The Curse of The Damp Book | Teen Ink

The Curse of The Damp Book

By breannaw2002, Maysville, Kentucky
breannaw2002, Maysville, Kentucky

"Suicidal people are just angels that want to go home" -Unknown

Author's note:

I put bits and parts of personal feelings into this novel creating what I hope to be an emotional novel filled with adventure, romance, and suspenseful moments.

While investigating the death of a local, a brave student called David Thunder uncovers a legend about a cursed, damp book floating throughout the haunted house at the end of Main Street.

As soon as anyone uses the book, he or she has 124 days left. The doomed few appear to be ordinary people during day-to-day life, but when photographed, they look distorted, and a marked person feels like a scaly lizard to the touch.

David gets hold of the book, refusing to accept the superstition. A collage of images flash into his mind: a damp owl balancing on a cold pole, an old newspaper headline about a car accident, a hooded rat ranting about the unknown, and a drinking well in a creepy place.
Before he could register what he witnessed, he notices his hands became scaly as each scale overlapped the other but covering his entire body but vanished soon after.

David realizes that the curse of the damp book is true and calls his old friend, a student named Simon Giantbulb on the phone, David says “Simon please I need your help don’t hang up I am sorry about what happened to your friend but I do not want to die please I’m at the old house at the end of Main Street!” Simon thought about hanging up but all he can say is “Okay I’ll help”, about a half an hour later Simon shows up walking into the house and finds David in a corner with the book in front of him he tries to say hi to Simon but gets ignored.

Simon examines the book and submits himself to the curse knowing the danger that puts his life at stake. Simon finds that the same visions flash before his eyes and finds the damp owl balancing on a chilling pole and joins the queue for the grimacing death cast upon him by the damp book. David and Simon pursue a quest to uncover what the visions mean, starting with a search for the hooded rat.

David and Simon meet for the first time at school, their teacher put them into pairs, ever since then they were inseparable. They did everything together: bike, camp and even pull pranks on the teachers but one day they meet this girl her name was Sophia Snozzcumber the boys fell in love with her. They fought, but she was more in love with David. As David grew older he became more popular with the other kids and left Simon to be alone and by himself.

As the two boys grew apart, Simon struggled to get by in school and got bullied, he felt like he was not good enough to fit in he was an outcast one day while sitting alone at lunch this new kid named Ruth Sparrow. Ruth was a quiet kid she was shy and liked to avoid crowds she has long black hair, bright blue eyes she was short and skinny, she and Simon talked more and they grew to be friends but Ruth was getting bullied a lot is school the girls picked on her because she was different.

A month goes by Ruth gets tripped in the hallway by David’s girlfriend Sophia who is a blond skinny girl who is very snarky to other girls and is always wearing a dress. Sophia laughed and said “Oops I didn’t see you there, freak.” as Simon turns the corner and sees Ruth on the ground he walks up and helps Ruth he notices tears in her eyes, he looks at Sophia and says “Next time you pick on my friend you will regret it.”

He turns to Ruth and wipes her tears while saying “Let’s get out of here she is not worth crying over.” Ruth nods and walks with Simon to their next class David walks up and punches Simon who falls to the floor as David yells “Next time you threaten my girlfriend I will beat you to a pulp and your friend shouldn’t be picking on Sophia all she does is try to be nice to her!” Simon looks up at David and shouts “You should ask Ruth about what happened because your girlfriend did not tell you the right story!”

David replies “Why would I believe a liar who I heard has sex with every person she meets.” Hearing what David had said Ruth runs off crying as Simon gets up to follow David who is still angry stops him.

That night Simon walks over to Ruth’s house worried cause he has not seen her since school he knocks on the door as it creaks open he shouts “Ruth you home!?” as he walks in to look for her and walking up to a door covered with decorations along with Ruth’s name.

He knocks the door creaks open he falls to his knees once he sees what is inside. Lying on the floor is Ruth who took her life because she couldn’t handle the pain Simon crawls over checking to see if she has a pulse but she has none his hands shake as he calls 911.

