A Hero's Rain | Teen Ink

A Hero's Rain

By Zelous-Arrow-Shade, bountiful, Utah
Zelous-Arrow-Shade, Bountiful, Utah

"life is not how you survive the storm, it is how you dance in the rain" - not sure who wrote it.

prologue

“lets take them both and be done with it, John” said the skinny old man in the room, a man at least sixty years old. to tell the truth John, who was the only other person in the room, did not know how old the man was. John was thirty five years old and he had met the old man only ten years ago when he was promoted to his current position. “what are you waiting for” the old man said appearing confused as he pointed to the two young male babies on the table in front of us both, the reason we where here. “things like this can’t be rushed my friend” John said to the old man “a decision like this must be decided very carefully” “what is there to decide” the old man replied “you are going to take them both aren’t you” with that John leaned closer to the table and took a deep breath. “taking both children would complicate to much General Hencork” John said to the old man as he stared at the two baby children sleeping in front of him “the mother will not suspect one child missing with herself all drugged up and the staff paid off but surely she will know if we take both of the babies, the agency is good at covering things up as we both know but sometimes its better not to tempt fate” with that General Hencork gave a grunt and made some angry mutters but did not say another word on taking both children. “my purpose here is not to steal children away” John thought to himself “its to find the best and brightest, its to find the perfect subject for my experiment that the president finally okay-ed me for, the Brave Solder project” with that John returned to staring at the two babies in front of him, the two twin babies. too most people the two babies would appear the same for they where identical but to John they where completely different, in one child John saw a great future, the boy would do as he was told and he would be perfect for the experiment. in the other boy John saw something more, he did not see perfection nor qualities that would serve his purpose but he did see something that the other child did not have, a inner will. most people would think John crazy for saying he sees a great will with in a new born baby but John had never cared what others thought, “this one” John said as he pointed at the young child with a inner will “this is the one we shall take” with that John backed away from the table and started to walk away. “i will add him to the other selected individuals” the old man said as he moved to pick up the child John had pointed too “with this boy it makes three patients for the experiment, how many children will we take for this project John” “where not taking any more” John replied “i have found what i was looking for, if the others fail the project than this child will succeed, he will succeed”.

