Good Times or Not | Teen Ink

Good Times or Not

By SheySheyJones, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
SheySheyJones, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

My hands were shaking, palms were sweating. Sweat was dripping off my face onto my shirt. I could barely concentrate; my eyes were blinking so fast. You know how an eyelash fall into your eye and you begin blinking so fast because you think it might help fall out until you realize it’s really not then you use your hands. I could feel them all looking at me even though I had not entered the room. It was the day they were going to know who I am. As I reached out for the door knob, I took a deep breath and turned the knob to open the door. All this cold air firm the air conditioner hit me like a slap to the face. I began walking towards the middle of the room while quick glancing over at my teacher, who was just smiling and nodding her head. A smile that could creep you out or even ruin your day. She had the joker smile, you know the guy from Batman. It was a smile so wide and open and it didn't help that she always wore red lipstick. She walked over to me and put her hand on my shoulder. I guess she knew I was nervous by the way my shoulder was going up and down so fast. I felt like my bones were going to jump out of my skin. If this was a war, I think I would have lost by now and not to anyone but my myself, my fears. She handed me my papers and whispered to me, let’s begin. Everyone went silent and eyes were on me. “So little time.”
It was Wednesday afternoon around sunset. She was sitting on the bed, just thinking. Silence was all the over. The room was so quiet that you could hear the birds singing outside. So beautiful, so calm, so sweet, it was like a lullaby, she thought. There was so much on her mind but just so little time. Tears were running down her face messing up her makeup that took her an hour to do in the morning. She kicked off her shoes and they hit the floor so hard that the dog next door began barking. “Oh shut up,” she yelled as if the dog could hear her. ‘Where is that dumb dog owner’, she thought while taking her hair out a bun. Long, beautiful dreads that changed colors almost month, from red, blue, brown, pink and now a golden blonde. Her feet were killing her as she tip-toed all the way to the mirror. She wasn’t even going to dare to step on her heel, for there was way too much pain. Every Time her heel touched the floor, it was another swears from her mouth. “Bleep, bleep, bleep.” There was so much anger in a little body. Well, not really. She was skinny as a stick, never to gain weight. She was tall like she could reach the sky or maybe even touch the clouds but that might be over exaggerating things. She’s tall but not that tall kind of like a stop sign. She was in her mid-50s but she look like she was in her early 30s. She sat down in front of the mirror just staring motionless at herself. The way she was looking, the way she was acting, head titled, mouth open, eyes wide open, she seemed like she could star in a horror movie.
“Fire me, fire me. Out of all people they fire me. I wake up 4 in the morning every day to work my butt off for them and they fire me.” She reached out for her brown lipstick. Her hand was shaking like she was possessed. She wiped off her running makeup with her hands and the red lipstick to put the brown one on. “Is it a problem with the way I look? Is it my age?” Maybe she got fired because her effort, but she was always there on time with a smile on her face. Maybe it was because her boss is always interviewing new younger people. Or maybe, just maybe because she’s crazy from the start and there was never a job. Patient 269, what they call her. Amnesia, Delusional, and Personality disorder. A nut house, a weirdo, a crack head (even though she had never done a drug a day in her life.) She had never had a job; she’s too crazy they all say. Every morning she would wake and take a cold shower, she said that helped her think. She spends over an hour with her makeup to make it good, no, to make it perfect. She always makes sure she would wear her lucky red pumps that her daughter gave her. It was the last thing her daughter have her before she moved to Texas.
Four out of nine kids she only talked too. Two out of four that loved her but only one that visited her. She would tie her hair up into a bun. She would always want to show off her little ears. She used to believe that little ears would give you the best of luck, no one know how but her. It was her secret. She would leave the house around 6 to catch the bus to go to an abandoned building. It wasn’t just any abandoned building; it was the only building she could remember from her childhood. She never knew why that building was that important but she would pass all the yellow danger tape, ignore the fact that the building looked like it was going to fall, and the windows were covered by wood like an evicted house, just to go to the top floor to watch the sunrise. She would be there from 7a.m to 6p.m. Every day it was the same routine, sometimes she would stay there longer. She was never lonely though; there was always some type of animal with her. Rats, mice, cats, dogs. She was so crazy that some days she would believe that the dogs and the cats were her co-workers and the rats were her bosses. You remember when I said maybe she got fired because her boss was always interviewing new younger people; well those people were the mice. ‘Beep-beep, Beep-beep’. It was the alarm from her watch to remind her to take her medicine.

