detective man | Teen Ink

detective man

Author's note:

teacher inspired me to write this piece

Today seemed like just another ordinary day, until I got the call for another case. A huge mafia crime boss by the name of Genzo Romano is trying to smuggle more weapons into the US and I needed to find his supplier, I know I can take this case on without any problems. He ruled the entire Gulf of Mexico. First off, I need to find a way to get in touch with Genzo, so I decided to get a job as a cook at his Italian restaurant. I started learning how to cook at home so I could get the job as the executive chef. I asked around what Genzo's favorite food and the people around his neighborhood said spaghetti. 

I went home. I called Johnny, my best friend and also my partner at the police station, were both detectives and crime scene investigators. He's an experienced chef so I asked him how to cook authentic Italian dishes. We spent hours trying to perfect spaghetti and other foods. I applied for a job at his restaurant. He had me cook him 3 Italian dishes and supplied me with the ingredients. I cooked him carbonara, bruschetta and spaghetti. He was satisfied and I got the job there. I begin talking to Genzo every day to gain his trust during meals. I begin to slowly become his right hand man and get included on all his deals. Theres gonna be a deal soon where Genzo is gonna buy some weapons from his gun supplier in Mexico. I tell my boss and when and where its gonna happen so they can be there to arrest both parties. 

At the place, a dusty abandoned warehouse, Genzo and I wait patiently until the supplier arrives, When he finally appears we make the deal. Genzo has the money and the supplier has the guns. As soon as the transaction happened the cops show up. They arrest both the supplier and Genzo for Arms trafficking. I talk to Genzo before he leaves for jail. 

"You and your family are gonna have to pay"

Another case is closed and I will return to regular life. Five days pass and Genzo was put on Bail and released. At work, I was talking to Johnny and I get a call, my wife and son has been kidnapped by the Genzo's group.

I get another case but  I need to make a group to help me rescue my wife. At work I get another case, they informed Johnny and I about the situation. The last investigator couldn't solve this case so they moved it to me. A wealthy old woman has been killed inside a locked room. The daughter of the lady heard a gunshot and ran to the room. The door was locked and there was no response from the grandma. The daughter then told her mother to move away from the window and shot the keyhole of the door, opening it. There, the grandmother laid dead on the ground with a bullet hole through her eye. We get there to the scene. We met up with Carla, a district attorney at our station. She talked to us about the legalities of the situation and informed us that we didn't need a warrant. I started to think of possible solutions of the crime and I finally came up with one. The first gunshot was a distraction gunshot to make it look like the person inside is dead. Then the daughter of the woman told her to move away from the window, so she can get closer to the keyhole and get shot. Then the daughter shot at the keyhole while the woman was looking through it, killing her instantly. We found out that the old woman was going to donate all of her money to charity soon and we were quick to solve why she was murdered. The daughter wanted to inherit all the money from her mother. She was arrested and she awaited her trial.  

After the case, I talked to Johnny and Carla about the situation. I asked them to help me track and find Genzo down and rescue my family. Johnny accepted the offer I gave him to get back my family. Carla also accepted but she told us that she will not do anything, just inform us about the legalities. 

I was assigned another case about another locked room murder.  Two wealthy men by the name Charles Delaney and Wilbur Harrington went into a room to discuss about their large companies. Room was locked and the outside the door was guarded by two men. Only Charles came out of the room, the other one seemingly disappeared. Both security guards saw the two enter the room but how does someone just disappear. We arrested Charles Delaney and marked him as a suspect. We talked to him and he said that Wilbur had disappeared, so he left. I was stumped, I started to think how people can just vanish, like going out the window but it was a huge hotel on the top floor. We looked at the windows, nothing. We checked the security tapes, the recordings from that time was deleted. I called a friend to help me retrieve the files. His name was Camden. I met him on a hacking forum where he gave me information on the cases that I couldn't solve. Camden also had a grudge against Genzo. Genzo had Camden make a program to track gun and drug shipments and did not pay him after he finished. We met at the hotel and he copied the entire computer where the video camera is stored. I went home and waited for him to send me the videos. He had sent me the videos and it only showed a thirty minute clip of Charles Delaney and Wilbur Harrington entering and only Charles leaving the room. His story matches up but no one can just vanish. I was perplexed, only way to solve this case is to wait and look for all possibilities. A week later the hotel called me, in that certain room, they have been getting clogged toilets lately and that they suspect something is in the sewage pipes. I get there with my team to find out what is in the sewage pipes. The man opens it up and it was the chopped up pieces of Wilbur Harrington. We get the police to search for Charles immediately. There was no signs of him. We obtained a search warrant of Charles house, and Camden had quickly accessed the computer and scanned for files. He had taken a private jet to Russia to escape the police. But we stumble upon a main problem, we can't move him back to the US because of the US and Russia doesn't have an extradition treaty. I solved the case but I can't do anything about it. We informed Wilbur Harrington's family what had happened. A week passes and we get a call for our informants. Charles Delaney has mysteriously killed himself in his mansion in Russia. We can't do anything again because it takes place in foreign territory. I told Camden the results of the case and he suspects that someone angry close to Wilbur had sent out someone to kill Charles. I also agreed with his conclusion. I told him about Johnny and Carla and he agreed to help me find my family. You see, he had known that Genzo was going to scam him and not pay him, so he ratted the program that he had sent to Genzo, giving him full access to his computer.

