Cold Stones | Teen Ink

Cold Stones

By hannah368je, Chaska, Minnesota
hannah368je, Chaska, Minnesota

Author's note: Reading many books I often find myself gravitating towards fantasy. When I finally got the chance to actually write a short story I jumped on the idea of righting a breath taking novel about a maiden warrior tapped in an unbreakable fate. Righting the story was my favorite part; to be able to witness your characters start out as an idea and grow into a realistic being. It’s very exciting and something every author tries to achieve.

The last time I saw her she was breathtaking. Her whole body seemed to glow a dark shade a bonze; as her willowy frame fit into her tight corset dress that showed off every luxurious curve. It fanned out to her skirt and her generous hips and ended in sparkling red flames. Her dark thin eyebrows arched as they hovered above her piercing yellow eyes. She puckered her dark red lips in disgust. Her hair was black as midnight and flowed half way down her back. It held a majestic crown filled with the most rare hand crafted jewels in all the lands.
She narrowed her eyes on to me as I entered the throne room.

“Ah. Ms. Josie,” her voice sounding like honey yet concealed so much tension. “Kneel down to your queen,” she commanded.

Doing as she said and kneeled before her while she continued to examine me like her prey.

“Is it done?” she questioned in a snide remark. She walked up to me as I was still down, in my kneel of shame.

“Well, you see your majesty I—”

“WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOU SNIVELING IDIOTS GET IT?!” she screamed and threw up her hands in irritation. Her eyes seemed to glow in yellow flames. She bent down and whispered into my ear. “You wear my patience Ms. Josie. Next time it’s off with your head. Consider this a favor.”
“Yes my queen,” I bow my head deeply in respect.
“You are dismissed,” she brushed me off with a wave of her hand as if wanting nothing to with me. She retreated to her thrown so that she may continue to seethe and probably contemplate the many ways that she could kill me.
I bowed once more and quickly retreated from the now suffocating room.
It’s been two years since I had been in her ungodly presence. I quickly left that castle of death and decay. Just being away from the darkness that flows throughout each and every corridor of that god forbidden place has been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.
At one point in time our castle was filled with love and hope. Where King Rukivana used to rule by the side of his lovely wife Amarantha. It was said that their love was like an unwilting flower; immortal. That even in the bonds of death their love was unbreakable.
Although it wasn’t until the Queen fell deathly ill in her final stages of pregnancy that those bonds would be tested. It got to the point where the king himself had gotten so depressed he shut himself out from the world to be locked with in his chambers for days on end. Not even letting a single soul in. It seemed as if the whole kingdom was at a standstill.

Not days later the queen passed away while giving birth to a premature baby the king took his own life. Making the newborn princess a queen.

While the princess grew up, she was taken under the wing of the king Rukivana’s grieving sister who wanted to teach her everything about her majestic duties. Even at the tender age of 6 she was sent out to learn of other kingdoms. However, on her way back from a faraway land her carriage was mysteriously ransacked and she was never to been seen again.

