The Ray of Sunlight | Teen Ink

The Ray of Sunlight

April 6, 2017
By HailsJane, Overland Park, Kansas
More by this author
HailsJane, Overland Park, Kansas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whoa-back the T-Rex up,"-Keefe Scencen, Keeper of the Lost Cities.


Author's note:

First story so I'm sorry. I'm open to corrections and tips. Thanks!

The author's comments:

This is sorta based off of Percy Jackson but the Percy Jackson,House of Night, and Keeper of the Lost Cities series inspired me and my brain did the rest. 

Im in the same nightmare that I've had for about a month. I'm running. Running with Hope through the forest. Following a boy about my age. He's yelling something inaudible at me. There's a dark spirit behind us. The boy is slashing at it with a sword. Hope is shooting it with bow and arrow. I'm using a sword and glowing stuff is shooting out of my hands. Actually all of our hands, blue from his, white from Hopes, and white,blue,scarlet, and green stuff from mine. I feel powerful. Then we enter a small town. And the dark spirit can't get us. I look at the boy and he smiles, "Well, James, you did good today, you too Hope." He says. He  kisses me. And I wake up. I'm covered in sweat and tangled in blankets. I'm breathing hard, as if I've been running a marathon. I walk to my bathroom and drink as much water as I can hold. Who is that boy? What's that glowing stuff? Why does he like me? I'm not likeable. I think as I stare at my reflection . Then I realize two things. One; it's my birthday, two; It's my 8th month on T. I got top surgery a couple months ago. I smile, happy with the person I see in the mirror.

Ok. This is where things get weird. I was swimming in the pool and after swimming for an hour, I'm still dry. And I could breath underwater. Then the next thing happens. I walk into the rec center and as soon as I sit down in front of the fire, the flames shoot up and turn blue half way up. Then I run outside and the wind blows in a tornado around me- it's not windy today. Then I walk to the back garden and all the dead plants grow as I walk by them. I run, looking for Hope. Then we collide. "I have to talk to you." We say at the same time. "You first." I tell her. She tells me the same thing that happened to me. We talk for a bit until the loud speakers say, "James,Hope,and Brea Ark please come to the front." We race each other to the front and on the way we see Brea wondering around. I pick her up. We then go to the front. The boy from my nightmare is standing there. I shakily hand Brea to Hope and walk to him. He smiles. "Hello James. I'm River. I need to talk to you and your sister." He says. "Oh, by the way, I'm River." I reach out and touch his face. "Your real... You-you- you came. You actually did." I say staring intently into his sea green eyes. He smiles. "So, you got my message?" He asks. Oh, I didn't tell you, did I. Ok so, I had a dream. River was in a room sitting on a bed. He was talking to me. This is how it went.
"James. James! Can you hear me?"
"Yes. Who are you?"
"I can't say but I'm coming for you! I'm coming to get you."
"Why?"
"You'll see in two days."
"Wha-what?"
"I can't say much but-...... bir-..day..not real...hope...but Brea is-"
And it went static. Yeah. Anyway I nodded and said "Yes." "Good." He replies. My hand drops to my side. We sit down on a couch and he explains about what happened earlier. He also explained that there was a camp that has demigods: kids who have a Greek god as a parent, and a human as a parent. And that we all had powers related to our parent. But we also have element powers that are related to our parent, for example:  Zeus, wind/air, (he's the god of the sky) Apollo: Fire (because of the sun) and Air (because the suns in the sky) Poseidon: water (duh) and Demeter or Dionysus: Earth. (Because they are all about plants).  And when we come of age (16) all the elements 'take interest' in us and after we take this test at Camp Graecus  (which I translated 'Camp Greek') our parent claims us and their element personifies through us as well.  When he was done explaining, I asked him, "Uh I have a question, so when you sent me the message, it was staticky. You said 'not real hope but Brea is' what did you mean?" He sighs. "Ok. This might be hard for you two...  Hope isn't your real sister. She was born and adopted the day you were born. That's why you are called twins but look nothing alike. But Brea is your real sister James." River says and rubs his temples. I look at Hope and realize that it's true.  She had straight brown hair and vibrant green eyes and I had slightly curly,dark golden hair and stormy blue eyes. We we absolutely nothing alike not just our looks but our personalities. Then I looked at Brea she has,again, slightly curly dark golden hair and stormy blue eyes. "Oh my lord..." I mutter. I shudder. I can't live without Hope. Hope doesn't meet my eye. She sighs and says, "I've known. Mom told me... When you were at Archery Camp I-I didn't want to say anything." I stare at her. "Ok, anyway you need to pack your bags, we have a long drive ahead of us." Says River, before more tension could build.  We nod and we go upstairs to pack. I walk into my room and I see my enemy and roommate, Kai, is in there. I walk to my closet and pull out my duffel bags and backpack. I put the bags on my bed and open my drawers. I pull out all of my clothes and start stuffing the stuff in my bag. Kai keeps throwing insults at me. I ignore him until I walk into the bathroom to get my medicines and other stuff. He's standing there holding my Testosterone bottle. I freeze, "Kai? What are you doing?" I ask cautiously. He smirks, "Oh, ya know," he tosses the bottle in the air and caught it before it touched the  tile. " Playing don't drop the T." I feel my hands shake. He keeps tossing it in the air. Then he holds in flat on his hand. It slowly falls towards the floor. It crashes against the floor and explodes open. The glass going everywhere. I cover my mouth, stifling a sob. I spent a long time to get that and save up enough money for it, I've been paying for all of my medication, and he just broke it. Not a lot people will understand why it hurts me. But it does. Then I imagined him drowning. Then the sink,toilet,and shower head explode with water and pointed at Kai. His cries were gurgled. I felt so guilty that I told the water to stop.  Kai was gasping for air. And coughing. "Freak! You're a freak! Freak!" He screamed running out of the room. I shakily walked-no ran- to my bed, grabbed my bags, and reached under my bed and opened the loose floorboards. I reached in and felt the cool,patterned grip of my bow. Next to it lay my quiver, full of arrows. I pulled them out, and put them carefully into a duffel bag. I ran downstairs and outside and collided into River. He held me steady, "You okay?" He asked. No. "Yes." He smiled knowingly and helped me put my stuff into the car. When he reached for the bag with the bow and arrows I pulled it away. Then smiled sheepishly, "Sorry, it's my bow and arrows." I say.  He smiles, "That's how I am with my sword." He says. I nod. When Hope walked out with Brea, I looked at her. "Shotgun!" I called and got in. I heard her mumble something about, 'every time.' I smiled.

