Just Like Me | Teen Ink

Just Like Me

By CMiller BRONZE, Madelia, Minnesota
CMiller BRONZE, Madelia, Minnesota

Just Like Me

“I am the world's greatest archeologist and I am going to find the lost civilization of Ermestia.”

Cameras flashed from every angle, the famous archeologist Jacob Jacobs stood heroically at the podium eating up what the crowd was serving him. Mr. Jacobs is not a modest man. He would take any chance he can get to change the subject and talk about his most recent discovery. Some hate him, but many adore him and his work. He’s quite the looker too, dark features, intense deep blue eyes, dark brown hair, and stubble decorating his chiseled jawline. Jacobs smirked at the ladies in the crowd and jumped down from the podium and walked to his vehicle when he was stopped by a interviewer scaling at about 5’3 and wearing a funny looking hat.

“Are you aware of the effects the forest has on people around the lost civilization? Do you believe these rumors? Are you afraid to go on this journey? What obstacles do you think you’ll have to face?”

Mr. Jacobs looked at the stubby interviewer with confusion written all over his face. He was a bit uncomfortable. The interviewer was so close, he could almost smell what he had for lunch that day. Jacobs stares at the man with a challenging look laced with insecurity.

“What effects?” Jacobs asked with a small, but noticeable quiver in his voice.

The crowd went from a whisper to a roar in a matter of seconds talking amongst themselves.

“He’s not prepared!” One yelled.

“He’ll never make it.” Shouted another.

The yelled questions emerging from the crowd surrounded Jacobs. So many questions from all angles; he couldn’t even hear himself think.

“People!” Jacobs voice echoed in the square silencing the concerned crowd.

“I am not afraid of an old wives tale. I am going into those woods to find that city and I’ll be back soon enough.” With that Jacobs maneuvers his way to his truck and with one swift movement he was in the truck loaded with all his gear and starts his journey to the rumored cursed forest.

There he was standing at the edge of the forest with his eyes closed and mind open. He has done this before every mission; some might call it a prayer others would call it a meditation. Jacobs opened his eyes, patted his trusty dagger, and entered the mystical forest unaware of what may happen.

Jacobs pushed through the thick brush. It had been hours since he started his journey, sweat dripped from his temple and slowly made its way down to his neck soaking into the collar of his shirt. He was exhausted and it was getting dark. Animals of all kinds were getting ready to turn in for the night except for a select few. The sounds of the night surrounded Jacobs. He could hear the crickets playing their lullabies, the owls asking about an unknown person, and the wind waltzing with the wildlife. Just when he wanted to turn in for the night he spotted a cave off in the distance and being the over zealous explorer he is he ventured on into the cave without the guidance of the sun. All he had was a lighter he kept in his pack. The cave was damp with what looked like icicles dangling from the ceiling and sticking up on the floor. He could hear water droplets dripping down from the ceiling and the squeaking of rats off in the distance. Jacobs picked up the pace at the sound of those disgusting creatures and stumbled down a steep slope. Running into rocks, twigs, and whatever else was down there. He tried to grab onto something, anything, but to no prevail. Jacobs reached the end of the slope rolling over the edge. He felt weightless. Air rushed past him screaming in his ears. Jacobs fell deeper.

Down.

Down.

Down.

Until he reached the bottom.

‘SNAP!’

Jacobs groaned as he leaned to get up. He felt an unbearable pain in his left leg. Jacobs leaned down to touch his injured leg only to learn that it was completely broken. The bone was detached and the leg was twisted all the way around. Jacobs started to panic not knowing what to do.

Jacobs came to his senses and went into his pack to take out his first aid kit. Once he got it open all that was in it was a few bandaids and a note saying.

“The great Jacobs doesn’t need first aid.”

Jacobs growled and threw the kit off in some unknown part of the cave.

‘What do I do now? No one is going to be looking for me and I don’t have any food or water. Usually I’d take care of that on the go, but now I’m stuck down here with a goddamn broken leg.’

Jacobs leaned up against the wall and listened for anything, but nothing could be heard other than his slow breathing. In. Out. In. Out. Jacobs looked for any indication of time, but found nothing. He waits for sound. He waits for noise. He waits for help.

“How long has it been?” Jacobs groaned

“It’s been about 48 hours” replied a nearby voice.

“Who’s there?” Jacobs asked alarmed and scooted closer to the wall.

“My name is Michael, Michael Michaels and I’m just like you.”

“How are you like me?”

“I’m an adventurer just like you and I wanted to explore this forest just like you and I also found this cave and fell down this hole. Just. Like. You.”

“How long have you been here?” Jacobs questioned.

“Oh awhile, one week, maybe a month, a year? Who really knows.”

Jacobs’ eyes widened in shock. ‘How has this man made it this long? It’s pitch black down here, there’s no way.’

As Jacobs was running this through his head there was shuffling from across the room and suddenly he felt sharp pain coming from the top of his head and a warm substance trickling down his face at that moment Jacobs slowly lost consciousness.

When he regained consciousness he noticed his hands were bound together with some cloth. Jacobs looked around for a hint of anything the light, a sound, the man.

Jacobs heard the man get up and approach him. He could hear the limp in his step as he approached. The man stopped, maybe a few feet in front of Jacobs.

“Why are you doing this?” Jacobs asked in a harsh tone

“You were a threat to my existence and down here it’s every man for himself and I am here to stay.”

“I could’ve helped you get out of here. If we worked together we could make it.”

“Don’t be dumb Mr.Jacobs. You can’t go anywhere with a leg like that.”

Jacobs felt the now throbbing pain in his leg feeling disappointed and defeated.

“I-I could do it.”

“No, you can’t. You can’t do anything, you’re going to die down here. Just. Like. Me.”

Jacobs reached for his dagger stashed away in his back pocket ripped it out of its sheath and quickly cut the cloth binding him and with all his strength lunged into the darkness missing his target. Jacobs swung himself around and listened. One rock, one pebble was moved by the man and in one swift motion Jacobs had done it. He felt the warmth coming from his abdomen and the thick liquid flooding to his mouth. Jacobs collapsed on the floor. The man was gone.