The Truth | Teen Ink

The Truth

“I can't find her, okay? I can't find her. She was on the carousel and I was on the phone, I was watching her. I stepped away for a minute while she went around, when I walked back over only her pony was there, and there was no Caroline,” I told the police.
“We'll find her, she probably got scared you weren't there anymore and got off to look for you. Just relax, we'll find her.”
“I thought we'd just have a fun day at the amusement park. Once we arrived her eyes drew to the carousel. She spent hours on it. After her fifth time around I got a call from my ex husband. I swear I was watching her, it was for a second I took my eyes off her.”
My heart sank to my stomach. I’d spent hours searching for her around the park,  checking every ride, every tree, every bathroom but still no Caroline. She was the only thought on my mind.
Years passed, Caroline would have been about seventeen. The police stopped looking about after month, they had had no hope from the start. A four year old girl goes missing at an amusement park it's rare that they ever show up again. I still looked for her everyday, whenever I was at the gas station or at the supermarket I imagined that she'd walk past me, I knew it would never actually be Caroline though. I moved into a different house than the one Caroline and I  had lived in before, I couldn't wait there and look at all these pictures on the wall. I still owned it and visited it often, In hope that maybe one day she’d find it again and walk through the doors.
I picked up the career of a school photographer at the high schools around me. I always had the picture of her on the carousel right before she went missing beside me, hoping that one day the girl through the lens would match the girl in the picture.
Then one day a teenage girl sat on the chair in front of me with the same bright blue eyes that I had always loved about Caroline. My mouth dropped. I didn't even know what to say so I started from the basics.  “Where are you from?” I asked.
“Salem, New Hampshire originally.”
“Me too. How old are you?”
“I just turned 17.”
“What was your childhood like?”
“Don't really remember it.”
  I took her picture and wished her a good day. I went home later that night comparing the photos I had take of her to the old photos of Caroline, the resemblance was amazing, dirty blonde hair, blue eyes and the nose, the nose, you couldn't mistake that, it had to be her.

