Livin' In East Los Angeles | Teen Ink

Livin' In East Los Angeles

By SwagmasterCarlos, San Diego, California
SwagmasterCarlos, San Diego, California

Author's note:

IDK

I give up.

Chapter 1

“I feel a warm gush of red liquid running down my chest,i feel cold but at the same time warm,I look down and realize that i’ve been shot.As i gaze up at the sky i see my friends carrying me away and a hear a faint scream and barking dogs.”Nicolas wakes up with his forehead and finds out it was only a dream.He hears another scream again only to see that it was his little sister,who happened to be the one who wakened him. He throws off his blanket and walks over to the kitchen half-asleep with one eye open and sees his mom cooking some food.

She asks”Quieres Comida Mijo?”(Want food son?)

Nicolas mumbles “Yea.”

Nicolas sits in the table with his little brother Ricardo and his mom and begins to eat.”So how are you doing in school?”asks his mom.’’

“He responds fine i guess.”Responds Nicolas as he quickly finishes his food.

He gets dressed and says Bye to his mom and heads off to school.On his way to his bus stop he runs into Leo who is his best friend and a member of his gang,the walk to the bus stop.The bus arrives,the bus driver rolls his eyes and sighs every time he sees Nicolas and Leo.They are the noisiest kids in the entire bus and throw papers and pencils across the bus.They were almost permanently kicked off the bus,but since they had no other way of transport they had to keep riding the school bus.
    Nicolas is 16 and goes to Fremont High School,as soon as he gets to the school him and friends go hang out at the handball courts.They live in East L.A. where everything is dangerous.You can’t walk through any alleys without encountering a couple of cholos.All the streets are tagged up and there are hardly any street lights so it’s very sketchy to try to walk through the neighbourhood by yourself at night.Nicolas is tall and slim with short curly hair,he has a tattoo of a tear drop under his eye because his father was killed right in front of him during a shooting by the Nortenos.Loud rap music is always playing as they laugh and play handball.Sometimes they just hang out on some tables on the far side of the school and make fun of people who pass by and check out girls.Nicolas has good grades but a bad citizenship.

Chapter 2
There are two gangs in Fremont High school,they are “Los Norteños” and “Los Sureños”.Nicolas is a Sureño.The two gangs out on different sides of the school.

Nicolas exclaims to Leo”Never go walking about the school by yourself ese or you're gonna get your a** jumped by a couple of Norputos.”

Leo responds”I know foo, that’s why I always carry my blade just in case a couple of those chapetes try to start some sh**.”

Nicolas first joined the gang when he was 13. The reason he wanted to join is because he thought he’d be safer inside the gang and also thought it would be cool. Most of his family are or have been in the gang or are ex-members.His uncle Rico is one of the main leaders in the gang and is buff.His uncle Rico has a shaved head,wears a bandana,a white shirt with dickies pants and is probably the strongest since he lifts weights a lot.You can spot him from a mile away and you can see the bulging veins from his arms, and if he is angry a vein from his forehead pops out and from his neck.

Leo,Nicolas’s best friend is also a member of the Surenos.To Nicolas he is like a second brother,they are always hanging out together.Leo has short spiky hair and is tall jus like Nicolas but is a bit more thicker from excersising.He likes to dress with all black clothing with a simple plain shirt some dickies shorts and long white socks. He also has a tattoo but he has three dots meaning “Crazy Life”.He is rowdy and tough.

Nicolas and Leo are big troublemakers in school.They are always getting into fights with other kids at school and have been suspended multiple times.

Nicolas,“Ey check out that kid.”

Leo,”He’s dressing too hard man,we better check him.”

Nicolas and Leo walk up to the person as he’s walking and say, ”Where you from ese?”

He quickly responds, “I’m a Norteno holmes so don’t try to mess with me.”His name is Frankie and he is an active member of the Nortenos

Leo says, “We gotta teach you a little lesson about crossin on our turf.”

Frankie pulls out a blade,then they hear somebody yelling,”Stop!”

Then they see that it’s one of the teachers so they run away so they don’t get caught.
They hop one of the fences and they end up out of school,they run to Leo’s house since nobody is home.But then they stop a quarter of the way  to catch their breath.