Next case was different, if you can even call it a case. I was invited to a dinner party at a mansion by the mysterious Maxwell Daniel. There were a around 6 there including me. Each plate had our names listen on it indicating where we should sit. Everyone calmly sat down and began to wait. People started introducing themselves. Everyone there was a detective of some sort. Maxwell Daniel joined us in the dining room. Maxwell began to explain that he was the greatest detective in the world and he will present us with a case at midnight,  solves all the cases will get a million dollars. Then after, he shortly left. Food came and everyone waited for the small hand to pass twelve. During midnight suspense kept building up in the room. As soon as 12 struck one of the dinner guests had collapsed on the floor, breathing rapidly with his heartbeat slowing down. No one could help him. There was no service or any first aid treatments in the house. We waited for time to pass because since he's dying slowly its going to take a while. Finally, he died and everyone was quick to see what had caused the death. I believed it could of been a poison.  But by the time they have gotten to the fallen man, the lights flashed off and on and his body instantly disappeared. The other detectives already ruled out a possibility of a poisoning because we have shared the same champagne bottle and the cooks didn't do anything. They started check around for what had caused the death. I immediately started looking for his champagne glass. I saw the residue and then the residue showed poison looking substance on the glass. So his glass was only laced with poison. I began to tell the others and they have also agreed with my conclusion. 30 minutes later, there was another murder. One of the butlers has been murdered with a knife. He was in the same room as us, so this means that it could of only been one of the killers. I started to look around the house. I headed upstairs with a man with a huge scar covering his eye. His name was Alex Govich. He was a veteran sniper and private investigator. We enter a dark room trying to find the lights. I turned on the lights and looked at the clock, 12:57. He and I both know a murder is going to happen so we look around while that is happening. A couple minutes passed and I hear Alex's ear piercing shriek from across the room. I quickly run to him and check if hes ok. Luckily everything is fine, he got caught in a cobweb. Everyone started rushing upstairs because of Alex's scream and immediately as they got up. We hear a gunshot. The last one behind the group that was heading up the stairs has been shot in the head. As soon as it happened the lights once again, flickered on and off, and the body disappearing. This rules out everyone here because everyone was grouped. Everyone remained confused and agreed that an outside force has been controlling the murders. We then go to sleep in the Mansion, locking our room doors and trying to sleep with paranoia filling our minds. So then I woke up in the morning. The Butler and the two people that were supposed to be dead were at the dining room, greeting the entire group. It turns out that it was all a game and that we did not solve the cases, so we did not get any money. Alex was the so called murderer all along. He hid the "bodies" that flashed away under the floorboards. He got the "kill" off on the last man by having a trap set up on the stairs. Maxwell Daniel sent us off back to our houses. I talk to Alex after the whole situation was solved. I asked him if he can help track down and get my family back from Genzo. You see, Alex also has history with Genzo. The man who caused the large scar that took his eye was Genzo. Alex had tried to go undercover and arrest Genzo and was founded out and as a price, Genzo took his left eye. I take him to my house and called the others to introduce Alex to them. 

I already informed the station about him holding my family hostage. We all met each other at my house. I introduced everyone to each other and we had to make a plan to save my family. Camden shows everyone his laptop. He had all access to Genzo's computer. It showed where Genzo was hiding and everything on Genzo's computer. Carla is shocked because the things on Genzo's computer can get him arrested and jailed for life. Genzo's hideout was at Genzo's warehouse on 9th avenue near a dock. I also sent a message to the police chief and he begins to set up the raid. He told us that the raid is gonna happen in 4 days.  The next day, day 1, the station supplied us with guns and equipment that we will use during the raid. They told us they will be planning the raid tomorrow so we have to be at the station at 8am. We trained at the shooting range the entire day. All of us were mediocre except for Alex and Camden. Alex hit every shot perfectly while Camden misses each shot off by a mile. We practiced and practiced until the sun came down. Everyone was exhausted and tired.  At night when everyone went home. I asked for permission to go back to the shooting range to make me as good as Alex. I practiced all night until I feel asleep at the range. I luckily woke up in the morning at 6:30 and then drove home to get ready for the planning. My colleagues at the station greeted me and I met members of the SWAT team that are going to assist me. We confirmed the location by sending a person nearby and scouting the location. They took pictures of the warehouse and buildings nearby. They saw Genzo and my family at the warehouse. So we confirmed the location, now we have to plan for any contingencies. We checked for any oversights and began to form our strategy. The warehouse is basically a rectangular box with two doors at the front and one small door in the back. We have to surround all entry and exit points of the warehouse so we will have to have people at the two big doors and some at the smaller exit. We made sure that everybody knew where they were going to be and their roles at the briefing they told us to come again tomorrow, that ends day 2. After day 2 ended we sent another person to re-verify the information that we have been received and it was credible. On day 3 we met back at the station. We went over the plan again and double check all our sources, we need to make sure that we did not do anything wrong. After we went over all the plans again, we checked everything out with the lawyers to see if everything is ok to do. After that we wait for the raid to begin tomorrow. After the briefing ended, the group and I head to the shooting rage to practice again. Alex was still the best at shooting but I have become slightly better than the others. Camden was still terrible at shooting but it is ok because hes Camden. We left early to get rest for tomorrow. 

