Dawn of The Witches (Book 2 of the Sixteen Series) | Teen Ink

Dawn of The Witches (Book 2 of the Sixteen Series)

By AmeriTheBrave BRONZE, Lafayette, Indiana
AmeriTheBrave BRONZE, Lafayette, Indiana

They didn't agree on much. In fact, they didn't agree on anything. They fought all the time and challenged each other everyday. But despite their differences, they had one important thing in common. They were crazy about each other. ~ Nicholas Sparks

Author's note: The inspiration of this novel came from a dream of mine. I remember waking up to a start and scurrying around my dark room until I found a pencil and a notebook and jotted down the idea while it was still fresh in my mind. Now, if you were to ask me about the dream, I wouldn't be able to tell you a thing about it. Most of the main characters in this novel are based off friends and people I know.

Lena lurched forward, her blankets flying off her chest to settle at her waist. Realizing her nightmare had been only a dream, she sighed and grabbed the edge of her quilt with shaky hands, pulling it off her legs. Her feet pressed into the pale grey carpet as she stood on weak legs and stretched her arms above her head.

She walked stiffly out the door of her bedroom and across the hall to the small upstairs bathroom that she shared with her olDer brother, Dustin. Turning the water on, she set bother hands on either siDe of the sink and leaned on it for support as the color slowly started to rejoin her face.

The moonlight that trickled in through the blinds on the window hit her pure blue eyes as they drifted to the thunDering spout of clear, shining water that issued from the sink head. Her eyes were glued to the water and slowly she began to see each separate strong of water that poured through the individual holes in the faucet as they unwrapped themselves from each other.

Her blue irises twitched and the bottom of each strand lifted from the surface of the sink bottom and began to curl upward, sparkling in the faint glow of the moon like strings of stars in the endless night sky.

With another twitch of her blue pools, the strands became longer and longer. The water was frozen, controlled by Lena's thoughts and feelings as it slowly pulled itself even more out of its separate holes. It floated through the thin night air and danced around Lena's head. She closed her eyes, keeping her thoughts on the twirling strands of water. A smile bubbled to her lips as the water whispered to her, as it maDe her feel safe in its presence.

She was filled with serenity, peace, and hope. She couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but she could feel it.

As she leaned on the soothing murmurs of the water and reached for the hope in midst her Despair, she was invisibly choked by the cold, dark feeling of something scary, evil, twisted.

Her eyes shot open, her pupils as small as pinpoints even in the dim light. Her focus was lost and the water fell to the tile floor with a quiet splash. That cold, fearful feeling coiled itself around her lungs, quickening her breath and speeding up her heart rate.

Her hands went to her chest and then her throat. Once more her face was as white as a sheet. She could feel her throat closing and her eyes frantically flashed up to the mirror.

SudDenly, she was released and she gasped for air, her eyes still on the mirror. In the reflection she saw a shadow move across the the dark hallway behind her. the feeling of fear was replaced with curiosity as she turned and crept to the bathroom doorway peering into the quiet darkness in search of the shadow she'd seen. But it did not appear again, so, slowly, she crept down the hall towards Dustin's room.

His door was open; he never left his door open. Lena walked into the room to find nothing but her brother sprawled across his bed, shirtless, tangled in a mass of blankets and pillows with his head leaning off the siDe of the bed, mouth open, snoring.

*

*

*

*

*

"Weren't you scared?" Mia questioned, shutting her locker and turning to face Lena with a flip of her curly brown hair.

Lena shrugged and looked down the hallway to where Adrina was shutting her locker. "No, not really... I mean, a year ago, I found out that me and fifteen others are... Special. At the end of last year, I witnessed my parents die and that was the most frightened I've ever been... Thinking I saw a shadow move was nothing compared to that." she said as Adrina's heels clicked to a stop besiDe them.

"A shadow?" Adrina puzzled, looking between the two.

Lena started to tell her it was nothing probably just a hallucination, but Mia beat her to it, "Lena saw a shadow last night... A moving shadow."

"It was nothing!" Lena huffed.

"Nothing we see or hear is nothing anymore." Adrina said, a meaningful look in her eye.

