The Adventures of The HIll Dwarves | Teen Ink

The Adventures of The HIll Dwarves

By daniel nagy, San Diego, California
daniel nagy, San Diego, California

The Adventures of The hill dwarves

“Wake up Yrokl” whispered Glenda.

Yorkl grumbled and turned over. “Cmon Yrokl” said Glenda.

Yrokl said nothing and turned over again. Glenda grew tired of the nonsense and said, “Up you go!”

She reached under him and sent him flying twoards the edge of the bed, landing with a sound thud. Yrokl groaned and stood up, towering at four and half feet tall, on of the tallest dwarves in his town. He glanced around his room, his bed was clean, except for the part of which he rolled out of, the pillows sort of hard as they always have been, the walls mined out of the stone, with intricate designs all over the walls. His door was of fine-cut maple. Yorkl then looked over to his sister, Glenda, standing there with her arms crossed, dressed in a blue nightgown, her green eyes on Yorkl and her brown hair tied up in a bun. “You your are going to miss breakfast Yrokl!, get up to the table so you can get some food in your belly before you go off to do your days tasks!” scolded Glenda. “Ill do them soon Glenda” assured Yorkl. Glenda walked out of the room and back into the tunnels, as soon as the door closed yorkl went to work and suited up for the day, his mining pants, his heavy shirt, his tough shoes, and his prized possession, his pick. His pick was made of the purest mythril, that he mined himself. He started towards the door, his gear adorned and his pick swinging at his side. Before he went out his door he looked at the faerie fire in the middle of the room, it burned but was not hot, it was one of the few magics that the dwarves had except for the enchantments on their weapons and armor. Yorkl looked at it one more time then left for the dining table. When he got there everything was a mess, plates everywhere, lilluns running under the tables, dwarves trying to eat their meal, and Glenda cooking for the hungry dwarves. Yorkl went over to Glenda to get his meat and greens, when he got to glenda after barely missing three children “Its a madhouse in here, yeve got to help me!”

“I can't! I need me breakfast, im as useful as tired mule without breakfast!”

“alright then, but the moment you finish it ye come here and help with all this nonsense”

“alright, alright”

Yorkl went to his specal spot, up the timber ladder up to the meager second floor he went to the corner where there was a big beam overhang. The shadow of the beam landed flat on top of Yorkl, just how he liked it. He sat down and started to eat his meal of meat and radishes. It was a little salty, but it was hearty and filling, enough for a hard day of work. Yorkl made his way back to glenda and helped settle things down a bit. Yorkl then headed down to the mines, content and happy. When he got down to the mines he went to his usual spot and started mining, singing his tune as he went deeper. “Wow” Glenda sighed as she settled down to have breakfast of her own, “normally it isn't this busy.” Once she finished her meal she decided to go down to the armory and catch a lesson before the class was full. When she got there the students were sparring with each other and Kgeds was coming by to each one of them and giving them little tips here and there. When Kgeds was finished showing the student, he looked up and saw glenda, before he had seen her and thought how beautiful she was, but today she was even more magnificent than usual. Kgeds stumbled over to glenda “why have you come glenda?”

“I would like another lesson”

“Again?, you just had one yesterday”

“I want to be prepared incase something happens Kgeds”

“Ok then, let us begin”

After a few hours of mining and finding some iron, coal and a small emerald yorkl was heading back up and decided to try one more time, he set down his sack of ores and gem and looked for a good place to start. Yorkl swung his pick and instead of hearing the satisfying “chink!” he heard a distinct ringing sound that left his pick buzzing in his hands. Yorkl paused and wondered what to do, he never saw something do that, he inspected the hole and found that there was a little bit of a corner of something, so he decided to mine out whatever it was. He swung and swung and eventually dug out the object into the tunnel away from the wall. Yorkl inspected the chest and found that it was a chest of sorts, it had strange inscriptions, ones he has never seen before. Yorkl looked for a keyhole, but the closest thing to a keyhole that he found was a small opening that was only about as small as his pinky and was perfectly circular. Confused and pondering how to open the chest yorkl inspected the crevice where the chest had been for any clues for where the key might be. He found a small hole in the top of the crevice, thinking that there might be something in it, he punched through the tough stone and found a small stone inside, perfectly rounded and shaped, almost too perfectly crafted for yorkl to lay eyes on it. he took the stone back to the chest, thinking that the stone must have something to do with the chest. Yorkl studied the stone and the chest and thought maybe just put the stone in the chest hole. Yorkl put the stone on a flat stone and then took the stone and dropped it through the hole. The stone clicked and clacked on its way through the chest, probably hitting all kinds of levers and switches, after a minute or two the stone hit something and emitted a sound like two stones hitting each other, then, the chest clicked once, twice, and then the stone rolled into a little cup at the bottom of the chest, Yorkl scratched his head but stopped mid-scratch when the chest started to open. Yorkl's eyes widened at what he saw.

