It was the last time I ever saw him | Teen Ink

It was the last time I ever saw him

By NikkiChopra BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
NikkiChopra BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Author's note:

I am a student of NEar North Montessori and this is a piece I wrote that describes a mystery and a normal life together. 

No

Red Line

It was the last time I ever saw him

I got into my car and drove home. It was the first I had ever drove by myself, so I drove very cautiously. My sister was in the passenger seat glaring at me because she wanted to drive but our parents told us we had to take turns. My sister and I had just turned 16 a week ago, and for our big present we got a car. Our parents decided we could share one because we went to the same school. I looked at my sister gain and realized that her frown was turning into a smile, she couldn't help it. By the time we got home my sister was bursting out laughing. We walked out of our garage and into our house, our parents were already home.

“So, how was it Lucia,” My mom said. I grinned and said,

“It was great, thank you Mom and dad it is an amazing gift and we are truly grateful for it. Tess had already gone up to her room to get ready for dinner. When Tess came back down my parents said that we would have to miss a day of school because we were going to hawaii for spring break. We were so exited not just to go to Hawaii but to miss school. After dinner we ran up the stairs to pack because we were leaving in two days. Although I was really excited to go to Hawaii I was scared of planes because a unforgettable, tragic incident happened when I was nearly 12 years ago. The next day all my sister and I could think about was going to Hawaii. We were excited because since were sixteen we can go by yourself and get the freedom because our parents weren't coming, but we were going to miss them. When I got home I started packing because last night I didn't even start. I on accident parked for only one week until I realized we were going for two weeks. Two hours later my sister and I were already to go. Our flight was at 5am so that meant we had to be there at 330am, so we didn't even bother sleeping.

At The Airport

After we checked our bags Tess and I went to get something to eat. We decided on a smoothie place since it was right by our boarding gate. We took put our tickets and let the grumpy old lady scan it. Tess and I checked our tickets to make sure we were sitting together. We found are seats immediatly since the plane was small and only seated 150 passengers. Tess shook her head at me and said,

“Lucia, do you think this will be safe?” I looked at her and said

“Hopefully Tess, hopefully.” I sat down in my seat and remembered the day our brothers live had been taken. Tess and I were only twelve and our little brother Will was 8. Our parents had surprised us with plane tickets to London, England. We were all so excited to go. When we got in our seats none of us were sitting together. I sat the farthest away from everyone because  our parents wanted Will to be the closest to them. When the flight took off everything was running smoothly and everybody was fine, until about 4 hours into the flight the plane started to wobble. Everybody woke up and the plane was still wobbling up and down. Many people were scared and the pilot kept telling us to stay calm but we couldn't. And then the lights turned off the energy stopped working and the plane spun upside down. I couldn't see Will or Tess or my parents and then the plane went straight down and crashed so oud and startling it felt that I had been dead for a minute. I don't know how long I had been asleep after the crash but long enough that the plane could kill people. The people next me were dead. I walked nervously to the pilot who was lying in his chair. I was so happy to see he was alive until I looked at his face, he had died through lacking oxygen and eventually suffocating. I had looked at everyone else to see if they were alive but there was no sign of that anywhere. I was too nervous to ever look at my family but I had to do it, would there be any sign of life, was the question I kept asking to myself. I walked through the plane and I came across my brother. I couldn't look I just couldn't, but then out of nowhere I removed my hands from eyes and I saw my dead, cold, innocent brother. I held him in my arms, I was sobbing so loud but nobody could hear me. I set Will down because I had to find my parents and Tess. I was still crying when I passed Tess’s seat. I looked at her, and then put my cold hand onto Tess’s heart, she was alive but  I couldn't stop crying. And then I looked behind me and I saw my parents they were awake like me and were holding Will in his arms just like when he was a baby.

“Tess is alive,” I whispered. A sad, melancholy smile appeared on there face. When Tess woke up we walked out of the plane to see that half of the plane was on fire. Mom and dad still had will cradled in their arms. A day after the plane crashed and Wills death a rescue helicopter came, and we were relieved. I looked at will and kissed his cheek, it was the last time I ever did that.

Present Time

“Lucia, Lucia,” my sister said slapping me

“ The plane is going to c-” It was too late it had already happened.