Lena opened her mouth to argue, but a pair of arms snaked around her waist and a small, light kiss was planted on her cheek. All thoughts of argument escaped her mind as she turned to face her rock. "Kol." she murmured, a smile of pure joy on her lips.

Kol grinned down at his beautiful girlfriend as Adrina and Mia shared a knowing look before Adrina said, "And since nothing that we see or hear is nothing, I'm calling a meeting at the old boat house at five. Kol, you'll be there, right?" Kol nodDed. Adrina looked to Mia and Lena, "You too?" Lena nodDed, not really caring while Mia huffed and rolled her eyes, pissed that she'd have to cancel her hair appointment.

"Great! Now I just have to tell everyone else." Adrina chirped, turning and starting to walk away.

"Who died and maDe you queen, Addy?" Mia called after her, her queen-bee, rich-girl attituDe shining through.

Addy called over he shoulDer, "We need a leaDer and no one else is stepping up." Then she turned the corner, disappearing on her quest to tell the others of the meeting.

Mia groaned and looked at Lena, "I am so sick of her preppy little ass talking like she owns the coven! If anything, I should lead the coven, not her!" Kol chuckled, knowing that all Mia really wanted was to be in charge as Lena rolled her eyes light-heartedly at Mia's words.

"Honestly, Mia, if anyone should be the so-called 'leaDer' of the coven, it should be Addy. She's responsible, respectable,-" Lena was interrupted by Mia.

"Bitchy, bossy, a prick..." Kol snorted to hiDe his laughter.

Lena's eyes narrowed, "Get a hold of yourself, Mia. Enough with the PMSing." Then, with Kol's hand clutched in hers, she brushed past Mia to go find the others and help Addy spread the word of the meeting.

*

*

*

*

*

Addy entered the courtyard knowing that many people liked to eat lunch out there. She glanced around, searching for coven members. She sighed, not seeing anyone, and got ready to go back into the school and continue looking in there, when a head of fiery red hair caught her eye.

She smiled to herself when she realized it was Josh. She started walking over to him, but stopped once she noticed Rian sitting besiDe him. Her eyes shut tight, as did her mouth, as she turned away from them. "S***!" she mumbled to herself. Then she slowly opened her eyes, straightened her back, took a Deep breath, and maDe her way over to them.

She sat on the other siDe of Josh, trying not to make eye contact with Rian. "Hey, Josh." she said, smiling at her best guy friend.

Josh smiled back at her, "What's up?"

Addy adjusted her body so she was close enough to whisper to him, "Lena saw something last night. She says it was nothing, but I'm not so sure it was. Logan was doing some research and she found something that sounds an awful lot like what Lena saw. So, boat house, five. Be there?"

"Of course." Josh answered.

"So, boat house at five?" someone asked and Addy swallowed her nerves. She peered around Josh to meet the brown eyes of Rian.

"Mm, yea..." she said, her voice quiet. Rian gave her a small smile and Addy returned it before standing up and heading insiDe.

Before they knew about the magic, the coven, and the magical ties, Rian and Addy's relationship was bumpy and complicated. Before they were tied to each other, they tried to stay clear of each other. Now, with the coven and the unknown impending evil, they don't really have a choice. It would be difficult, but being two of the most role-moDel worthy friends in the town, they'd make it work. For the coven.

*

*

*

*

*

It was three minutes past five, and the boat house was full with the sixteen teenagers. On one siDe of the empty building was a row of seven green lawn chairs that sat facing in towards the center of the room. A chair for each of the seven "council" members. The council consists of the seven most noble families, something Logan had read in an old text from the days of the original one hundred. It had said that the seven most noble members of the coven (Madiuma Baxter, Rustaford Dawson, Hampton Walsh, Guinevere West, Jenfirell Mikalson, Laxton Conard, and Kenyatta Foster) were to take charge and act as a council, or law-making court. They were to unify the coven unDer rules and regulations that were only for the better and the safety of the coven. If one member was to use their blood-given council spot for evil doing or injustice, it would be in the hands of the other six to finish them, by Death or loss of magical ties. The same went for any coven member that stepped out of line.

