Inheritance Of The World | Teen Ink

Inheritance Of The World

By Christianmaciver BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
Christianmaciver BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

Inheritance of the World

It’s happening it’s happening!

“Yes I know I know I’m not a hatchling”

Eragon had been waiting years for this moment, for the first egg from the vault of souls to hatch. As the egg rocked from side to side Saphira intently watched with her ocean blue eyes. The egg seemed to rock like a chick hatching from its egg, it rocked and bounced for minutes and minutes at a time. It looks just like Saphira’s egg but purple when he first found it in the Spine many years ago. Surprisingly, enough one of the elves that had traveled with Eragon to find the new homes for the dragons contacted him through their minds.

There is a ship approaching from the east Shadeslayer

Eragon was so surprised he thought a trick was being played on him, but he dismissed the thought for the elves were a boring bunch. He wasted no time and hurried to the dock where the elf that had contacted him, Allen. On his short run to the docks, he touched Saphira’s mind and told her what was going on.

Be safe little one.

I will Saphira.

While running he questioned Allen his most trusted ally in this new land about the ship. It was a small sailing boat with its sails down and speeding towards the dock. They had not had visitors or enemies come from the sea since the 5 years they had been there.

As Eragon slowed to a walk when he got to the dock he tried to identify the person on the rowing boat that had started to move towards the dock. All he could manage to grasp even with his improved elf vision was one singular cloaked figure.

As he waited for the stranger to dock he sent Allen to grab his sword and inform the others of the happenings so far. Even with Eragon’s growing age he was still as impatient as ever and was anxious for the exchange, whether it be hostile or friendly. Since their settlement in the new land, Saphira and him had been able to meld their minds together completely. With this closeness, Saphira is able to see and hear as he does, so she is aware and ready for battle if need be.

Let me burn the wooden fish and let us be done with it little one.

No Saphira, what if it is a friend?

And what if it is a foe?

Then we shall remain vigilant until we find out.

Saphira grunted with uneasiness and Eragon knew what she meant. Now all there to do, was wait.

Chapter 2

“I cannot feel the stranger's mind Shadeslayer.”

“Neither can I Blödhagram, it is most worrying, especially since the first egg has decided to hatch conveniently the same day this stranger decides to show.”

“Mhm” Blödhagram grunted, he seemed to be stressed which was rare for him, usually elves were good at hiding their emotions.

After what seemed to be a lifetime the small rowboat reached the dock and the cloaked figure stepped out and tied the boat to the dock. As it did this Eragon dropped his hand to the pommel of his sword Brisingr. As the cloaked figure turned around he laughed with relief.

It was Angela the herbalist back where she always was, where the excitement is. Eragon let his emotions get the better of him and he ran to her and embaraced her.

“Hello, my friend” she hugged him back as the elves sat there in awe, for they had never seen someone act like this to Angela. He let her go as his common sense came back to him and asked

“So why have you come? We did not receive news of your arrival.”

“I like to be spontaneous you know that Eragon, anywho where is this new dragon of yours?”

“How did you know about this? It just started to hatch today” He did not mind that she knew about the egg but it did alarm him that someone could find out. He took a mental note to discuss the issue with Blödhagram later.

“Pish posh my friend let us talk later we have a dragon to hatch.”

“Only if you tell me how you knew later tonight at dinner.”

“I do not like to spread my ways, but if I must I must, how you have grown.” She did not like the idea of telling anyone her secrets but it had to be done, she did like to be where the excitement was.

“Very good, now this way m’ lady,” He said sarcastically

As they walked they engaged in small talk and the happenings of Alagaesia, but other than that they were silent on the way to the eggs.When she saw the egg she gasped and startled Saphira and Eragon alike. She looked up at Eragon and Saphira.

“My apologies friends, it has been so long since I've seen one. I always imagined myself a rider on a magnificent dragon just this color, funny enough.” She had a strange feeling to touch the egg like she had to for some odd reason. Then she shook the thought and blamed it on the voyage.

Chapter 3

“May I?” she addressed Saphira instead of Eragon, which pleased Saphira greatly, for it was she that protected them. Saphira dipped her head in approval and Angela leaned in to touched it.

“Ahh!” She screamed as she laid her palm on the egg, and her vision flashed bright red and her palm began to burn and itch. She had heard stories of the feeling, but she could not believe it, surely it could not be. She fell back and cupped her hand with her other hand and sat there breathing heavy.

“What just happened? Are you ok?” He plastered her with questions but she just sat there looking at her hand. He rushed over and was astonished at what he saw. On her hand was an insignia, they both knew what this meant but neither of them could believe it.

