The Sociopath | Teen Ink

The Sociopath

By Theoneandonlywriter SILVER, Spring, Texas
Theoneandonlywriter SILVER, Spring, Texas

"They say the captain goes down with the ship. So, when the world ends, will God go down with it?"

The Sociopath

Cast:

Marcus Rein- The Sociopath
Carolina Green- The therapist
Patient 1- Dissociative Identity Disorder patient
Patient 2- Schizophrenic patient

The stage brightens to reveal a male and female, they are sitting across from each other in a chair, the woman is holding a clipboard

Carolina Green- So, what brings you here today? (The therapist looks at her clipboard that she holds in her hands.) Marcus Rein?

Marcus Rein- Well, my last name is pronounce as in rain, not Rein.

Carolina Green- That’s what I said, didn’t I?

Marcus Rein- I think, I wasn’t paying attention.

Carolina Green- Is it because you were diagnosed with ADHD

Marcus Rein- Well… No...

Carolina Green- Okay (looks at Marcus weirdly) Well what brings you here today?

Marcus Rein- I was advised to come see you three years ago.

Carolina Green- Why would you wait so long to come see me?

Marcus Rein- Because I was bored, I decided to see how this would turn out.

Carolina Green- Well, you shouldn’t come see a therapist out of pure boredom.

Marcus Rein- Can you prescribe me alprazolam?

Carolina Green- I don’t do prescriptions.

Marcus Rein- You’re not a doctor?

Carolina Green- No, I’m a therapist, there’s a difference between the two.

Marcus Rein- (looks around as if he is surprised) Well, can’t say that I’m shocked, I mean look at the way you are dressed.

Carolina Green- (angered tone) What’s wrong with the way that I’m dressed?

Marcus Rein- Whoa, don’t get mad at me, I’m not the one who dresses you every morning.

Carolina Green- (looks through her pages and nods her head) Ah I see, it says here that you’re a sociopath, do you confirm that?

Marcus Rein- Well according to my brain doctor.

Carolina Green- That would explain your ruthless comments.

Marcus Rein- (Stares at Carolina’s shirt) You have a jelly stain on your shirt.

Carolina Green- (Covers her shirt and looks at Marcus) We’re here for you, not for me.

Marcus Rein- Oh yeah, I forgot, well I can’t pay attention with that jelly stain on your shirt, it’s making me hungry.

Carolina Green- I’ll be sure to clean my shirt next time.

Marcus Rein- Why not right now?

Carolina Green- Because I’m busy right now.

Marcus Rein- Doing what?

Carolina Green- Talking to you, listen are you here for anything important?

Marcus Rein- Actually my time is up, goodbye (Gets up and leaves)

Carolina Green- (Whispers “what the f” under her breath)

Scene changes. Patient 1 and Marcus Rein are sitting at the park

Patient 1- (twitches) Hey, man. Do you have the drugs?

Marcus Rein- Man, what the hell is up with you and drugs, we weren’t even on the topic of drugs.

Patient 1- (Twitches more) That tree over there is telling me it has drugs (sniffs hardly)

Marcus Rein- Trees don’t speak.

Patient 1- But, that one does.

Marcus Rein- You know, sometimes I wish that I had your condition, things speaking that aren’t supposed to be speaking.

Patient 1- It’s great, I know, last night I was talking to my sock.

Marcus Rein- What were you two talking about? How your sock suffers from the smell of your stinky ass feet.

Patient 1- (Looks at Drake) How did you know that?

Marcus Rein- No wonder you’re in the hospital. How’s the girlfriend coming along, by the way?

Patient 1- She’s pretty good, had to cut her off, found out she was seeing the hospital owner.

Marcus Rein- How did you not know?

Patient 1- Oh I did, I seen his lipstick on her neck.

Marcus Rein- His lipstick? He wears lipstick?

Patient 1- More like a she was (sniffs harder)

A distant yell can be heard from a group of nurses and security officers

Patient 1- Damn, that’s my cue, I gotta go (starts running away)

Marcus Rein- Um, see you later.