“I don’t need this medicine. I’m not crazy. I mean one day without them wouldn’t be bad.” She tip-toed over to the dresser and grabbed her medicine. She poured 4 pills into her hand. “I’m not crazy, I don’t need this. I’ll show them, they’ll all see.” She threw the pills in the trash. Family legend is that when she was 12 that’s when it all began. It was the year of 1974, when she broke up her boyfriend, her first love. He cheated on her with two girls, one she could not stand since 1st grade and the other was her best friend that she grew up with. Right after they broke up, he quickly started going out the one she didn’t like, the evil one. The evil one use to torture her every day, cut her hair in class, super glued her to a seat, put bugs in her food. One time at lunch she bit into her sandwich and a roach was in her mouth. That bite had changed everything. ‘Beep-beep, Beep- beep.’ Therapy every day. ‘Beep- beep, Beep-beep.’ All her friends went away. ‘Beep- beep, Beep-beep.’ The alarm just kept going off. She was getting so angry she decided to walk back over to the mirror and punch it. The mirror shattered everywhere and pierced into her skin. There was so much blood. At first she was just standing there, ignoring the pain, just looking at the blood drip. It wasn’t just her hands bleeding, her feet was too. But yet she still didn’t show signs of hurt or weakness. It took her about 10-15 minutes to finally start reacting but she still didn’t say anything. She ran so fast to the bathroom like she was being chased. Her hair was switching from left to right, blood falling on her white carpet. It was making another stain onto the carpet that was going to stay there because she wasn’t going to clean it up. She turned on all the water, the sink and the shower. She went into the medicine cabinet and grab the tweezers. She knew what exactly what to do since this wasn’t her first time. Her arms and legs were filled with scars from what she called ‘accidents.’ Many people believe that she’s suicidal but she claims there just accidents.
She took the glass that was stuck in her skin out with the tweezers, and then washed the scars out with cool water, she grabbed a washcloth and put soap on it and washed the skin around the area, then she grabbed a cotton ball and put peroxide on it and rubs it on the cuts. The cuts began stinging so bad she started whimpering like a dog. “Ouch!’ She shouted. She looked over at the clock that was hanging above the door and seen the time. “My daughter, my grandbabies, their own their way here. She quickly bandage her cuts and went to her room to change her clothes. It took her a while but she decided to wear a pink Adidas tracksuit and on her feet, her slippers that looked like sneakers. Slipper sneakers I guess you could call it. After getting dress, she walked downstairs into the living room and turned on the T.V. She didn’t even have to change the channel or anything, her shows were already on, ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.’ She would always watch it till her daughter come. An hour passed by and the front door finally opened. “Mom?” The door began to open more slowly. “Ah, Tracy, no Olivia, no Spring, wait its Jessica.” She couldn’t remember her own daughter name. Some days it would be irk her but she has to remember that her mother is sick. “Mom, we go through this every day. It’s Stefanie.” No matter how many times you told her it was not going to stick in her head. The possibility of her daughter name sticking in her head was like the possibility of a glue stick making something stick forever. She got up from the couch and started looking around. “Where are the babies?” “Mom, their barely babies anymore. Their almost 10 and there in the car. Everyday her daughter would come to pick her up to drive her to the mental hospital for therapy.
She walked over to the chair near the door and grabbed out for her purse. “What happened,” her daughter said grabbing her arm. Nothing, it was an accident.” She let go her hand so fast and ran upstairs going to her bedroom. While passing the bathroom she quick glanced in. There was still blood all over and there was always still that blood stain on the floor. “Sweetie, come down here, we really should be going.” She ran upstairs so fast trying to prevent her daughter from going in her room but it was too late, she was already in. “Mom, could you be any more stupid? How many accidents do you need till your dead. The way you're so careless, it wouldn’t be a shock if you're not alive by next week. At least tell me you took your pills.” The room got silent, those birds were still singing outside. Her daughter looked around the room and walked over near the trashed and poured everything out. The 4 pills fell out and she bend down and grabbed for them. “Mom, you’re a grown women. I shouldn’t have to take care of you like you’re my own child.” Just then her mother began screaming. She was screaming like someone was about to harm her. Then just like that she started crying. “Why would you hit me? What did I do to you?” She just kept screaming, then she just stopped, then she stopped. “Excuse me but do I know you? Where am I?” Her memory was gone, but from what from her daughter yelling at her? She began walking near the broken glass. She reached down for a piece of the glass and started flinging it around like she was ready to attack. “Mom, mom! You need help. You need to take your medicine.” “Mom, I’m not your mother. I have no kids, why are you in my house?” She began screaming again but this time she ran downstairs and out the house. “Mom!” Her daughter yelled while chasing after her. While chasing her mom she passed the car the kids were in. “Mom, what’s going on. What’s wrong with grandma?” One of the kids got out the car and began running after them.
Just then cars started screeching and honking their horns. There was a big boom, people began screaming and crying, flames went up into the air. Smoke was everywhere. “Mom, mom, where are you?” There was no response to the question but there were a lot of chattering. People were gathered all over. Some people were on their phone recording while others were talking on the phones. “Hello 911. There was a horrible accident. Some lady ran into the street and there’s a major car accident. Help, we need help.” Then people started arguing. “Mom, mom where are you?” A little came, it was her kid. She grabbed her child hand and they began struggling to walk towards the scene. Cops came rushing in. Just then the daughter felled to her knee and started crying. There were bodies everywhere, some were dead and some still alive but she still didn’t see her mother. There were blood and car parts everywhere. Then the other kids came up. “Mom, where’s grandma?”