ANTIHERO | Teen Ink

ANTIHERO

By danhger, Beaverton, Oregon
danhger, Beaverton, Oregon

Author's note: I hope people can picture themselves in Reed's shoes because he is supposed to represent us, the flawed people, forced into a world of heroic archetypes. Feel free to comment, criticize, or just enjoy the story.

Feel free to comment or criticize I hope you'll be able to relate w/ Reed Curtis. After all, we're all antiheroes

Dear Reader,
My name is Reed Curtis and I have a valuable lesson for you: when life gives you adventure, haul your butt back to wherever it came from as fast as you can. Because the chances of it ever coming back are slim. That’s what I learned the hard way. You see, I am not who you think I am. What you think I am. I am not the super special dude with a prophecy and a mysterious past you always hear about. In fact, I am not a super special anything. I am just a normal fifteen year-old from Seattle that life loves to pick on. Welcome to my crazy, twisted life.

Chapter 1

I broke into a mischievous smile as soon as the P.E. teacher, Mr. Wallus, closed the locker room door behind him. I signaled to Max that the coast was clear, and he tossed the canister to me, which I grabbed with lightning speed. Quickly, I ran over to locker 56 and undid the lock using the combination Cody had given me. In a minute, I had opened the locker and switched the canisters out successfully. Once I clasped the lock back on, I retreated to my eager classmates and casually pulled off my running shoes.

We waited for two more minutes until Big Mike finally stepped out from the showers. The whole gym class was silent as they listened to his footsteps heading for the lockers. I looked up at Max, who had turned red from trying to hold in his laughter, and warned him to not screw up. Big Mike was now twisting the lock. Twelve, twenty-five, three. I heard Mike pulling out the canister and pressing on the lever. This is going to be great, I said to myself.

Splooooooosh. The class and I began to lose our straight faces and started chuckling softly. Then it happened.

“Who put whip cream in my deodorant?” Big Mike’s voice boomed from the back of the room.

The whole locker room instantly fell apart. The hysteric laughing coming from the class was so loud that I almost thought that I was at a football game. It got worse when Big Mike stepped out from the lockers with what looked like a giant cotton ball under one armpit. His face was redder than his hair, and he glared at me through his two-inch thick glasses.

“You found it! Great job big guy!” I exclaimed dramatically, pointing at the canister he was squeezing tightly. “Guess I’ll have my banana split after all.”

Big Mike angrily threw the canister on the ground and stood up straight. The class held in their laughter once more to brace themselves for the juiciest part: Big Mike’s Famous Rant of Sheer Terror.

“You may think you’re the most hilarious person at Giddeon High. You may think that giving me crap every P.E. class will boost you up. You may think that I’m a nerdy loser with zero power. Well that’s where you’re wrong. All of the teachers and parents are on my side, and if I tell them to give you, oh let’s say about a whole semester of detention, they will only make sure your punishment is worse. Today, you have pulled your last straw, Curtis. Today, you will pay for your terrible choices. Today…”

“You will be wishing that there’s a tomorrow,” I groaned. A few chuckles came from behind me, and I began regretting what I had said.

“Shut up!” Big Mike yelled at the crowd. “You will change, Curtis. Something unexpected will happen soon, and the only person people will be laughing at by then is you.”

For once, I couldn’t work up anything smart to say back. Pleased with himself, Big Mike ran out of the locker room to tattle to Mr. Wallus. I was sure Mr. Wallus hadn’t forgotten the time I dipped the mouthpiece of his whistle in soy sauce, so I didn’t expect the greatest support.

A few hours later, Mom came to pick me up from detention. That was when something unexpected happened.

“So…what is it?” I asked Mom after ten minutes of uncomfortable silence. “Let me guess. A month of grounding, cut off my allowance, never seeing daylight again-“

“Maybe all of those,” Mom responded while still not looking at me.

I sighed and stared through the window. Real genius, Reed. Sensational performance. The car suddenly stopped, and my head was knocked into the sun visor. When I opened my eyes again, we were in a restaurant’s parking lot jammed with cars.