From that day forth the King’s sister had gained the title of Queen Ravenna. And now under her rule the kingdom’s subjects were taxed to the point where they could barely feed themselves, and the crops failed from the drought and many unmarked graves scattered the town from the outbreak of the flu. Our new queen just sat and watched our town as it ran itself into the ground.
Her only interest seemed to be on the guards and knights. Who she is either sleeping with or ordering them around like her puppets. For me, I am her number one line of defense. I was chosen for my cunning and strength, and I was forced on this impossible quest to bring back the most ‘cherished possession’ that had been passed down from generation to generation, the possession that was stolen off the princesses’ carriage that fateful night, that is said to bring much power and good luck to those who wield it.
Although for me, it hadn’t been easy from day one ever since I entered the kingdom. I was chosen from a long list of strong men and heroic warriors to aid the Queen. Many men seem to under estimate me when it comes to solving a problem, and would gladly take my position just to get the queen’s affection. Despite their efforts the queen saw me in a new light, as a woman of her equal stature.
God forbid I wouldn’t slump to her level even if I were in her position and her weakness was her stupidity; mine was a stupid quest.
If only I knew what it was or what it looked like and where it was. That would be helpful…. For all I know it could be on the opposite side of the world. yet she insisted that it’s out there and if I don’t return anytime soon I will forbidden to even enter the kingdom and if I don’t return with it at all be sentenced to death.
But through the years that I have been traveling the lands in search of this majestic trinket for the Queen, I haven’t found any leads, but have managed to run into the same person twice. He was a dashing young man who was lean and strong. His arms where like large trees trunks that seemed to be able to pick up boulders and carry them for miles. His soft dark brown hair cascaded to his ears and was neatly combed in front. His eyes were warm and brown as deep as the sea itself. He wore a sword slung over his shoulder and had worn clothes from a hard day’s work. The few times I had run into him he insisted that I would join him for a meal. Agreeing we would both made camp and ate in silence as we stared into the coals of the fire at our feet. Many times I would catch him staring at me but I would never call him out on it.
After our meal we would causally talk about ourselves or where we came from. When I mentioned my kingdom his eyebrows seemed to gather in concentration. He seemed to hang onto my every last word as his dark eyes glowed while the fire light danced across his face.
“How horrible, and what has the princess done about this?” he asked casually when I was finished telling him about the atrocities of my land.
“What? You hadn’t herd? She died in a robbery when she was traveling.” I told him astonished of his comment but he looked at me in confusion.
“Well then princess, I guess the queen has a lot of explaining to do.” He said looking at me with a devilish look in his eyes.
“Excuse me but what are you—”
“No excuse me. I don’t know how this happened but I think you are mistaken. I recognized you when we met, but I had to make myself sure that you are the very person who I suspected you were,” he paused leaving me in a suspense of wild confusion while he bowed his head and looked up at me with omniscience “I believe somehow you were brainwashed because you are the missing princess.”