Scene changes, Marcus Rein is back talking to the therapist.

Marcus Rein- So, I’m talking to my friend who’s in a mental asylum. Then, a sudden thought appears in my head like, “This man is crazy! What are you doing speaking to crazy people. This man could kill me any moment if he’d like, so why am I still friends with him.”

Carolina Green- Listen, Mr. Rein, You do understand that you’re mental also, You’re exactly like him, that is why you’re here right now.

Marcus Rein- (laughs loudly) I am not crazy….sociopathic, yes. But, absolutely not crazy.

Carolina Green- Mr. Rein, you ran out your room earlier with feathers glued to your body screaming “I am a chicken” at the top of your lungs.

Marcus Rein- I only did that because I didn’t get enough sleep.

Carolina Green- Not to mention, you wanted me to act like we just met when we last saw each other.

Marcus Rein- Because I wanted to act upon my theater skills that I learned when I was in high school.

Carolina Green- Listen, you’re here to get better, not here to play around.

Marcus Rein- I refuse to take any more of this nonsense.

Carolina Green- What nonsense are you referring to?

Marcus Rein- You telling me that I’m a damn nutcase. I know what I am and I know why I am here.

Carolina Green- What do you believe your purpose is here?

Marcus Rein- To release all the asylum patients and unite to create an army, the world needs to know that we are stronger and much better than regular people.

Carolina Green- So you admit that you’re unlike other people.

Marcus Rein- Yes, I also admitted that I’m better than other people, much more powerful and smarter.

Carolina Green- (writes some notes down into her clipboard) I understand, so do you think this alot?

Marcus Rein- Oh its everyday, it’s my biggest goal.

Carolina Green- Okay well your time is up, next patient!

Marcus Rein- Well then, I’m offended (Gets up and leaves)

Scene changes, Marcus Rein is sitting down on a bed with his roommate patient 2 who is sitting across from him.

Marcus Rein- Why does my therapist keep saying that I’m psycho?

Patient 2- Well, I don’t think she’s saying that you’re a psycho, maybe she’s trying to diagnose you again.

Patient 1 walks into the room.

Patient 1- Hey guys, I found a way to escape from here again, it’s through the air vent.

Marcus Rein- We don’t have an air vent in our room.

Patient 1- Let’s make one (points to the ceiling) Right on this spot, nobody will know.

Patient 2- This is why you’ve been here for six years already, just do your time here and leave.

Patient 1- They won’t let me, says I have to stay the rest of my life here since I killed Drake.

Marcus Rein- Wait, quick question, how do you always find a way out of here.

Patient 1- A voice in my head lets me know where to go, his name is Jack.

Patient 2- That explains everything (Looks at the wall) What? No, we don’t eat dinner till 6 pm.

Marcus Rein- And who were you speaking to this time?

Patient 2- You can’t see him? It’s my uncle Johnny.

Marcus Rein- *looks at patient 1* And we're the crazy ones. Hey by the way, do you think I'm crazy?

Patient 1- Hell no, you're the weakest link here.

Marcus Rein- So I couldn't put together an army of psychos?

Patient 1- Please, you can't even draw a picture of a tree.

Marcus Rein- Well, you obviously can't judge me because you've only known me for four days.

Patient 1- Four days too long, buddy.

Patient 2- (Laughs out loud) Oh Uncle Johnny! You’re the best uncle ever!

Marcus and Patient 1 both look at Patient 2 disturbingly

Marcus Rein-  (Shakes head) Well anyway, what’s the first thing that you would do if you could get out of here?

Patient 1- Well, the first time that I broke out of this place, I went over to Chuck E. Cheese and got into a fight with that crazy rat guy.

Marcus Rein- You mean Chuck E. Cheese?

Patient 1- That’s who I’m talking about, he talks too much mess.

Patient 2- Wait a minute, you got into a fight with Chuck E. Cheese?

Patient 1- That’s right! He’s a talkative fellow, a little too talkative, so I rammed him in the face with my foot.