Nicolas tells Leo while out of breath,”Damn we almost got caught and that Norputo got away.”

Leo responds,”Yeah but hopefully that teacher didn’t know who we were or see our faces,or were gonna be in big trouble.”

Nicolas replied, “Yeah but we gotta back because if they're gonna be looking out to see who hasn’t appeared for their next periods.”

Leo agreed, “Let’s hope the Norteno doesn’t bring any friends or something crazy is about to go down.”

They start walking back to school.As they are walking they see a cop car pass by so they duck behind some cars.The police car parks right across the street where their school is to buy something from a liquor store. So as soon as he’s not looking they make a run for it and sprint towards the school.Then they jump or the same rusty fence to get inside.Luckily it was still passing period and they had to go to 4th period so they ran to class since they had less than a minute to get there.

Halfway during their 4th period class one of the staff called for Leo to come to the main office.Leo was sure that they were getting called up for the fight but he was carrying a switch-blade, so he quickly handed it to one his friends that was a girl that he knew wouldn’t rat him out.

As they were walking he threw his bandana behind a trash can.He wound up in the principals office.

Principal Rodriguez asked, “Were you the one starting all the commotion?”

Leo mumbled,”No.”

Principal Rodriguez asked him a few more questions and said that he was going to have to talk to him tomorrow.After school they got on the bus and went home.Nicolas went straight home and his mom began to yell at him.

“Why do you have to get into all that gang bulls**t and start doing things like that?”,Says Nicolas’s mom.

“You don’t understand Ma it’s complicated.”replies Nicolas

“It’s because of your father isn’t it? Just because he was doing that doesn’t mean you have to too.He was doing the same things you’re doing and look where he ended up ”says Nicolas’s mom

Nicolas responds,”If it wasn’t for those punk a** police he wouldn’t be in prison right now”

Nicolas’s mom shouts“That doesn’t mean you have to do the same mijo,you used to have good grades and you weren't doing all these stupid things.”,She says more calmly,”Please just go to your room,I don’t want to deal with this kind of stress right now.”

Nicolas knew how she felt so he went straight to his room and said,”I’m Sorry.”

He falls asleep and wakes up around 6 and leaves straight to Leo’s house without saying anything to anybody in his house.He arrives at Leo’s house and sees him deep in sleep and it smells like weed in the air.He finds the joint in his hand still burning and he takes it away so he doesn’t ignite the couch.

Nicolas,”Hey wake up man.“,
Nicolas shakes him a couple of times and then Leo awakens.

Leo rubs his eyes and looks  at Nicolas with one eye open and says,”Let me sleep foo.”

Nicolas says,”Get up i ain’t got time for games right now.”

Leo gets up and says,”What’s so important that you had to wake me up?”

Nicolas sighs and replies,”I have to deliver a package to one of my customers.”

Leo sees Nicolas holding a block of Marijuana and gazes at it and responds,”Damn,who is going to buy that much from you!?”

Nicolas responds,”Some major pothead i met in the skate park a few weeks back.”

Leo sighs and says,”Lets go then.”

Nicolas and Leo start walking out of the house and they walk through all the dark alleys and streets.They arrive near the skatepark and they see the guy who is buying their weed.They whistle to get his attention and he jogs up to them.He looks like he is already stoned.He hands them the wad of cash and they give him the drugs.The stoner guy stuffs them into his backpack and leaves.

Nicolas tell Leo,”Good thing i grow this stuff myself,so i can stay with the money.”

Leo asks,”Really where do you even grow it and does your mom know about this?”

Nicolas responds,”I grow it in my uncle's backyard,he lives by himself and he’s perfectly fine with it.Also,he has agreed to not tell anybody if he gets 5%of the money sold from it.”

Leo says,”Damn dude,thats crazy.”

They walk back on to Leo’s house and watch a quick movie and eat some chips.By the time Nicolas heads back home,it’s about 11 and he hopes his mom hasn’t noticed that he’s left.When he gets home he finds his mom asleep and creeps over to his room and goes to sleep.

