Wake Up Call | Teen Ink

Wake Up Call

There I was asleep in my motor home. I was so tired from a hard day of riding and the last thin I wanted to do is wakeup. But you don’t always get what you want. It was two o’ clock a.m. out at the sand dunes. Everybody was asleep except for a couple of my bonehead friends, who were up to no good, as usual.

But most of the time at night they’re not up to any good. They woke me up and told me some very very bad news. They told me that they drove into the canal. I went insane! Who drives into a 300-foot deep canal? We all got into my rail and went to look at the damage. I couldn’t believe what I saw. A pre- runner and three quads were sitting at the bottom of the canal.

It was unbelievable that they did this it’s so stupid! I had no idea how to get them out. But of course my dad had an idea… Pull them out with our tow truck. Duh! Why didn’t I think of that, but we had one problem. The canal was up on the sand highway. The sand highway was nearly impossible to get up with a heavy truck. It is three feet deep sand and a one hundred and fifty feet climb to the top. That’s not an easy task for a six-ton tow truck. It took endless tries, but we eventually got up the highway. By time we had gotten up there was almost no air left in the tires. That was the easy new, now the hard part was to get everything out of the canal.

We had save the hardest for last the truck. There was no problem with getting the quads out. The tow cable was a little too short and we had another problem… We didn’t think that the tow winch was going to be strong enough to pull the truck from the canal.

We had started to winch up the truck, but we were right… the winch wasn’t strong enough to pull the truck up. Another guy with a winch had helped us. With the tow winches it had been an cinch to get the truck up. Just as the truck was getting up over the edge our winch had broken. Everyone had ran to help. One of the guys had jumped into the truck and started it up and took off up the hill.

Once everyone was back at camp we had made breakfast. That was one of the most interesting wake up calls I have and I think I will ever have!