chapter one
Axe breathed and pressed his back to the wall as he hid from the guards patrolling the building, Axe was dressed in a black body suit for camouflage, so it was rather easy to hide in the ten story building all dark with nights shadows, not that Axe needed the suit to hide him. Axe had been trained to appear invisible in a huge parking lot with thousands of people all looking at him, staying out of site in a dark shadowy building was easier than breathing. with that thought Axe stopped himself from breathing as one of the guards patrolling the hall came close to his spot, the man would have seen him if the light around faded before it reached Axe’s spot. the guard paused as he stood right in front of Axe, the guard seemed like he thought someone was near by. with a nervous face, the guard gripped the rifle in his hand harder and he leaned closer to Axe. Axe was not discovered yet but he had learned long ago that it was better to revile your self before all eyes are upon you. as he still held his breath with in, Axe quickly stepped from the shadows safety and crashed his fist in the guards throat, a perfect spot to hit if you don’t want your enemy to scream out in pain. right after the first attack, Axe gave no pause as he took hold of the guard and threw him against the wall of the hall. with that the guard fail unconscious, after that Axe leaned over to a near by window to see if any one out side had heard his little fight. seeing that his cover was not yet blown, Axe turned around and proceeded through the building to complete his mission. his mission was to steal intelligence on some top secret information from some international terrorists, Axe was deep in Germany in the terrorists main hold, a lot of people thought it impossible to get into there home like this without dying or starting a war but Axe was very good at accomplishing the impossible. Axe ran through the halls of the building with great speed, it was very easy for Axe to navigate the building for he had studied the blueprints many times. Axe ran with speed and silence down a hall to the room at the end, the room with the information he needed. right as Axe opened the door he raised his left hand, which was holding his gun, and shot without seeing where he was shooting. the gun had a suppressor on its head so the shot Axe fired was very silent and produced almost no sound at all. a second after Axe fired the shot, a body fail down in the room, it was a guard. Axe rushed into the room trying to ignore the dead guard and he went straight to the computer. Axe knew that the computer had high level encryption security and would take a hacker days to brake its security walls but he did not care, Axe had over come much harder security with much less time before and he could do it again. as Axe worked his skills on the computer, he listened for any approaching foot steps. it was interesting to him that he no longer needed to remember to listen for danger, it had become a secondary thing to him, like breathing. listening is how he knew that a guard was in here and by listening even harder he knew exactly where he was in the room. with in seconds, Axe over came the computers security with a few different hacking tricks he learned a while back. with the security down, Axe quickly located the information he was looking for and started to download it into a portable USB device, Axe did not even look at the information he was downloading. it was not in his orders to know what he was downloading, if who sent him wanted him to know what was in this computer than they would have told him to look at it. once the information was completely downloaded, Axe safely hid the Usb in his left shoe and moved to leave the room, his mission was done. with a seconds pause at the door to check if anyone was out there, Axe silently opened the door and left the room. now back in the shadowy hall, Axe put away his pistol and grabbed a handful of little balls in his left pocket as he swiftly walked through the hall. the balls where the size of marbles and had the same texture but they where nothing of the sort. As Axe ran, he dropped a little marble on to the floor every twenty steps. nearing the stairs of the building, two man walked out of a near by room, Axe had not heard them and apparently due to there surprised expressions, they did not know he was here either. in the moment of surprise, Axe quickly punched the first man in the chest and ducked the other mans attack with the hilt of his rifle. Axe would have used his pistol to kill the two guards but they where too close and in truth Axe did not need a weapon to kill people, his body was a weapon. after ducking, Axe slipped out a small dagger that was hidden in the sleeve of his arm and he sunk it into one of the guards necks. with one of the guards dead, the other guard raised his gun towards Axe to fire. Axe quickly bent down out of fire from the mans rifle and stabbed the mans foot with another dagger, with the dagger firmly stabbed into the mans foot, he screamed out in pain and tried to move away but could not with the dagger nailing him to the ground. in the moment of the guards pain, Axe quickly stood up and punched the guard in the face, knocking the mans rifle in the air. after punching him, Axe caught the rifle and swung it with the hilt heading towards the guards face, the sure force of the impact broke the guards skull. after killing the two guards, Axe proceeded down the near by stairs.

after getting to the bottom floor, Axe stopped at the end of a hall right before the front door. many people with skills like Axe would find a more discrete way out of a place like this but Axe was not like other people, his way of doing things where special. with a slight pause Axe noticed that there where four guards right by the front door and more on the other side, “lets see what they got” Axe thought to himself as he polled out his pistol. while holding his breath, Axe turned the corner of the hall into the room before the front door. right as Axe turned, he raised his gun forward and fired twice killing two of the guards. at this moment the other two guards tried to ready there rifles to fire at Axe but they where too slow, Axe killed them as easily as he killed the other two guards, with two easy shots to the head. “apparently they did not have much” Axe thought to himself as he changed his guns ammo “i suppose i should not have hoped for much though, ain't no marksman better than me or many people who can make four straight consecutive head shots in a row” with that Axe calmed his thoughts to hear if there was any unusual movement outside by the other guards, there was a lot of moment with raised voices and incoming footsteps. judging by the sound outside there where many guards, there would be no way Axe could out shoot them all with out dying himself. with a smile Axe grabbed one of the little marbles he hand in his hand earlier and rolled it towards the door, the marble neared the door right as it started to open. with a relaxed expression, Axe raised his gun forward a little bit and shot the marble right before it hit the door. with the shot a huge explosion erupted and consumed the door in a mass of fire, Axe could hear the guards that where going to open the door screaming out in pain. taking a deep breath, Axe quickly moved through the burning wall of fire with a roll and out side into the cold snow. right as Axe was out of the house, he rolled into a half raised pose and shot two people near to the flames. after shooting the two guards, Axe swiftly moved out into the yard. the yard was at least fifty feet wide with a count of randomly walking guards of thirty two, “luckily there where no guards in the watch towers around the yard” Axe thought “i took care of those fellows earlier” with that thought Axe moved out of the way of incoming bullet fire and tackled another guard to the ground. after tackling the guard to the ground, Axe stood up and grabbed the guard by the throat with his arm, intending to use him for a human shield. “hold your fire” a guard a few feet away said to the other guards gathering around Axe, “let the man go” the same guard said as he still pointed his rifle at Axe, all the other guards still pointed there rifles at Axe. “so much for compassion among fellow guards” Axe thought “if they shot they would kill there friend here”, “if you don’t let him go” the same guard said with a nervous voice “then we will have no choice but to kill you both” with that the guard Axe was holding started to plead for his life. “have anyone of you ever seen what happens when you corner a wild animal” Axe coldly said to the group of guards as he took out a small circular remote. with a slight pause, Axe pushed the little button on the remote. the guards seeing what Axe was going to do moved to start shooting but they where too late, in a huge sound of destruction, the building Axe had just came out of blow up in a rage of fire and flame. the sure force of the explosion sent the guards to the ground, Axe only remained standing because he braced himself for the explosion. “hopefully you will be more careful of the animal you choose to corner” Axe said after he knocked out the man he was holding. before the guards around could get to there feet, Axe took one of the rifles on the ground and prepared to finish his mission, no matter the cost.