He wakes up with his head feeling sweaty and wiping off his drool.He walks towards the door and suddenly a few rats crawl under his door into his room,he jumps back and tries to smash one with his shoe.He picks up the shoe and start bashing the floor trying to hit the rats.His mom comes in to see what all the commotion and she screams.His mom grabs the mouse traps and sets them outside of the bedroom door and Nicolas tries to lead them out.The rats get caught in the trap and they don’t know what to do with them so she just throw them into the garbage can outside.

Nicolas continues his day and gets dressed.He realizes he’s late for school because of the time they spent trying to catch the rats.When Nicolas got dropped of at school he remembered about the rats and how helpless they looked stuck in a trap and he cringed.He walks off to go look for his friends,he finds them in the usual spot. He’s laughing and talking to his friends until the principal spots him and brings him to his office.

Neither Nicolas,Leo,or Frankie say a word to the Principal about what happened.They decided they wouldn’t handle it in school,but in the streets. They were suspended for two days,the three of them were sent home for that day also. While they were out Nicolas and Leo just hung out with the older gang members and the ones who had dropped out of high school,the only member to have graduated high school was Leo’s older brother Rafael who left the gang to succeed in bigger things.

The oldest member of the gang who is an OG is Juanito who is 52.He was one of the main leaders in the gang back in his time.He spent about a quarter of his life in prison for drug possession and stabbing a Norteno.

A few days later Nicolas and Leo and his uncle go to deliver a package of drugs to the Mafia,but this time it’s a big load of drugs.It’s 20 pounds of Marijuana,Cocaine,Meth,and Heroin.They have to take a truck to deliver it.They get on the freeway and they are then on their way.They’re just laughing and cracking jokes until they hear a police siren.They are then stopped by the police.

“I knew I shouldn’t have gone through with this,imma go to prison for this crap.”Says Nicolas.

“Relax foo,nothing is gonna happen, after this were just gonna drive away and deliver the package and walk away with a ton of cash.”responds Uncle Rico.

“Just act natural,everything is gonna be ok.”Leo says.

“Ok.. Ok.. lets just get through with this and get the hell back home because I don’t want to be here right now.” says Nicolas nervously.

The police officer steps up to the window,and Rico says.”Is there a problem officer?”

The police officer replies, “Are you aware that your tail light is out?”

Rico responds wiping the sweat off his forehead,”Oh really?Sorry officer i’ll get home as soon as possible and fix that.”

The police officer walks back into his car and drives away.As soon as he leaves they all look at eachother and sigh.Leo bursts into laughter from seeing Rico so nervous when he was talking to the cop.Rico laughs nervously and slaps Leo on the back of the head.They then go to deliver the package.

They then proceed to deliver the package.They arrive at the address they received and it’s a large house.They step inside and they see everybody in in semi-formal clothes.Everybody stares at them as they walk inside and then they talk to the main leader. The main person sits in his chair holding a glass of wine and a burning cigar.He tells the to take the truck to the back of the house  to unload it.They help take off the drugs and give them to the Mexican mafia. The Main guy walks up to the drugs and tests them and sees that they’re in good condition so he gives the money to Rico and even gives him a little tip for delivering such good quality drugs.

Rico heads back and drops off Nicolas and Leo,he gives them each $500 from the money he made selling the drugs. On the drive back Nicolas completely blanks out. He starts hearing laughter,he remembers playing on his front yard seeing his mom and dad hugging eachother on the front porch. He remembers the cold fresh feeling of the water on his when he would play with the hose with his cousins and friends. A sudden stop on a red light wakes him up.He can hear again, he hears his uncle rico curse a few words in spanish and snaps back into reality.

Nicolas wishes he was still a kid,having nothing to worry about in the world,now he has to watch out for every single little thing. His biggest fears are to end up getting jumped by an enemy gang or even killed.He is especially cautious of his mother, because if she gets deported where will he go?

Meanwhile Rico and Leo are listening to rap from the radio.Nicolas notices that he is close to his house and he squishes himself towards the door and grabs the car door handle ready to get out,then Rico drives right past his house.

“Hey my house is back there.Where are we even going?”Nicolas exclaims

Rico turns around and says,”To go smoke a blunt at my pad.”

Nicolas replies,”I don’t have time for this,it’s already late and my mom’s gonna get angry if she finds out.”