I pulled the box of winter clothes out from beneath my mother's bed and finally found the white shirt I'd been looking for. When I went to slide the box back under the bed something slid across my arm. I stuck my hand back under and started patting the top of the bed to see what it was, and I felt a few loose papers. I pulled them out to see a missing person's paper clipping in my hand. At first I was confused why my mom would have missing persons papers under her bed until I looked at it more closely. My mouth dropped and my hands shook. “What,” I said to myself beneath my breath. The paper was an old cut out of a picture of a little girl, from about 1999. The girl looked alot like me. I was in disbelief but mostly confused. What did this mean? There were about 5 different newspaper articles and ‘Missing’ signs, as well as an old picture that I'd never seen before of a girl on a carousel. I started skimming through the article. “Four year old Caroline Wilson was declared missing Tuesday morning from an amusement park in Salem, New Hampshire, if...” I heard footsteps coming towards the room, I took the newspaper articles and ran into my room with the sweater.
“Caroline, what do you want for breakfast?” My mom said.
“Uhh, um, an-anything is okay I guess,” I could barely look at her without crying.
“Hun, are you okay? You seem a little shaky, are you sick?”
“No, no, I'm fine, I just think I'm really hungry, maybe pancakes?”
“Alright, honey,” she looked at me confused, “It will be done soon,” she said and walked out.
Sitting on my bed, my eyes filled with tears as I looked at the article, I just didn't understand. While I thought about it, though, maybe it did make sense. Both my parents had brown eyes but I had blue eyes, both my parents had brown hair but I had blonde, both my parents are 5’9 and taller but I'm only 5’2. Maybe this was all true, so this family I'd been living with for the past fifteen years not my actual family? I heard my mom yell for me that breakfast was done, I got off my bed, wiped the tears out from my eyes, changed into the white sweater, and hid the newspaper articles in an old Series of Unfortunate Events book I had on my bookshelf.
“So how was your day yesterday, what did you learn?” Mom asked.
“We learned about dominant and recessive. Actually, I have a question about that. Ms. Joist said that blue eyes are recessive and brown eyes are dominant. You and dad both have brown eyes, so how is it possible I have blue?”
“That’s weird, I never knew that, maybe you got lucky, hun,” she said nervously. “You want maple syrup?”
I ignored her question and ate my pancakes quick, I needed to leave there and I needed to leave there fast. It was almost 7:30. “Mom, are you ready to go,” I said, already heading towards the garage.
“Yah let me just get my keys, but where did you get that sweater?”
“Under your bed in the box,” I said nonchalantly, hoping she'd think about it.
I got to school and headed to my first class, English. Fifteen minutes into class the phone started ringing, when my teacher answered it she asked me to go down to the office. Nervously I said “Sure,” having no clue as to what they would have wanted. 
“Hey, Caroline! Do you remember me? I took your picture yesterday, I'm the photographer!”
“Hi.. whats up?” I said nervously.
“Your picture kind of came out blurry, do you wanna come retake it with me?”
“I guess,” I said.
She took me back in the cafe where we did picture last time, as she was setting up she kept asking me questions again.
“So.. do you like your parents?
I thought to myself, what kind of question is that. “Ah, yah, I do.”
“Cool!” she said.
She took my picture and I went back to class, as I walked through the doors of the cafe I turned around to see the lady still looking at me. I turned around and walked faster. As lunch finally approached I sat in the usually seat that I do with my usually friends.
“So why did you get called out of first block?”
“The weird picture lady had to retake my picture or something, I dont know, shes weird.” We all shrugged and blew it off.
As the end of the day I walked outside of school.
“Wait, Caroline!’” Samantha said.
“Whats up?”
“Walk home with me.”
“I can't! You know my mom never lets me walk home. She's picking me up anyways, she just gonna be a little late.”
“Stop being a baby, let's go.”
I followed Samantha on our short walk home. Twenty minutes into our walk we came across Samantha's street.
“Do you think you'll be able to make it the rest of the way home?” Samantha said jokingly.
”Shut up! I'll be fine!” I laughed and proceeded to walk. About half a mile up the road from Samantha's street I noticed a car out of the corner of my eye going slow behind me, I got kinda scared so I started walking faster, but then the car started speeding up even more. I stopped walking and turned around to see the photographer again, “This is a little creepy,” I whispered to myself.”
“Hi..” I said to her.
“Hey! I live in this direction too I was just driving back from the school! You want a ride home?”
“Ah, I'm good, I only live another block up.”
“It's cold, come on, just get in the car. I’ll give you a ride.”
“Okay,” I stuttered. I got in the car, already kinda regretting it. We sped up
“This is my street right here,” I said. She passed it, though. “You missed it,” I said, but she ignored me.
“Where are you going.” No response again. I stayed quiet and started to become scared. Twenty minutes later we arrived at a house.
“Whose house is this?” No response again.
“You don't remember this house? This is the house you grew up in.”
“No, it didn't. I grew up with my parents in our house.”
“That's what you think. They brainwashed you Carline, dont you know this! Look at the pictures of you, this is you and me on your first birthday, look how happy you were.”
I went along with it hoping that if I kept agreeing with her, eventually she would let me go.
“Look, come with me.” She took my arm and rushed me into a small pink bedroom, handing me a stuffed bunny.
“Do you remember this bunny? It was your favorite toy when you were little, you wouldn't go anywhere without it.” That's when it will came back to me.
“So, are you like, my mom?”
“You went missing when you were four, you were on the carousel,” She showed me the picture.
“I've seen this picture. This was the picture under the bed, I went in my mom's room to find a sweater and under the bed I found a box of ‘missing’ papers, am I the one that was missing, are you the women who I wa taken from?”
“Yes Caroline, I’m your mother, “'ve always been your mother, and I’ll always be your mother.”
“Do you have a bathroom I can use, I feel dizzy. I think I need to splash water on my face.”
“Of course ya, right through there,” she said, pointing out of my bedroom. I took out my phone and called my supposid mom for the past thirteen years of my life. After two rings there was an answer.
“CAROLINE, where are you!”
“You're not my mom.. Ad I know you're not my mom,  never wanna hear from you again, I want you to turn yourself in. Goodbye.