chapter two
“you should have sent me” John heard Selsha say to him with a tone of anger that he did not much like. “that is your opinion, Selsha” John replied to the girl “personally i don’t care what you think, you are here to obey, not to think” with that Selsha seemed like she wanted to say more but stilled her self before she did. “at least she still remembers her place” John thought “she has always been like this, ever sense i picked Axe to finish the brave solder training instead of her” “she is a good agent, the second best i have but she is not as good as Axe” she had been chosen for the brave solder project, which is the most extreme project for training solders in the world, when she was six years old. she had showed skills that Axe never did, she even went ahead of him in training because she excepted the training so well. “but i did not pick her” John thought “she may have been better but she was not like Axe, Axe was put into the project right from birth, he knows no other life than this, that gives him something that she will never have, a disconnection from life”. a few seconds of silence past until the door to the room opened to admit a person dressed in black, as he entered Selsha gave a sniff of irritation but did not say a word, this person John knew very well. “i take it you had a successful mission, Axe” John said to the man as he stood up out of his chair, “yes, sir” Axe replied “the mission went just as i wanted it to go, i have retrieved the information you wanted” with that Axe bent down and took a small USB device out of his left shoe, he than handed it to John without saying a word. “good work, Axe” John replied as he examined the USB in his hand “as always you never fail to impress me” with that John examined the USB for a few more seconds and than stuffed it into his right pocket. “go to the safe house in Berlin, Axe” John said “get some rest and follow these instructions for your next mission at precisely twenty hundred hours” John than handed Axe a small sealed envelope “that will give you a good ten hour sleep”, after you complete your next mission i want you to randy view with one of our agents in Washington “yes, sir” was Axe’s only reply. with that Axe gave John a nod of respect and walked out of the room with the sealed envelope in hand. John smiled as he watched Axe go, “he turned out just the way i wanted him to” John thought “a perfect solder, not a flesh and blood person but a solder”. “you would think he would want to know what was on the USB” John heard Selsha say “he did go through all that just to get it after all and did you see how he ignored me, it was like he did not even notice i was here”, “that is how you should be, Selsha” John replied to the woman “only notice what is important and to always be ready for anything, you would do well to be more like Axe” with that John notice Selsha widen her eyes in shock and rage, she seemed like she wanted to say something but she did not. in the past Selsha had killed people just for saying the words that John just said, he knew that she would still kill any one who said those words but she would not kill him or other certain higher ranking people, she at least had enough self control to do that. “its late” John said feeling very tired “i am going to go back to the base and you are going to go to London” john said to Selsha “i have a special mission for you” with that Selsha instantly seemed to be in a better mood. “its about time” Selsha said “i have been going crazy not having anything to do, not having any one to kill” with that she took the envelope John was holding out for her and she opened the near by window. with no regard for John, Selsha jumped out of the window and into the rain. most people would have been concerned at seeing a person jump out of a window like that but John Knew Selsha well, she was very good at scaling buildings and using her acrobatic skills to travel by rooftops. John thought it more of a desperate plead for attention, what other reason could a person have for acting like some kind of night superhero jumping around buildings but who could stop her from doing it. with a sigh John walked out of the room feeling very good about himself, about what he had accomplished with Axe and about what he was going to succeed in with the information Axe had stolen for him. “this is going to change every thing” John said as he fingered the USB in his jacket pocket “its going to change the world”.