Rico casually says,”I’ll just tell her that there was an accident on the freeway and we got caught in in traffic or that we ran out of gas or something,I don’t know man.”
Nicolas hesitates,”But I need to go home and i’m tired.and I got’s things to do.”

Rico rolls his eyes and makes a quick U-Turn and heads over to Nicolas’s house to go drop him off. They get to Nicolas’s house and Nicolas hops off the car.

Leo sticks his head out the window and yells”Wuss!”Nicolas raises his hand and flips him off without even turning around. As soon as he opens the gate to get inside he hears the car drive off and disappear into the darkness of the night. He slowly opens the door and sticks his head inside and checks the clock to see what time it is.The clock reads 11:00 PM,Nicolas tip-toes his way towards his bedroom and just flops onto the bed and falls asleep.

*Gasps*Nicolas is awakened and he feels out of breath.He was having a good dream and it suddenly turned very bad. He checks the clock and it is 4 AM.Nicolas was awakened by a loud noise,he checks around the house and finds nothing,so he heads outside to go investigate.He looks around and sees nothing then he hears a loud scream,there is a woman lying in the street bleeding to death from a stab wound.He quickly takes a look around to see if whoever did it was still there.He sees a dark figure running away into the darkness.

She is yelling ”Help Me!”,in spanish.He quickly runs into the house and grabs a cellphone and yells for his mom to come outside.He runs over to the woman and is carrying a cloth,he wraps a cloth around her stab wound to stop the bleeding.

Nicolas tells her “It’s going to be okay.”He can see the fear in her eyes,he sees the tears running down her face. Meanwhile Nicolas’s mom is calling the police,she stutters a little bit when talking to the police in fear the lady losing her life. Nicolas’s mom tries to tend to her wound and Nicolas looks and thinks “Why would they do this to this innocent woman?” She looked mexican and Nicolas thought maybe she didn’t know how to talk english.Tears run down his face as he sees neighbours coming out of there homes to assist and some just staring out of their windows.

They hear a faint sound of an ambulance and it grows higher and higher until it arrives.The paramedics tell everybody to step away, they take the woman as she is groaning in pain. Nicolas’s mom grabs a coat and the car keys from inside of the house.The grabs Nicolas and tells him,”Let’s Go”

Nicolas responds ,“Where?”

Mom replies with tears in her eyes, “What if this lady has no family or friend,Who is gonna be there for her?!”

Nicolas doesn’t respond and jumps in the passenger seat of the car.

They follow the ambulance all the way to the hospital.They got out and run over to the paramedics as they are taking her in through the emergency room.

“Is she gonna be okay?”,asks mom.

The paramedic replies,”She is unconscious right now but hopefully she’ll make it.” They are eventually led to the room where they’ll begin to operate.Nicolas and his mom try to get in but they aren’t allowed,so they head over to the waiting room. Nicolas sits there feeling nervous but also sleepy at the same time because the incident had happened so early. As Nicolas and his Mom are beginning to fall asleep one of the doctors tell them the can go and see the lady,they jolt up and begin quickly walking towards her room.They step inside and she is just fine,when she sees Nicolas and his mom she smiles and tears come out of her eyes.

She begins to talk in spanish,”Gracias por salvar mi vida.”(“Thanks for saving my life.”)

“It’s all good,what is your name,and how old are you?” responds mom.

The lady responds,“My name is Silvia and i am 19 years old”

Mom asks, “Do you have any friends or family who can come and visit you?”

Silvia shakes her head.

“Why not?” asks mom.

“Because I barely arrived to the United States and all my family lives back in mexico, I came all the way from guatemala.”responds silvia.

“Do you at least have a place to live?” Asks mom.

“Right now i don’t but as soon as I get a job i will.”replies Silvia

“You know,you can come and stay with us at our house.” replies Mom.

“No,that’d be too kind of you,you have already saved my life and that is too much  debt to you both already.” responds Silvia.

“It’s fine we have an extra bedroom where you can stay.” responds Mom while smiling.

Silvia smiles and her eyes start to get watery again.”Thank you,I don’t know to repay you.”