~Prologue~
Through my conversations with Beau—a man that I met along my journey— he has made me question everything I knew and held dear. Beau, one day on our journey presumed that I was a lost princess. The news astonished me, leaving me with just one question for Beau. How can this be? I presumed that Beau was joking, but looking into his eyes I knew his statement was genuine. Although he must be wrong, because my family were hard working farmers, who died many years before I had met Beau. How can he actually believe that I’m in the right to rule and take over Ravenna Regnum? If he is, everything that I have learned and knew is a lie. My parents, my friends and who I am is a lie. But could I question what I grew up to believe just because one man states his own? How many lies could I take until I was lost in sea of confusion and oblivion?
~Book 2~
“Wind whips the trees making them dance around like puppets in the forest of Clade, which surrounds the kingdom of Repromissio. As the storm continues, it pelts the earth with rivers of water. In the midst of it all alone carriage braves the weather in hopes of reaching the nearby village of Mentientur. Through the twist and turns of the dense forest the carriage is caught in a landslide, causing the whole vehicle and its passengers into a barrel roll down the slippery hill. In the end no one survived the wreckage except one ―the princess― she lies in the thick wet grass unconscious from the fierce and brutal accident. She trapped under one of the large wheels slowly suffocating as it crushes her.
The very next day when the clouds parted and the rain dispersed a young farmer from Repromissio named Tristan was making his way back from the market in the neighboring village of Mentietur when he stumbled upon the gruesome scene. As fast as he could Tristan scrambled down the slippery slope to see if he can help anyone in need. When finally coming to the realization that everyone is dead except for one young girl slowly dying from being crushed under the debris of the wreckage, he falls to his knees in anguish. Seeing such a young beautiful girl at such a tender age being crushed and traumatized in such an accident, and to see so many lives lost was unbearable. Quickly taking action he assumed that if she could ever survive she wouldn’t be able to make the rough trip back to the village. Instead he would have to bring her home in hopes that his wife attempt to heal the young girl.
Before leaving, Tristan hastily scavenges to see if he can bring back anything home that would worth value. Taking a bag of coins, a fancy dagger and the limp girl he set them on the back of his wagon pulled by his skinny mule. From there he went straight to his cottage that lays on the outskirts of Clade.
When Tristan arrived home, his wife hurried to greet him with kisses and eagerly agreed tend to the child. They rushed her inside and set her in their finest sheets and softest bed for her to lie in while his wife quickly tended to her cuts and bruises. Mixing herbs from the garden and rubbing them all over her wounds she finally with wrapped splints around her crushed limbs that had been pinned under the wheel of the carriage. When the sun rose the next day the girl finally awoke from her dizzy spells, and didn’t have any recollection of who she was or where she came from. Determined to not abandon the beautiful little girl, they took her in and raised her as their own child. They taught her to be a loving and strong working girl. And she was.
As the years came and went, the girl grew older and loved her adopted family as her own. She grew up to be the woman they always knew she would be, strong, confident and very intelligent. On her 18th birthday, her parents gave her the diamond-encrusted dagger found at the crash site so many years earlier, it was the only item of value the family possessed but had to carry it with her when she was allowed to visit the town on market days. She loved her gift and cherished every second of it, but it would lead to her family’s demise.
One day when the girl was rushing home to share the great news of the produce she was able to sell at the market in Mentietur, when she arrived home she found Tristan and his wife in a pile on the floor, covered with blood. The furniture was shredded; everything was destroyed. Frantic she ran into the next room where she found three men rummaging and destroying anything they could get their hands on. They spotted her and as she tried to escape, one grabbed her by the hair and pulled her inside the room to be broken like everything else in their family. As they were about to beat her, she pulled out the dagger and instinct took over. She took down all three men and they were all dead before they even hit the ground. Her moves were fluid and quick. She knelt by her parents and wept. When she was done crying she numbly buried them out in the pasture and set the house on fire. She left the farm, never to return to her childhood home again.