chapter three
Axe walked through the rain feeling good, he walked having adjusted his cloths slightly so he would appear like just another common man on the street. Axe loved the rain, it was about the only preference he hand on anything in this world, things just always seemed so much better with rain. as he walked through the ran, Axe noticed some movement on top of the buildings near by. Axe watched as a shadowy figure jumped over to a near by street light from a building and slid down, “you just think your so great” Axe heard Selsha say once she slid all the way down the street poll. “a little desperate for attention are we, Selsha” Axe replied to Selsha “jumping around on rooftops, i believe its very clear which one of us thinks more of themselves” Selsha let a anger mutter come from her mouth with that. “how can you just follow there orders” Selsha said stepping closer to Axe “your like a robot doing what ever they say when ever they say it, look at us Axe where better than they are, they should be following our orders” “where only as good as we are because they trained us that way” Axe replied “i listen to them because its my purpose in life, its what i was born for, what where you born for Selsha” with that Selsha seemed to be a little taken back with that comment. “it looks like i am being sent to London” Axe heard Selsha say trying to change the subject “there is a weapons dealer there that needs killing there” with that Selsha turned around and ran towards a near alley way where she would most likely continue her odd method of traveling. after Selsha was gone, Axe continued his walking. in less than a few minutes, Axe arrived at the safe house John was talking about. a small hotel, Axe had been to many places like this and had discovered these places to be secret staging bases for agents. Axe walked into the hotel and up to the large man at the counter, “nice night” Axe said to the man “a perfect night for fishing it would be, what fish do you fish my good man” with that the man at the counter took one of the many keys off a near by wall and handed it to Axe without a word. Axe took the key and walked up the stairs to room six according to the number on the key, which was a six. Axe always found secret codes and messages to be so odd, the one he just used with the man down stairs at the counter was a code to tell the man that he was a agent and needed a place to stay to night. Axe always remembered all the codes of every safe house, it made his job very easy if he desperately needed a place to stay or to lay low for a while. with in a few seconds, Axe reached his room which was on the third floor and was not very clean, Axe had yet been to a safe house that was not so filthy. once Axe was in his room, he proceeded in safe proof the room with his own kind of security. of coarse these places had security, even if they did not look it, but it was better to be safe than sorry, sorry people always ended up dead. Axe went around the room planting special security items around the room like sensor by the door and single window so if anyone came in he would knew about it, he also stuffed the bed so it looked like some one was sleeping in it, Axe never slept in beds. “that is the place where every first shots when they come in the room” Axe thought “its much safer to sleep where people can’t spot you”. once Axe was done setting up his own security he layed down by the bed and proceeded to go to sleep, sleep came very easy to Axe as it always did, he never understood why similar people with his type of job had trouble sleeping and horrible dreams. Axe had not had a dream for years but when ever he did have one it was always the same one, a dream of light, nothing else but light.

Axe woke up very early the next morning, a few hours before he needed to be out of here. the first thing Axe did was inspect the room again, in the past Axe had paid dearly for a assassin or thief getting into his room while he slept. after he inspected the room and found no one and nothing tampered with, Axe changed into some new cloths that where in the rooms closet, some brown pants and a grey shirt along with a blueish black jacket. before Axe changed into the cloths though, he went into the room bathroom with its old and cracked mirror, Axe inspected some of his wounds from his last mission. usually Axe forgot about such wounds and usually they will get infected if you forget about them. Axe had a few bruises on his body and a few cuts here and there but nothing serious, Axe had not been seriously hurt for many years now. in truth all this very dangerous work bored Axe now, nothing forced him to use his full potential, it was all just so easy now. after Axe was ready he opened the sealed letter John gave him and examined its contents. at first when John saw what was in the letter he felt very confused, there where pictures of him. after a few minutes Axe read in the information in the letter and discovered that the man in the pictures was Jimmy Blake, a senator in Washington causing a lot of political problems, apparently he was slowing down some kind of special project John had going on there. as Axe looked at the information he still felt very shocked, the man looked just like him with dark black hair and a German features, the only differences where Axe was much more fit and the man named jimmy wore glasses. in the information it said that Jimmy was born twenty six years ago on June fifth in 1990, that is when Axe was born too. in reading the information Axe discovered that Jimmy was born with a twin brother, the brother died shortly after birth. Axe had remembered John telling him when he was a kid that they took him from his family, a mother and a twin brother, Axe never thought he would be sent on mission to kill his twin brother like this letter told to do. with a slight moments pause, Axe grabbed his things and quickly took down his security around the room. most people would think Axe crazy for accepting a mission like this but this was his mission, Axe felt a little odd about it but treated it as just another mission that needed doing.

