The World of Promises | Teen Ink

The World of Promises

August 5, 2012
By ArylAquos BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
More by this author
ArylAquos BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note: I generally focus on the Guy/Girl relationship building hidden in an adventure when I write, and this pretty much is the proof of that. I wanted something dramatic and expansive, and a fantasy setting in a universe completely separate from ours works perfectly for that. The main backbone of this is going to be the conflict between Kyria's emotions, the whims of our Queen, and whether or not Jack can "be the hero" so to speak. Ultimately though, the story comes back to Kyria. Jack is second banana to her for one reason, and its trust. Can she trust Jack? Can she trust the supporting cast, even if she knows they can't lie? Can she trust her own judgement? I don't even know the answer to that and I'm the writer, but I'll be ashamed of myself if I don't find out and can't show it to the people who read this. I'd appreciate any sort of suggestions and overall improvements that can be made to this, especially on chapters 2 and 3 and the upcoming 4. My awesome English teacher only ever beat me over Chapter One, so everything after that is missing his expert touch.

The author's comments:
Its three chapters in one, amounting to about 20 something pages in Word.

Chapter 1




The Girl and The Young Man

The girl ran, she ran because there was no other option. She ran across the damp concrete in the dark city, her shoes slapping and sloshing and splashing as she went. Their eyes tracked her movements through a dizzying haze, their overworked legs powering them across the wet concrete of the back alley streets. Fueled by a voice unknown but deep seated and nostalgic and unquestionable to them, they hunted the girl, tracing her movements around corners and through the maze of alleyways the city bore. This is why the girl was running, cold and alone. Looking back, she saw them, their eyes red and drunken, their faces as dirty and worn as the clothes they wore. They stumbled after her, great lumbering animals, tripping over their own feet, but she was much more capable then they were. In an attempt to confuse them, the girl suddenly rounded a street corner, leaving the cramped alley and moving into a dim apartment district. The roads were empty, but a lone man was walking in the direction of the girl. He walked gracefully compared to the bumbling drunks who were chasing her. Hands in his pockets, backpack hoisted over his shoulders, he moved slowly, taking his time in navigating his way through the city. The man wore light blue jeans, faded and frayed to give them a worn vintage look, and a black hooded pea coat, which complimented his medium length shaggy black hair.

The young man looked up from his staring contest with the puddles on the ground when the girl yelled for help, and all he could do was stop and stare in confusion as she ran toward him, arms pumping, long brown hair and oversized gray sweater whipping about in the wind of her motion. The girl hoped she had just found her safe haven, someone to help save her from her assailants. The men turned the corner, the voice whispering softly, suggesting, easily persuading the inebriated fools, and it had them bearing down upon her and the young man, their grunts short, winded from the chase. She ran to hide behind the young man, grabbing onto the back of his coat and pulling herself into it, taking in the pleasant smell of the wool, pleading for him to stay and save her. The young man was utterly stunned and confused, slowly realizing he was being targeted as well, because instead of drunkenly shouting, “Get her!” they began shouting, “Get them!” The young man turned around, forcing the girl to let go of his coat, and grabbed her hand, pulling her along with him as he began rushing down the street.
“We’re getting out of here!” He said.
He pulled her around corners and brought her through places she would’ve never think of running through. This man, whoever he was, knew the city well enough to outpace and confuse the men, who let out howls of rage and confusion, eventually deciding to give up after what felt to the girl like an endless chase. Her legs were burning, and she was forced to sit and catch her breath after the young man made sure they were safe. They winded up in a musty, garbage lined alleyway, filled with the waste of the various vagrants and hooligans and the occasional schoolchild who was dared to take a shortcut through the fabled dark alleys. The walls of the buildings that surrounded this alley were covered in dirt and graffiti, marking it as one of the places in the city that was lost in the war against those who were trying to ruin it. The young man wiped his brow, as he had been starting to drip with sweat. The coat he wore was making him incredibly sweaty after having run at least a mile, so he took it off, exposing a black shirt with some sort of tribal design and a name on it. He shouldered the coat, preferring not to let his coat get covered in the dust and dirt in the alley. He leaned back against the wall, resting his backpack against it and used his coat to wipe his face.
“Ah man… I probably shouldn’t have run that hard.” He said, gasping as he spoke.

He had run fast enough to give the girl a hard time keeping up with him, his longer legs giving him a much longer stride than hers.
“Uh… Thanks for helping me…” the girl said, straightening up and dusting off the back of her pants.
“It’s nothing… They were gonna try and get me too… so I couldn’t just leave you there.” “Well… It’s my fault they were going to go after you… If I didn’t make that turn…”
“Don’t blame yourself. Were those guys chasing you drunk?”
“Those things chasing me weren’t men, they were animals…”
The man snorted, “Yeah seriously. Anyone who would devote that much time to trying to ruin themselves like that must be some sort of animal.”
The girl rubbed her arm nervously, bunching her sweater up and letting it slide back into place.
“It’s not that simple.” She said, looking down at her pants, losing her focus and letting her vision blur.

I really want to tell him.
“Seems pretty simple to me. They get drunk, they go around ruining lives and not caring until they come down of their buzz, then they get depressed and drink again.”
He shouldn’t know, she thought, would it change anything?
The man looked at the street, “I hate people when they get like that.”
I don't want to be alone.
“You know my dad was like that, drunk all the time, but I guess that really isn’t important anymore.”
I can’t let him be involved with me anymore.
“What is important is the fact that I don’t even know your name.”
The girl suddenly snapped back into reality, realizing that the young man was still talking to her. She looked at the man, seeing what she felt was genuine concern on his face. Somewhere off in the distance there was the low whooshing sound of cars driving by on the nearby highway. The drunks, had returned to the bar they came out of, had completely forgotten about the chase.
“Oh, its, uh, Kyria.”
“That’s quite the strange name.”
“Yeah.”
“Mine’s Jack”
Jack held out his hand. Kyria looked at it for a second before tentatively reaching out to shake his hand. His grip was tender and warm, but sweat was abundant between the two hands, due to their flight through the city. Jack smiled and let go. He walked over to the end of the alley and looked around for any signs of the drunks.
“Well, since I don’t think it would be a good idea to let you roam around with those guys out there… How about I help you get to where you were trying to go?”
“I, uh, wasn’t really trying to go anywhere.”
Jack turned around and gave her a puzzled look. Even in this city, a young girl that was wandering aimlessly in the middle of the night was rare.
“You homeless?”
“No.”
“Where’s your house?”
“I can’t go there, even if I wanted to.”
“Why not, did you run away? Did your parents hurt you or something?”
Kyria looked down, and grabbed the right arm of her sweater with her left hand, gripping the fabric tight, as if trying to hold herself together. Jack saw that she was visibly upset, and decided to try and distract her.
“Uh. I was just on my way to my friends’ house, but if you want you can stay at my place. Leaving you out here in the cold with those guys running around doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.”
“Er, I think it would be better if I didn’t.”
“Why not?”
“Bad things tend to happen to people when I’m around them.”
Jack raised an eyebrow, he could understand not wanting to go with someone you didn’t know, he was taught to not to talk the strangers the first day of preschool, but he felt that the excuse she gave was pretty ridiculous.
“I think I can handle one night of bad luck.”
“I don’t want to get you any more involved than you already are.”
“I wouldn’t have offered if I didn’t want to get involved.”
“I… I’m sorry but I just can’t.”
Jack sighed in exasperation; she wasn’t making it easy for him to help her.
“Alright then, at least let me show you where I live so if they start chasing you again you’ll have someone to go to.”
“Ok.”

She was glad to have someone to walk the damp streets with, even though she was going to eventually have to leave him, because she knew what would happen if she stayed with him, and she didn't think she could face it. Jack walked leisurely in what Kyria assumed to be the direction of his apartment. She figured she was never going to go to him for help, but she remembered where it was anyway, as thanks for helping her escape from the drunks. She didn’t tell him about the secrets the city kept, she had to stay alone, so she couldn't.
When they got to his apartment he showed her where it was, telling her to just come in if she felt like coming back. She just nodded and left. Jack entered his apartment, leaving his door unlocked in the event that Kyria decided to take up on his offer. He threw his bag of clothes and various other personal items on his ragged old couch, slid his coat off and hung it neatly on a hook on the door out of his apartment. He kicked off his dirty white Nikes, flinging them haphazardly at the welcome mat he had set down in front of the door. Patting his pockets, he realized he left his cell phone in his coat pocket, so he reached in and dug around for a bit in both pockets, eventually finding it hiding underneath his wallet. He figured he would give his friend Kyle a call to tell him he wasn’t going to be able to make it to the party in a few moments, putting it off to allow himself to get a drink and get situated.
Heading into the scummy little box he called a kitchen, he yanked open the door of his hand-me-down refrigerator, the paint chipping off in regular intervals and the door of it was as stubborn as a pit bull with a particularly delicious chew toy, but it hadn’t blown up on him or anything so he kept it around. He mulled over the few options he had, his eyes passing over an almost empty jug of milk, some booze Kyle had brought the last time he came over, a few cans of Arizona Watermelon juice, which Jack had a particular attachment to, due to their cheapness and the fact that watermelon was always a good flavor for anything to be, and a carton of orange juice. He grabbed the carton, feeling its weight and determining that it was emptier than his jug of milk; he had to remember to stop at the store to get more in the morning. He sighed and tossed the juice carton in the blue recyclables box he kept along with his normal garbage can next to his fridge and winded up grabbing a can of the watermelon juice, cracking it open and taking a few swigs. Feeling slightly more refreshed, he headed over to his couch and got comfortable next to his backpack. He flicked on his TV and pulled his phone out of his pocket and pulled up his contacts, scrolling down until he got to Kyle Edstrom, hesitating as he decided whether or not he would find his excuse for not coming to his party believable.
He had met Kyle earlier in the year, when both of them had been waiting through the introduction speech at the college they went to, both of them being incoming freshmen. Kyle had made several jokes at the deans expense to Jack, who winded up sitting next to him during the speech, and when Jack joined Kyle with making fun of the deans, they ended up becoming friends, getting a class together and hanging out during their lunch breaks and after school. Jack figured he wouldn’t believe that he winded up running through the city with some random runaway, because frankly he wouldn’t believe it if someone told him that either, so he ended up making an excuse about forgetting an assignment. Jack pressed the call button on his phone and held it to his ear, waiting for Kyle to get to his phone. When he answered, Jack could hear the dull roar of the party over the line.
“Hey man, where you at?” Kyle shouted into the other end, trying to keep his voice above his partygoers.
“I think I’m gonna stay home tonight, I forgot I had an assignment due on Monday and I want to get it done early.”
“You suck man, just do it tomorrow!”
“If I put it off its not gonna get done.”
“Whatever man, I’ll see ya later.”
There was a soft click as Kyle hung up his end. Jack tossed his phone on the other side of his backpack. He wasn’t lying about the assignment, and before he left he was planning on finishing it the next day as Kyle had suggested, so Jack figured he would do it anyway to pass the time. He didn’t think he would be sleeping tonight, after what just happened.
After she left Jack, in front of the apartment complex the girl continued about her usual business, finding herself a place that she could call home for the night. A place where she could be alone, away from anyone she could hurt. Wandering, looking for a place she could relax, she eventually made her way to the local park, the man made pond reflecting the light of the waning moon, the trees leaving piles of dull brown leaves scattered all over the ground. She found a bench she could sit on, allowing herself to relax and think over whether or not her decision not to tell him about the faeries even mattered.
A jet-black Mustang convertible sped its way past the park, darting around corners and streaking through the silent city streets. Red lights could not stop it, instantly changing into a dull disappointed green as it sped past. The air started to become thicker as the car made its way into the heart of the city, which was plagued by various industrial projects, each with its own variety of poisonous particles choking the air, blocking the light of the stars, foiling any attempt at foiliage. The Mustang slid silently to a stop in front of the tallest industrial building in the city. A slender young business man in a black suit to match his car stepped out of the vehicle, and stood next to it for a short period of time, contemplating when to step inside the looming building. The smooth sounds of jazz broke the silence of the city, and the young man pulled a cell phone out of his pocket and held it up to his ear.
“Hello?” He said aloud, to no one in particular.
The conversation he was going to have wasn’t with the phone, but he needed to pretend like it was. A voice ageless and endlessly echoing floated through the wind, flowing like water over the crevices of his mind.
Welcome, young Aryl, to the fair Court of the Fae.
“Im at the warehouse, where are the files you wanted me to go over?”
Thank you, Elder. What has the Queen called me here for?
I’m sure you know already, child.

“And you want me to send them over to Kent in accounting?”
That girl again?
The very same, it seems the Queen has another mission for you regarding a new pet the girl has come across.

“Do you want me to attach a memo then?”
I’m growing weary of going after the same pitiful girl every time, Elder. What is
it the Queen wants with her?
We do not question our Queen, young Aryl.

“I better be getting overtime for this”
I apologize, Elder. I am only curious.
And rightfully so, but nonetheless we must obey her, for she is the Queen. The portal is ready, head into the Court.
The wind became quiet and dull, no trace of the whispers the two faeries shared left on it. Aryl sighed a deep sigh and spoke one last time into the phone.
“I’m starting to tire from all this extra work.”
Sticking the phone back in his pocket, he strode through the glass doors of the building, manipulating the glass into a permeable membrane, passing through it as though it had never existed, into the border between our world and Emain Ablach, the Land of Promises. He made his way over to an elevator that would take him to the 13th floor, waiting patiently as the elevator rose up, bringing him onto the 13th floor, where the exact center of both the building and and ancient tree once stood. Stepping off the elevator, the faerie made his way to a large pillar in the center of the floor, the main structural support of the building, and where the trunk of the Queen’s Tree once stood. He stared silently at a point on the pillar, feeling the ancient magic of the tree, its dying screams echoing throughout eternity, its fate etched in the fabric of the space contained by the pillar. Aryl reached out to touch the point with his finger, a faint blue light spread from the spot he touched, revealing ancient words that spread out in a circle from where he touched the concrete pillar, rotating slowly around the center of the pillar. Aryl couldn’t read the ancient tongue, but he knew what they said, and the significance they had.
“Here stood the Tree of Gaia, destroyed by her selfish sons.” He whispered the words to the wall, causing the words to glow as he said them. The glow grew stronger, and began to emanate in a physical manifestation, slowly twisting and spreading over Aryl’s arms, then his torso, and the rest of his body, a familiar tingling sensation wherever it touched his exposed skin. When the last bit of skin was covered, the light dissipated, and the wall returned to the pale cream color it had been before, no sign of the writing or of the faerie.






Chapter 2




The Hidden Truth



An hour of unrest plagued Kyria, constant worries of what the faeries were going to do to Jack. She just wanted them to leave her alone but she felt constantly surrounded by them, feeling their magic in the wind, pushing her and pushing her further into the hole they dug for her. Making her lose hope but never taking enough to stop her dead in her tracks. Every so often a person or an animal would become friendly with her, but she knew that the fae were watching, and they ended up dead as soon as she turned her back. She wanted to find him and tell him to run, run far away and forget that he ever had the misfortune of meeting her. After what felt like an hour of agonizing paranoia, she felt chilling breeze freeze her in place, instilling in her a primal fear and the sudden impact of inevitability. A cold hand touched her face from behind her, causing her to let out a low whining noise.
“Every time I see you, you just keep getting cuter and cuter. I love the look of a girl who has given up on everything, your pretty little face is the perfect example of that.” Said a smooth flowery voice from behind her. She felt the heat draining from where the hand had touched her, leaving her growing colder and colder as the wind held her in place.
“I believe you know why I’m here, girl.”
“Leave him alone.” She choked out, barely able to control herself, the shallow heat of anger of fear trying to fight off the piercing cold she was suffering.
“You know we can’t do that, he helped you, and now he has to pay.”
“Why? Why not just kill me and get this over with!” She yelled, eyes tearing, the cold creeping further and further through her veins. The voice let out a single laugh and its owner moved around Kyria so they were face to face. Kyria glared at the man, sleek black business suit wrinkle free, long blond hair perfectly straight, his golden eyes like a hawks, piercing and cold, his mouth pulled up into an amused grin, his skin ice white and flawless. She absolutely hated him, for to see him meant someone was going to die, and she knew who it was. He brought his face close to hers and grabbed her chin, bringing her eyes to his level.
“Because that would be too easy. My master wants you to suffer.”
The faerie let go of her face and stood up, straightening his suit and flipping the hair out of his eyes.
“However, we can’t have you running around this place with no reason to live, because then this game she wants to play with you wouldn’t be as entertaining as it already is. She decided to let him live if you can save him. That is, if you can manage it.”
“Why.”
“Because she cares.” After he said this, a strong blast of wind whipped around her, stinging her eyes and forcing her to close them. She could feel the cold air around her swirling and reheating, her bonds dissipating, no evidence that they were even there in the first place.

Kyria stood straight, pulling her ragged sweater tight around her, trying to rid herself of the last bits of cold he brought with him, and broke into a run. She knew what he was saying was the truth. Her father had told her before he died, that if there was one redeeming quality about the Fair Folk, it was that they never lied.

It only took her about 4 minutes to make it to his apartment, but it felt much longer knowing that chances were that Jack’s mangled body would already be hanging out a window, or splattered like pigeon droppings across the pavement or pooling blood onto his carpeted floors. She rocketed up the stairs to where he had pointed out his apartment to be, and knocked heavily on the door, completely forgetting that he had told her it would be unlocked. There was a shout and a crashing sound from the other side of the door. She knew they wouldn’t let her keep him. Tears began to form in her eyes as she heard footsteps coming from the other side of the door. She didn’t want to believe that they had gotten to her again. She wanted the faerie on the other side of the door to open it, and turn her to ash where she stood. It hurts too much, she thought, to keep living alone. She looked down as the door opened, hoping for it all to end.
“Oh, it’s just you Kyria. Did something happen?”
She looked up and saw Jack looking at her, confused and tired, bags beginning to form under his eyes.
“I made it.” She said, before her legs buckled, sending her to the floor, exhausted.
“Are you ok?” Jack asked, concerned, his hand stretched out in assistance. Kyria, after regaining her senses, wiped her face with her sleeve, and gratefully accepted his help.
“Ill be fine.” She said.
“Is someone after you or something?” Jack asked. Kyria wasn’t prepared for the fact that Jack would actually be alive so she was frantically trying to piece together a story without exposing why she was actually here.
“Oh. Uh, No, I don’t think anyone is.” She said, nervously scratching her left elbow.
“You sure look like someone was.” He replied, confused.
“I, uh, thought I saw one of those guys from earlier.” Jack looked even more concerned and a bit angry as she said this. Footsteps coming from the apartment upstairs made Kyria uncomfortable.
“You wanna come inside? My neighbors are probably sleeping.”
Kyria nodded, and walked inside the apartment.
“Sorry its so dirty, I fell asleep on the couch and didn’t know if you were going to come or not.”
It was pretty dirty inside, but she didn’t mind. It was a place that she felt safe. It was small, quiet, and comfortable.
“Its fine.”
“You can sit down if you want.”
Kyria did sit down, the couch creaking from overuse and old age. Jack went over to his fridge and pulled out two more of the cans of juice, and walked back over to the couch, moving his backpack so he could sit on the other end.
“Here, if you’re thirsty you can have some of this if you want, its pretty good.”
He handed her a can with a watermelon on it, which she assumed was some sort of juice.
“Thanks.” She cracked it open and took a sip. It was incredibly sweet.
“Its not alcohol or anything. Just watermelon juice.” Jack said, scratching the back of his neck
“Its good.” She replied, taking another sip out of the can.
“If you can’t finish it all, just put it in the fridge.”
“Alright”
Jack dug around in the couch for a bit, and pulled out a thin black remote, instinctively pressing the buttons that would turn on the TV and switch it over to a channel that specialized in comedy. After a few minutes of the comedian telling a story, the theme of the program sounded, and the show cut to commercial. Jack had polished off his can of juice, and had put his feet up on the table, pushing some of his half-finished assignments out of the way. Neither of them said anything for most of the commercial, and Kyria was beginning to nod off.
“So, Kyria.”
She jerked back to full consciousness, nearly spilling the drink she had been holding.
“Huzzawha?”
Jack laughed, receiving a stern glance from Kyria.
“What?”
“I was wondering if I could ask you something.”
“Oh.” She said, staring nervously into her drink.
“Is that a yes?”
“Go ahead.”
Kyria sighed, she figured she had to tell him about the fae and find some way to help him at this point. She knew that the faerie who showed up every time she met someone, Iglaeus, would have planned something for if she did get to him while he was alive.
“So what was all that earlier about you being bad luck?”
Here it comes, she thought.
“Well, uh.”
She focused even harder on her drink.
“You might not believe me if I tell you.”
Jack scoffed.
“That’s ridiculous, I don’t have any reason to not believe you.”
“Thanks, but I didn’t believe it when I heard it.”
“Heard what?”
Kyria looked over at Jack and looked into his face, he was sitting straight, elbows on his knees, arms hanging off his legs.
“That faeries and other fantasy things were real.”
Jacks passive expression quickly changed into one of surprise.
“Aren’t you a little old for that kinda stuff?” he asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. The look on Kyria’s face was completely serious, Jack could easily see that she wasn’t lying, but he just couldn’t believe it.
“The past 4 years of my life I’ve been running from them, I’ve seen them turn people who tried to help me into ashes in less than a second, I’m not lying to you Jack.”
Jack lifted his arms and rested his head on his hands.
“I know you aren’t, it’s just hard to believe.”
Kyria felt relieved, at least he didn’t completely reject me, she thought.
“Thanks for at least trusting me.”
“Hah, I should probably be the one saying that.” Jack said, relaxing again.
“Yeah.” Kyria replied, smiling slightly.
Jack stretched and stood up.
“We need some sleep, so I’m gonna pull this bed out for you. You can watch TV if you want.”
Kyria nodded, and helped Jack set up his pull out couch, grateful for something soft and dry to sleep on for the night. The two of them set it up in a matter of minutes, and Jack gave her some spare sheets for it and some of his pajamas to change into, taking her old clothes down to the shared laundry room. When Jack came back upstairs, Kyria was curled under the covers, half asleep with the TV on.
“Ill be in my room, just call me if you need anything, G’ Night.”
“Alright.”
Jack turned off the lights in the main room as he entered his bedroom. He threw on the pajamas he had tossed in the corner the previous morning and got comfortable, diving headfirst into his pillows. It didn’t take long for him to get to sleep, and as soon as he did he fell into a dream. He dreamt that he was walking around a large office space, with a large stone pillar placed in the center of the building. He walked through each floor to the other end and climbed up the staircase to the next one, eventually making his way up to the 13th floor. His legs carried him to the middle of the office, where the stone pillar stood, solid grey. He stared at it for a few seconds, and reached out to touch the pillar. When he finally touched the pillar, he froze in place, and spun around instantly, his legs rotating around without his permission. He now stared a young looking brown haired man about his size and age in the face.
“So, she told you huh?”
Jack couldn’t speak, his mouth sewn shut in silence.
“You know, this is probably the first time I’ve ever had the chance to talk to one of her victims, so to speak.”
What do you mean? Jack thought
“What she’s told you is reality, and it’s a dangerous thing to know for your folk.”
Seriously?
“If it wasn’t, we wouldn’t be talking right now. I probably wouldn’t even exist. All that’s important however is that the Fair Folk are after you, both of you. If you want to survive, you probably should cross over, and learn how to defend yourselves.”
What the hell are you talking about!
“Find this building in the center of town, and on this floor, in front of that pillar, speak the words ‘Alai Seelie Leole’ and have that girl touch it. I will find you and help you then.”
After the man finished speaking, the dream started fading. Jack fought to stay in the dream, but failed, waking in a cold sweat, with the words the man spoke engraved in his mind. Jack sat up and wiped his forehead with a cold hand and looked at his alarm clock, which read a bright green 6:29. He sighed and figured he wasn’t going back to sleep anytime soon, so he decided to get out of bed. Pulling his clothes for the day out of his dresser, he trudged into his shower to melt away the cold.
It was a good 20 minutes before he got out of the shower, absorbing the warmth as much as he could.
He walked over to the kitchen, taking care not to wake Kyria, honestly surprised she didn’t run off during the night. Opening the fridge he faced utter disappointment, completely forgetting that he gave his last can of juice to Kyria.
“Damn, all I’ve got is booze.” He whispered to himself. He closed the door and shook his head. He took a look over at Kyria, thinking to himself that if he didn’t leave her a note before he went out she might get mad, or worse. He silently grabbed his bag and pulled out some paper and a pen. He shook the pen to loosen the ink and wrote her a quick note.
‘Going to the store real quick, Ill take you out for food if you’re hungry when you get up. Stay inside and don’t drink what’s in the fridge, cups are in the big cabinet if you want water.’
He placed the note on the table, and grabbed his keys and his coat, locking the door behind him.






Chapter 3





The Kaleidoscope


Kyria woke up about an hour after Jack did, sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of her tired eyes. She slid out from under the covers and stood up, stretching and yawning. From where she stood she couldn’t see Jack anywhere in the kitchen or the living room Seeing that the door to Jack’s room was opened slightly, she decided to peek inside, opening the door wider and taking a step inside after seeing that he wasn’t in his bed.
“Jack?”
No answer.
“Jack, are you in here?”
Dead silence, she felt a sense of panic begin to rise up to her throat, where it remained, a returning reminder of her fears and worries.
Slowly, hesitantly, she inspected the area around his bed, relieved to find nothing but dirty clothes. She opened his closet to more of the same, cluttered mess that filled the room. Turning around, she saw that the door to the bathroom was slightly ajar. She pictured Jack, dead on the toilet or in the bath, blood slowly staining the yellowing tile or the puke green ceramic of his tub. She walked over and touched the door, closing her eyes and wishing as hard as she could that nothing happened. Eyes closed, she started sliding the door open, and when the door was all the way open she took a step inside.
“Jack, a-are you in here?”
Slowly she opened her left eye, and seeing nothing but ugly designs on the walls instead of a fresh coat of blood, she opened her right one and took a look around. Nothing but the aftermath of Jacks shower earlier that morning, wet towel hanging up to dry, razor and toothbrush lying used on the countertop. She sighed; angry with herself for letting her thoughts get the best of her. She returned to the living room and sat down on the couch bed.
“Where is he?” she said to herself.
She stood up again and walked into the kitchen. The first thing she saw was a note with her name on it on top of a pile of her clothes. Seeing nothing else out of place in the kitchen she unfolded the note and read it to herself.
‘Going to the store real quick, Ill take you out for food if you’re hungry when you get up. Stay inside and don’t drink what’s in the fridge, cups are in the big cabinet if you want water. P.S. I remembered your clothes were in the laundry so I brought them up for you. Go ahead and use the shower, there’s a towel in my closet. I have a phone with me so you can use the one in the kitchen if you need to talk to me. The number is 1-555-283-2595’
Kyria looked at the number, and then looked over at the phone. Without hesitation, she yanked the handheld off its dock, causing the dock to unbalance itself and wobble about. She punched in the numbers as fast as she could and held it up to her ear. It rang two times before the other end picked up.
“Jack?” she said into the speaker, shaking slightly.
“Yeah?”
Kyria sighed in relief.
“When are you coming back?”
“I’m coming up the stairs now. Are you ready to go? I wanted to talk about the stuff over breakfast at a local place.”
“No, not yet.”
“You should probably get on that, Ill be there in like a minute.”
“A-alright”
Kyria set down the phone, still shaking, and gathered up her clothes, bringing them into the bathroom. When she got out of the shower Jack was in the kitchen, reading through a newspaper, looking incredibly warm in his coat. He looked over at her, her damp hair still dripping water, and stood up, leaving the paper on his table.
“Lets get going, its right down the street.”
She nodded, following him out of the apartment and down the street. The restaurant was a small place that looked like it had been there for a hundred years, maybe more. They went inside, and a middle-aged woman brought them over to a booth and gave them both menus that looked like they had endured millions of children ripping and tearing at their edges and plastic casing. Kyria ordered something small, not wanting to take advantage of the situation, while Jack ordered nothing but a cup of coffee. Silence flowed around the two as they waited for the food, which came after a good 20 minutes of silence. Kyria slowly picked at her food as Jack put cream and sugar in his coffee. He took a sip, shuddered, and set the cup down.
“Well, at this point I’m kind of starting to believe you Kyria.”
Kyria looked up into Jack’s face, anxiety twisting his face into a somber frown.
“Why?” She asked, surprised by the sudden acceptance.
“I think one of them entered my dreams last night.”
Kyria dropped her fork, causing it to land on the table, clanging in agony.
“W-what happened?” she said in a panicked voice.
He described how he was dreaming of walking through a building and winding up on the 13th floor of it, making his way to its very center.
“The man appeared behind me, and I couldn’t move or speak anymore. He told me he was watching us, and that he wanted to help us, and he told me how to go through some sort of portal.”
“A portal?”
“Yeah.”
“To where?”
“No idea, some other dimension I think.”
Kyria furrowed her eyebrows.
“I think they’re trying to trick you.”
“Trick me?”
A waiter walked up to their table holding a platter full of drinks, and started setting them on the table, when Kyria looked up into the waiters face her eyes grew wide, her face draining of color. Jack looked up when he saw the look of fear spread across her face, into the face of a man who, to Jack, seemed to be emitting a pale gold fog.
“Don’t demean us just because you’ve had bad experiences with us, girl.” Said the man, flipping his hair about his face. Jack stood up, face to face with the man, ignoring the intense, almost burning cold he was feeling.
“Who are you,” He asked, his stance aggressive, “One of them?”
“’One of them’ would be an accurate, if vague, description. If you mean a faerie, then of course.” The man said, smirking. Jack saw the gold fog growing thicker as the tension grew, and it made the room grow much colder. The other people in the restaurant were either staring or complaining about the cold, until all of a sudden, one by one the other patrons and the workers started passing out, like flies in a freezer. Jack was practically freezing to death where he stood. He fell to his knees, holding himself and shaking, frost threatening to take the use of his limbs.
“S-stop it I-Iglaeus!” Kyria shouted, stuttering due to the severe cold.
“And just as I was getting to the fun part. Oh well, orders are orders.”
Iglaeus seemed to absorb all the gold fog back into him, along with the cold felt by Kyria and Jack, the red heat returning to their faces.
“Why are you here.” She said, standing up, her fists clenching and unclenching to make sure her fingers still worked. Jack heaved himself up to a standing position, breathing heavily to support the blood that was restoring its normal pace in his veins.
“To escort you, of course.”
“Escort us where?” Jack asked through gritted teeth
“To the place of your dreams, Gaea Industries Inc., so we may test what my clansman has told you.” Iglaeus spread his arms wide as he said this, producing several images of what Jack remembered as the place in his dream in wisps of the golden fog.
“What makes you think that we’re just going to go with you?” Kyria said, dreading the answer.
“This.” Iglaeus replied, waving his arms once more through the mist, he conjured a newspaper with the headline “FREAK SNOWSTORM KILLS 20,000.” with the next days date in the upper corner.
“How can we trust that?” Jack said, stubbornly holding his ground.
“Because, something like that is child’s play for us, as beings of nature.”
“What do you even want with us anyway?” Jack replied.
“What our Queen wants is beyond me, I am simply the delivery boy.” Jack couldn’t tell if the man was lying or not, he wasn’t giving the impression of faking his bravado. Kyria looked down and sighed.
“Lets go Jack. He’s not going to give up, and if we don’t go…”
Jack took a glance over at Kyria, and saw the look of tired resignation that seemed to always be present whenever he saw her. Whatever the faeries wanted, they didn’t have any problems wiping out an entire section of the city, and if he and Kyria didn’t go along with it, they would.
“Alright. Lets get this over with.”
Iglaeus smiled, mouth extending into a wicked line, and held out his arm. Jack watched as more of the fog emerged, spreading and engulfing them.
“What are you doing! ” Jack grabbed Iglaeus’s arm in an attempt to stop the smoke.
“Making this easy. You didn’t think we were going to walk now did you?” Iglaeus said, laughing as more of the smoke poured out. Jack felt himself being pulled into the mist, which had started to obscure his vision and choke him. Kyria couldn’t keep her eyes open, her mind disoriented, her body being pulled backwards by an invisible force. Both of them suddenly lurched forward, landing in the middle of an empty office space. Kyria fell to her knees, gasping and shuddering, clutching her stomach, feeling as though she were about to throw up. Jack felt no better, but had managed to retain his balance, catching himself on the side of a cubicle before he fell. Iglaeus shook his head, laughing.
“Are all humans this entertaining?” he said, grinning widely.
“F-F*** you.” Jack let out a wheezy cough, the wind having been literally pulled out of him. Iglaeus laughed for a few more moments before recomposing himself. Turning around, he started walking toward the stone pillar in the center of the building. He stopped for a moment, and then turned around, enjoying the sight of the two people gasping in the middle of the room.
“When you catch yourselves, head toward the center. Please don’t waste any more of my time.”
Iglaeus walked off, leaving Jack and Kyria to recuperate with the sudden change in location. It took them several minutes to get their bearings, and several more to finish cursing at the faerie. Jack helped Kyria off the ground, and together they took a quick survey of the building.
“I can’t believe it.” Jack said.
“What?” Kyria asked.
“This is the place. The building in my dream.” Jack looked around, taking in the reality of what he saw in his dream. What he saw in his dream was an exact copy of the building they stood in.
“This is crazy.” He said, overwhelmed by it all.
“Fae don’t lie,” Kyria replied, “They trick and deceive, but they don’t lie.”
“Huh.” Jack said.
They looked at each other for a few seconds, and then looked toward the door that Iglaeus had passed through minutes ago.
“Lets get going.” Kyria suggested, starting to make her way though the maze of cubicles.
“Yeah, yeah.” Jack replied, begrudgingly heading for the door.
What have I gotten myself into? Jack thought to himself.
I guess it’s a bit late to back out. He thought shaking his head as he walked into a large circular room with a massive stone pillar in the center of it. Iglaeus was facing away from Jack and Kyria, lightly touching the pillar, engrossed in it.
“Speak the words girl.” He said, his voice distant and misty.
Kyria looked at Jack, who was staring expectantly at Kyria. When their eyes made contact, they both knew there was no turning back. Either they listened to Iglaeus, or they let twenty thousand innocents die. Jack had already been shown evidence that the power Kyria had claimed was after her was real, because Iglaeus proved it was. Even if the lone faerie couldn’t kill all of the people in the city at once, people could die.
“I’m not backing down now Kyria.” He said, turning his head and locking his eyes on the stone support in front of them.
Kyria nodded, and walked forward, putting her hand on the stone. Something was moving underneath her palm, and the stone was warm. She could feel the soothing energy of life pouring out from the concrete, and for a moment, she thought she could see the faint outline of a tree in the back of her mind. She swallowed her doubts and cleared her throat and spoke the words loudly.
“Alai, Seelie Leole.”
Faint blue lines began appearing on the concrete pillar, the stone dissolving as if it were sand, the glowing blue particles collecting around the bodies of Kyria, Jack, and Iglaeus. Kyria was rooted to the spot as most of the blue energy started sticking to her, causing her skin to tingle and her heart rate to rise. She felt as if she could run to the ends of the earth without stopping. She felt as if she were floating in a sea of pure energy, and that she could use it as she wished.

Jack was on his knees, and it looked as if he were on fire, the blue light dancing around his hunched over form. He felt as if his body was releasing something that had been stored away for a lifetime. The light was scorching to him, burning his soul clean, releasing it and making it his own once again. He passed out from the heat, the cold floor icy and unforgiving.

Iglaeus stood stunned; as he watched the two humans begin to absorb pieces of the Border Tree, its pale blue energy gathering around Kyria more densely than it did around Jack. He could sense three different magical powers being released, each of a different magnitude. Jack’s was the weakest, as it faded when he fell to the ground, unconscious. The Border Tree was slowly growing weaker, its power being sucked into the girl’s body. Iglaeus soon realized that at the rate it was transferring, the passageway between worlds would disappear. Gritting his teeth, the faerie gathered excess energy from around him, channeling the blue light into his hands. He easily shouldered the unconscious Jack, and grabbed Kyria, who was now just a glowing blue mass. The light that had touched her body was slowly eating away at the aura he had gathered around him, and he could feel power seeping from his body as well. Wasting no time, he rushed forward into the gaping hole in the pillar, disappearing in a rush of blue light.

The light continued dissolving the pillar until nothing but a tall thin tree remained in the center of the building, its few leaves glowing a faint and pale blue.

Chapter 4




Down The Hole Without A Ladder

Jack awoke to a burning pain in his chest. He kept a hand over his chest and used his other arm to push himself into a sitting position. He was surrounded by trees, and the sight of them made it clear that he wasn’t in New Trius anymore. The only thing he could remember was Kyria’s voice and a bright blue light.
Kyria, he thought.
He slowly stood up, still gripping his chest, and took a look around. All he could see was trees, no sign of Kyria or Iglaeus. He propped himself against a tree, his legs weak.
“Kyria! Iglaeus! Where are you!” he shouted.
His chest began to burn intensely, causing Jack to start coughing. He stood there coughing for a while before he felt a cold hand touch his shoulder. Jack looked up to see Iglaeus, his hair out of place and his eyes tinged blue. The cold spread from his shoulder through his chest to where he felt the burning, and it soothed the flames inside and refreshed Jack’s body. Jack coughed one last time before thanking Iglaeus.
“W-what happened?” Jack asked.
“We made it, despite a few hitches in my personal plans.” Iglaeus replied, walking off into the forest, motioning for Jack to follow.
“What do you mean?”
Jack followed Iglaeus as the trees grew thicker, and they wound up at a pristine riverbank. Iglaeus continued walking downstream, and Jack continued to follow. The flowers on the side of the river had a strange quality to them, and when Jack stooped over to touch one, it disappeared. Iglaeus had kept moving, so Jack rushed forward to keep up with him
“I mean the Border Tree dissolving the way it did.”
“The Border Tree? You mean that pillar?” Jack asked, slightly confused
“The pillar, yes.”
In the distance Jack could see an unfamiliar figure hunched over further upstream. As they got closer, Jack realized it was Kyria, but something was off.
“That pillar caused the three of us some problems, hopefully the Queen will enlighten us.”
Jack couldn’t believe his eyes when he got closer. Most of Kyria’s hair was gone, and it was now a strange array of blue, fading in and out from light blue to a deep ocean blue.
“Kyria!” Jack called out, causing her to turn her head. Even from a distance he could see that her irises had become an eerie electric blue, standing out even amongst the arrays of blues that made up her hair. As he jogged up to her, she looked at him shock and confusion spreading across her face.
“Hey,” He said calmly, breaking out of his jog, “Are you ok?”
Kyria looked back down as he walked over to the small puddle she was kneeling next to. He looked down to see a bright orange frog sunbathing in it. The frog croaked once, and hopped away, Kyria’s eyes following it as it went.
“I think so.” She replied as the frog dived into the water, a small ‘plip’ sound coming from the broken surface.
“The question is not ‘Are you ok’, but ‘Why are you ok’.” said Iglaeus from behind Jack.
Jack turned, keeping both Kyria and Iglaeus in his line of sight.
“What do you mean?” he asked.
“Iglaeus thinks me and you should have died from that explosion.” Kyria said, still looking at where the frog disappeared.
“That was an explosion?”
“It wasn’t so much of an explosion as it was an influx of mana.” Iglaeus explained, “The Border Tree was a pillar of pure energy that we call mana here, and when she,” he gestured to Kyria, “touched it, it released the seal holding it together, burning the three of us before bringing us to our intended destination.”
Jack would have been utterly confused if he hadn’t been a fan of fantasy novels as a kid, but he couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed by the situation.
“What do you mean by burns? I don’t see any burns on any of us.”
“They aren’t conventional burns, but the most obvious evidence is all of our eyes and her hair.”
“Wait, my eyes got changed too?” he asked.
“Take a look.” Iglaeus said, motioning to the puddle next to Kyria.
Jack looked back in the puddle, he could see his reflection in the water, his eyes were indeed blue, but not electric blue like Kyria’s, or gold spotted with blue like Iglaeus, but a swirling mixture of pure blue and his original olive green, with the blue dominant over the green.
“What the hell?” he whispered under his breath.
“Indeed, and while I’d enjoy staying here to enjoy the scenery, the Queen expects us, and I know she will have the answers to why this happened.” Iglaeus said. He motioned for them to follow as he made his way upstream.
“He’s pretty impatient.” Jack said, still watching the swirling battle of color that was occurring in his eyes. He looked at Kyria as she nodded, still crouching low to the ground, her chest against her knees. She made no sound or otherwise effort to get up and move for several seconds.
“Something wrong?’ Jack asked, concerned about her silence.
Kyria looked up at him, her blue eyes meeting his.
“I thought you had died.” She said bluntly. “Iglaeus found me passed out near here and woke me up and explained what happened. He told me that normal humans would die when exposed to that much sheer energy.”
“Huh, guess I must not be normal then.” Jack said, chuckling to himself.
“It’s not a joke. You could’ve died because of me.” She said, averting her eyes from his gaze.
Jack sighed, “Look, you couldn’t control what happened, and I’m fine anyway, nothing to worry about.”
Kyria’s head jerked up, and Jack saw that her eyebrows were furrowed in a stern look of disapproval.
“Don’t say it’s nothing!” She shouted. Jack recoiled a bit, as if a cat had just snapped at him. He could tell that Kyria was on the verge of tears from the sound of her voice, though her eyes were screaming anger and fear.
“But it is nothing, because nothing happened and I’m still here.” He said, kneeling down and putting his hand on her shoulder. Kyria stared at him for a few seconds, then sighed.
“You don’t get it, do you.” She said, brushing his hand off of her shoulder.
“I wouldn’t just abandon you like that, kid.” He replied, standing up and extending his arm, offering to help her up.
“I’m almost seventeen,” she said, accepting his help, “I’m not a kid anymore.”
“Seventeen is still minority where I come from, kid.”
Kyria punched his shoulder as hard as she could, then ran off after Iglaeus, who was already a good ways down the river. Jack shook his head and laughed, then he started running after both of them.

It took them a good hour of walking to see something other than the forest and river, and what they saw was a massive field of flowers with an ominous building made out of a strange polished material that looked almost exactly like onyx, but as Jack got closer he saw the familiar rough texture of tree bark. The building stood approximately 30 feet tall, a smooth jet black structure in the style of Greek architecture, with stone pillars supporting an overhang that extended out a comfortable distance from the main structure. As they walked up to the building, a soothing wind blew through the fields of flowers, and all of a sudden, the jet black building began lighting up in an endless array of color; blues, reds, yellows, and greens flowing and swaying with the wind and the flowers. Kyria and Jack both stopped dead in their tracks, mystified and awed by the swirling colors reflected in the black wood.
“Woah.” Jack said.
“The Queen’s handiwork,” Iglaeus explained, “She knows were here and is expecting us soon.”
As he finished speaking the large double doors made out of the black wood slowly opened, revealing a brilliantly colored interior. They were close enough to see inside, and Jack could see an ornate rug with some sort of design on it, and when they entered he could see that it was made in the likeness of a woman, a woman wearing an elegant light blue dress, adorned with flower petals of every color, her luxurious brown hair flowing down the sides of her face, spilling over her shoulders and her chest. The dress seemed to be a bridal dress, or something similar in style. The walls of the main hall were lined with pictures of similar looking women, with shimmering golden plaques listing names and dates. Each picture was bordered by a set of roses, each one a different set of colors. The lighting in the room seemed to come from these roses, as they were each glowed their own soft color; no one rose brighter in the other. At the end of the hall was a large door, glowing with the light from the roses, which illuminated the entire room. Iglaeus kneeled before the carpet, bowing his head. Kyria and Jack stood behind him, lost in the large space of the room. The room was physically bigger than the outer building had seemed to them, and before Jack could go back outside to check, the door at the end of the hall opened, and a delicate looking woman with blond hair wearing a maroon robe decorated in swirling patterns of gold fabric walked into the hall.
“Oh good, you’re back.” She said, walking down the side of the hall to avoid stepping on the rug.
Iglaeus stood after the woman acknowledged their presence, dipping his head forward in greeting to the blond haired woman.
“It’s good to be back, Laura. I’ve brought the girl and the human as asked.” He said, his eyes watching Laura as she walked over to them, her soft blue eyes wandering over Kyria and Jack. Her eyes met Jack’s and he couldn’t help but hold her gaze. He could feel incredible pressure, even though the only emotion he could see in her eyes was soft curiosity.
“I can see mana flowing where it shouldn’t, and all three of you have burns, what happened?”
“As sharp as ever I see,” Said Iglaeus, a grin emerging on his face, “The Border Tree collapsed, and the resulting explosion caused a wave of mana and it burned us.”
Laura broke her lock on Jack’s eye sight to look over at the door she came out of.
“No wonder the Queen is getting weaker.” She said with a sad look on her face.
Iglaeus’s face became grim, but Jack and Kyria just exchanged glances, being unaware of the situation.
“Is she able to meet with these two?”
Laura looked over at Iglaeus and nodded.
“She’s feeling well enough, but she gets tired easier now.”
“We shouldn’t waste her time then. I’m sure this one,” he motioned to Kyria, “has something to say that might exhaust her.”
Kyria opened her mouth to speak, but shut it quickly. She wanted to save her words for the one who caused her pain for the past four years.
As Laura led them through the door and down the subsequent hallway, Kyria gathered her thoughts. She was moments from the truth, and she was practically shaking with anticipation. After passing by countless doors, they eventually reached the end of the long, twisting hallway, which ended with a lone white door. Laura stopped and turned to address them.
“The Queen is inside, Kyria, she will answer your questions, Jack, she will explain why you’re here, but I ask that you do not stress her too much.”
All Kyria could do was nod, but Jack decided to speak up.
“Do you mind if I ask what’s wrong?” he asked.
Laura shook her head, “I am confident she will explain if you ask her.”
On that note, she disappeared completely, no trace of her left behind other than a creeping sensation of something being missing from the space she had occupied. Jack just sighed, having given up any hold he had on reality, because it had been consistently proven false since this morning. This was just more icing on the cake. He reached out for the door handle, and when he put his hand on it, Kyria spoke.
“Stop me if I do anything stupid ok?” she said.
He looked back at her to see her shaking. He couldn’t say he knew exactly how she felt, but he knew that she was about to break under the pressure.
“Sure.” He said. It was the most he could do to console her. She was coming into contact with her personal demon, he thought. He remembered the night he had confronted his dad, and how badly he was shaking even after it happened. He had no one back then, but he could help her. He had to.
“I’ll be here if you need me.” He said, and opened the door.
The room looked like a forest clearing; the floor was covered in green grass, swaying back and forth in wind that seemed out of place. In the center of the strange room was a large tree stump, with a sleeping girl curled up on top of it. She was covered in what seemed to be a blanket made of leaves and moss, her head resting on one of her hands and her back to Kyria and Jack. It seemed to be dawn in this room, because the sky was a soft orange, slowly transitioning into a gentle blue sky. Speechless, the two stood there as the girl stirred, the leaves and moss blowing away with the wind, revealing an innocent white nightgown around a skinny frame. Her hair was longer than Jack anticipated, spilling out from under the makeshift blanket, cascading down the stump and onto the ground like a miniature mudslide. When the girl stood, her back still to her guests, Jack could see that it was long enough to trail on the ground, like the back of a bridal gown. She turned her head and spoke, her hair obscuring most of her face.
“Oh my,” she said, the softness of her voice wiping away the silence, “I wasn’t expecting you so soon.”
She turned around completely. Her face was familiar, Jack thought, and when he turned to look at Kyria and saw the look of surprise on her face, then back at the girl, he saw it. They had the same face.
“What, struck by my beauty?” said the girl in a soft grin.
“Why?” Kyria shouted and fell to her knees, “Why are you doing this to me?”
“What am I doing to you; this is how I always look,” said the girl, tugging at her night gown indifferently, “Though I am a bit young for my tastes.”
Kyria slammed her fist against the ground and shouted, “Liar!”.
The girl looked at Jack, and he suddenly felt a harsh impact as his entire body was slammed into the ground, expelling the air from his lungs and causing him to cough and sputter.
“Jack!” Kyria shouted. She tried moving toward him, but found herself rooted to the ground.
“He’s fine, I just don’t want him getting in the way while I explain this to you.” She said, and walked over to Kyria and knelt by her, taking her face in her hand and casually moving it so their eyes were level. The girl had complete control of her, because Kyria couldn’t even look away.
“We both know I’m not going to be lying any time soon right? You may speak again.”
“Shut up.”
The girl giggled, “I’ll take that as a yes.”
She wrapped her arms around Kyria and pulled her in close, resting her head on Kyria’s. The girl’s cheek was soft and warm, as if she was feverish. It wasn’t at all an unpleasant feeling, but Kyria was repulsed by the idea that the person she hated so much was touching her.
“Let go.” She growled, her anger ever rising.
“Can’t a mother hug her daughter after 17 long years?”
Kyria couldn’t believe it, didn’t want to believe it. It couldn’t be true, she thought, even though she knew it was, she knew nothing false could come out of this girl’s mouth, even if she tried. How could it be true? Her dad said her mother died after she was born. Proof. She needed proof.
“You can’t be my mother. She died. She’s been dead.” She said frantically, trying to keep the reality she knew from breaking into pieces.
“I never died child. Your father lied to try and protect you from what I had to do for you.”
“My dad would never lie.” Kyria said, her voice beginning to crack.
“Anyone with the capacity to lie will do it to protect themselves or others. Your father was no exception.”
Kyria couldn’t bring herself to say anymore. If the girl claiming to be her mother wasn’t holding her up, she would have fallen to the ground, unmovable and unreachable.
“It had to be this way. I needed to hurt you and I couldn’t do it as your mother.” She said, holding Kyria even tighter.
“I can’t believe this.” Jack said in a dry voice from his coughing fit. “Why would you even need to do those horrible things?”
“The human will is a powerful thing.” The girl said to herself. “It’s because if she is to succeed me as Queen, she needs to know the true value of the human emotions I wanted from her.”
“So you isolated her from anyone she could get close to?”
“If you were to choose, would you rather have a sad childhood and grow up to be happy and successful or the other way around?”
“What does that matter?”
“This one knows all the things she needs to know about hating people.” She said, patting Kyria on the head. “Don’t you think it’s time she learns to trust? It’s the reason why you’re still alive.”
Kyria spoke up again, having been passively listening, trying to figure out what parts of her life were real or fake.
“Why couldn’t I just live a normal life? Even if you wanted me to succeed you or whatever, couldn’t we have all led a normal life?” she asked pitifully.
The Queen gripped her tighter.
“It couldn’t be done. A normal human wouldn’t last a day in charge of people who take great joy from ruining the lives of humans.”
“Why did you have to ruin mine then? Couldn’t you just as easily raise a faerie child?”
“It’s very complicated situation.”
“Please. I deserve to know.” Kyria said.
The queen sighed, and let go of Kyria, and she slid to the ground. The magic holding her and Jack in place had been released.
“Both of you stand and come with me.” She said, walking in the direction of the sunrise.
Jack was up almost immediately, and he helped Kyria to her feet. She almost fell over again right away, so he had to support her.
“Where are you taking us.” He asked, suspicious of the Queens intentions.
“I don’t need your permission to take you somewhere.” She said, stopping to turn and look at him. “I’m showing you why this world has to rely on Kyria.”
Jack opened his mouth to say something, but Kyria stopped him.
“Don’t argue with her anymore, please. I believe her, and I need to know why she did what she did.”
He looked into her eyes and saw that they had faded, no longer the bright electric blue, but a depressed deep blue. He sighed and helped her walk, following her mother into the forest surrounding them.

They followed the Queen deep into the forest, it growing thicker and thicker as they moved away from the clearing. Kyria watched her mother as they walked, never taking her eyes off of her. She needed to know what her motives were. She couldn’t just accept those long years of torture without a good reason.
Jack was starting to get suspicious. They had been traveling for almost a half an hour if his watch was working right.
“How much further?” he asked, annoyed.
“Do you see that light up ahead? That’s where it is.” She said, speeding up the pace and not looking back.
The light was quickly approaching, an unnatural blood red. Jack had almost mistaken it for the light from the sunrise, but as the trees grew thinner he could see the sky was already a clear blue. They emerged into a second clearing, with a lone tree standing in the middle of it. The light seemed to come from it, as the tree bark itself looked as if it was bleeding. The glowing red sap that oozed down the sides of the tree pooled at the bottom of it. What seemed to be the figure of a girl was attached to the tree, her body made out of the same black wood they saw on the outside of the building, and the bark of the bleeding tree seemingly restricting her arms, legs, and neck. The sap from the tree also oozed from her eyes, giving the impression that the girl was crying in the rain. The Queen walked up to the girl and wiped away some of the sap from its eyes, only for more to seep down.
“This is the girl who cries alone in this forest, Ellia Etnas.” She said, staring intently at the statue.
Kyria was stunned.
“That’s… My last name…” she said, confused.
“Our last name. Lulia, Ellia, and Kyria Etnas, reunited at last.” Lulia replied, setting her hand on Ellia’s wooden face, sap-tears flowing over her hands.
“Who… Who is she?” Kyria asked, leaving Jack’s side and approaching the tree. He followed her, but stayed a few feet behind.
“Your sister.” She replied, turning from the frozen figure, sap dripping from her hands.
“If she’s your daughter and her sister, what is she doing as a tree?” Jack asked.
“I trapped her here.”
Lulia’s voice was smooth and unwavering, showing no emotions, her eyes giving no insight to her state of mind. Kyria moved closer to the tree, and looked closely at the wooden girl. It was almost like looking in a mirror, she couldn’t tell the difference between herself, her mother, and this girl, except for her sudden change in hair color.
“Why? Is it faerie custom to treat your children like crap?” Jack shouted. He was starting to get angry again.
“You don’t understand-” Lulia started.
“Understand what, that you’ve treated your children horribly?” Kyria turned from the statue to see Jack glaring down at Lulia, standing over her, looking like he was about to snap.
“Jack! Stop!” she said, moving to get in between them.
A single thought from Lulia stopped her from going anywhere.
“You’re right, you know.” She began, her voice wavering, “I admit to it, but there is always a reason.” She said, looking straight into Jack’s eyes.
“What reason could you possibly have for doing this?” He said, pointing at the wooden Ellia.
“Fae parents learn the fate of their children on the day of their birth, in order to prepare the rest of the community to accommodate them. We also learn if our children carry an aspect, a facet of reality that they will grow to have complete control and influence over. Our job as parents and members of the community is to give the child guidance so they don’t come to abuse that power. If there is no path we can take that avoids that abuse, we have to kill them.” She explained.
“So why is she stuck in this tree, then?”
“She couldn’t be killed. If we tried to kill her, she would have removed everything in our world from existence. ” she answered. She looked like she was recalling something particularly painful from the expression beginning to take over her usually stoic features.
“So you stuck her in a tree?” Jack replied angrily, practically shouting in her face. Lulia averted her gaze, faltering under Jack’s emotional assault. Kyria stumbled forward, a sign that Lulia’s focus was being weakened.
“It was the only way.” She said, her voice now small and weak-sounding.
“That’s cruel.” Kyria said quietly. She was sympathetic, but still angry about the situation.
Illia turned and looked at her daughter as she stood there, confused, not knowing what to feel or think.
“Her freedom means the end of these two worlds as they are. I couldn’t let a daughter of mine destroy what I love.” She said, her voice still quiet and unconfident. “Even if it meant locking her away.”
“Then I’m just here because you wanted me to take her place?” Kyria asked, trying to discern the reason for her presence in this unusual place.
“That is only part of what I wanted,” she paused, closing her eyes and breathing deeply, “but yes.”
Jack started to feel like he over reacted. Lulia’s immense confidence she had displayed earlier had fallen apart when he shouted at her, and seeing her have to compose herself again made him regret getting angry over the situation. She obviously didn’t want her daughter to end up as a wooden statue, and hated the decision she had to make.
“What if she doesn’t want to take her place?” He said, more aware of how his voice might cause her to feel.
“I never wanted to force her.” She said without looking away from Kyria. She walked up to Kyria and wrapped her arms around her, catching her off guard. “Kyria, I wanted you to explore the world you couldn’t grow up in, and to fall in love with it as I did.”
“Can’t we just go back home?” She asked, while her mother buried her face in Kyria’s shoulder.
“It’s impossible with the Tree gone.” She said into Kyria’s shoulder.
Jack’s shoulders slumped; he had expected only being in this world for a few hours, at best. He hadn’t even bothered telling anyone he was going anywhere.
“So we’re just stuck here then?” he said, desperation rising in his voice.
“Indefinitely.” She said.
It was quiet for a few moments as Jack stood there stunned, slowly absorbing the fact that he couldn’t get back home.
“Iglaeus said you would have an answer for us.” He said in disbelief.
Lulia let go of Kyria and turned around, facing Jack. To both Jack’s and Kyria’s surprise, she had been silently crying into Kyria’s shoulder, her shimmering tears lining the sides of her face. She let the wind wipe them from her face, the tiny droplets landing on the nearby trees, flowers sprouting where they landed.
“I’m truly sorry, but all I can tell you is that the Tree’s mana dissipated when you three crossed over, and that you two now have most of what was lost in the explosion. The only one who could make a second tree has been long dead.”
Jack seemed lost. In all honesty he really didn’t have all that much to return to. He had few friends, and he didn’t even want to see any of his relatives, especially his father.
“Though, with some instruction and practice, both of you could harness various parts of nature. If both of you can manage the mana well enough, you could give birth to another tree.” She said, reluctantly.
Jack snapped back into reality.
“Seriously?” he asked.
“We don’t lie. You would both have to learn as much about this world as you possibly could before you could even attempt it. That itself would take years, and on top of that, you would have to be able to visualize the Tree’s new location in your world, as well as the four Mana Locuses here. By the time you did all of that, twenty years would have gone by. It’s better if you both just stayed here.” She replied, hiding a smile. She knew one way to get them both home, but it wasn’t worth the risk. She needed both of them to stay in this world anyway, so it all worked out for her in the end.
“So we can’t leave?” Jack asked, his hands drooping at his side.
Lulia nodded. They were quiet again, until Kyria decided to walk over to Jack.
“Jack?” she asked, standing in front of him. His eyes were tightly shut, and he didn’t notice her moving across the grass. His eyes remained closed, and he said nothing.
“I’m sorry, but I don’t want to leave this place. There was nothing for me back in that place. At least here I know there’s someone, even if she’s treated me badly.”
Jack sighed and opened his eyes.
“I give up.” He said with a pained look on his face, “I really didn’t have anything either.”
“And that’s that.” Said Lulia.
Jack shot her an angry glance, and Kyria turned to look back at her mother.
“Don’t think I won’t try to find some way back. I can’t just completely abandon my home.”
Lulia nodded, as if she agreed with him.
“And that’s why I need both of you here.” She said confidently.
“You want Kyria to appreciate this place, right?” He asked.
Lulia responded with a simple nod.
“I don’t think I have a choice if we’re going to be living here.” Kyria said, linking her hands together and letting them hang in front of her.
“Yeah, right.” Jack said dejectedly.
He scratched his neck, irritated at the turn of events, then asked, “What did you have in mind?”
“You need to meet a certain someone before I can tell you exactly where I want you to go.” She replied.
“Who?” Kyria asked, curious.
“Our librarian. First we’ll have to get her to show her face.” Lulia replied.
“Damn. A forest, and a library? Just how big is this place?” Jack muttered under his breath.
“Bigger than your Empire State Building.” Lulia said with a grin.
All Jack could do was sigh, he was surprised that he could even consider believing her.
“Well,” he said, turning and beginning to head back to where they came, “Let’s get walking.”
Before he could take three steps he was frozen in place again.
“Who said we were going to walk back? I’m tired, after all that pointless drama you put me through.” She said with a chuckle.
Suddenly, Jack felt a sharp pull in his stomach, and then a strong shoving sensation that caused him to fall flat on his face. He felt instantly nauseous, and had to choke back what he had for breakfast that morning. Kyria was in a better situation, as she just appeared back in the clearing where they found the Queen sleeping. She was a little disoriented, but she didn’t feel as sick as last time. She noticed Jack lying on the ground swearing, and Lulia standing over him looking pleased with herself. Kyria ran over to Jack and helped him to his feet.
“What did you do?” she asked, suspicious of the way Lulia was grinning.
“Just a little payback for making me cry, I hope he’s learned his lesson.”
Lulia headed for the door without another word, leaving Kyria alone with Jack, who was still trying to keep his stomach in check.
“You really shouldn’t have said those things, even if they were true.” Kyria said while supporting him.
“Yeah, I think I’m starting to regret that.” He said with a grimace. “Let’s get going.”
They followed Lulia into the long winding hallway, and walked down it, eventually stopping in front of a plain looking door with a placard fixed to it that read ‘Library’.
“So she’s in here?” Jack asked, no longer reliant on Kyria’s support to walk.
“You’re very sharp aren’t you?” sneered Lulia.
“Oh look, the faeries are capable of sarcasm.” Jack said, irritated once again by Illia’s quips. She had been insulting him relentlessly since they left her forest, Jack responding with insults and comebacks of his own. Kyria shifted uncomfortably between them, tired of the pointless bickering.
“I am capable of many more things than you, child.”
“Child?” He said angrily, “I’ve got a foot on you, probably more!”
“That doesn’t stop you from being a child.”
Jack looked like he was about to jump on Lulia, and she wasn’t helping the situation, egging him on with her words. Kyria couldn’t stand any more of it, she had to say something.
“Mom! Jack! Stop arguing with each other, it’s extremely annoying!” she shouted. Jack looked away and rubbed the back of his neck. Lulia’s eyes widened in surprise, a shiver visibly running up and down her spine, and she turned to look at Kyria. Kyria took a step back, surprised at the sudden silence and her mother’s reaction.
“Did… Did you just call me Mom?” she said, not taking her eyes off of Kyria.
Kyria began to get nervous, instinctively grabbing onto the arms of her sweater, averting her eyes from Lulia’s piercing gaze.
“I… didn’t know what else to call you.” She said, her nervous pauses peppering her words, “Calling you by your first name felt weird, since you’re my mom.”
Lulia moved toward Kyria, and embraced her once again, squeezing her tightly, burying her head in Kyria’s shoulder.
“I didn’t know you were this adorable.” She said as Kyria gave up and returned the embrace half-heartedly.
Jack sighed, “Is she always this fickle?” he said, to no one in particular, so he wasn’t expecting an answer.
“Faerie’s are a fickle group by nature,” said a voice from behind Jack, “She is the Queen of the fickle, so to speak.”
Jack turned around to see the girl in the red robes from earlier smiling softly behind him.
“Oh, you again.” Jack closed his eyes and tried to remember her name, “Laura, right?”
She nodded politely, and then cleared her throat.
“My Queen?” she said loudly.
“Good, you’re here.” She said, still not letting go of Kyria, “Your help is needed to draw out Lettie.”
Laura bowed and said, “At once.”
She walked past Jack and entered the door, letting it swing shut behind her. Jack made to follow, but Lulia stopped him.
“Let her find her alone.” She said, still clinging to Kyria, who was starting to look incredibly uncomfortable, which made Jack irritated.
“Don’t you think you should let her go now? She looks uncomfortable.” He said.
“Is this true?” Lulia asked, looking up at Kyria, who quietly nodded.
Lulia frowned and slowly let go of her grip on Kyria. Lulia let one of her hands slide into Kyria’s, who tentatively held it in hers.
“Why is only Laura going in?” Jack asked.
“That library is practically a maze, and it’s always so messy. Laura and Lettie are the only ones who can make any sense of it,” she said, folding her arms across her chest, “not that Lettie ever bothers coming out.”
“Huh.” He said, reclining against the wall next to the door.
“What does she do in there?” Kyria asked, rubbing her arm.
“She reads. There are enough books in there to last even the most avid of readers hundreds of years.” Lulia replied, “She hasn’t left in twenty years.”
“Jeez.” Jack said, “Can’t you force her out?”
“She always tries to work her way around it. I usually just give up and let her stay in there.”
Jack shrugged, and Lulia giggled.
“You know, you aren’t as annoying when you’re agreeable.” She said.
“Do we really need to start this again?” Jack said in an exasperated tone.
“You are fun to annoy.” Lulia said, a mocking grin on her face.
“Mom…” Kyria said.
“But annoying you annoys her, so I’ll hold back.” She continued, and rested her head on Kyria’s shoulder.
It was quiet for a few minutes until the door to the library opened, and Laura and a very untidy looking girl in a similar robe to Laura’s, the exception being its faded, blue color, emerged. Her medium length sandy brown hair stuck out in various places, and it looked incredibly thick, as if it hadn’t been cared for in years, a sharp contrast to Lulia’s long, silky hair. She seemed very thin, as her robes were very loose, especially around her shoulders. She didn’t look especially pleased to be there, and her displeasure was evident in her tone of voice.
“You called, Miss Lulia?” she asked.
Lulia raised her head from Kyria’s shoulder, still having to look up to be eye to eye with Lettie.
“I need you to get out of your precious library for a little while.” She replied, her confidence going toe to toe with Lettie’s negative demeanor.
“If it’s to collect books, I’ll have Selkie go get them.” Lettie replied.
“I need more than just the books. Do you remember when I left for a few years after the last time you came out?” Lulia asked.
“Vaguely. Is my help needed with her again?”
“Oh no, she’s still sealed. What I need you for today is related to the time I spent on the other side.”
Lettie looked at Jack and Kyria, seemingly noticing both of them for the first time. Her eyes narrowed when she looked at Kyria, and she spoke again.
“You had another daughter?” She said, her eyes wandering over Kyria, “She has an aspect even though she’s human.”
“She’s only half human, but yes, she’s my daughter.” Lulia replied, squeezing Kyria’s hand
“I see.” Lettie closed her eyes for a moment, and then opened them again, returning her gaze to Lulia. “What is your request?”
Lulia smiled a little, “I would like for you to travel with my daughter and her friend to the East after visiting the four other Houses.”
“Anything else?” Lettie said flatly.
“I want you to teach them, of course.” Lulia replied, “The aspects of nature and how to use them, our culture, everything you can manage.”
“I suppose I can’t refuse this, can I?” Lettie asked.
Lulia shook her head. “You are the only faerie here who could teach them what I want them to learn.”
Lettie sighed and nodded. “I understand. Am I allowed to take any books I might need as references?”
“Of course.” Lulia said, with a satisfied smile on her face, “You are leaving tomorrow, so I would get what you need together now.”
Lettie nodded, turning around to retreat into the library. Before she could go through the door, Lulia gave her one last order.
“I would like to see you at dinner tonight, please make yourself presentable. It has been much too long since I had a chance to see you.”
Lettie nodded, and then disappeared behind the door.
“That went better than I had expected.” Jack said.
“She knows that if she disobeys me she could get kicked out.” Lulia said, sighing, “In her mind, it’s better to humor me every once in a while than have to leave her precious books.”
She then smiled and said, “Though she always puts up a good fight anyway.”
“So… What now?” Kyria asked.
“Just some trivial matters.” Lulia said, leading Kyria away while waving for Jack and Laura to follow, “I’m going to give you both a little tour of the place. Laura?”.
“Yes?” she said, walking alongside Jack, who was trailing a few feet behind Kyria and Lulia.
“Please go get their things ready, and have Edric start on lunch, I’m starving.” Lulia ordered.
“At once.”
Laura stopped and bowed, and disappeared.
“Jack, would you please keep up?” Lulia said, not turning around.
Ordering me around too? Jack thought as Kyria looked back and gave him a sympathetic look. He just grimaced and jogged forward to catch up with the two girls.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.