River somehow manipulated the owner and everyone one else at the orphanage, that we didn't exist and stuff. "So where is this, camp?" Hope asks. "California." River says. We stare at him,(not Brea she's drawing.) We are in Ohio. We have to go to the opposite side of the country. "That'll take.... 6 days if we stop over night and have strict rest stops." I say. River nods. I twist to face Brea who is sitting behind River. "Hey Bre, can I have your mini for a second?" I ask her. She nods and looks through her Disney Princess backpack. She hands me her iPad mini.  "Thank you." I say and turn back around and type in her password. I start setting up a movie for her. While I'm doing that, Hope asks, "What about school?" Ah. Typical Hope. "Ok so there's a school a couple minutes from the Camp but it's an online school so we only go there for two days a week to check in on our classes." River says, backing out of the parking lot. He continues, "Each grade has a lounge where they hang out to do their home school work on laptops. There's comfy chairs and couches and desks all over. Oh and there's a snack bar." I look at him with glee. I. Love. Food. Hope falls asleep immediately and I give Bre iPad mini. River and I talk for hours before Hope wakes up and Brea makes me set up another movie. What I learned from him is that his godly parentage is Posiden, he likes Adele(agreeable), he likes Harry Potter, he's kinda obsessed with books. I looked him, he's really cute in a secretly geeky, but jockey, way. Definitely boyfriend material, I liked him, but does he like me? I tell him all about my childhood, how my dad got killed in a robbery, but my mom was a drug addict and died from overdose a couple months ago so I was kind of in the dark about my parentage. I told him about how I was pretty good at archery, poetry (I won the states poetry competition,) and that I was good at pretty much anything musical and medical. We talk for a while before I tell him about what happened with Kai. He frowned, "Serves him right, but why would he do that?" River asks. I shrug, "I dunno, he's always hated me." I say. It takes all my will power to not shudder and start crying. He's beat me up multiple times, if people do certain things, I freak out. He's so much like my mom it, well, scary. Little thing about me, I grew up in an unstable childhood. I shudder. As I think, I stare into space for a second I feel/hear a weird buzz in the back of my head- like.... whispers.  "Earth to James. You there?" Asked River, waving his hand in front of my face, his eyes on the road. I nodded, "Yeah." I said.