“Come on,” Mom flung her door open and gestured to follow her. Maybe she wasn’t as mad as I had thought. I peeked through the window and saw a brick building with a giant neon sign flashing FIREBREATH DINER.
“It must be a trick,” I told myself. I trailed behind Mom into the restaurant, preparing myself for the worst.

Going inside the restaurant was about as comfortable as dunking yourself in a boiling hot cauldron. A blast of steam enveloped my body and stung my eyes as soon as Mom opened the door for me. The smells of freshly-baked pizza and babyback ribs clogged my nose, but I was far from bothered. I had never smelled this much excellent food for what felt like my entire life. Strangely though, the restaurant seemed familiar.

“How you doing, Sport?” Dad asked at table twenty-one. It was strange seeing him in normal clothes, much less seeing him at all. Dad worked for Kemlin Inc., a publishing company that always had conferences on some tropical resort. As for Mom, she just stayed home, but was looking for a job.

“Pretty good, I guess,” I said as I high-fived him. To keep it safe with Mom, I told him about how I had to serve detention after school.

“Again?” he snorted. “Jeez, the faster you get to Halo, the better.”

“Halo wha?” I questioned.

I heard Mom’s heel kick him under the table, and Dad changed the subject.

“N-nothing,” he clearly lied. “Hey, did your mom tell you about her new job?”

“You got a job?” I turned to her.

Mom nodded proudly. “Your dad is smarter than he looks. He convinced Kemlin to make me his business partner.”

“That’s why we’re here, to celebrate Mom’s job?” I laughed. “I thought you guys were gonna make me swallow lava tomato sauce or something.”

We all laughed, and it almost filled the entire restaurant. As Mom began another of her drunk neighbor stories, my eyes were glued on the gargantuan pizza heading our way. The three skinny waiters carrying it were obviously in pain, because they barked at everyone to get out of the way, as if it was a military operation. A muscular waiter carried three glasses of Coke behind them, whistling like nothing happened in front of him.

“What’s this?” Mom laughed as the waiters dumped the pizza onto our table. She slowly picked up a slice, cheese stretching out from the tip. “Italian Pepperoni with olive oil crust? You remembered!”

“Of course,” Dad smiled as he bit into the crust.

With my mouth watering, I munched down on the slice in my hand. Not to brag, but it was the best pizza humanly possible. The cheese was stretchy and soft, and the pepperoni was smoky with a spicy finish. I usually hate olive oil, but the crust tasted like perfection. I was already through a third of the pizza when Mom spoke.

“Reed, this is the first restaurant we took you to after you were born. This was the first pizza you had.” My mind was too distracted on pizza, so I just nodded.
Mom leaned closer to me.
“But that’s not the reason we’re here,” Mom said in a more serious tone. She finally gained my attention, and I slowly looked up at her eyes.

Then it was Dad’s turn to speak.
“It was about time that we told you something we should have told you…er…a pretty long time ago.”

“I’m going to a farm,” I concluded. “You’re super sick of me and want me out. I promise I’ll be better!”

Dad grinned. “I knew you would make the right choice. Except you’re not going to a farm!”

“Wait…where am I going?”

Mom reached into her purse and pulled out a kayaking class brochure. Yes!

“Wait…this isn’t it,” she muttered. For a few minutes, she emptied out every card, keychain, and wallet from her purse in front of the customers and workers.

“Where did I…here it is!” Mom took out a pamphlet from a folded white envelope. She passed it to me, and I became terrified from the first thing I read.

“Halo Academy?” I blurted. “Why in the world would you want to send me to a…“a globally aware school dedicated to the respect and care of innocent life”?” I recited. It made me want to vomit my entire dinner right there.

“I’m sorry Reed, but we already enrolled you,” Dad replied.

Time suddenly stopped. “What?”

“Your dad and I have a meeting in Maui tomorrow. We’ll be gone for a week,” Mom explained.

