Life Saver | Teen Ink

Life Saver

By carrieip18 BRONZE, Cerritos, California
carrieip18 BRONZE, Cerritos, California

I want to save someone’s life. As a kid, I was bullied for being small. I didn’t have any say about my size and how much I wanted to grow. Whenever a peer had asked me, “Why don’t you grow?” or “Why are you so small?” I would freeze. My response would just be, “Don’t you think I would if I could?” Every time someone said a negative statement about my height or appearance, their words would stick to my brain. I would repeat them to myself throughout the day, as if I was trying to study for a test. I wouldn’t let myself forget the words that had been said to me. It seemed like I wanted the words to affect me.

Growing up with people constantly talking about my appearance made me insecure. Depression occurred. I never understood why I felt like I had to get someone’s approval to make sure I looked okay before I left the house. Depression made many of my daily tasks more difficult than it needed to be. The weirdest part was that no one could help me. It was a battle within myself. One day, my parents took me to a psychologist, Dr. Preston. I would talk to her about 2 days a week about event going on in my life. Right when I thought that no one would be able to help me out of my little hole, Dr. Preston appeared. It took a few years to actually be happy with myself and who I am.

It may sound corny, but truly, I think she saved my life. She helped me through the rough patches. I felt as if no one understood me, except Dr. Preston. This is the reason I would like to be a psychologist. She inspired me. I know it is within my reach. Dr. Preston had saved my life, and if I had the chance, I would be honored to save someone else’s life as well. I know how it feels to be unhappy with myself. It is not a feeling that I would want somebody else to feel. I may not have control over someone else’s feelings, but I do have the ability to help them if allowed to.