Candy Land | Teen Ink

Candy Land

By mor-or-les, New York, New York
mor-or-les, New York, New York

“Mom I can’t sleep.” the small boy cried.

“Ok honey, wanna hear a story?” the mom said compassionately.

“Yes please.” the boy replied.

“So once upon a time in a world different than ours a small girl woke up in her bed…..” the boy’s imagination runs loose and sucks him into the story. A world filled with magical things such as men made out of tin and candy, superheros, and even dragons. The boy quickly realizes he is in this fairytale world that his mother was talking about. At first he stood in the middle of the road to admire all of the buildings made out of candy, snacks and kid toys. Then he quickly realizes he’s alone and tries to find the small girl his mother was talking about but couldn’t. “Come to the saloon. Today is the last day to try our legendary cupcakes for free!” screamed a talking twinkie. The boy runs over and nervously asks “sir where would I find this saloon?”. “Go down to the crooked clocktower and make a right until you reach the lego lagoon then turn left. You can’t miss it” he replied.

“Sorry I don’t understand anything you just said. This is the first time I’m out without my mom and I’m getting hungry” the boy said sadly

“What’s your name? I’m Alexander B. Cream. The B stands for beautiful”

“My name is Bobby”

“Follow me Bobby I can show you where the saloon is”

Alexander starts walking away and Bobby quickly follows him. Soon they arrive at a big building that looks like a police department. Alexander quickly grabs Bobby’s hand before he is able to run away and brings him in. “Hey sheriff we have another lost child” screams Alexander. After a few moments of waiting Alexander is greeted by the sheriff. “Hahaha you look like the poop sticker that mommy uses.” said Bobby hysterically. “Don't ever call me poop again. I might be short but I’m the sheriff here.” The sheriff says full of rage. “Sorry sir.” “I’m not a sir. I’m obviously a girl. My name is Amanda Ruffster but that's sheriff Ruffster to you.” Amanda and Alexander have a conversation about how to deal with Bobby. Bobby overhears some of it and learns that he isn’t the only kid who is missing parents. Amanda returns to Bobby “So Bobby how are you? We will find your parents soon.” “ I know where my parents are. I’m not from here.” “um ok sure where are you from then?” Amanda asks confusingly. Bobby answers all of Amanda’s questions then begins to question her. He learns about this new world called “Luma” and how a evil king called Campher. Many people just called him the evil king. Campher was this big, fat ogre. He was bald and spread havoc among the people who lived here. “Why hasn’t anyone tried to fight Campher and overthrow him?” Bobby asked. “I’ve secretly organized a team so for it only consists of Alexander and I. You can join if u want.” “Yea I would love to. LET'S GO BEAT THAT EVIL KING!” screamed Bobby. All of a sudden alarms went off and the whole police department was surrounded. “Aw man Bobby you can’t say that. Campher has camera’s almost everywhere so if he suspects a rebellions those people are sent to the chocolate pit. We need to run.” Amanda said cautiously. The group quickly gathered everything they could like food and weapons such as rubber band guns, twizzler whips and marshmallow cannons. The guards noticed them and tried to capture them. Rubber bands going back and forth destroying the gingerbread buildings in the area. The group ran as fast as they could until they ran into the saloon Alexander was talking about.

“BOSS WE HAVE A PROBLEM” screamed Alex.

“Come, run down here” a mysterious voice said from basement used to store all the soda.

The ragtag band quickly ran down and shut the door. They were greeted by a big smile from the boss. The boss was a giant jawbreaker who had twizzler arms and legs. Her name was jazzy.

“WELCOME WELCOME” Jazzy yelled with excitement. Jazzy was the type of person who always loved excitement and hated authority. “What the trouble we have today alexander?” she asked “We plan to overthrow Campher” alexander proudly proclaims. At first she is shocked but quickly becomes excited and wears a smug grin. “I've been planning this for years there’s a tunnel to his castle.” she says while escorting the crew. “ The tunnel is a few miles long but don’t worry I’ll be with you guys to show you the way”

“Are you sure you want to come it’s a dangerous mission?” Amanda asks

Jazzy replies with a wide smile and starts to lead the way. Hours later they arrive at the castle and are welcomed with thousands of soldiers. Bobby is the first to run towards the ocean of soldiers and is soon followed by the others but their resistance was futile. After being captured, they are brought to Campher who is currently eating donuts and listening to music. “Hello visitors. What brings you here?” He asks. No one replies so he screams “I ASKED YOU A QUESTION”. The group all become horrified and a tingling sensation runs down their backs. “We are here to overthrow you” says Bobby. “Oh are you really?” Campher asks rhetorically as he pulls out his rubber band gun and shoots it towards Bobby. Amanda quickly jumps in front of the rubber band and gets hit. Everyone gasps as Amanda slowly loses consciousness. Her last words were “ Don't lose”. As the group starts to run at Campher as they are filled with rage and sadness they hit an invisible wall. “I’ve finally found the one who is the true king” Campher proclaims. As the groups is stunned by confusion Amanda transforms into a beautiful candy diamond. Campher, then proceeds to explain how he was given the mission to find the true king of the land and has been waiting for over a hundred years. As the group starts to figure out how this happened and what this means Bobby suddenly disappears. His mom says “That was enough Bobby now it's time to go to sleep” “But mom it’s almost over can I pleassseeeeeee hear more?” “No honey it's bedtime now go to sleep” So there laid Bobby on his bed filled with sadness. It might have been a few minutes in the real world but for Bobby it felt like hours and he missed his new found friends. Years pass and Bobby is all grown up. He works as a lawyer and today he wanted to do something a little different so he goes to a new coffee spot. The coffee store is called saloon baboons. He enters the shop and walk towards the register to order a cup of coffee. He looks and sees a beautiful cashier and says “I would like a large coffee” all of a sudden he notices the name tag says “amanda”. He quickly looks around and sees Alexander B. Cream cleaning tables, Jazzy making the coffees and Campher stuffing his face. Amanda then whispers “Nice seeing you again. We’ve been waiting”.