“Okay, but how does that relate to me being transferred to a stupid mushy school?” I demanded. Frustrated, Mom shook her head.

“You really think we’re dumb enough to let you stay at the house all by yourself? You’re staying at Halo Academy. Period,” she responded.

“I can stay at Cody’s or Max’s house,” I suggested.

“And that’s another thing. Giddeon is not good for you, Reed. It has changed you from a baby with great expectations into…into this.” She pointed at me.

“A straight D-minus obnoxious, shameful kid with no future,” Mom exclaimed. “That is what the principal calls you, Reed.”

Ouch. I went silent and sipped my cola.

“He said that Halo was the only way you could change. He went there when he was young. And who just promised us that they would be better a few minutes ago?”

I sighed with hopelessness.
“Maybe it’s not as bad as I think,” I said. “Only for a week, right?” Both of my parents beamed, and it only made me regret my decision.
Dad wiped his mouth and raised his Coke cheerfully.
“To the rebirth of Reed Curtis,” he announced.
“To the rebirth of Reed Curtis,” Mom joined.
“To the death of me,” I mumbled.
We clinked our glasses together, and finished the rest of the pizza. I was unable to taste any of it.

That night, while Mom and Dad packed their suitcases for Maui, I was busy calling my friends about my temporary transfer to Halo. Max cautioned me that he had seen the headmaster there whipping a student for not recycling. Cody only made my day worse by saying that the “dorms” were actually animal barns. Both Jake and Willis warned me that I might come back to Giddeon naked with only a friendship necklace, and I won’t even realize it. One thing was for sure: all of them sounded relieved that they didn’t have to suffer like me.
After that, I tore the brochure into pieces and flushed them down the toilet.
“I’m screwed,” I said as I got on the bed. Gloomily, I turned off the lamp and closed my eyes, wishing it was all a dream.

With my parents’ bags and my backpack in the back of our Suburban, we headed off to Halo. The whole ride felt like a walk to execution, and I sullenly watched Downtown Seattle pass by.
Halo Academy was located in the oldest section of Seattle, so I wasn’t surprised that there were zero max trains or cars when we got there. The bumpy streets were covered in potholes, and there were probably more FOR LEASE signs than people, if any chose to live in the miserable town.
“We’re here kiddo,” Dad said as he applied the brakes.
Mom and I stepped out of the car, and gazed at the school. Halo Academy sat underneath a busy road, and a cloud of dust and fog created a thick atmosphere. The school was painted like a globe, with bland blues and greens. The windows were grimy and cracks infested the walls. As if that wasn’t enough, graffiti stained the sign, which was crumbling away. Looking at Halo, I actually began to feel pity towards my principal, which was serious.
“It looks like a dump!” I exclaimed. “Even the ad looks better!”
“It’ll look better once you go inside,” Dad promised, but I detected a hint of doubt in his voice.
“Just give it a chance,” Mom assured. “Maybe you’ll even wish to transfer here once you’re used to it.”
“Fat chance,” I muttered as I walked away from the car.
“Wait!” Mom shouted. “Remember, I will always love you, Reed!”
“We will always love you,” Dad corrected. “We’re not sending you here to torture you. It’s so you can make us proud. And you will!”
“Good-bye!” I shouted sourly.
“See you next week!” they exclaimed as I watched the Suburban drive away. I waved back and slung my backpack over my shoulder. Hesitantly, I grasped the front door’s handle and pulled.
“Welcome hero,” a voice spoke in my head.