Later that night at the hospital the doctor walks out saying that there is nothing they could do she lost too much blood. Simon looking at his clothes covered in blood crying out “Why did this have to happen to her!”

Next day at school Simon walks in with a blank expression on his face as he goes to Ruth’s locker taping up a piece of paper that says “I will never forget you.” as he turns to see David behind him who is struggling to find what to say. Simon walks past him bumping into him and David turns and says “Simon I’m so sorry... I didn’t think she would do that...” Simon keeps on walking ignoring what is coming out of Davids’ mouth.

As Simon looks around for clues on where to find the hooded rat he gives David the cold shoulder while thinking why did he agree to get in this mess. Meanwhile, on the other side of the room, David reflects on his past actions. He turns to Simon and says “Sim-.” Simon interrupts “Don’t even bother! You have done enough damage!” David looks away trying to figure out why he feels the way he does ignoring the truth about himself and his feelings to protect himself from embarrassment and rejection from everyone around him.

Simon shouts “Hey look at what I’ve found.” David looks over his shoulder at what Simon is shining his light on and then walks towards Simon and stops behind him looking over Simon’s shoulder David questioned “What is it?” and Simon looks at David and answered, “It’s a ripped map with Greek writing on the back.” Simon stated, “Let’s go to my house so we can figure out what the Greek writing says.” David nods and agrees the toy boys head off to Simon’s house.

Simon looks at the Greek wordings written on the paper which reads Όποιος βρίσκει τον αρουραίο με κουκούλα θα βρει τις απαντήσεις που ψάχνεις, αλλά να βρεις αυτό το αρουραίο να καταλάβεις το γρίφο σου για να βρεις το άλλο κομμάτι: είμαι σκοτεινό και κρύο Είμαι βαθύς και υγρός σε έναν τόπο θανάτου όταν με βρίσκεσαι ψάχνω για τους σοφούς και εκεί θα βρείτε το άλλο μέρος του χάρτη.

Simon uses a translation app on his phone and figures out that the words read Thy who finds the hooded rat shall find the answers thy seek but to find this rat figure out thy riddle to find the other piece: I am dark and cold I am deep and wet in a place of death when you find me look for the wise and there you will find the other part of the map.

Simon looks at David and sighed “We need to work together to figure out this riddle even if I like it or not.” David agreed “Yea I’m sorry! You were my best friend, and I betrayed you is there anything I can do to make it up to you.”

Simon looks away in silence not knowing what to say as a tear runs down his face. David reaches over trying to comfort Simon but gets pushed away. David begged “Please Simon let me make this up to you! I promise I’ll be better this time! I don’t want to be alone you are the only person I have any more ever since what happened I have been able to forgive myself. Please, Simon!” Simon bluntly replied, “Now you know how it feels to trust someone and care for someone and then everyone turns on you.”

Silence fills the room as the feeling of dread crawls up their back. Simon looks at his eyes tearing up and shouts “Stop saying sorry! Just leave me alone about it okay!” If we don’t figure this out, we are both going to die and I don’t want to hate you I want to forgive you! So please let’s figure this out and give me some time!”

Simon looks away realizing that he is breaking down in tears hating himself because he still wants to be friends with David after what he had done. Simon thinks about the visions he had and shouts “I got it! The well in our visions we need to find the well to find the other part of the map!”

They both jump up and they figure out where the well is located and looking for local wells but finds the nearest well is 100 miles away a 5 day walk as they read more about the well it is known as the haunted well which you can hear the voices of those who had died coming from the well it is built on a graveyard.

Simon and David look at each other and back at the riddle as David questions “What about the wise what would that be?” Simon replies “We will have to figure out when we get there let’s pack and get going in the morning we have a long walk ahead of us.”

