Not What I Expected | Teen Ink

Not What I Expected

By TheBookWorm16 SILVER, Flagstaff, Arizona
TheBookWorm16 SILVER, Flagstaff, Arizona

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing"
-Benjamin Franklin

Even though it has only been a few months since I’ve graduated high school, it feels like a lifetime. I’ve learned so much in just the first few months of college….I’ve laughed until I’ve cried and I’ve cried until I laughed. So I thought I would give you a piece of advice about what to expect because when I was a senior in high school, I wish someone had told me these things:

1. The first guy you give your number to probably won’t remember your name the next day….and that’s ok, he’ll be the first of many
2. A kiss is not a promise
3. Your roommate could be your best friend or your worst enemy
4. It’s perfectly fine to stay in on a Friday night...sometimes you just need to be by yourself
5. t’s ok to be homesick and it certainly doesn’t make you look weak
6. It is NOT ok to always be the drunk friend
7. Don’t fall for someone too quickly
8. You are going to meet so many people, don’t worry about impressing everyone
9. If you aren’t interested in someone, don’t lead them on
10. Never keep someone around for the sole purpose of taking advantage of them
11. DO go to class
12. DON’T wait until the last second to write a term paper
13. There’s a fine line between having fun and making an idiot of yourself so be careful
14. Your RA really doesn’t care what you do, just don’t get caught
15. It’s ok to cry
16. You don’t have to pretend to be someone you're not
17. You can’t force someone to care about you. If they don’t put in the effort, they aren’t worth your time
18. Don’t be afraid to open up to people, just be weary of who
19. Don’t forget to laugh
20. Never feel like an idiot, school is tough and there is an intense transition period

21. Rember to call your family, they are adjusting too

22. Know your limits and stick to it

These first few months of college have been a whirlwind of school, tears, laughter, smiles, friends, and new experiences. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it has been really difficult at times...but the good outweighs the bad. It’s been absolutely amazing and I couldn’t be more excited to see what else I learn during the school year. Good luck to all the high school seniors out there!

I have been writing on TeenInk for an extremely long time and each time I write, I try to imagine that I’m helping someone that’s reading. So I hope you enjoy!