Angela was now a dragon rider. She did not know how or why, but it was happening and it was real. All of a sudden she forgot, not her name, not Eragon, but her entire past life. She felt a piece of her leave her soul. An entire life's work, or was it her life? It seemed so alien to her to try and remember a past that was not there anymore.

“Eragon help me” and she fainted.

When she woke she was in a comfy bed inside a tree. Why was she in a tree? Houses can’t be in trees she told herself. Then she noticed Eragon and started to sit up.

“Whoa whoa Angela take it easy you don’t want to be sick.” She looked confused to him and he did not know why, so he took a mental note of that.

“What happened?” she said while getting up slowly.

“When you and Quence bonded you passed out. Luckily I caught you before you hit your head, but it was close. You did not bring Solembum with you?”

“Who would you be talking about my friend?” Who was he talking about? I have never heard of a “Solembum” before.

“Solembum” He was getting worried, she would never just “forget” about him.

“I’m sorry but I don’t know who you are talking about.”

“Sit back for a minute, I need to examine you.”

She did so and had a strange attraction to him, she could not remember her feelings of him before. Eragon leaned over and whispered the enchantment to examine her and all he felt was confusion and… attraction? No this must be wrong, he must have said the enchantment wrong. He was sure of one thing though, she was not the same person that she was when she arrived here. There was a hole in her personality that he inferred was the lack of memory.

It must be awful to lose your all of your memories he thought.

“Can you walk?”

“Yes I can, I would like to see Quence now.”

“As you wish” She sat up and he lead her to the door. He did not know what was wrong with her, all he knew was that something had changed drastically.

Dear Arya,

Hello Arya, there is so much that I wish to talk to you about and so little time. First of all the first dragon has hatched! You will not believe who the rider is, it is Angela. It has almost been a decade but it has finally happened another rider! My biggest request is that if you will fly here to Elra to talk over the terms of the eggs for an elf rider is next in line since Angela is a human.Quence is the name of the new dragon and he is an interesting one if I may say so. He has instantly taken a liking to Saphira so if Firnen wants a chance with her you should hurry. With all of this good news, I do have some bad, ever since Angela and Quence bonded she has been different. She does not notice it but she has forgotten some things that would never escape the original her, for how old and wise she is. I feel the bond has harmed or at least affected her in some way. I worry for her and is another reason I ask you to come to Elra, you have always known more about healing than I. I would probe her mind myself but I feel that would be harmful to either her or I. The reason I did not contact you through magic is we have placed wards around Elra like the ones around Elsmere to protect ourselves and the eggs. Blödhagram helped me put them up because they are very old and forgotten by most. I hope you find time to come visit in these dire times, this is the most excitement I have had in a while and dearly wish you to be here with me. I still think of you time to time, or more like most of the time. I do enjoy the peace and quiet in this new land and world, but I have always been one to love excitement. I find myself restless most nights overthinking and wishing I was somewhere else. I have wanted to go exploring to stretch my legs and get out but ---- has advised against is and I have listened. I have rambled on long enough, may your legs carry you and your wings breach the sky.    -Your old friend, Eragon

Dear Roran,

Hello cousin, how have you been? It has been a long time and you must be as old as some of the trees in Ellesmera at this point! I hope your baby girl and my niece is well and no misfortune has fallen on my family. I miss you dearly and wish I could see you. I skry you from time to time and see that Palancar Valley has come a long way. It must have taken many moons to make your hall, but I assume the people helped you as well. And how of Katrina? She looks happy to be home and that the war is over. I do not blame her, war is no place for women and children. Only for warriors like you and I, eh? We have names our settlement Elra. It is stunningly and magnificently beautiful here. I can never get enough of the sunsets and sunrises. Katrina would love it and even Roran Stronghammer would too. Now to address the more serious happening of late. The first dragon Quence has hatched surprisingly to Angela, but it has affected her mentally. Our healers and I have no idea what happened in the bonding. All we know is that she needs help and I ask for your council on this matter. You are an experienced leader and family. We did have an agreement with the elves to send the next rider to Ellesmerea for training but these events have changed things. For now, she will stay with us until we cure her or find out what has happened and if we can help her in any way. I will be sending this letter with a trained pigeon. He will wait at your house once he delivers the message until you give him a letter in response. Neat huh? Magic of course but that is of little concern at this point. I hope you get this letter soon and I wish to hear from you even sooner. We do not say it very often but I love you Roran, you were there in my childhood and by my side in battle. With no one else do I have a relationship like ours with, and it will stay like that forever.