The boys lay down Simon sleeps in his bed and David sleeps on the couch. David tosses and turns through the night unable to get sleep around 1 am he drifts to sleep but is woken up by nightmares he gets up and walks to Simons room and whispers “H-hey Simon you awake?” Simon whispers back “Yes I can’t sleep.” David asks “Wanna watch movies?”

He walks in Simons room Simon nods they watch movies, Simon falls asleep after an hour but David stays up thinking he looks at Simon and blushes whispering “Goodnight Simon boy.” He lays down and sleeps on the floor.

Next morning the boys wake up and grab what they need for the trip after they finish packing Simon prints out the map directions to the well in case their phones lose signal. David and Simon walk down the road stopping at a gas station to buy water and other supplies they walk to the counter to check out.

As the boys are checking out the cashier  notices that the boys have their packs on and questions them “You boys aren’t running away now are you.” Simon and David look at each other and Simon answer “No Sir just going on a camping trip we have to hike there.” The cashier replied, “You boys be careful and good luck on your camping trip.”

The boys turn and leave with their supplies they start down the road again a few hours later they sit to rest but realize they aren’t alone. While they were walking they both felt someone was watching them but they see no one as they look around but then, they hear a twig snap then whining and growling in the woods on the opposite side of the road the boys hesitate to check out what is making the noises.

David picks up a stick getting in front of Simon and walks towards the woods out limps a dog that got its leg still stuck in a bear trap David tries to help free the dog while Simon pulls out bandages from his pack to help the injured dog.

After a while of struggling David frees the dog Simon bandages the dog up, they both pet him and share their food with him. Simon looks at the white and brown furred dog it has a stubbed leg and is a medium size dog  Simon asks “Can we bring him along?” David replies “I was about to ask that but what should we name him?” They sit and think of a name David asks “How about Stubby? Cause of his stubbed leg.” Simon laughs shouting “I love it!” David smiles because it has been a long time since he has seen Simon laugh or smile.

David always knew he was different, but he denies what he feels because he fears rejection and embarrassment from a young age his father who was a strong believer of God taught him the ways of the bible and that liking people of the same sex is wrong.

Growing up David always hid the real him behind a mask going to church and spending time with family he dated a few girls but he didn’t love them until one day in school he meets Simon who is a brown hair kid who has black glasses he is short and skinny, David thought Simon was cute.

After a time had passed he dated Sophia who he had liked, so he went for it she hated Simon and David feared rejection so he acted meaner and became the rude person he was until he went too far.

After Ruth killed herself he never forgave himself and realize that he was so down without Simon he realized he was in love with him. For months he tried to get Simon to forgive him but he always got ignored every night he cried because of the guilt of being a reason for someone who committed suicide and losing someone he loved he cried to himself at night “Why did I do that what is wrong with me?!”

As days passed on he became increasingly depressed every day so he finds something to get his mind off of everything. He drinks and do drugs trying to ignore the pain he felt inside he got in trouble one night with his father and ended up getting grounded for a month after he was ungrounded he went out to explore and heard about a death of a local who was said to have gone to the haunted house and found a cursed book. David figured out if the legends were true and if the book was haunted or it was all made up he thought to himself “If I die would anyone be there to save me?” He puts a picture of Simon and him in his pocket as he steps in the yard of the house then going inside.

As night fell, the boys find an abandoned campsite and settle down while David finds firewood Simon sits with Stubby petting him, David comes out of the woods with firewood in hand he lays the firewood down and picks up surrounding rocks and puts them into a small circle then sets the firewood placing them in a tp like shape he reaches in his pockets and pulls out a lighter lighting a dry piece of grass he had picked up nearby and places it under the firewood softly blowing on it until the fire grows bigger, afterward he gets up and lays with Simon and Stubby.                                                                                                            

Simon lays back and looks at the stars and states “The stars are so beautiful it is very peaceful. David looks at Simon and says in a soft tone “Like you.” he blushes while Simon looks into Davids eyes blushing the two kiss passionately.