In the text there had been a drawing of the council chairs. Three smaller wooDen chairs on the left, three more on the right, and then a large wooDen chair in the center. The text went on to say that the purest, noblest, most respected blood line was given the job and the power of the Chef (meaning leaDer in French), or in this case, Chef De Fille (meaning girl leaDer in French). In the days of the original one hundred, the Chef De Fille had been Madiuma Baxter. Meaning that, by blood right, Adrina was the true Chef De Fille of the new age coven. And not many in the coven objected this. They knew Addy. They knew that she was a natural born leaDer and wouldn't lead the coven straight to the ground in a serious situation. They knew she could stand up to pain and fear and adversity just to fulfill her responsibility of being the head of this group. But, there were some who were very much against Adrina's half-rule. They'd rather have the power for themselves. They were power hungry. But, they didn't unDerstand that Adrina didn't control everything. The power she had was given to her by nature.

Nature was the power hull of magic. The witches magical energy didn't just spontaneously show up in their blood. It was granted to them by nature. Nature granted the witches with the power of the four elements: water, fire, air, and earth. Witches could use these elements as they were available around them. But, each witch has a strong element. One element that they are better at channeling, one element that speaks to them. These elements are called a witches élément fort, meaning strong element.

The elements can be used and felt by a witch, but aren't "alive" and can't be conjured out of thin air by a witch until a witch finds their inner magic. And then, only their élément fort is "alive" to them and can be conjured.

For a witch to find their inner magic the witch must either go through the most extreme emotional pain or through the end of life, Death. Inner magic is tapping into the élément fort that is insiDe the witches internal magical energy. Inner magic is there the whole time, it just can't be controlled, reached, or used by the witch until they find it. And they will know. They will have a feeling that is somehow representing of their élément fort.

And, lastly, a witches internal energy source can be recharged or refilled when a witch uses it. It just needs rest to do so. Not so much after a short little spell, but after a battle or a duel.

The chatter from the coven began to quiet into whispers here and there as the seven council members took their seat in alphabetical orDer by first name. First Josh, then Kol, then Lena, skip a chair, then Logan, Mia, and Rian. The last person to be seated was Adrina, who sat in the chair that was left open in the center. The seven teenagers who sat in the green lawn chairs looked between each other, communicating with their eyes on who would begin the meeting. But, there was no argument because Adrina turned her attention from the eyes of the other six to the eyes of the remaining coven members. She held her head high and her green eyes were sharp and intelligent as she cleared her throat and began, "Welcome to the first meeting of the year-"

From somewhere in the room someone mumbled, "I wasn't aware we were being so formal..."

But, Adrina ignored it. "Our junior year. After all that was found out and all that happened last year, I think we all unDerstand, at least most of us unDerstand," she shot a look at Felicity who was smirking Decietfully in a corner of the boat house, "that there is no escaping what we are and who we were born to be. And I think we all agree, that we should learn the most we can about our ancestors and our magic." She looked around the room, to see everyone nod their heads in agreement.

"Good." she said, "Then, we have a few other things we need to take care of. The remnants of Lena's house from the... Uh, consequences nature had for a certain member of the club that used the elements for unjust things." And, again, her eyes wanDered to Felicity, but this time she wasn't smirking. Everyone's faces were sullen and many of them shot apologetic and sympathetic looks at Lena, who'd lost her house and her parents because of the stupidity and selfishness of that one coven member. But, Adrina had no plans of irritating old wounds and she went on, "Well, the remnants need to be shifted through for anything that could have been in the house that could be useful for us. Most likely everything was burnt, but just to be sure. Then, we need to find a new meeting place." A few groans escaped some of the others and Adrina sighed, "I know, I know. It's not going to be easy. There aren't many places in town that are safe for a bunch of teenage witches to meet secretly, but there's nothing I can do about it. My mom's tired of this old hunk of wood sitting on her stretch of beach and my dad agrees. We have three days before this place gets knocked down and pulverized, so be looking."

There was a few moments of silence as Addy bit her lip and looked at the pointed ceiling, thinking of what else neeDed to be brought to discussion and then she remembered, "Oh, and I believe Lena has something she should share with the coven."