I barely had time to think about the voice, because I was greeted by a blinding gold light. My eyes turned into lava when I attempted to open them, so I shut them as hard as they could go. A gust of wind collided into my face, and I felt the ground soften. The sounds of laughter and roaring finally awoke my senses, and I woke up from what felt like eternal naptime.
I realized that the light I saw was actually the blazing sun, radiating the endless grassy field I stood on. A small group of students sat a few yards from me, being lectured by an elaborate swordsman. I heard the sounds of arrows being shot in the nearby woods, which were populated with redwoods that touched the sky. I managed to catch a glimpse of a group of warriors fighting a fire-breathing dragon in the redwoods, but then became distracted by a professor teaching how to lift water at my right.
“Holy crap,” I said to myself.
“Holy crap indeed, Reed Curtis,” a velvety voice said, not the same one I heard before.
I wheeled my head towards the voice and saw an old man. He had a white beard that stretched over his chest and a bald head. He wore a deep purple cloak with a gold sash, and it held a scabbard with a magnificent sword in it. The man had an eye patch made of silver, but I found his other eye more intimidating. Imagine every color in the world, mixed up into a single shade. His eyes were that color.
“Are you alright?” the man asked me. “Did I forget to put out the fire on my beard?”
I shook my head. “Is this really…Halo Academy?”
I regretted asking such a dumb question, but the man let out the heartiest of laughs, and it automatically calmed me down.
“You’re the smartest transfer I know. They usually ask me if I’m Sir Ian McKellen, whoever he is. But yes, this is the real Halo Academy.”
I squinted. “Are you Ian McKellen?”
Once again, the man cracked up, and it was like music to my ears.
“I am already looking forward to your week here. My name is Egarok, and I am the headmaster of Halo.”
“Reed Curtis,” I answered, completely forgetting that he already knew my name.
However, Egarok made no effort to mention my mistake and replied, “Nice to meet you, Reed Curtis. My name is Egarok.”
I grinned and noticed a boy my age running up to us. His messy black hair swayed in the wind, and he had an athletic build. Apparently, he just had a big battle, because his shield had some fresh burns and the sword on his side hissed with smoke. When he was just a few feet away, I saw that he had bright green eyes and was an inch shorter than me.
“This young lad is Jaren Summons,” Egarok pointed at the boy. “He volunteered to share his dorm with you.”
“How’s it goin’ Reed? You like Halo so far?” Jaren asked me, nodding at the woods. I expected him to have a serious attitude, but he seemed alright.
“It’s pretty cool,” I answered. “Thanks for sharing your dorm.”
“No prob, dude.”
“Jaren,” Egarok interrupted. “Can you lead Reed to the cabins? It’s a miracle he can stand straight with that backpack.”
“Sure,” Jaren said. He turned towards me. “Might as well give you a tour while we’re at it.”
We both said good-bye to Egarok, and headed forward.

Jaren wasn’t kidding about a tour. During the next five minutes, he chatted nonstop about the activities, battles, conditions of the restrooms, best armors against a monster, worst armors against a monster, girls, etc.
“So…what school did you come from?” I questioned Jaren as he showed off a squirrel that ate arrows (a Tunsic, I think). At first, he was surprised at my question, but he answered quickly.
“Me? Never went to school,” Jaren said. “Wasn’t allowed to.”
“How? I mean, why?”
Jaren’s green eyes stared into mine. “It’s a long story.”
“Well, it’s probably more interesting than mine.”
Jaren paused for a minute, and I hoped that it wasn’t because he had forgotten to tell which armor was best against girls.
“Give yours a go. Then I’ll tell mine,” he suggested.
I didn’t expect that.
“Er…alright,” I stammered. “Let’s see, I go to Giddeon High School. My mom and dad are chilling in Maui now, for a “work meeting”. We live way up in Downtown. I have a pretty good amount of friends at school. I despise country music and I think Laffy Taffy is pretty genius.”
Jaren chuckled and pulled out his wallet from a secret pocket in his armor. From it, he gave me a photo of a giant white mansion.
“Until I was twelve,” he started as I eyeballed the picture. “I was never able to leave that mansion.”
I guess he saw my confused expression, because he added, “Trust me; you would never want to live in there. My aunt and uncle locked me inside the attic most of the time while I lived there. My cousin sometimes used a meter stick to stab the ceiling while I was sleeping, all night. Whenever they blamed something on me, which they always did, they would shove up their trash into the attic for a few days.”
I felt a drop on the top of my hair. It was sprinkling.
Jaren, however, paid no attention to the weather, and continued.
“They kept the windows barred and the door equipped with an alarm. Three times I tried to escape, and they wouldn’t let me shower or eat for two days. It was torture.”
I glanced back at the picture, and almost wanted to tear it apart into pieces. I imagined Jaren in the attic, all alone.

