, and begun to dance with Lord Whitheran, his father, the Arch Duke of Nilssa, was one of the wealthiest and highest ranking nobles. 


Lord Whitheran was trying to make conversation, asking questions about me, trying to get to know me, which is the whole point of this ball. But I kept my answers to 5 syllables tops. I couldn't help it, though. I just kept thinking about poor Jessamine. She is the daughter of a Duke and she got paired with someone as low as a baron. I can't imagine. I made my way back to reality just as the finale to the song came.

I thanked Lord Witheran for the dance, and quickly excused myself. I made my way to a footman and grabbed a drink of champagne. I also selected a macron from the tray set on the table, and found a fainting couch to sit down.

I didn't realize that I was so absent-minded until I am jolted back to the real world by my childhood friend, Prince Octavian of Tuli. "To what do I owe the honor of waking you up from your dream, princess?" I looked up at my life-long friend. Last time I saw him, he was a scrawny little twelve-year-old. Now, wow. His baby fat went away and was replaced with smooth ripples of muscles. His messy blond hair suddenly fitted him, his height didn't look so disproportionate, his blue eyes not so juvenile.

"Prince Octavian, It has been too long," He offers his hand to help me up, and I accept. Not expecting him to be so strong, I throw some weight into getting up, and I pay for it. I crash into the prince's chest. "I am sorry, Tavvy, you must forgive me."

"I would be more than happy to, but first, you must accompany me to a dance." I give him a long look before joining him on the dance floor. He weaves his way through the crowd to the string quartet, I don't know why I am surprised when a Tango fills the room. He joins back up with me and grabs me by the waist, lifting me into the air. He and I slowly become the center of attention, but neither of us notice, he is staring into my eyes and I can feel my cheeks turn as red as my hair. We barely talk through the entire dance, just gazing into one another's eyes. Time seems to flash by and I am hardly thinking about the dance. His eyes piercing through me. I know he chose this dance for a reason, it is known to seduce even those that hate you most.

The dance comes to an end and we end in a dip, both gasping for breath. The room explodes in applause. He is the first to draw his eyes away. "Princess," he gasps, "I would thoroughly enjoy it if you would accompany me back to your chambers to ... catch up." He takes me in, looking me up and down, stopping at my the top of my corset.

"Yes," I reply, adding on "But we must leave at different times, so Mama is not suspicious. I will go first and you meet me in 5 minutes. I will claim a headache."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.