“As soon as they let you get out you can come home with us.” Silvia stays in the hospital for the night and the next day she is given medicines and things to help reduce the pain. Nicolas doesn’t go to school because he would've been exhausted from having stayed at the hospital. Nicolas’s mom gives her some of her clothes to wear since all of Silvias clothes got left behind at the scene where she got stabbed. They take her to the house.

“Sorry for the house being a mess.”says Mom to Silvia.

“Oh it’s nothing compared to how messy the house was back in Mexico.”responds silvia while half-smiling.NIcolas quickly cleans the couch so Silvia can sit,they slowly let silvia down on the couch.

“Are you hungry,do you need anything to eat?” asks Mom.

“Sure i’ll take something to eat,I haven’t eaten in days on the way here.”responds Silvia.

“Then you must be starving then.”Mom replies.

Nicolas’s mom heads over to the kitchen and makes Silvia huge breakfast and some for Nicolas too.Nicolas and his Mom bring the food to Silvia.”Thank you.” says Silvia.

Nicolas says”Well i’m beat i’m going to bed.”

Silvia responds,”Sweet Dreams.”Nicolas smiles and heads over to his bedroom and closes the door.

“If you need anything just call me i’ll be cleaning.”
Silvia nods her head.

The next morning Nicolas wakes up he surprisingly slept the whole entire day. He feels his feet cold and sees the blanket on the floor,he thinks in his head “Just five more minutes then i’ll get up.”,but he knows he’s gonna fall asleep for hours so instead he walks over to the bathroom. He touches the cold knob of the bathroom door and can hear the loud creaking of the door when he opens it.He walks over to the sink and begins to stare at himself in the mirror,he can see the dark bags under his eyes from not getting enough sleep. He rubs his eyes,lets out a yawn and stretches then scratches the back of his head.

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

“Is she gonna be okay?”,asks mom.

Silvia shakes her head.

“Why not?” asks mom.

Silvia nods her head.

Chapter 5
He can hear footsteps coming from the outside of the door. He looks to the door and sees that it’s been opened he looks over towards the window and sees that the glass is broken,he thinks maybe it was an accident and his mom was probably injured.He walks to the door and hears footsteps and muffled screams,he slowly and quietly picks out his butterfly knife from his drawer,then he slowly open the door holding the knife behind him. He looks peaks out the door and sees silvia and his mom tied up to chairs with their mouths covered in duct tape. He quickly runs over to them and cuts the rope binding them to the chair and then he sees silvia point her finger at something and try to yell but its muffled.

As soon as he turns around he sees a man dressed in all black with a hoodie covering his face. He tries to punch Nico in the face but Nico ducks it and punches the man with all the force he’s got in the stomach,the man is down for a few seconds clenching his stomach,he pulls out a large blade and goes for Nico.Nico realizes he is going to have to be fast to get this guy,the man runs to Nico and tries to stab him but misses. Nico goes for the man’s shoulder on the arm in which he is using the large blade,he hits him and can feel the blade sink into the man's skin. The man screams begins to clench his shoulder trying to take out the blade,Nicolas can feel the warm blood dripping on his hands and then he pulls out the blade and stabs the man in the leg so he can’t get up.Nicolas jumps on top of the man and begins to yell at him.

“Why are you doing this,why are you trying to hurt my family?!” He starts punching the man in the face multiple times until the man stops struggling.

Silvia and Nicolas’s mom scream and say,”Don’t kill him!”

Nicolas is filled with rage and anger so he keeps punching.Nicolas’s mom pulls him off the man and then Nicolas realizes what he’s doing.Nicolas,his mom and Silvia all hug each other and then Nicolas says letting out tears,”He can’t hurt either of you anymore.” He steps out of the house and goes to the backyard and says,”I need to take a breath.”Silvia grabs the house phone and calls the police,she hands the phone to Nicolas’s mom since she can’t speak much english then Nicolas’s mom explains the whole story.

When the police get to the house they arrest Nicolas and take him to jail while they investigate what happened. The man ended up having serious severe injuries and he almost ended up dying. The case was taken to court and they were doing a trial on Nicolas.Nicolas,his mom and Silvia explained why he was innocent. They judge insisted that he was guilty and he ended up being sent to prison.