“Did your parents leave you? I have a friend named Max who has divorced parents.”

Jaren suddenly stopped and looked down, avoiding eye contact.

“I-I’m not sure. Egarok refuses to tell me. All he ever said was that I was born with a prophecy, and that is why they are gone.”

He turned back towards me. “Come to think of it…after he rescued me from the attic, he brought me here to be protected. He knew about my parents, and told me that this year…”

“What?” I questioned.

“…He would reveal those secrets to me,” Jaren finished, looking up at the gray sky.

We walked in silence until we reached the cabins, and I regretted not taking the tour.
Chapter 3

to be continued...

Chapter 3

After what felt like eons of silence, Jaren told me that we were at the cabins, pointing to a tall pole with a shield mounted as a sign. The shield was divided into four sections, each with a painting depicting the traits of a hero. One scene exhibited a hero looking back at his friends and family. The illustration next to it was of the hero walking towards a group of lonely and sad people, and away from the more popular group. Another painting showed the hero staring at the stars, with fire around him. The last scene was the most impressive; it was a picture of the hero running from a light area to a dark area with shadows of monsters and villains.

“Love, compassion, hope, and bravery,” Jaren informed me. “Those are the traits of a hero.”

I nodded at him and went back to admiring the sign. I couldn’t help but think that it was hypnotizing me.

Jaren cleared his throat. “Reed? The cabins.” he reminded me.

“Oh right,” I said, turning away from the shield. I scanned the area, now noticing that we were in the middle of nowhere.

“Er…Jaren? You sure they’re here?”

“No, I guess they took a trip to the Space Needle,” he said sarcastically. He stepped forward and let out a high-pitched whistle.

I could hear loud footsteps thumping towards us. Jaren remained calm while the ground shook, so I stood still and clenched my fists. Just then, some large, giant things materialized through the fog. When they came close enough to see, I almost you-know-what my pants. A cabin made up their bodies, and trees attached to their sides aided in running. One was a log cabin, another was a stone one, and the rest were made of different types of wood. A sprinting stone cabin collapsed in front of Jaren and whimpered down at him.

“Aw, sumwun’s been missing me,” he said as he rubbed the bottom of the cabin’s porch. It whimpered louder and the shades behind its two front windows fell up and down repeatedly.

“Hey, I got a treat for you, big guy. Your favorite.”
The cabin jumped excitedly and a long red rug stuck out of the door. Jaren pulled out a small packet of spicy beef jerky from his pocket, and threw it on the rug. It recoiled back into the house, and threw the packet into the fireplace. Its chimney happily let out a puff of smoke, and the cabin licked Jaren.
“Easy boy,” he chuckled as he brushed a mound of dust bunnies off of his armor. Jaren motioned me to move closer, and I walked up next to him.
“Bert, Reed Curtis. Reed, Bert.” he said. Bert licked me, and I scratched under his porch the same way Jaren did. The chimney let out more puffs of smoke, faster than before.
“Good boy,” I smiled.
“Bert,” Jaren spoke. “May we enter? Reed needs to drop off his bags.”
Bert nodded back, and gently dropped his body to the ground. The other cabins gathered near Bert and followed him. The trees on their sides dug their roots into the ground and straightened back up like normal. Bert’s front door opened wide for us, and a delicious scent came from behind.
“Is…is that hot chocolate?” I asked hopefully.
“C’mon, only one way to find out,” Jaren replied. We walked into the stone cabin, away from the pounding rain.