The 6 days go by without incident. Hope ignores me, but talks Rivers ear off. Brea wouldn't leave me alone. The 'whispers' get louder each day, I could hear them but not understand. On the 6th day of our road trip, I was giddy with excitement. We pulled up a hill and I felt a thing ripple through me. When I got out of the car, I sling my bow and quiver across my back. As I turned to River, two things hit me like a brick wall. One, he's really cute. Two, Hope has a crush on him.
Ah hell.
I feel my face flush as I turn away from him. I go to get Brea but Hope beats me to it. She sneers at me. I roll my eyes at her. I turn to walk away but Brea whines. "Buba! Come back!" I turn to her. "Yes Bre Bear?" I asked. She giggled at the nickname. She stretched her arms to me and leans away from Hope. I take her into my arms and Hope grumbles. We walk to a group of tall buildings. "The dorms." River explained. He pointed to a big pavilion with stone tables and wooden stools. "The dining pavilion, where we eat breakfast, lunch and dinner." He then pointed to a archery range. "Archery range, you take classes there, Apollo kids are usually there like 24/7." He pointed to stables. "Pegasi stables, you take classes there too." He pointed to an arena, "Sword fighting, pretty much any kind of fight training." He pointed to a grove, "Gardening grove, Demeters kids are there a lot." He pointed things out and told us who was usually there. Hope kept giggling. I was rolling my eyes so much that I probably looked like I was being possessed by Satan.
"And that is the tour. Who's gonna room with me?" River asks, winking at me. I give him one of my side smiles.
"Oh! I will!" Hope said jumping up and down.
I stared at her.
SHUT UP!! I thought.
She spinner on her heel to glare at me.
"What did you just say?" She asked, her eyes narrowed to slits.
"Nothin'." I said. Which wasn't a lie.
"Yes you did. You told me to shut up."
I stared at her.
"I didn't say a word." Again, not a lie.
"Yes you did."
"No I didn't."
"Yes you did!" She yelled, getting in my face.
I set Brea on a bench.
"Girl, I said nothin' of the sorts."
Ah-oh. I'm getting sassy.
THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN.
I glared up at her.
Yes.
Up.
I am like an inch shorter than her.
Yeah. T didn't cover the growth spurts.
Anyway, Hope turned to River, who held his hands up in surrender. "Hey! Don't look at me! But if you must know, he didn't say a word the whole time so..."
I silently thanked him.
Hope huffed. "But I heard you!"
I looked at her, "Girl you be delusional."
"But you said it. I will get revenge." She said. I stared at her amused.
"That's stupid."
"Oh trust me. You'll pay."
"The earth does not revolve around you. Stop and drop that stupid attitude. Yeah yeah, your getting way too comfortable, You play me as a fool, and you will loose." I sang the Trevor Moran song.
She rolled her eyes and turned to River again.
"I want to room with you." She said.
River smiled but said, "I was joking, James is rooming with me. Chirons orders. And girls and boys can't room together unless they're siblings and get along."
THANK THE GODS.
I nodded and side smiled again.
But on the inside?
I was grinning like an idiot.
Hope giggled, "Aw, well this Chiron takes away all the fun."
"EW!?" I screamed, covering my ears.
I gagged. Not even a fake one. Like a full on real gag.
"THATS GROSS!" Brea screamed.
I burst into a fit of laughter.
She was talking about me gagging but it sounds like she was talking about what Hope said.
River just looked awkward.
Hope was flirting with him and it made me mad.
I pretended to look at a watch on my wrist-which I don't have.
"Anytime now Hope. Done confessing your love for him?" I asked.
Hey, I know I probably shouldn't have said that but I mean, come on! It was getting really, really, really, annoying!
Hope glared at me and looked about  ready to claw my throat out.
River turned away from Hope and said, "Lets go see who your parents are."