The next morning Simon wakes up in David's arms he blushes as he gets up picking up his clothing, which is scattered around then gets dressed. A few hours later David wakes up looking at Simon who is running around playing with Stubby, carrying a stick while he limps after Simon, David blushes as he gets up and gets dressed he walks over to Simon and states “We should get going. Are you ready?” Simon nods picking up his bag and putting out the fire.

The two start back down the road again, despite the scaly feel Simon take Davids hand while Stubby limping closely behind from his injured leg trying to stay balanced.

After walking all day they come upon a lake with crystal clear blue water which shines in the sunlight with a tall beautiful waterfall, Simon looks at the lake and turn to David and asks “Can we camp here for the night?.” knowing the sun will set soon David replies “I agree let's get settled down.”

Soon the sun sets David gets a small fire going with what daylight that was left, all Simon and David lay in each other's arms while Stubby lays at their feet, but what they don’t know, is the dangers in that lies ahead.

As the sun rises David and Simon plan to have a bit of fun before they start on the road again, Simon goes over to the sparkling lake taking his shirt and pants off hanging them on a tree branch and climbs to the top of the waterfall nearly slipping on a damp rock at one point.

When he gets to the top he looks down and the ground almost seemed a million miles away at this point.

“Okay, no need to be scared it's not that high up at all. Heh yeah, of course, it isn't!” Simon says as he begins to laugh nervously talking to himself.   Simon takes a deep breath and leaps headfirst in Olympic fashion down into the water below making a big splash. When he resurfaces he hears distant clapping and turns to see David clapping with a giant grin on his face while he and Stubby are soaked in water from Simon's splash.

David looks down at his shirt and looks at Simon and takes off his soaking wet shirt smirking at him. Simon blushes as he stares at David's ripped torso as water drips from his long shiny blonde hair that comes down to the bottom of his ears, as he runs his hand through it slicking it back.

David notices him staring and teases him by saying “you like what you see hmm?” he says as seductively as he can but breaks out laughing because he cannot keep a straight face as Simon laughs along they both blush. Simon gets out of the water walking over to David holding his hand and walking with him too with on the edge of the water. David puts his arm around Simon and pushes in Simon belly flops the water with a big KAPLOOSH! David jumps in after taking his pants off diving in. When Simon surfaces David swims up behind him and hugs him by surprise and whispers “I love you, Simon, even though you are such a huge nerd.” he says while holding Simon tighter, when suddenly Stubby jumps in out of nowhere and splashes them both.

After an hour of swimming, the two get out to find their clothes are nowhere to be seen, they look at each other with worried looks on their faces. It begins to get a bit colder despite being a mid-summer day in June and the two both start to shiver as they have nothing but their underwear on. Looking around for their clothing they hear a squeaking around coming from above they look up to see their clothes hanging from high up in the oak tree, a small fuzzy raccoon pops its head out wearing Davids pants on its head, David yells at the raccoon “Hey! Bring our clothes back!”

Simon chuckles as he walks over to the walnut tree and begins to climb up it gripping to every branch pursuing the raccoon slowly getting to the top he looks at the raccoon who is laughing at him and says “You don't scare me raccoon! You are like a little itty bitty kitten!”  then Out of nowhere a bunch of raccoons appears and continuously throw walnuts at Simon causing him to slip and fall knocking the wind out of him. David runs over making sure he is okay but gets nailed with walnuts also as he yells at them they toss down the clothes and scatters away once Stubby barks at them. David helps Simon to his feet then dusts off the dirt on their clothes and hands Simon his clothes and they get dressed.

These past few days have been fun I have learned to forgive David for what happened with Ruth and learned how I truly feel about him. Today we are going to try to find supplies we are running out of food, David has been letting me have most of his food which is really sweet of him but it has taken a toll on his health also. We think there might be some food at a gas station along this road..at least we hope.     