Nicolas’s mom is begging and pleading that they let go of Nicolas.
”My baby has done nothing wrong,he is the one who saved us from the man who invaded our home.” The judge payed no attention.Even the people in the jury thought it was outrageous.

The judge responds,”He gave the man an extensive beating even after he was already dead,he could've left the man alone after he was already down and couldn’t assault either of you anymore.”

Everybody are all ears and have their eyes wide open,the judge says,”The boy is guilty”.Everyone is now staring at the judge as he is about to confirm his decision,Nicolas can feel his heart beating so fast and he is scared for his life. The judge is holding the gavel in his hand and Nicolas can see it slowly moving downwards about to hit the table,then he hears the sound of the gavel pounding against the table.Nicolas’s mom lets out a cry and begins to weep.As they take away Nicolas,Silvia holds Nicolas’s mom back as she tries to run to Nicolas to give him a hug,Nicolas’s is mom is yelling and telling the guards to let go of him and then Nicolas and the guards are out of the door and Nicolas’s mom can hear the door slam shut and then her son is no longer in sight.
Chapter 6

Chapter 7
Nicolas is in prison,it is visiting hours and his family and Silvia are there to see him.Nicolas walks over to the phone in order to talk to his family and sees his little brother,Nicolas’s eyes get watery and he begins to cry as he sees his little brother witnessing his older brother being in prison. Nicolas picks up the phone and so does Ricardo.

“I miss you big brother.”says Ricardo and he starts to cry.

Nicolas can barely hold back his tears,he replies,”I know little bro i’ll be out soon then we’ll be able to play Playstation just like we would always do.”

“Ok big brother.” responds Ricardo.Ricardo passes the phone to his Mom.

“Oh Mijo,why did this have to happen,that judge is wrong you are perfectly innocent.Don’t be doing anything stupid while you're in there,just take care of yourself and try to avoid any contact with all those bad people.” says Mom to Nicolas.

“Yes,i know ma i’ll try the best i can and hopefully I can get out earlier for good behavior.” replies Nicolas

“I love you son”,says Mom as she passes the phone to Silvia.
Chapter 8

Meanwhile in the prison cafeteria.”Ey did you see that big buff black guy?I heard he killed El Crazy Clown when he got out of prison.”says Juan, a member of La Onda.

“Really? That foo Crazy Clown decided he was gonna change his life and quit the gang.He wanted to live a peaceful life with his family and take care of his kids.” says Eddie also a member of La Onda.

“Man that blows,he could've had it good and seen all his family and friends from the outside.” responds Juan.

“Yeah,did you know that he hasn’t seen his son in over 10 years? He got sent to the Pen when his baby boy was only one year old.” replies Eddie.

“Damn,you know i only got two years until i’m done with this bullshit and out of prison.” replies Juan.

“You’re lucky i still got 6 years being stuck here.” responds Eddie.

A bell rings and their time in the cafeteria is over and all the guards tell them to go to their cells.Nicolas looks around the inside of the prison,it is a large building with many floors and guards watching from above and guards surrounding the whole place.

Chapter 9
Nicolas goes to his cell,on his way there he has an encounter with one of the main leaders of the white gang.He ends up running into him and they knock their heads together.

“Hey you better watch where you're going! says Will from the white gang.He throws a punch at Nicolas and hits him straight in his face hitting his nose. Nicolas tries to go for a swing but a guard grabs his arm and stops him. Both will and Nicolas are handcuffed and then sent to their cells.

Nicolas is uncuffed when he gets into his cell.He touches his nose and can feel the blood,he wipes it off with his shirt.Juan is in the cell right next to Nicolas and begins to talk to him.

“Ey man you’re gonna let that guy lay a hand on you on not do anything about it?” says Juan.

“No,watch what i do tomorrow.”says Nicolas then he grins.

The next day they are allowed to work out and lift weights.Nicolas picks up a dumbbell and begins heading towards Will and his gang’s direction. Some of the La Onda members start following too.

He sees will on the bench and hits him in the face with the dumbbell and repeatedly hits him until he is no longer alive. Then Nicolas ends up getting a lethal injection and dies.

The End