As the news spread about how the girl took down the men, she was considered a hero and a goddess. It didn’t take long until this reached Queen Ravenna’s ears, and without hesitation, they sought her out and recruited her as a soldier. From the battles and titles she had won, she worked her way up to maiden warrior and the queen’s number one line of defense. She became the queen’s most trusted commanders in the army. It was said that to face the girl in battle was to be sentenced to death by the devil himself because of her soul had become numb and she was a skilled warrior who would do everything and anything to be victorious.”
“Very nice story but how am I supposed to believe all this? Sure, you know my story but how am I supposed to believe the beginning. That I’m the rightful Queen? I thought that I could trust you.” I scoffed just about to leave the pathetic man, abandon the warm fire where we made camp and go off into the cold darkness of the forest of Somniis.
“You can!” Beau stammered quickly “I know all of this is hard to take in but you can trust me. Not too long ago I was once your friend. Back when your true father, when king Rukivana was alive, our fathers were companions. My father worked for yours as the kingdoms oracle and healer. When they were working, we used to play in the castle.” He stood up quickly and wiped his palms on his hands. “Here ill prove it.” He said reaching for my arm and grabbing on to it before I could let go he looked into my eyes with a tender reverence. “I remember giving you this scar on your arm when we were playing,” He continued. “I got so mad at myself that I told you to punch me but instead you kissed me. You were so sweet to me back then,” He chuckled softly and let my arm go slowly.
“Ok if your story is true then why don’t I remember you, or an? Why haven’t I met you until now? Surely you would have been drafted to be in the queen’s army for your physique.” I questioned trying to find a hole in his story all the while enjoying looking him up and down to notice all his muscles tense.
“My family tried to escape when Ravenna took the thrown. But they caught us when we almost reached Mentientur. They imprisoned my family but I was able to escape when my mother found a crawl space small enough to hide me in the forest. When we said our goodbyes, my father was able to transfer all his powers into me so that I could survive,” He choked on a sob. “He gave me everything. He sacrificed himself so that I could have a better life. He gave me every ounce of power he had left.”
The silence between us cut through the night like a sharp hot knife through butter.
“How did you find me?” I finally asked my last question softly. I was too broken from his.
“You came to me in a dream. I learned of your story and there was no way for me to approach you without gaining your trust. Surely you would understand there is no other move more wise then creating friendship.” He quickly stammered “I apologize that I’m so blunt but we are running out of time. I need your help. Please my father’s head is at stake here. Maybe there is some way that I can help you in return.”
Standing I made my way to the edge of the forest. “I don’t need your help and there is no way that I could every aid you and go against my Queen. As stupid as she is I will not defy her.
“Josie, the queen killed your birth parents and set up your death… she has been against you from day one. I saw it in my dream. Everything, I see your past present and future and it is said that you will be queen and take over the thrown.”
“And what if I don’t want to be queen?” I cried.
“Then all of Regnare is doomed to be ruled by Ravenne, and the possibility of being taken over by the savages in Hostem.” He said shrugging easily while throwing me this curve ball.
Ravenna Regnare and Hostem have been fighting for years because each kingdom is in desperate need to become allies with Repromissio due to its rich soil and the drought that had covered the south like a plague. So many men lost in battle. I can never make friends anymore because they all fall into the hands of Hostem knights. I lost my father Tristan and my mother to the hands of Hostem soldiers making their way to Repromissio. I have so much hatred for them my blood boils at the mention of their name.
“I will do it for my kingdom and for your father, but let’s say we make it to the border of Regnare. Everyone knows me, surely I will be arrested for not bringing back the relic the queen has sent me out to fetch in the first place.” I proposed to him coming back to sit by the fire and looked into its flames.
“Josie you have had it on you the whole time, unsheathe your dagger.” Beau said coyly
“No, that’s my father’s dagger. He was a simple farmer.” Then it dawned on me. “Wait, it came from the carriage wreckage, didn’t it? The same one my father Tristan picked up.” I asked pulling it out of my boot “so all this time I was guided by a magic dagger. The whole time it was with me. All these years that I have been searching Reginam from top to bottom it has been with me?”
“One thing people do not know about this special dagger is that it only works when people believe. If you believe in yourself, then you can be gifted with anything your heart desires.” He said taking it from my hands to examine it closer
“I wish I didn’t have to do this.” I muttered.
“Yeah, you and me both,” he said and handed it back to me. The firelight was glittering in his eyes and highlighted his high cheekbones.
“What now?” I asked him totally numb but hoping that I could eventually be able to trust this man to lead me in the right direction.