We reached an abandoned gas station that has broken windows and   plants and covered in cobwebs giving off a spooky feel, we took as much dried foods like beef jerky and nuts so they last a long while, we also took 3 large bottles of water each, I noticed David put something in the back of his pants but I didn’t see what it was but didn’t question him about it.

We left the gas station with a surprising amount of stuff saying it was abandoned we headed west of the gas station back into the woodline in search of some of some shelter even though the gas station could have provided good enough of shelter but it had no good place to sleep cause of all the broken glass lying around. I noticed David has been looking really pale as of late maybe it’s the curse starting to take its toll on him, maybe that will be me soon as well.

It starts to become dark as we head further into the woods to find a clear area to camp at. It seems like forever as we search for a clear area until we finally find a clear area, David wants to set up camp himself but I help him any way I think to myself, “He is very protective of me, I think he is letting it get in the way of his own well being, it’s starting to make me worry for him.”  

In the middle of the night I wake up and David is sweating I feel his head to make sure he is okay but he is hot to the touch I say in shock “David! You are running a fever we need to get you some medicine!” He looks at me and shakes his head no grabbing my arm he cries in a panic “ Please don't go! I'm fine…” I tell him I'll be fine and I leave Stubby in the tent with him while I go out to head back to the gas station to look for any medication that could have been missed by other looters.  

As I get to the gas station I search every shelf for antibiotics and paracetamol but there was only a single bottle of Penicillin along with Tyanial,  I think to myself “hopefully this will do the job.” I head back to camp and lay with David after giving him the medication he quickly falls asleep despite me being shorter than him I hold him anyways while Stubby lays at our feet.

Two days go by I wake up early to check on David he is no longer running a fever, I sigh in relief as I look at him blushing as I start to tear up from the thought of losing him.

After a few hours have passed David wakes up feeling better I look at him and blush as he walks out of his tent no longer looking pale.

“ugh, I had the weirdest dream when I was asleep Simon I dreamt of those images again from when we first found the book. ”  David says with a slight groan.

“Really? Well did it give any more insight into the meaning of the curse then?” Simon said inquisitively.

“The hooded rat was shown again and it was saying something about a mountain and that's all... Maybe there could be something in there that relates to the curse?” David said with a slightly hopeful tone.

“Let's get going we are off schedule, we will have to find the other piece of the map so we can figure out where to find the rat and how to cure this curse.” Simon says in an encouraging tone towards David.

David and I packed up our tents, we start walking again what seemed to be hours when the winds suddenly picked up howling as trees shook violently, rain soaking the soil turning it to sticky, slippery mud. We struggle to walk through it, our shoes sticking to the ground with every step; trying to find a place to seek shelter I slip losing a shoe  “nooo my favorite shoe!!!” I exclaim, now forced to walk with one shoe on as David picks me up and carries me for the rest of the way despite being soaked with water I blush as he carries me.

After a while of walking, we reach a dark, cold, wet cave David sits me down we notice Stubby is nowhere to be seen, David walks out in the rough storm in a search for Stubby; David heads out the wind whipping around pushes him from side to side as he struggles to stay on his feet, the further away he got the harder it was to see him until he disappeared from sight.

I wait worried, scared, cold, and hungry...I think to myself “Is this it? On a trip to save our lives but we die before we even have a chance to save ourselves?” I say to myself “I haven’t even had a chance to show how much I really feel for David...:” I come to the realization that tears are rolling down my face. I hear faint barking in the distance but can’t see a thing I start to wonder “Is it my imagination or is that really Stubby.” after waiting a bit I see Stubby run into the cave David was not too far behind I get up and hug him crying I fall to my knees and hug Stubby crying “Don't ever scare me like that again!” David hugs me and kisses me I start to blush before he could say I love you I shout crying “ I LOVE YOU SO MUCH DAVID!” He looks at me in shock he starts to blush and hug me he whispers in my ear “I’m glad to hear that Simon I was starting to think you were pretending to actually care…”  

It’s been three days since the storm started, Simon and David are running out of food once again in a cavernous cave, they found a couple of days ago. some old abandoned tents were in there, they use them as extra protection against the cold of the storm, David holds onto Simon to keep him warm inside their tent still struggling to be warm, they tried to get a fire going but just keeps getting blown out. They all hope that the store will subside soon.