chapter four
Axe waited out side his targets house, it was night and his twin had been home for a good four hours. Axe would have gone in the house right when his target arrived but for some reason he just could not make himself do it, he felt to nervous, another useless emotion. after a few more seconds of waiting, Axe stepped out of the car he was waiting in, which wasn't his, and walked right up to the front door. with a firm knock on the door it opened and Axe saw a surprised women standing in the door way, the women was Jimmy’s wife, Sarah. “Jimmy” the women said looking very confused “didn't you just get home and how did you change your cloths so fast?” with that Axe moved to speak but before he could a man stepped up from behind the women, his brother, Jimmy. “who is at the door Sar...” Jimmy was about to say before he saw Axe, after a surprised pause Jimmy continued his speaking. “this is impossible” Axe heard jimmy say, Sarah remained silent with shock. “may i come in?” Axe asked the two people calmly, they gave a nod to Axe. after Axe stepped in, Jimmy spoke. “my mom told me I had a twin brother when I was born but the doctors told her that he died!”, “apparently not” Axe said to the man. "this is just amazing!" Jimmy continued "after all this time, I never even gave you a second thought, and here you are, standing in my living room." Axe looked at the man, expressionlessly. Axe found his twin to be, in many ways, the same as himself. he knew that they would not be the same, having led different lives but the amount of things Axe could gather from just looking at the man, told that they were very much alike. Jimmy held himself much like Axe, straight back and confident, there mannerisms were similar, they both either held their hands behind there back or at their sides. even Jimmy's expressions were like Axe's, very controlled, it was like looking at your self. “if you would allow” Axe asked feeling like he was talking to himself “I would like to talk with you in private for a few minutes.” Axe gestured to Jimmy's wife, who was still insultingly staring at Axe, hardly a way to treat company. Jimmy made a confused expression but motioned for his wife to leave, which she did after she took one last long look at Axe. “you must agree” jimmy said once his wife was out of the room "that this is amazing, it’s like discovering that you're suddenly rich, only better. tell me, what is your name?”, "we shall get to things like that in a moment." Axe said "but first there is some things i must ask you!" JImmy nodded. "what would you like to know" JImmy said "I am an open book" “you work in the government do you not?” Axe asked Jimmy, “yeah i work in the government!” Jimmy replied seeming a little confused with the question “i am a senator!” with that Axe gave a nod trying to make it seem like he did not know that. “what have you been working on recently?” Axe asked “anything that may cause people in higher government positions to dislike you?”, “what does that have to do with anything right now?” Jimmy asked. “just answer the question, please” Axe replied to the man, Jimmy looked down in thought for a moment then turned back to Axe. “there are a few things that i have been apart of” Jimmy said “a few bills i am trying to stop from becoming laws, some people have been mad about that but that is normal for a senator's life”, “can you think of anything else” Axe replied to Jimmy appearing a little more flustered “anything unusual!” with that Jimmy shook his head no. Axe gave a sigh and reached for his gun, once his gun was firmly in hand he pointed it at Jimmy. “what are you doing!” Jimmy suddenly said nervously making sure that he did not make any sudden moves. Axe stood there trying to make himself pull the trigger, “he won't tell me anything” Axe thought to himself “I have to kill him” with that thought Axe almost pulled the trigger when sounds from outside drew his attention.