Everyone turned to look expectantly at Lena and Lena was staring at Adrina with wiDe eyes. "Why would you bring it up? It's nothing." Lena hissed at Addy through clenched teeth. But, she sighed when she saw the look of Determination and hard cooliness in Adrina's eyes. Addy had maDe up her mind and there was no changing it.

"Fine." Lena grumbled and she straightened up, meeting the eyes of every member even the lazy, unconcerned eyes of Felicity. She waited a minute, thinking of how to explain it before starting her story, "First off, I'd just like to say, I told Adrina earlier today that what I thought I saw and what I thought I felt was probably nothing-"

Adrina cut her off with a quick flick of her tongue, "It's not nothing."

"Whatever," Lena said, waving her off, "I'll tell you all anyway. Last night I woke from the nightmare I always have. The one where I relive watching my house burn down with my parents insiDe of it. Yea, that one. I was shaken up and I was jumpy and sweating really bad, so I walked to the bathroom and some how I enDed up messing with the water." Everyone knew when she said "messing with the water", she didn't mean splashing around like a little kid in a pool for the first time. She meant magic. Lena went on, "It maDe me feel cool and safe. It felt like I could lean on it for support even though if I were to actually do so, I'd fall right on my butt. I could finally see the end off all the pain when I focused on the water, after a whole summer of raw heartache, I could see the end. And I was happy." Her voice was distant now, her eyes focused on a spot on the wooDen wall as she remembered last nights events. "Everything was okay," she said, "until I got this sudDen feeling of dread. Like a piece of heavy lead falling to the bottom of my stomach. I felt I was being watched and I felt like I was in danger of something evil." There was fear in Lena's voice and it seemed like for the first time she was really unDerstanding what had happened. And that it really had happened. "It got stronger and I felt like someone was choking me, I couldn't breath. But, as soon as it happened it was gone. And when I looked into the mirror, I saw something move in the hall behind me. Like a dark figure, a shadow. I thought it had gone to Dustin's room and when I found his door open, I became really worried because his door is almost never open if he's in it. Especially since mom and dad. But, he was fine, fast asleep." her voice was quiet when she finished and then she snapped back to reality, looking around at the expressions on her friend's faces.

The first person to speak up was Scarlett who had remained silent and strangely impassive through the whole meeting. "Another witch?" she asked, looking from one coucil member to another all the way down the line.

Logan, having read something similar to what Lena had Described shook her head, "I don't think it was another witch." Everyone's attention turned from Scarlett's innocent blue eyes the color of the sky on a clear spring day set in her open and peaceful face framed by ringlets of tawny colored hair to Logan's wise forest green eyes the color of evergreen nettles set in her short pixie-like face that was framed by short, dark brown hair that curved slightly at the ends to cup her face. "I was reading a book." Logan said and this surprised no one, she was always reading, "And I came across something that sounds a lot like what Lena witnessed. It's called The Cold, and while it is not a witch, it has it's own dark energy. Which would explain how the member of The Cold that visited Lena maDe her feel the way she did. The Description of The Cold I read said that The Cold is an ancient group of beings, not human, but not animals or creatures either. They have their own dark energy that allows them to make people feel certain ways, to harm people, and to take on different forms. The Cold's natural form is like a shadow at the first glance, but it's really a mass of dark smoke or mist in the shape of a man. One story of the cold was an account of a young man who said a member visited him one night when he stayed up working. He Decribed feeling a sudDen rush of fear and feeling panicked like he had to get out or something bad was going to happen. He saw the shadow Lena Described right before his maid walked in. And then the feeling was gone and so was the shadow. It sounds like he was pretty lucky to have someone around from what I read in another legend about The Cold. It said that it usually preys on humans who are alone and it draws out certain emotions it senses will scare it's victim and then it uses that to renDer it's victim motionless so it can strike and kill. Another article I read said that The Cold is drawn to powerful, or magical beings. It steals their power once it kills them to fuel it's own dark energy and make it stronger. But, with witches, The Cold hardly ever gets what it wants, their power, because of how strong a witch is. Think about it, a witch has the whole power of nature behind them and all The Cold has is it's dark energy fueled by the energy it took from Dead magical things. That's why, even though Lena was alone and everyone else was asleep, The Cold didn't over power her. Lena is a witch and a powerful one at this, especially since she has a coven. And the reason none of her family members were attacked is because-"

Logan was interrupted by Chord, who had surprisingly unDerstood every word of what she'd said, "Of the protective charm against supernatural beings. That means the spell worked."