That night Stubby starts barking repeatedly at something off in the distance waking both Simon and David who was sound asleep in their tent, they both climb out the same tent and rush over to Stubby looking out in the darkness realizing that the storm had subside but getting an eerie= feel like something is watching them, but they can’t see what it is.

“Hey boy what's wrong? Is there somebody there hey buddy?” David says to Stubby trying to calm him down but he keeps on barking.

“What do you think he is barking at David?” Simon says in a worrying tone.

“I don't have the slightest clue because I can't see anything at all… maybe it was a squirrel or something you know dogs will be dogs I guess, let's head back to bed” he says to Simon. They both head back into David's tent brushing it off as an animal but the feeling of being watched never subsides,  Stubby keeps on barking into the darkness not knowing what is about to come.

Moments after they fall asleep, a tall dark figure appears as lighting filled the entrance of the cave casting its shadow, it's eyes glow as green as emeralds. He turns his head 360 degrees like an owl surveying its surroundings. It sets its sights on the tent Simon and David are sleeping in and as soon it looked at the tent: the tall figure, David and Simon were gone as if they were never there leaving only the bag and tent behind which had the first part of the map inside, leaving Stubby to bark in a futile attempt to wake Simon and David…continuously barking through the night unaware of what just happened.

I bark repeatedly trying to wake my two owners but I no longer smell their scent I am worried, I stop barking and walk over to their tent and find that their bags and other belongings are still here, even the weird stick that lights up, I think they called it a “torch” was left shining a bright light into my eyes.

I look down at my front right leg to still see that it’s still mangled. The strange figure that took my owners was gone I didn’t know what it was it looked like a human but the scent it wasn’t, at the same time it had a small beak and big eyes and feathers on his face and it turned its head around like it had no neck. I look around for a trace of the two who have been taking care of me.

I remember the day I met the two I was looking in garbage bins for food when they walked out of this building that smelt really bad, these big metal machines would come to it to get something I think they call gas? Well anyway I started to follow the two until I stepped in something that grabbed my foot and wouldn’t let go I whined and growls for it to let go, I thought I was going to die until the blond headed kid was prying the thing off me, he smelt like sweat, whatever had a hold of my leg must have been strong.

After they freed me from the thing the other kid he was brown-headed he wrapped my leg up after a while it felt better, the two shared their food with me it was nice the kid that is called David started calling me Stubby, it was probably a mean joke due to my sustained injuries but it was a name nonetheless and I became very proud of it. The kid named Simon is my favorite human he treats me well and cuddles me and plays with me and always smiles when I wag my tail at him and calls me a good boy, I mean David does it too but it's not the same as when Simon does it… I miss him most of all.

I sniff their belongings to try to get a scent trail to attempt to find the boys, I finally pick up in their scent and I follow it through a very dark and very tall forest.

When I came to end of the trail it leads to a cabin in the woods with a well outside and a few graves nearby, it was very creepy looking but I sucked up my fear and went in to search for my owners. I crawled through a hole in the side of the cabin.  I hear...well I think I hear Simon or David yelling I don’t know which one. I investigate deeper into the cabin and come into a room with two chairs and a bed, nobody on neither the bed or the chairs, I move carefully not to make a sound creeping through the room hoping that it does not know I’m here… if it’s here for that matter. I hear the clanking of chains and heavy footsteps as I get closer to a cracked cellar door inside of the cabin instead of being outside which is really strangest thing I have seen In all my years of wandering they are normally outside.