I woke up early in the morning. I got dressed, brushed my teeth and headed to the station. I arrived at the station and greeted everyone there that was apart of the raid. We went over the plan again for the last time, surround the building, go through the entrance and block the exit. The SWAT team head into their assigned vehicles and we go in an unmarked car. The anticipation is growing with each turn I take in the car. We meet at the point nearby for the car to catch up with us. I then instruct the SWAT team members what to do and how we are going to do it and then we went back in our cars. The first swat car got to the front of the warehouse and the people in the car ran out to go to the entrance. After that happened the second car zoomed to the back of the exit. They blocked and waited at the exit to see if anybody tries to escape while the first squad checks inside the building. As soon as the first squad ran into the warehouse, there was a huge explosion at the entrance.  The door has been breeched and the first squad made their way in. The entire warehouse looked desolate. The emptiness of the warehouse paired with the serious energy of the squad had created a tense mood that surrounded the building. They went on their communication devices to tell me that no one was there. I informed the second squad and told them to enter through the exit to clear that part to see if anyone is there. Both squads had checked all the rooms and told me that they're empty. I told the Camden and the others, they were all shocked. In the span of 1 night, they moved everything out of their warehouse and simply disappeared. This is just like the case with Wilbur and Charles. When the squads finished securing the area and declaring that they found no one. The group and I got out of the car to investigate what happened. They escaped, but since Camden has access to Genzo's computer we know where they're going to be because we can track the location of the computer. We drove back to the station and sent a team to go over anything the swat team missed.  We went over what went wrong and then we planned for next time. I told them that last night, Genzo moved all of his business across the city. We used the exact same basics of the plan we had used, secure all exits and entrances. 

Camden tracked the computer to a Holiday Inn hotel and that we are going to need the help of the workers there to tell us what room he is staying at. We sent someone to the Holiday Inn to ask the workers if a man by the name of Genzo Romano had come in the hotel and what room he is staying at. They told the person that Genzo had bought all the rooms on the 14th floor and that all of his friends are living up there with him. He also asked for a copy of the layout for the rooms on the 14th floor and informed us that a bunch of black cars with heavily tinted windows have been in the parking lot. Back at the station we plan the raid. It was simple because the plan was basically the same as the warhouse. The layout for floor 14 is 5 huge exclusive rooms, two on the left and two on the right and one in front as soon as you exit the elevator. We planned that we will secure the building and that the first squad will be going up the elevator in two groups. We will secure each room while people give cover to the other rooms. We plan to make this raid in 8 hours. We rested for the remaining time that we had. After the break we got all of our things ready. We were prepared to rescue the kidnapped victims aka my family and arrest Genzo again. We got prepared and hopped into the squad cars while the swat went in the vans. We drove to a point near Holiday Inn and did the same thing we did for the warehouse raid. The swat cars drove at the entrance while the main non-swat members stayed in a police van and talked to each other. They stormed the entrance of the hotel and the second squad secured the back of the Hotel. The first squad went in and started to evacuate everyone out of the hotel. The first squad splitted into 2 groups to head up the elevator and stairs. One group headed up the stairs and then the second group headed up the elevator. When they reached the top all the doors were closed and locked in each room. The squads regrouped at the top of the floor and began to breech doors. The cops watched the locked doors of each room while one man breeches the rooms one by one with a battering ram. In the first room there was my family guarded by a team of Genzo's men.  The squad quickly fired their weapons until the men were no longer a threat. They rushed my family downstairs where they were safe. They broke down the door of the second room, it was a room full of Genzo's men sleeping. They were arrested and secured with the people downstairs. Rooms 3  and 4 were the exact same thing. The squad members broke down the door of the 5th room and there was Genzo. He was sitting on the chair and seemed like he accepted his fate. We quickly arrested him and it was over.