Logan nodDed, "Yes, it does." Most of the members were smiling at this, knowing they had suceeDed in casting a charm to protect their families from supernatural threats. But, Felicity was looking bored and uncaring if weither or not her parents were killed by some creature.

"And why should I care about this... Shadow. It attacked Lena, not me." Felicity said slowly, letting the words roll over her slick red lips, her dark blue eyes, the color of twilight, staring at the flame that danced on the wick of a white candle that had been lit for light in the dank boat house.

A quiet fell over the rest of the coven and Felicity looked up at their faces, the flame casting small, moving shadows on her face. She smirked, liking the fact that she got unDer the skin of every one of the fifteen people in the room, except Layla who she'd taken unDer her arm and DeciDed was good enough to be her Deputy. But, Felicity knew that Layla would never be Felicity. She still DepenDed on the other members too much, and Felicity didn't need them. The reason she'd even DeciDed to think of Layla as anything other than another petty member was because of the fact that Layla wanted to find a way not to be linked to the coven. And only Felicity knew about this, but if Adrina were to somehow find out... Layla would no longer be looked at as a chivalrous member of the coven who, secretly in guilt of what she'd done, had tried to run into a burnt building to save Lena's parents. Felicity held both things against her. The secret of what she really wanted and the secret of what she'd done along with Felicity. Felicity would allow the coven to think it was all her fault that Lena's parents were Dead, for now. But all secrets eventually come out.

Felicity laughed throatily and then asked, "I'm not that terrifying, am I? Sometimes I think Logan read something wrong, and I should be the Chef De Fille the way you guys look at me.."

Rian scoffed, "We'd all be Dead if you were the Chef De Fille, Felicity."

"Rian," Felicity teased, "we all know you are just sticking up for your little girlfriend. Will Dear Adrina give you kiss tonight when you drop her off now?" Even thought her voice was teasing, there was a slight hardness to it and both Adrina and Rian were ridged. Everyone was stiff in awkwardness. Nobody liked Felicity, but they neeDed her none the less.

"You know that's not how it is with them, Felicity." Scarlett growled, staring daggers at the bigger girl. This was a siDe of Scarlett that people didn't get to see often, it was mostly reserved for Felicity. Scarlett got her temper from her late father.

"Oh, shut it, butterfly." Felicity snapped and Scarlett's eyes narrowed into slits, but she said no more. "I make a joke and you all act like I just asked if they were dating." Felicity rolled her eyes, "We all know about Rian and Addy's... Past. And it's obvious that they aren't over each other. Which is a pity really. Rian's not bad looking." Rian fidgetted feeling uncomfortable unDer the sexual look in Felicity's eyes.

"Are you only driven by sex?" Blaire asked. Everyone had thought she was just an airhead blonDe, but she proved to be much stronger and much smarter than they all thought.

Felicity smiled smugly, "Is that really a bad thing? I mean, what's not to like about sex."

"Pregnancy, STD's, AIDs, HIV..." Mia began listing off and Felicity frowned. The whole time Adrina had sat silently in her spot besiDe Lena and Logan, her two Deputies. In the coven it was like battle of the powers between Felicity and Adrina. Felicity's power came from terroizing and manipulating while Addy's came from righteousness and trust. The ultimate battle of power. And most meetings had this part, where Felicity did her part in the battle and everyone rose up to state their positions in the discussion. And everytime Adrina stayed silent, listening, taking it all in. And in this case, trying to forget it all happened.

Felicity got tired of her argument about sex with Mia and turned to look at Addy, "Well, what will it be princess? Got any good comebacks or should I put this down as a victory for moi."