“Right now you sleep. Tomorrow we are off the Ravenna Regnare. And then we will assassinate the most hated woman in all of Regiam.” He slowly whispered and said something under his breath. “Goodnight my queen.” He lifted his hands to my face to gently cover my eyes. I was subdued but I didn’t care because I was lulled into a deep dark comforting sleep in the arms of a man that had as much to lose as I had to gain.

Riding hard my horse plows into the ground with heavy hooves. He pushes us further, sending us deeper into the forest of Somniis, just outside the kingdom ruled by the notoriously evil and dangerously beautiful Queen Ravenna. Many men who enter her realm are often seduced by her looks and defeated by her wit. They are lured into her thrown room only to be killed or tortured. Very few make it out alive and the ones who do survive bare the scars that tell their tale.
Cloaked by darkness I move silently in the shadows. I’ve been trained all my life to kill and fight in battle, but never have I imagined that I would be taking down my own Queen. She may have taught me all I know, but she is evil to the bone. If I was ever caught I would be sentenced to death and Beau would lose any chance of saving his family, who is trapped in the bowels of the Queen’s dungeon. There is no room for mistakes or errors. If my dagger works, then with the help of its magical powers I will be victorious by sunrise the next morning. If not, then we are all doomed to drown in the miserable fate of the Queen, who is running the kingdom into the ground and would surely be taken over by the neighboring country of Hostem, the savages.
Kicking into the horse’s sides, I pushed it to go faster, making the trees pass by in a blur as they melted into the background. Thinking back to my past lives and looking at both sets of my fathers’ and mothers’ tragic endings; I had to do this for Beau. I could only imagine the torment he was living through just knowing that his family was still suffering.