Kgeds sparred with glenda for a time, hacking at all angles with his big axe, glenda making jabs from every angle possible, staying on the defensive side, making a offensive thrust every so often.

“Give up yet Kgeds?”
“no, work on your parrys”

“Ha! I almost have you!”

Kgeds saw a plan forming, he swung his axe high, curving at the end, forcing her to duck, the slight curve downwards caught her off guard and she slipped a little and kgeds was immediately on her, with his axe above her neck. “Blast!” yelled Glenda, “you always win!”

“Thats cause I keep my head in one place”

“I'll get you one day kgeds”

“Oh I know you will glenda.”

Yorkl peered into the chest and saw the most beautiful mythril armor he had ever seen, the craftsmanship was magnificent, without flaw. Yorkl picked up the armor and admired the engravings and symbols that covered the armor. “The enchantments and wards it must hold” whispered Yorkl. He tried to decipher some of the inscriptions on the armor but could only find one that he remembered, a large symbol that seemed like an insignia, a family crest. Yorkl inspected it more carefully and saw that it was the crest of the lost clan of the Hillfist. Yorkl couldn't wait to show everyone the armor that he discovered, the armor that was lost for generations. Yorkl made haste as he put his pick, his ore sack, and the armor into the chest, closed the lid then carried the chest up the winding tunnels back to the underground town. Glenda walked to the Dining table and started making herself a meal, nothing fancy, a little leftover meat, some green beans, and a little bit of pepper, and a little time over the fire made it toasty warm. Glenda was at the bar section of the tavern when Yorkl burst in carrying the chest.

“You will never guess what i just found!”

“A clean shirt?”
“Very funny, but no, I found what I think to be some of the armor of the lost clan hillfist!”

“You have been down in the mines too much Yorkl, you probably just found some armor that someone lost down in the mines”

“I am serious!, come and see it!”

“alright then, lets see”

Yorkl took the stone from the cup at the bottom of the chest, and dropped it through the small hole, it clicked and clacked, and made one click, two clicks, then dropped into the cup at the bottom. “Ha!, The chest doesn't even do anything!” laughed Glenda. “Watch” whispered Yorkl. The chest started to open and glenda gasped at what she saw

“this can't be what I think it is!”

“oh but it is dear sister, tis the armor of the hillfist’s”

“yes I see that now, but do you not know to whom this belongs to?”
“I never stopped to consider who’s it was, only that it was truly magnificent”

“Pay attention when you are taught history, those markings on the collar of the armor mean that this armor belongs Blengar, the king of clan hillfist himself!”

Chapter _

“what should we do with this glenda?”

“I don't really know, but a start would be going to Kgeds and showing him it”

“Are you sure? Doesn't he have a class right now? I think we need this to be quiet for a little bit.”

“I just got done having a lesson from him, we can let him know and the king about it”

“sounds good, now lets go find Kgeds and show him it”

Chapter 3

Yorkl and Glenda found Kgeds asleep at the grinding wheel.

“Kgeds, wake up Kgeds” whispered Yorkl. Kgeds remained asleep at the wheel. Yorkl then slapped Kgeds in the back of the head and Kgeds then awoke with a start. “W-what's sall that about?” mumbled Kgeds. “we found some armor that we believe to belong to the king of clan hillfist!”

“Really? Ill just have to see about that”

Kgeds inspected the armor, and could not find any clue that showed that it didn't belong to Blengar. ”How did you find this?” questioned Kgeds.”I was just digging around in the tunnels and I started mining and found this chest” replied Yorkl. Kgeds looked over the armor some more and thought they should show it to the king, Yorkl and glenda agreed and took it to the king, when they got to the door Kgeds knocked three times and then two, and then five times. The door’s peephole slid open. A guard from the other side said “what's sall this about then?”

“We wish to see the king”

“What for?”

“we believe we have found something that would be of great interest to him”

“alright then, come through”

They stepped into the room, and found the king on his throne with his advisor handing him scrolls for him to sign and plans for him to look over. The king heard the door close and looked up to find Kgeds standing in front of him. “We found some armor that you may find fascinating” explained Kgeds. “Well go on with it, let me see this item of great interest” motioned the king. Kgeds opened the chest and showed him the masterful armor. The King had never seen such beautifully crafted armor before. The King asked where it was from, Yorkl heartily replied “from the tunnels!”. “whoever wore this armor would be ready for anything you realize” said The King, but little did he know, nothing could prepare the peaceful hill dwarves for what was yet to come.

Chapter 4

When the king was finished admiring the armor he handed it back to Yorkl.

“congratulations on finding this magnificent piece” said The king. “thank you my king” replied Yorkl. The king then retreated into his chambers to take a short nap. “Well what should we do?” questioned Kgeds. Yorkl replied “well I think we sho-” The earth was starting to shake at their feet. They stopped and waited for it again. The earth shook a second time and the smell of smoke permeated the room. Everyone in the room cocked their heads and wondered, what is that? Faint screams were heard from beyond the door. The door guard looked out the peephole, expecting some sort of cave in. When he looked through the door he saw what was happening. A giant creature with a spiked maw was torching the stronghold. Wings with a span of one hundred and fifty feet. Rock hard scales lining the beast, only one word could explain this foul creature. Dragon

Chapter 5

The three friends burst from the kings chambers, looking to help anyone that might get caught by the dragons searing fire breath. Glenda helped a family get into an escape tunnel while Kgeds helped an old dwarf to his feet and to another tunnel while the dragons head was turned. Yorkl, having only his mining clothes on, started putting the magical armor on. When he had all the armor on he took his pick and a instead of using his good shield at his living quarters, he settled for using a old shield leaning against a wall. He ran to the dragon, banging his pick on his shield. The dragon too intent on burning things to hear him, he then took a rock next to him and threw it at the dragon. It landed with a solid glancing blow on the dragon’s back. The dragon stopped burning things for a second, wondering what had dared to attack him. The dragon looked down at the small dwarf in shiny armor and thought that the small dwarf would make a nice start to his meal. Because Yorkl didn't really want to fight the dragon, just distract it so his people could get away, he banged his shield and pick together and strafed towards the back of the dragon. The dragon, growing tired with these games, leashed a large gout of fire. Yorkl thought he was done for, but his armor started to grow cool, and it ate the flames, not even leaving a singe. Yorkl looked down expecting to see a large scorched hole in his armor, but found that he was fine. The dragon looked at him, trying to see what defiled his flames in such a manner, for he had never come across such a foe. Yorkl, seeing the dragons confusion thought it would be better to keep out of the dragons biting range, because it would probably fight with tooth and claw soon. Yorkl was now opposite to the entrance to the stronghold, with the dragon facing him. On the ground to his side he found a small throwing hatchet, he picked it up and threw it at the dragon. It soared over the dragons head, not doing much of anything. The dragon, now snapped out of its confusion, seeing the axe go over its head, turned to the dwarf and started towards it, thinking to bite the meddling dwarf. Yorkl, seeing the incoming dragon, turned tail and fled, hoping to save himself and stall the dragon further. The dragon, thinking that one dwarf would not compare to the great feast it would have on the other dwarves. Yorkl could not see the dragon turning around while he was running full speed through the brush. Unfortunately for Yorkl he did not know about the small cliff that he was running for. Running full speed, Yorkl barreled off the small cliff, to land with a hard thud on the ground twenty feet below, passing out instantly.

Chapter 6

“Come on Glenda, its only a little more till the escape tunnel” Comforted Kgeds.

Kgeds propped Glenda up against a wall while he opened the escape hatch on the ceiling. “Can you walk a little more just up to the hatch?” questioned Kgeds. Glenda would have responded but the waves of pain that rolled through her when she put the slightest bit of pressure on her leg were too much. Kgeds rushed to Glendas side as she fell from the wall, groaning in pain.