Josh reached around and squeezed Adrina's hand in a friendly gesture. He knew how hard it was on her to fight with members of the coven, especially when she wanted to bring them all closer. Rian wanted to reassure Addy too, but he knew he probably shouldn't. It would just make it awkward again. "I think there has been enough arguing for tonight." Adrina said quietly.

Felicity huffed, "Oh, don't go playing miss perfect, never-up-for-a-fight. I know you want to say something awful, Adrina. Everyone wants to, most people just don't try as hard as you do. You can't just let everyone fight your battles for you."

"I don't allow people to fight my battles for me. They all hold their own grudges against you and fight on their own accords. I don't get mad over petty words, Felicity. You should know me better by now." Adrina said, everyone could see the dark cold in her green eyes. A look she only ever had when addressing Felicity.

"Oh yea," Felicity sneered, "I forgot you don't talk the talk, you only walk the walk. You only get down and dirty if it's physical. Well, guess what, sweetheart. I can make it physical." Felicity touched her fingertips on her right hand together and they sparked into a vibrant flame as the flame on the white candles flickered. Fire was Felicity's élément fort.

Everyone was, once again, ridged. Felicity wasn't one to care about who she hurt as long as she got to the one she was going for. Adrina's eyes were dark and she was about to stand, but Rian stood in front of her. "No one needs to be hurt tonight, Felicity." he said, his arms crossed over his large chest.

"This isn't your battle, Foster. Now move!" Felicity barked, the flame in her hands growing. Everyone was on their feet now, moving away from Felicity slowly. Lena was clinging to Kol as he stood in front of her and Mia. Jake and Luke stood infront of Blaire and Scarlett. Chord and Josh stood infront of Logan and Liam infront of Layla. And of course, Rian was infront of Adrina.

"Cool, it hothead." a voice said, as Ian stepped from the shadows, making his first big appearance of the night. Felicity turned her attention on him and his lip tilted up into a playful smirk, "Lower your gun their, big guy." He always referred to Felicity as a guy. He was the only one that ever got unDer her skin. He had his ways. But, he also got unDer Adrina's skin, with their history. She'd rather forget about it, but he didn't ever want to forget the feeling over her virgin olive oil skin. No, they didn't take part in Felicity's favorite past time. Just a few heated make out sessions in the back of Ian's 1950 Chevy pickup in the heat of early July.

Felicity's teeth were parted in a grimace and she looked like a wild jungle cat read to pounce. "Don't tell me what to do, Ian. And if I do something tonight, I'll make sure you're the first to go." she growled, the fire in her hand pulsing like her anger.

Ian continued to smile, her threat rolling right off his back, "Don't bring me into this, Felicity. Remember, this isn't my fight." Felicity was bascially smoking from anger at his sarcasm and lack of fear of her.

She reared back her flaming hand to through a scorching ball of flames at Ian, but Adrina's commanding voice stopped her, "Do not even think about it, Felicity. If you want to do things this way, we take it outsiDe." At first Felicity seemed surprised that she would agree to a fight, as was everyone else. Sweet, puritan Adrina in a fight against good for nothing, evil Felicity. It was an awful picture in their minds. But, if not now, it would with no doubt happen later.

Felicity smiled icily, which contrasted oddly with the burning fire in her hands. "Gladly." she purred before stepping out of the boat house and slowly, everyone began to file out after her.

Adrina started to go, but both Ian and Rian grabbed a hold of her arms. Realizing what they both had done, they looked at each other. Rian's warm brown eyes bore into Ian's chilly blue eyes and something insiDe their eyes maDe both of them realize they wanted the same thing. For Adrina to be safe. So, they both kept their hands on her arms. "Adrina," Rian murmured, sudDen real pain showing in his eyes, "Don't do anything you'll regret. And you know you'll regret this." Adrina wrenched her green eyes off of him, turning her head to Ian.

"Addy, he's right. This isn't you." Ian said and then he adDed, "It's dangerous." And Addy was stuck between finally ending this power war with Felicity at the cost of a few burns and listening to pleas of the two guys who cared the most about her, except for maybe Josh. She looked between the both of them, flashing back and forth between the warm brown of chocolate chips and the crisp and chilly blue of icicles.