When I made it to the edge of the forest I hid in the shadow of a bush just outside of the kingdoms’ walls. Creeping forward on my horse I waited for the signal that the guards were making their rounds. Before it was time I grabbed my grappling hook and secured my dagger in my boot. I abandoned my horse as soon as I saw a glimpse of the armor in the moonlight. Counting down from twenty to make sure I was clear I then ran up to the side of wall where I threw my grappling hook into the midnight sky hopeful that it would securely latch itself. As soon as I was mounted, I hastily made it all the way to the top, feeling confident that I wasn’t seen. I landed swiftly on the ledge and jumped over the other side of the wall. The air was whipping past me while I was in free fall and the ground was getting closer. At the last second I turned around in midair to throw my hook a second time. It gave a painful yank and caught the wall when I was ten feet from the ground. Jerking and swinging violently I let go of the rope and landed on my feet.
I was finally in, but I wasn’t clear from the guards that were patrolling the streets. I would have to make it to a tunnel that traversed under the city and to the castle in order to go unnoticed.
Hugging close to each wall I make my way down the street. Making sure to pause every block or so to check for any guards. The city of Morbus is a highly populated area with narrow streets and barely any alleys. The streets are usually filled with litter or swage, and as I pass by my eyes tear up from the putrid smell. I cover my nose and take one last breath before I continue on to find the secret opening to the tunnel.
Silently I turn the corner on the next street going westward. I slowly inch my way in the dark past row after row of mud caked houses slowly passing each one. Careful to hide each time I hear a guard making their rounds, I start to reach the edge of the city where the buildings start to separate and the roads begin to grow longer and wider. Unfortunately it’s easier to be spotted, but more so to be caught.
“Hey you!” My eyes widen in surprise as I see a man shouting at me from down the road. “Identification and state your business.” He recites as he starts to jog over to me. Before he gets close enough to make out my face I quickly drop step and run down the next turn and quickly make it into an alley before I can hear him yell after me, “Stop!”
Heart pounding I stop briefly to pull out my dagger from my boot, praying that Beau was right about it being magical. Continuing down the rough path I end up on the main street, it’s full of small shops, bars and vendors. In the dark it looks like a ghost town with everything boarded up for the night.
“Hey you, stop!” I hear the guard running after me. Breathless, I can tell that he won’t be able to keep the pursuit up much longer. Before he can call for back up, I spot a house in the distance, it has a ladder leaning up against it. Pumping my legs as fast as they could go I use my momentum to run up the sides of the ladder.
When I make it to the roof I rapidly decide to pull up the ladder just in time to watch the guard run by the house and down the next block.
Heaving a deep sigh of relief I look up at the sky. Taking in the vast amount of stars, I use them as a map to find my location and unbelievably I’m only half a mile away from the entrance of the underground tunnels. Maybe the magic in the dagger really does exist.
As I hop from house to house I thankfully don’t run into any more guards. Finally making it to the location I can just barely make out an old painted sign to a saddle shop across the road. Looking down from the building that I’m perched upon, I ease my way to the edge and fling myself off. Gracefully landing on a balcony below, I use the railing as a springboard to catapult myself into the air. Using my momentum, I do a midair summersault and finally reach the ground.
Once I make it to the tunnels, it should be a breeze to get to the castle. Only the army and the royal family knows of the location to the entrance of the underground tunnels. To further complicate matters there are always two guards posted at the tunnel’s entrance to the palace.
Crossing the street I make it to the saddle shop remembering that the spare key is on top the ledge of the door. Reaching on my tiptoes my hands catch the cold metal key ring. Bringing it down, I take the plain black key and rapidly unlock the door. As soon as I step into the small shop, the smell of leather greets me. I make my way through the small shop, which consists of tools and bolts of leather. When I make it to the back room, a beautiful hand woven rug conceals a secret vault. Once opening it, all I can make out is a deep dark abyss. Before dropping in the hole I snag two swords in a leather sheath, and attach them to my waist. Armed and ready, I drop down into the abyss; ready for battle.
The cavern is supposed to be the sewage system, but they went unfinished so the sewers were never used. Walking down the tunnels I make it to the entrance that leads to the castle where Beau promised he would meet me. After what seems like hours, my hands started to sweat I begin to pace the long corridor beginning to think the worst.
“Looks like you had a busy night,” he says a deep husky voice behind me.
Turning around I drink up his easy smile and relaxed stance. His shirt hangs easily on his broad chest. His arms are crossed which make his biceps look huge as they stretch out the fabric. I’m surprised he looks so casual for a man who just snuck around a dangerous city at night.
“Do you know how worried I was? I was beginning to think the worst. I was going to go out looking for you.” I scolded him. “You’re late. You said you would be here when the moon is at its highest point.”
“Don’t worry, Jo. I got it all under control,” he sighs uncrossing his arms, “Go on now, lead away, you’re wasting precious time. Let’s see if you can handle yourself as well as the legends say you can.”
Barking out a laugh, I see him smirk from the corner of my eye and we begin down the dark underground tunnel.
“I might handle you if you keep it up,” I call back to him. “There is no time for joking, Beau, this is life or death. We need to be ready at all times,” I quickly stop and spin around as his chest connects with my pointed finger. “And that means being on time.”
“Sorry.” He whispers silently behind me as I easily navigate the pitch-dark tunnels like I did so hundreds of times before.
We quietly move through the tunnel. I can barely hear Beau following close at my heels. We’re so quiet, I can even hear drops of water hitting the stone floor. Thinking on my toes I take pleasure in the fact that the walls amplify any sound and if there were any chance to be ambushed we would hear them coming from a mile away.
Moving like this in silence for what seems like a couple of hours, we finally take a break when we make it to our first intersection. Sliding down the mossy wall I sit beside Beau. We still haven’t said a word since we entered the tunnels, but I can practically feel the tension building between us.
“Sorry Beau for being so uptight.” I finally apologize. “I wish that I could somehow fix everything that I said, but there’s so much riding on this mission.”
He sighs deeply, and I can just barely make out his silhouette as he lay his head on the wall and look up at the inky darkness.
“Its ok, I guess. I never would have thought the carefree and giggly little girl would grow up to be such a strong and confident woman.” He said then turned towards me “I guess time changes all things.” His words ease the tension.
“Thank you.” I say and touch his leg for a brief second of comfort. Slowly his hand meets mine to cover it with his own. Men have often been attracted to me and tried to stake their claim, but I’ve never actually been touched by any of them. Not even something as simple as holding hands.
Awkwardly, I clear my throat and try to change the subject.
“Since I don’t remember very well, why don’t you remind me what it was like when we were kids,” I ask him glad he can’t see me blush in the darkened room.
“Well.” He says and works out a quick laugh “I guess from what I remember, you were really good at keeping secrets. After dinner, you would always sneak me down some pastries. Oh, and there was this one day when we were playing in the garden and you literally cut down every rose in the entire garden and gave one to every maid, cook and knight in the castle.” He chuckles “The gardener was so mad at you. But he loved you so much that the very next year he grew an even bigger rose garden so that you could give a rose to everyone in the kingdom. Your mother would have been so proud of you”
Beginning to tear up I finally choke out, “Do you remember what she was like?”

