Training | Teen Ink

Training

August 6, 2018
By Anonymous

Getting a trainer for basketball changed my life. It changed my life because it made me a better player. Since basketball is the only sport I play now I have time to be in the gym training everyday. It’s true hard work pays off. Ever since I started training my trainer and I both got better. I train because I love the sport so much and wanna be great.

The training sessions are hard working. The first session I did was like 2 years ago, during that session I was nervous because it was my first time. During sessions we work on footwork, ball handle, off hand, my shot and many more things. Since then I have gotten way better at everything. The sessions used to be from 10am until like 12. But now that we both wanna be great and love the hard work we do 8am field work until about 10ish and then go do gym work from 10-12. We usually train everyday in the summer or every other day. During school time we train usually every other day.

I met my trainer when I was young because he was a family friend. When I started caring about basketball I asked him to train. I asked him because I wanted to get better. His basketball career is pretty wonderful. He went to college for basketball and

now is trying to go overseas to play. His name is Arinze but me and the people we train with usually call him Ze (zay). The other person I train with when Ze can’t is Xavier but we call him X. X also, went to college for basketball. All 3 of us got close ever since we started training.

I’m thankful for training because it turned me into a better player. It also, made me want to help kids out and make them become better at a young age. I feel like Auburn needs more trainers to make kids be great in life and at sports. Training didn’t just make me a better player, but also, a better person. It made me realize many things. I started doing better in school and life because I realized, the work paid off and I can go somewhere with this sport.

My basketball career so far is good. I play school ball and AAU, AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) is travel basketball. The team I play for is called Central Western. It’s a bunch of kids from CNY on teams. AAU is the best league to play in for a high level. College coaches attend practice and games. The level of competition is usually better in AAU then school ball. The competition is better because you have to try out and it’s not kids from just your school it’s kids from all over.

As you can see training changed my life tremendously. It made me a better person and player. I suggest to many athletes to get a trainer and work hard because it does really pay off. You’ll regret being lazy one day, so I would work hard while you can.