The doors swing open with a big BANG! I Scoot into the corner before the thing could see me It walks out from the darkness I slip behind it going down into the cellar, It feels like forever going down the long steps each step I take seems steeper the reason having short legs is a disadvantage other dogs are taller than me but I’m just glad I’m not any shorter. It seems like miles but I finally reach the bottom of the stairs it was damp and dark and the only light that came through was the faint moonlight from the window at the top of the cellar trickling in.

The further I got into the cellar the more uncomfortable I  heard water dripping in the distance…..at least I hope its water..something out of nowhere run in front of me I yelp getting startled. It was only a paint can that dropped but either way it alerted whoever was upstairs, I hide underneath a shelf hearing the loud thuds of his footsteps down the stairs getting closer and closer kicking the paint can it hits a wall making a clicking sound as the paint oozes out onto the floor. It chants but  I don’t understand what it’s saying but it is causing my heart to hurt like somehow it is doing this to me. Maybe it already knows I’m here and I’m just trying to stall the inevitable… a few deadly silent seconds pass and I hear a massive crash and the place I was hiding was suddenly halfway across the cellar.

The thing looms over me but I take off running before it can do anything, I run down the seamlessly endless hallway but then…I pick up on someone’s scent it smells like…blood...Simons and Davids blood… I immediately expect the worst and as I run towards the scent to expect two lifeless bodies but I see both Simon and David very alive with their wrists covered in their blood from trying to get free from the ropes that are tied tightly around their wrists. They both shout to me almost as if they are telling me to run but I try and chew the ropes on their wrists able to loosen them a bit. I don’t notice but the thing managed to get behind me it was about to kick me when Simon tossed himself in front of me getting knocked to the wall he yelled at David to grab me and run before he blacks out...

David grabs me and runs out trying to find a way out of the cellar...I don’t know what happened to Simon but I’m scared for the worst...did the thing kill him…? No, I refuse to believe that I look up at David who has tears in his eyes as we finally escape the cellar. He pants trying to catch his breath after getting to a safe place to rest he breaks out crying. He looks at me and tells me to sit and stay but I don't listen cause I know he is going to try to go back and save Simon but...I don’t want to lose both my owners in one day…so I stop him from going the best I can.

I whimper in fear as he looks at me and he apprehends that I don't want him to go, he stays...He says come on we have to move before it catches up I will find a way to break this curse and then I will avenge Simon. He runs towards the cave we were camped at picking up their belongings and looking at the ripped map he starts to shake, I don’t know why though.

David looked distraught as he had to leave his boyfriend behind in the cabin with that monster he had thoughts of Simon being hurt or even worse killed by that thing whatever it is even tho he was sure that Simon is dead, he was sure to never forget how Simon sacrificed himself for him and Stubby to get away. He sat there curled up thinking of what he just witnessed the tall figure didn't even look human but it did at the same time, He knows he has to go back to retrieve the other piece of the map.

He heads back to the cabin with Stubby following close behind trying to avoid the low branches and thorns from nearby bushes, they reach the cabin and its as eerie as when they left it, the well was covered in moss like it was there for years maybe decades. He rereads the last part of the riddle Look for the wise and there you will find the other piece he stares at it confused.

“Look for the wise? What is that supposed to mean?” David said to himself looking at the riddle.

He looks around seeing a hole in a tree he goes over to it thinking to himself It must be an owls nest he reaches inside feeling around for any kind of paper but nothing, he looks around again realizing there is an old damp owl balanced on a cold pole with a pool of blood below, Stubby starts to bark at it, scaring it off but David covers his mouth to hush him up before they get caught. On the ground before them is the other piece of the map that fell out from the owl’s wings, he walks up and picks the piece up, he puts it in his pockets and reaches to the back of his pants and pulls out a gun.

He walks to the cabin walking inside looking around for the creature, Stubby wines not wanting him to go, They both are going slowly down the cellar steps, David is filled with rage seeking revenge for the loss of his loved one. He starts running down the stairs trying to attract attention when something comes out of nowhere he shoots...He takes a torch out trying to see if he shot the creature but it turned out it was...Simon.