“No, sadly but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t know.” He said turning to me even more and lifted my hand to his face. I was instantly transported to what seemed like another world.

Two big brown eyes embrace me as I sink into their depths where there is nothing but black and empty space. As if I’m reaching the end of a tunnel I’m rushed into a blinding light where everything become so vividly enhanced that my eyes start to water. I’m transported into a garden filled with plump sweet peas, hydrangeas, and lush carnations that line up along the stone path to a crystal clear pond filled with iridescent rainbow fish.
Perched atop of the hill is a breathtaking waterfall that trickles into a stream down to the pond and ends with a granite slab of rock. Gracefully sitting on the rock is a woman who seems to be wearing a dress made of flowers. The underlays drape like petals around her body. They sway in the wind like willow branches and are wrapped up on her waist by a single statin bow. Her hair is a warm golden brown pulled up to show off her magnificent cheek bones that lay just under her sapphire blue eyes that shine like the sun.
Confused and out of place I try to speak but no words come out; it appears as if she is looking right at me. She smiles at me with her rose red lips filled with perfect pearl teeth and whispers to me
“My baby,” tears form in her eyes as they show so much pain “Come to me. Let me look at you.”
Her words sound like melting chocolate, so sweet and soft and as if in a trance my legs numbly walk under me as I gravitate to the lovely woman standing before me. As she reaches out a delicate hand to me, I take it and notice that it’s warm and soft. Just like I imagined it would be.
“You are so beautiful,” she says to me. “So strong like your father. I could have never imagined this happening to you darling, but I prepared for the worst. I’m so sorry I wasn’t with you to stop Ravenna’s plans, but I was always with you. Whether you know it or not, I have put my heart and soul into the dagger that you now wield. All the power and hope is my love for you. This dagger was made for you and will help you succeed. When you finally kill my sister and become queen, the powers in the dagger will become yours. You can be just as powerful and loving as I once was; the queen that you are destined to be.”
Taking her words into consideration I realized that the dagger didn’t just help me win all my battles as a lieutenant and kill the burglars back when I was a young; it was my mother’s love etched into the very blade. I carried it with me all my life, and through my hardships, sadness and shame, she led me into the light, she never left me after all; even in death.
There is no doubt in my mind that I would follow her words and use them as a life lesson.
“My dear child I must leave you now, but I won’t be far. Look deep into your heart and you will find my everlasting love. God bless you, my beautiful child.” she says looking deep into my eyes and plants a kiss atop my head. Before I can reach out to her a second time everything fades away.

Falling back into the dark hole and landing in the tunnels is like night and day. Everything is so clear in my mind, and I find a happiness wash over me. I have to force my eyes to make out two dark brown eyes that belong Beau.
So shocked I begin to cry. Something that I’ve haven’t done since my father Tristan and my mother died.
Awkwardly Beau gathers me into his arms and lifts me so that I can stand.
“We need to get going.” He whispers in my ear.
Remembering that I had a job to fulfill I wiped my tears. Ashamed that I opened up so much to Beau that I had become so vulnerable. Picking myself up I turned away from him and continued down the tunnels.
Taking a left at the intersection I move with stealth down the corridor, we are about to make it to the secret passageway into the castle. Feeling the walls with my hands I move down the corridor until my hands finally catch on a huge rock jutting out of the wall.
“Wait right here.” I say to Beau as I unsheathe my sword and plunge it into the soft rock. Slowly the rock moves backward and along with it several others in the shape of a door. Opening up to stairway essentially leading us right to the queen’s chambers.
Yanking out the sword I hand it over to Beau and whisper to him. “Whatever you do, don’t look into her eyes for too long. I’ve learned that she can seduce any man into believing against their free will. That everything they once held dear to them can he washed away and forgotten just to satisfy her needs.” I say turning to him and looking deep into his eyes. “You must remember why we are here. To kill her, get your family and get out.”
“Ok sounds good to me.” He whispers back.
Starting up the stairs, I make it half way when Beau calls after me.
“Shhhh! What is it?” I whisper back to him annoyed.
“I just wanted to thank you for everything you have done. I could have never done this without you.” He says awkwardly and climbs up another step. Leaning down he picks up my hand and kisses it. His lips are soft and warm. “I know you will be a great queen.”
His words touch me but I must be aware that if I got too close to Beau now, and if he were to die, I will never be able to forgive myself.
Taking the stairs two at a time we reach the door just outside her chambers. Silently moving I put my fingers to my lips giving Beau the signal to be quiet and open the door.
Silently the door opens up to a dimly lit chamber. So wide and vast, it’s filled with lush furniture and statues of the queen posing on benches and framed by great plumes of water. Some are so realistic I almost take one of them down.
In the middle of the chamber is a bed draped with an embroidered canopy. It’s designs are dark and hypnotic just like the queen’s soul. Making it over to the bed, I signal Beau to take one side as I take the other.
When I make it over I carefully pull back the drape to reveal a slender half naked body with long, dark, black curls. Ravenna is awake and sitting up in bed looking directly into Beau’s eyes.
“No!” I whisper quickly unsheathing my other sword, but find it too late when I look up to see Beau’s sword in the hands of Ravenna and pointed directly at his heart.
“Well, well, well. Look what we have here! One obedient slave and one trouble making fool.” She smirks and turns towards me, showing off her yellow blazing eyes. “My dear, Josie. I would have never thought that you would have figured it out so quickly. I knew you were the princess the whole time. But how could I give up my thrown to a young and naïve little girl? You’re just like your father after I killed his wife.”
Gasping I step back too shocked to take everything in at once.
“Oh that’s right. You didn’t know?” she gloats as her beautiful smile turns into a wicked sneer. “Now what a shame it is to waste such a talented warrior! Too bad you made it all this way just to die!” turning towards Beau she hands him the sword and coos to him. “Come here my pet.” Obeying, Beau comes to her.
Horrified and not knowing what to do, I back up even more deciding to give myself more room. I can’t take down the queen without killing Beau if he is so close. I would have to coax him from her if I could ever get my chance at striking the Queen. My hands start to shake as I prepare myself for battle. Afraid that I am only seconds away from fighting Beau. Although I have taken on men twice his size, I’m finding it impossible to find a week spot without hurting him.
Ravenna roughly grabs Beau delicate chin and turns it towards my quivering frame. “Kill.” She whispers in his ear.
As soon he gets his command, Beau launches toward me. Taking ready position I hold my sword ready to defend his attack. Blow after blow his sword comes down on me with immense power, but I stand my ground. Each time he gets too close I nimbly move around the room to dodge each blow, but he is like a machine; his endurance doesn’t weaken.
“Ooh Josie, where did you find him? Once he is done with you, I might just keep him.” Ravenna calls over to me playfully, obviously enjoying the fight.
Rage overwhelms me and my stomach is in knots. Now it’s my turn to play offense. Standing strong I start with a hard blow to the side then I begin to dance around him, quickly slashing and kicking him. Fighting dirty is my favorite battle tactic. When I finally deke him out I kick his legs out from under him and he falls to the ground like a cut down tree.
Quickly turning around I gain some room between Beau quivering on the floor and turn to Ravenna, who is now staring at me with big round eyes and her lips are tightly puckered in disgust. Sitting up straight she is holding a dagger of her own, ready to fight me herself.
“You evil, power-hungry b****!” Words shoot out of my mouth with venom. My rage overwhelming me I get tunnel vision and can only see my prey. “I have a message for you from the grave.” I shout as I pull my mother’s dagger from my boot and fling it at her cold hard chest. “Long live Queen Josie.” I whisper to myself as Ravenna falls to the ground dead.

…. Five years later….

The spell over the kingdom was been broken. The people rejoiced as plague ended on their crops and the neighboring kingdoms were peacefully reunited. As for the walls, they came down around the kingdom and many people were allowed to come and go as they pleased.
The balance was restored just like it had been back when King Rukivana and Queen Amarantha ruled.
As for Josie, she was declared rightful queen of what is now Amarantha Regnare and fell in love with the dashing handsome Beau, who was recruited as top knight for his bravery. After years of being held prisoner in the dungeon, Beau’s family was released.
The love Beau and Josie have for one another goes off into oblivion, so much so that even death cannot break the bond they both share.

Josie- Maiden warrior and lieutenant of Ravenna Regnare. Birth daughter of King Rukivana and Queen Amarantha and adopted by Tristan and his wife.

Beau- Oracle and childhood friend of Josie. He aids her on the journey of killing the Queen.

Ravenna- Evil queen of Ravenna Regnare. She is so beautiful and powerful she can seduce men to do her bidding by simply staring into her eyes. She kills Amarantha and Rukivana and attempts to kill Josie but doesn’t succeed.

Amerantha- Mother of Josie and Queen of Regnare before Ravenna takes power. She is poisoned by Ravenna and gives birth to Josie prematurely.

Rukivana- Father of Josie and King of Renare before Ravenna takes power. Too over powered with grief since his wife dies he commits suicide.

Beau’s family- Are trapped in the dungeon from trying to escape when Ravenna took power.

Tristan and Wife- Farmers that take Josie in as their own child but die when their house is being raided by Hostem knights.