OMYGODTHISPARTYISAWESOME.
River lead us through a crowd of teens.
I saw a group of well built men and beautiful women.
The gods.
Holy s***.
I'm not prepared for this.
River lead us up to them.
I was ready to pass out.
He walked to one of the gods,he had tousled brown hair and sea green eyes. There was a striking resemblance between the two.
Poseidon.
River hugged him.
I scanned the gods and goddesses.
Then, BAM!
I fell to my knees, Brea crying out in protest.
He turned to face me.
He had dark brown hair with natural blond highlights, high cheekbones, and warm blue eyes that reminded everyone of a sunny sky.
He was the perfect mirror of my face-except he looked like he was 27.
"Oh my gods." I said.
His eyes widened.
"Dad?" I squeaked.
"James? Brea?" He asked. He jogged over and slid on the floor, and then hugged us.
I cried into his shoulder. Brea hugged him as tight as she could even though she probably doesn't remember him much.
Then 25 kids jogged up. (Yes I counted.)
"Sup Dad!"
"Hey dad."
"Hi dad."
"What's up dad?"
"Who's that dad?"
I almost fainted.
I HAVE 25 OTHER SIBLINGS.
Omygawd.
I pulled away and wiped my face.
"Apollo is your dad. Wow. Did not expect that." River said.
I nodded and looked at the group.
Then I realized that they were all wearing a bow and quiver.
All of them.
Even me.
Odearlord.
I waved shyly. "Hi, I'm James. This is my little sister Brea." I said.
Dang. I was surprisingly calm.
The calm before the storm.
They all waved.
"Whoa." Said one them, fanning the air between me and her.
"Those are intense emotions." She said.
I looked at her confused but shrugged.
Then I heard them.
"Whoamygod."'I said, staggering back.
Apollo held me steady.
"What's wrong?"
I sucked in a deep breath.
"Wh-why can I... Why can I hear your thoughts?" I asked everyone and no one at the same time.
Everyone except one boy was silent.
"WOAH!!MY BROTHER IS A TELEPATH TOO? THIS IS SO COOL!" He freaked out.
He sounded like he had waaaaay to much caffeine.
Oh gods.
"Telepath?" I asked. Everyone nodded.
THEIR THOUGHTS. I KNOW WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT ME.
"You okay?" River asked.
I shook my head and said, "Ewwwww. Ok. Zola. Did NOT need to know that."
Some kids giggled.
"And yes I know I look gay. Shut up because I am. Now go away." I muttered.
River coughed awkwardly.
Thank the lord he was the only one who heard.
I rubbed my temples.
"Can it stop now?" I begged.
Apollo handed me a long chain necklace. On it, was a teal crystal with gold flecks.
I slipped it over my head and instantly the voices/thoughts quieted to a soft buzz.
"Better?" Apollo asked.
"Ohmygoodnessgracianyasthankyousomuch." I breathed.
A couple kids from Aphrodite shouted, "Nice Joey Graceffa reference!!''
I giggled.
I think I found my people.
******************************
Over the next hour I was introduced to all the 457 kids who lived there and all the gods.
Let me just say, it was... very overwhelming. Especially when I met Aphrodite.
I mean, I wasn't attracted to her but dang she was bea-u-ti-ful.
Again, not attracted, but I had to appreciate the beauty.
And when I met Zeus.... well let's just say he hates me.
This is how it went:
I walked up to him, said hi, bowed... ya know, whatever else you do when you talk to the king of the gods. He glared at me the whole time.... tough crowd am I right? Anyway, the thing that set him off was when I told him that he has a weird aura.
Yeah.
HEY. I DIDNT KNOW I HAD AN AFFINITY THINGY CALLED "TRUE SIGHT" SO DONT LOOK AT ME!
So that happened.
Brea was clinging to my neck the whole time.

I socialized a bit with my half siblings and some of the Aphrodite kids. I became close with a guy Damien. Whos gay ironically because Damien/Damian is the devils name or some s*** like that. 

Anyway he introduced me to his circle of friends,Ash, my half brother,  Joel, son of Ares, Arianna, son of Athena, Lilly, daughter of Demeter, Echo, daughter of Zeus (not the nymph) and Sammy, son of Hephaestus. Damien said that he was going to introduce me to River but knew that we were already friends. 

We all had fun, I gave Brea to Hope for awhile while I hung out with the group. We all got along really well. 

Me and Ash were already tackling each other. I always lost. 

I had so much fun hanging out with River and the others that when my head hit the pillow, I was asleep until noon. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.