"I have to do this." she said, and then she yanked her arms free of their grip.

OutsiDe, the ocean was calm and dark, reflecting the shining speckles of stars in the clear night sky. Felicity stood about a half a foot away from the waters edge, the fire pulsating in her hands and her eyes watching the tiDe move in and out. The rest of the coven sat quietly on the large beach rocks that were covered in sunbathers in the summer. Ian and Rian joined the others on the rocks as Adrina maDe her way over to stand infront of Felicity. "How are we doing this then?" Felicity asked, her eyes moving from the receding tiDe to Addy's face.

Addy stared right back at her, "We can only use our element fort. I think there's enough out here for both of us." Felicity nodDed and it became oddly peaceful. The calm before the storm, in a way.

Felicity was tall and lanky, like a jungle cat. And fierce like a bird of prey. Her lips were cherry red, her finger nails were shiny black. Her short black hair was spikey and laid disheveled around her bare shoulDers. She sported a sleeveless tube top that showed off a pierced belly button and was board-lining on showing to much cleavage. Her black skinny jeans hugged her legs in all the right places, showing off her curves nicely. And her toeless, black Jimmy Choos only adDed to her menacing hieght. Her skin was pale, almost white in the moonlight and it contrasted nicely with her red lips and Deep blue eyes. She looked like something out of a movie or a book. An exotic creature, nothing of a kind that any of them had seen.

And then there was Adrina with her long, pin straight auburn hair that fluttered in the slight breeze and her green eyes that sparkled like emeralds set againt a beautiful pastel background of skin that was dusted in well contrasting freckles. She was a real beauty. The kind you read about in books and wish you looked like. Yea, that was Adrina. She was like a godDess. Pure in every way. But, tough as nails when neeDed. She was strong in the mind and the body and she was loving. She drew people in and she tried not to let them down. She put everyone before her. Except for Felicity. She was the only person Adrina did not like. No. Adrina hated Felicity. It was a strange thing, hate was, for Adrina. But, it was true. And she hated Felicity just for that. For making her feel the awful, terrible emotion of hate.

It was like watching two godDesses go to war. And everyone was anxious. Even the two warriors. Even Felicity. She knew Adrina was strong. But, before either of them could even think of a spell to cast an awful shriek filled the night. Not the shriek of a human.

A large shadow was moving across the beach at an incredible speed and it was all blurred motions and loud sounds, but somewhere in the mess Logan's voice screamed, "The Cold!"

SudDenly, the shadow was circling the sixteen teenagers, who had managed to group together. All thoughts of fights were put in the back of their minds. And Lena knew this was of the same nature of the thing she'd witnessed, it was The Cold. Rian gripped Adrina's hand and she gripped Ian's and sudDenly everyone was holding hands and they could feel the magical energy running in a circuit from one witch to another, around and around the circle. Adrina started the chant, her eyes closing instinctually and everyone began to slowly follow, "Power of Earth, power of fire, power of air, power of water, do not let us falter, power of the elements, hold us together, power of nature, make us stronger." It wasn't a written spell that she'd read some where. The words just seemed right. Right now, they neeDed protection, and it just came to her.

When they all opened their eyes, they were glowing. The coven was glowing with power. And the shadow was letting off an awful hiss, and it was being driven away by the golDen glow that was flowing off the sixteen witches.

Even though it was a simple protective spell, holding it for the amount of time it was taking to break down the The Cold was tiring, exhausting. When the last of the shadow seemed to evaporate in the glow, the bond broke between their joined hands and they all collapsed, gasping and spluttering. "Is everyone okay?" Josh asked, his usually tidy red hair swept to the siDe and sticking up in odd directions. Everyone mumbled yes in tired voices. It was hard to believe that not even five minutes ago they had all had the energy to fight amongst each other and now they all wanted nothing more than to go home and go to sleep.

"Well," Scarlett started, standing up and brushing sand off of her bare legs and faDed blue jean shorts, "We wanted a fight, and we got one."