knowing that he did not have much time, Axe quickly lunged towards JImmy and tackled him to the ground. a second later, a rain of gunfire coming from outside shot through the living room wall and zoomed over their heads. “keep your head down!” Axe said to Jimmy, earning an uneasy nod. Axe turned around and crawled towards the window, peeking through the half destroyed blinds, AXe saw a site that most angered him. outside, positioned all around, were almost forty agents in black suits, with automatic rifles. “john you piece of trash!” Axe said bitterly, the anger swelling up inside him. “what is it? what is out there?” Axe heard Jimmy say from behind him, Axe had bury noticed he moved. “I’m getting sloppy” Axe thought “got to do better, “I think you better start telling me the truth about what you're involved in!” Axe turned around to saw to JImmy, Jimmy gave a nervous frown. “i am involved in nothing” Jimmy said dismissively “would you please tell me what is going on here, i have a family and.....”, “listen to me” Axe said in a loud voice as he grabbed the neck of Jimmy’s shirt “these people don’t play around, they will kill you, your family and me with no other thought than how to clean up the mess. so you’d better start telling me things or I won't be able to guarantee your safety, nor your families.” JImmy took a long pause to that, to think. before Jimmy could think for too long, Screams started to sound from some of the houses back rooms. “those Punks!” Axe said angrily as he stood up and ran towards the screams. down the hall and past a few doors, Axe found the origin of the screams in a room at the end of the hall. four camouflaged men with guns stood in the room, three of them were holding hostages, one of them was Jimmy’s wife, the two others, his kids. without thinking, Axe rushed into the room, shooting one of the men in the head before they knew he was there. still moving, Axe spinned around and kicked the gun out of the man’s hand who was holding Jimmy’s six year old son, the gun safely hit the wall and let out a burst of gunfire. a burst that hurt no one, but made Jimmy’s wife and kids scream louder. ducking, Axe dodged a flash of bullets let loose from the man Holding Jimmy’s wife. right after that, Axe moved and shot twice, both bullets heading towards different men. a second later, the men holding Axes Children, fell back in pain, AXe had shot both of them in the kneecaps. AXe could have killed them, but no matter how good of shot he was, there was a chance of hitting one of the children in trying a killing shot, they way these men used them as human shields. still in motion, Axe let the mag cartridge in his gun drop with a click, and grabbed another one at his belt. at this point the last enemy still standing was the man holding jimmy’s wife, and his finger on the trigger of his gun was about to go back. trying to through the man off balance, and because he did not have enough time to load his gun and avoid gunfire, Axe through the mag in his hand right at the gunman's face. causing his finger to squeeze the trigger and let loose a rain of gunfire, but also for him to lose his balance and fall a few steps back from the force of the blow. this made it so the man lost control for a moment, and missed Axe all together with his bullets. taking this advantage, Axe lunged towards the still surprised and off balance gunman, grabbed the mag that had rebounded from the man’s head and was flying through the air, slid it into the hilt of his gun with fluid motion and shot the man at point blank range, his gun actually pressed right up against the man’s chest. that close, there was no way Axe could miss and hit Axe’s wife, who screamed at being so close to Axe’s kill of the man. stepping backward as the last government agent in the room feel to the ground, Axe looked around the room. two dead men lay on the floor, blood draining from their bodies. two more men moaned in pain from leg wounds Axe had given them. two little children, one boy and one a girl, screamed with fear and rushed to their mother, who seemed just as afraid as the kids were. “I don’t understand!” Jimmy’s wife said “I....”, “Sarah!” Jimmy exclaimed as he rushed into the room and hugged his wife. “are you, okay?” JImmy asked, his wife nodded but started sobbing. Axe looked at JImmy, he looked at his family and felt something deep inside. it was a feeling that he was not familiar with, disliking how it made him feel, Axe pushed off the feeling and turned his attention to the two wounded men in the room. with two clear and easy shots, Axe ended their agony and lives. “would you please stop doing that!” Axe heard Jimmy’s wife said to him, scream at him. “just please, stop killing people!” Axe looked at the women, measured her. “this is not over yet!” Axe said as he looked at Jimmy, ignoring the woman’s comment. “more agents will come, if they don’t just decide to blow us up first. we need to get out of here, go some where safe and than you can tell me what this is all about!” JImmy looked at him with that for a long moment, not sure he could trust Axe. with a reluctant nod, JImmy grabbed his wife’s hand and followed Axe out of the room.

Tara1 said...
nice... definitely wanted to read more

on Mar. 27 2012 at 10:27 am
Zelous-Arrow-Shade, Bountiful, Utah

thanks for your comment, i enjoyed it. please feel free to comment on anything you would like to see in the book or happen, it is still a work in progress and i need more idea's.

Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
AMAZING!!!! WRITE MORE!!! HUNGRY FOR MORE!!! :)(: