Cats-Tastic | Teen Ink

Cats-Tastic

By gracel247 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
gracel247 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

“Are you blind when you’re born? Can you see in the dark?” If so, you are a Jellicle Cat because “Jellicles can, and Jellicles do”. Premiering on Broadway almost forty years ago, Cats the Musical – based on T.S. Eliot’s Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats – was, and continues to be, an international phenomenon that people of all ages can enjoy.

In 1982, Cats the Musical debuted in the Winter Garden Theater. It follows a tribe of cats called the Jellicles on a very special night when their leader, Old Deuteronomy, picks the cat that will ascend to the Heaviside Layer in order to be reborn. The cats then introduce themselves, sharing their special qualities and talents. At its opening, the show featured the same music it does today, which was masterfully composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber and directed by Trevor Nunn. From the very first performance, Cats was critically acclaimed and destined to be a success. At the Tony Awards in 1983, Cats won Best Musical, Best Book, Best Score, Best Director (Trevor Nunn), Best Supporting Musical Actress (Betty Buckley), Best Costumes (John Napier), Best Lighting (David Hersey) and in the same year, it won a Best Cast Show Album award. Additionally, it won the Lawrence Olivier Musical of the Year award as well as Evening Standard Best Musical within a year of its opening. Eighteen years and almost 8,000 shows later, Cats closed, only to have a London revival in 2014 and subsequent Broadway return in 2016 at the Neil Simon Theater. Although much of the musical remains unchanged, the 2016 Broadway show has a different creative team including new sound and lighting designers. Even though Cats left the Broadway stage for nearly twenty years, it came back better than ever.

Seeing Cats the Musical on Broadway is a distinctly unique experience.  Neil Simon Theater is relatively small, so the space is intimate and provides a connection to the stage, which many shows fail to offer. During “The Naming of the Cats” actors roam the audience fully dressed as cats, adding to the magic of the theater. Although this may not be everyone’s favorite part, I found it interesting and thought that separated it from other musicals I have seen. Another particularly noteworthy aspect of Cats was the execution of the choreography. From the minute the show begins, every movement is purposeful, specifically designed to contribute to the event that is Cats the Musical. Victoria, the young white cat, displays remarkable flexibility and skill throughout her solo in Act I. Furthermore, the partner work in “Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer” is phenomenal. It was elaborate and once again demonstrated the skills of the cast. Overall, the dancing was one of my favorite parts of the show, despite having no personal dance experience.

One of the main criticisms of the show is the lack of plot. Some find it aimless, difficult to follow, and just irrelevant. These feelings are valid, but that does not negate the talent of the show’s performers. The theatrical and vocal portions of the show demonstrate the best of Broadway. It is easy to get lost in the production, but Cats is not impossible to follow. If the audience is willing to let their imagination take them to a new world, Cats the Musical can be appreciated in the way it was meant to be.

Cats the Musical has a remarkable history. When it came out, it set a standard for any future Broadway show. In the years since the original show closed and the revival premiered, Broadway has grown and changed. There are some who may find that Cats is not a show that they enjoy and should look elsewhere for something to see. However, Cats does bring a great deal to the table – or, more accurately, the stage.

Review on the Broadway show Cats the Musical