Everyone quietly agreed, slightly ashamed that they had been fighting amongst each other when they should have been focusing on fighting The Cold. Adrina stood and brushed the sand off of her own legs before saying, "I think we should all just go home. Blow off some steam, get a good nights sleep, and we'll meet again tomorrow after school."

Josh offered Logan and Blaire riDes. Jake and Scarlett left on Jake's Harley. Ian left in his truck on his own. Felicity gave Layla and her boyfriend Liam riDes in her Sedan. Kol, Lena, and Mia left in Mia's Corvette. Luke gave Chord a lift since they lived next to each other. And that left Adrina and Rian on the beach, alone. Adrina's face was crunched up in frustration, mostly in herself for losing her self-control and agreeing to fight Felicity. Rian watched her, wanted nothing more than to reach out and comfort her, but he knew that wouldn't help.

"Don't." Rian murmured and Adrina looked up at him with wiDe green eyes. At first, he thought she hadn't unDerstood what he meant by it, but then he realized she did. She was just shocked that he was reaching out to her after everything that had went on between them.

"I have to." she told him, but sounDed more like she was telling herself, "I'm the leaDer of this coven and I should know better than to fall for Felicity's stunts. Someone could have been hurt tonight because I was focusing on my personal battles instead of the coven's."

"But, no one got hurt." Rian reminDed her, "No one got hurt because you thought of a protection spell right on the spot and it worked." Adrina was shaking her head and sparkling tears were building up in her eyes.This time, Rian didn't even hesitate, he just grabbed her and pulled her into his arms. "Sh," he soothed, running his hand gently over her silky hair, "I don't unDerstand why your so upset. Everyone's safe."

"Because I'm bad!" she cried, and her body heaved while she breathed in wildy, "I thought I was so good and all of you think I'm so good! But, everyday I feel myself becoming more and more like Felicity!"

Rian's arms tightened around Adrina and his eyebrows were scrunched together in a very unattractive way. "You are good! Why would you even say that?"

Addy was sobbing and she just managed to say, "N-no, I'm not!"

"Yes, you are good." Rian said, his voice low and his eyes dark with affection and love. Addy's cries stopped and she looked at him, confused.

"Why do you care so much for me? After everything?" she asked, a crease shaping between her wiDe green eyes in confusion.

Rian was quiet for a minute, thinking of the answer himself. But, the truth was that he loved her. As much as he had hurt from the the past things, he loved her and there was no getting away from that. But, instead of saying what he knew was true, he showed her. He took her smooth, Delicate face in his large, calloused hands and he gently pressed his lips to her fragile ones.

The kiss was soft, but passionate. Filled with his painful, real love for her. And Addy knew what he was feeling. But, she couldn't stand knowing that she loved him too. Because even though that was true, when she kissed him, she saw Ian and she felt his hands on her skin and she knew it was wrong. It was terribly wrong. She pulled back and stuttered, "I-I... I can't.."

Rian's eyes were filled with aching pain. "Why?" he asked her, disbelief in his voice, "You can't tell me that you didn't feel something when I did that. You can't tell me that you don't feel something when I touch you like this." His hand trailed softly down her arm, beginning at the crease of her elbow and ending with his fingers slowly leaving hers. She shudDered at his touch and her eyes closed. For a moment she actually thought about it, about her and him. About how things had been last year, but then Ian popped into her mind again and she knew she couldn't be with Rian, when Ian was still there in the back of her mind.

"No," she said again, her voice more fierce and Determined this time than the last, "I can't. Rian, I can't be with you and know that I could hurt you as bad, or worse than I did last time. I'm sorry." And with that, she tore her eyes from his and began to walk away, but Rian's voice stopped her.

"Addy, hey, at least let me drive you home." he said, just loud enough that she'd hear him, his voice carrying to her own the warm salty breeze. But, she didn't turn around.

"It's only a few miles... I can walk." she said, louDer, making sure he heard her. But, Rian wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Come on. It's a bit chilly, and The Cold could still be lingering out there in the dark." he said, and she knew he was right, so, reluctantly, she turned and walked back towards him. And together and walked to Rian's beat up Volvo that used to be his brothers.