Patient 2- Give me one good reason for me not to ram my foot into your face for hurting my childhood idol!

Marcus Rein- So, when you were a child, you wanted to be a rat?

Patient 2- Not a rat, a mouse, every child has a weird dream.

Marcus Rein- What’s the difference?

Patient 2- Imagine a cute little furry ball of cuteness, that’s a mouse. Now, imagine a huge abomination of a creature who is supposedly the cousin of the mouse, that’s a rat.

Patient 1- As a child, I think a rat would better suit you.

A distant yell is heard “Sleep time”

Marcus Rein- Well I guess we have to go to sleep now.

Patient 1- Yeah well, goodnight.

Patient 2- Goodnight my fellow patientees.

They all go to sleep. After a few moments, patient 1 gets out of bed and climbs out the window. Moments later, Patient 1 comes back to the window and opens it with no struggle. He then brings in a ladder and a spoon.

Silently he open the ladder where the supposed air vent spot is at and begins digging.

Marcus Rein- What the hell are you doing?

Patient 1 gets startled and falls off the ladder shakenly, he then gets up real fast and looks at Marcus.

Patient 1- Nothing much, you?

Marcus Rein- (Grabs the spoon from Patient 1) A spoon really? We’re gonna need something better, plus how the hell did you get a ladder in here without waking us up?

Patient 1- Oh I just snuck out to get it from the hardware store nearby.

Marcus Rein- So, let me get this straight, you escaped through the window very easily, just to go get supplies from the nearest department-

Patient 1- (Corrects Marcus) Hardware store.

Marcus Rein-  Why must we go through a homemade air vent when you went easily through the window!!!

Patient 1- Aghhh I like giving me a little challenge.

Patient 2- That’s right.

Both Marcus and Patient 1 jump to the sound of Patient 2’s voice

Marcus Rein- Damn! We thought you were asleep!

Patient 2- I can’t sleep if I’m the master of my domain, for god’s sake I need privacy. (Gets up and looks at the ladder and smiles) Well what’s going on here, fellas?

Marcus Rein- Well, he escaped through the window to go get supplies to escape again through the air vent he's trying to dig.

Patient 2- Gotta give the man a challenge.

Marcus Rein- Alright well you keep working on your air vent, buddy. Don't make too much noise (walks back to his bed and lays down)

Patient 1- You got it, man!

Distant voice- What’s all the noise over there!!

Patient 2- (Yells) Nothing!

Distant voice- Okay, go to sleep!

Marcus, Patient 1 and 2- Okay!

Marcus- Yeah, that’s a good idea, let’s go to sleep before they catch you again.

Patient 1- Yeahh, you’re right. Goodnight guys.

Marcus and Patient 2- Night man.

They all head to sleep, after a few moments, Patient 1 gets up again and begins working on the air vent again. The scene then changes to Carolina Green alone in her office, the room is barely lit, she is speaking on the phone.

BLUE LIGHTS

Carolina Green- Yes, is this the mother of Marcus Rein?

Patient 2 then appears on the phone trying to sound like a woman

Patient 2- Yes, this is she. What’s wrong with my boy?

Carolina Green- Are you okay, ma’am? You sound different from when we spoke last time.

Patient 2- Of course I’m okay! You never ask a woman why she sounds weird.

Carolina Green- Course, I apologize, ma’am. Well, Marcus is doing just fine, I wanted to tell you that he will be discharged tomorrow, I’m going to fax you a list of medical therapist to check out.

Patient 2- Damn it, woman. I have a job and a family to take care of, I can’t pick up Marcus tomorrow, discharge him next week, no actually next month.

Carolina Green- Ma’am..

Patient 2- Yes?

Carolina Green- Are you ever going to pick up your son? Or must we call Child Protective Services?

Patient 2- I will pick up my son whenever I please!

Patient 1 joins the phone conversation in a deep, raspy voice.

Patient 1- Hello, this is Marcus’s father.

Carolina Green- You two sound familiar.