I thought that Bert’s interior would be all enchanted and fancy, but it looked like any other cabin’s.
“You can just throw your pack right there,” Jaren told me, pointing to a beanbag chair. We were in the living room, which looked pretty neat. A flat-screen TV was positioned in front of a red recliner and a few black beanbags. A piano was near the corner, with a chess table next to it. Taped on the side of the table was a small note that said: BLACK’S TURN NEXT. A bowl of Ruffles was on top of a coffee table next to the recliner, and I snatched a handful.
“Reed, you want something to drink with that?” Jaren reminded, standing at the entrance of the kitchen. With Ruffles in my hand, I went inside and was pleased to see four colorful cups full of hot chocolate on the dining table. I picked up one with monster designs on the side, and I felt something nudge my arm. Jaren was holding a cup that looked like a melting candle, and his arm was extended towards me.
“Cheers,” we said ceremoniously, and took a small sip. The drink warmed my whole body, and the marshmallows tickled my upper lip.
“Man, that’s good,” I exclaimed at Jaren. “What’s in it?”
“Good stuff,” he replied. “It’s Tony’s family recipe. When he comes back, you can ask him.”
Suddenly, the door opened. I heard footsteps walk up the porch and a bag of beef jerky was thrown into the fire.
“Thanks, Bert,” a girl’s voice said. A heavy bag was dropped onto the floor, and we heard her footsteps heading towards the kitchen.
When she stepped inside, I almost spat out the marshmallows in my mouth. The girl was about my age, and she was about half an inch shorter than Jaren. Her dark blond hair was pulled into a ponytail, and she had a light tan. She had a runner’s body, and wore a small white hoodie with gray stripes. Her laced tan boots covered the cuffs of her black jeans. The girl’s hazel-colored eyes trained on me, and I bit my lip nervously.

“Hey,” she smiled slightly. “I’m Brooke. Brooke Mason.”

“Reed Curtis,” I said.

“Have you met Jaren?” she asked, more excitedly.

“How else could I get in here?”

“He’s here?”

She walked past me without an answer and came to the table, where Jaren was sitting.

“What are you doing here?” she playfully shouted at Jaren, putting her hands on her hips.

Jaren wiped off his chocolate mustache. “Chillin’. I’m so glad I don’t have Anton for Spells.”

“Shut up!” Brooke laughed. “Today he just taught us the Invisible Locker Spell. Most useless thing since daylight savings.”

“Or ROTFL.”

“Look, I never really thought about its meaning that much. You just have a dirty mind!”

While they chatted, I quietly slipped out onto the porch and admired the view outside. The cabins were sitting on a grassy pasture next to a waterfall. The sun was up, so a beautiful rainbow formed beneath the falls. I leaned over the railing and looked down the rocky cliff. A forest of tropical trees was at the bottom, and a swarm of colorful fish erupted from the depths. They puffed their bodies into spiky balls and rose up into the air like balloons. A small one hovered up to the railing and eyed me curiously. I stroked its scaly skin and it inflated like a bubble, spinning around as it drifted away. My eyes were glued onto the fish until it became a dot.

A shot was fired behind me, and I saw one of the fish deflate into the tree leaves. Two more booms were heard right after, and a pair of fish crashed to the forest bed.

“Yeah! Get some!” a hoarse voice barked from behind. I wheeled my body around and witnessed possibly the world’s biggest jerk. The boy wore a black leather jacket and dark grey jeans. Flames covered the jacket’s body and sleeves, but it wasn’t being damaged. His light blond hair was spiky like Jaren’s except I could tell he used gel on it. A short gold necklace swung back and forth on his neck.

Unfortunately, the boy caught me staring and tucked his silver pistol in his pocket. He slowly strode over to the porch, his thumbs jutting out of his jeans. It was obvious he was trying to intimidate me, but I couldn’t help but chuckle.

“What’s so funny?” he sneered. He tried to lean against the railing coolly, but ended up slamming his body hard on.

“You already know,” I said back matter-of-factly.

He noticed that he was an inch taller than me, and lifted me by the collar. His blue eyes turned black, and the flames of his jacket tensed.

“Listen, smart mouth,” he threatened. “I can cream you any time I want.”

“Why don’t you brush your teeth while you’re at it?” I gasped.