-Your cousin, Eragon

Dear Queen Nasuada,

It has been a long time my friend. We have much to discuss, formal and not. The biggest news and the most important is that the first egg has hatched. It has hatched to Angela and his name is Quence. They are happy together as I expected, but I have some unfortunate news as well. After the bonding, Angela has been acting differently of late. She has forgotten things that she normally would not. I worry for her health and would like your opinion on the matter, for being honest I do not know what to do. For now, she is being examined physically by the elves that are here in Elra and there is no immediate danger for now. I understand you are very busy ruling Alagaesia, but when I hear your counsel I would rather it be here in Elra. I have invited Arya and plan to invite Orik to this gathering as well. The trip here is not that dangerous and I would have some of the elves wait for you on the coast of Alagaesia to act as your guide here. I do wish you will accept my invitation and hope you are well. Here in Elra, it is gorgeous and I do wish that you can see it alongside me. I would also request that this message be kept confidential for now. My reasoning for this is because if the Kull found out about Angela they may grow scared and want to leave the pact we had. The Kull are brutal and barbaric creatures but they are not stupid. Even our own people may grow scared of the new coming riders if they think it has a mental effect on them. I just pray that this is not permanent damage and just temporal due to the bonding. Either way, I think it would be best if you came here to advise things for even just a few days. I am no ruler as you know, so thus as your loyal vassal Elra is yours, but the riders are still free from the rule of the crown as you know. It is nice to finally write you, have speed and may your journey be peaceful.

Sincerely, Eragon

Dear Orik,

Orik my brother how great it is to finally write you! I know that you would rather communicate face to face but the happenings of late have made us put barriers around Elra. The first dragon has hatched and it is to Angela. She is ecstatic about it but I bring grave news as well. She has fallen ill due to the bonding and we cannot find out why. Due to this, I request that you will come to visit me in Elra, as a king and my brother of Ingeitum. If you do come I also request that you bring one of your best healers. The dwarf’s healers know things even the elves do not so I hope they will have an answer to what this particular illness is. Setting all that aside I would like to hear about how you are Orik. Being the king of the factions can be a tedious job especially with no battles to fight or win, eh?  And how of your wife, has she born a child to you? Oh, how I wish I was talking to you in person instead of writing a letter, but this is still pleasuring. I did not expect to talk or see anyone from Alagaesia for the rest of my life, except the elves here of course. You know how boring they can be. What was the term you used to describe them? “Tree huggers”? Such great times but we must look to the future, and the close one at that. I have also taken up the hobby of smithing due to the boring nature over here and I quite enjoy it. When you come I would like you to teach me a thing here and there in our free time. All I have been able to craft is elven armor and swords, but there is nothing like a good old sturdy dwarven helmet, eh? I guess I shall wrap this up. I really hope you will accept my request/invitation to come to the home I have made. I do believe Elra is the first settlement to be settled by two races looking for a home together. Farewell, my friend and brother of Ingeitum. May your axe swing fast and your armor hold the same.

-Your Brother, Eragon

Dear Brom,

I did it father, I fulfilled my destiny. The one you fought and died for, the one you gave me. Without you, I would not be here and I would not have been able to do everything I did for Alagaesia. Killing the king and becoming a true rider are my biggest accomplishments and I am proud to be the son of Brom. Now when I walk the streets people will not just say Eragon, they will say Eragon Bromsson. That title means the most to me. Shadeslayer, Kingslayer, even God, Brommson means the most to me. When you passed away I was just a boy on a hopeless quest, now I am a man that accomplished that quest. I do not like to boast but I did it father, I  brought the riders back. When I was a kid you used to tell us all stories of the riders. Back then you were Brom the storyteller, now you are father to me. I grew up wondering who my father was, and to think that he was sitting there on that porch smoking his pipe every day when I went to the market astounds me. My life is different without you here, I am not as inexperienced as I was, but I still have a lot to learn and still need help. For almost ten years I thought that I would never have the chance to go back to Alagaesia and have a wife and child, but now that is not so much a dream now. Angela arrived and the dragon Quence bonded her. She has grown ill due to it though so I seek counsel with the leaders of Alagaesia, who are my trusted friends. Depending on what they say I might have the chance to go to Alagaesia for a while. I plan to continue our bloodline, for it is one of the longest and most epic in the history in Alagaesia. I hope that I have made you proud and that I will see you one day. I do not know if there is a heaven or a hell or if we rot in the ground but I hope to see you again. You taught me my first magic and swordplay, now I am the single-handedly most powerful creature in all of Alagaesia.    -Love, Your Son