Patient 2- (Looks over at Patient 1) Well… you must of heard us on a commercial, cause me and my husband do commercial skits.

Carolina Green- Oh that explains it, well, will you two pick up your son tomorrow?

Patient 1- Hell no, keep his ass there, we don’t want him anymore. Now, this conversation is over, if you call again, I will…(Looks around)..I will sue you!

Patient 2- Yes! We will sue you for a bunch of money!

Carolina Green- Okay well, people like you are a disgrace to this world.

Patient 1- Good, I know that I’m a disgrace and I’m quite proud of it.

Patient 2- I’m not a disgrace, I just don’t want my son anymore.

Carolina Green- Well, Child Services will be here tomorrow and if you do not pick up your son by then, they surely will.

Patient 1 and 2- Good (They both hang up the phones)

Carolina Green stares at her phone in disbelief wondering how she’s going to break the news to Marcus. Same scene but the next morning in her office.

Carolina Green- (rings the buzzer on her desk) Bring Marcus Rein in, I wish to speak to him.

A few minutes pass while Carolina Green is on her phone, Marcus then comes in smoking a cuban cigar and has a baseball bat over his shoulders.

Marcus Rein- (Grins widely) Today is my lucky day isn’t it?

Carolina Green- Mr. Rein, are you smoking a cigar? Where the hell did you get that?

Marcus Rein- Oh I have a friend that sneak out every night and comes back with new things, he brought me a cigar this morning. (Gives the cigar a few puffs)

Carolina Green- Why do you have a baseball bat?

Marcus Rein- Oh I was teaching all the patients how to play baseball here.

Carolina Green- Okay, well, I have some news to break to you.

Marcus Rein- Trump is finally out of office?

Carolina Green- No.

Marcus Rein- The coffee company finally responded to my lawsuit, what’s the news, I knew that coffee was too damn hot!

Carolina Green- Your parents are refusing to pick you up.

Marcus stares blankly at her in disbelief and drops the bat.

Marcus Rein- As in today?

Carolina Green- As in forever, they think you deserve to be here, but we think you’re ready to go back into the real world.

Marcus Rein- Well, what’s gonna happen?

Carolina Green- We’re gonna call an orphanage for you, Child Protective Services are on their way to pick you up.

Marcus Rein- Wait, why can I not stay here?

Carolina Green- Why do you wish to stay here?

Marcus Rein- Well the food here is good, I have friends here, the therapy is great.

Carolina Green- (Smiles) Thank you.

Marcus Rein- Not to mention, we have our own individual toilet.

Carolina Green- Well, it’s okay, but, I really think it’s time for you to go pack up your clothes.

Marcus Rein- Well, I am going to miss you, you were the hottest therapist that I’ve ever had.

Carolina Green- (Smiles once more) I will miss you as a patient, you were one of the better ones.

They both get up and go in for a long hug and finally the pull away and they both wipe a tear from their eyes.

Carolina Green- (places her hand on Marcus’ shoulder) It’s time, go pack up, dear.

Marcus Rein- (Smiles) Okay (starts walking towards the door, he then turns around right when he opens the door) Hey, I’ll see you around (He then winks).

Scene then changes to the room where the three are staying.

Marcus Rein- Hey, man. I need a quick escape, CPS is here to take me away because my parents don’t want me anymore.

Patient 1- Awh man, I’m sorry about that, my parents did the same, don’t worry.

Patient 2- I got it! How about we all escape!

Marcus Rein- That’s a splendid idea.

They both turn to Patient 1

Patient 1- (stares at both of them back, after awhile he gets it) OH! That’s what you mean, okay I know a way out of here. Hey, Jack, I need a quick escape out of here. (Waits awhile and nods a few times) Yeah, uh huh, okay. I got it, guys. Follow me! (jumps out of the window that he escaped from earlier)

Patient 2- (Follows Patient 1) Come on, Uncle Johnny and Marcus!

Marcus Rein- (Looks around the room one last time and smiles before he jumps out of the window)

The stage darkens, that’s the end, To be Continued in another play.