Soulful Eyes | Teen Ink

Soulful Eyes

December 14, 2014
By BlossomM. PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
BlossomM. PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
20 articles 0 photos 5 comments

      My dog has deep, soulful eyes. She stares at me each morning, as though she knows what I'm thinking. She is small and brown, but has a heart the size of a mountain. Her bark is like a trumpet, loud and clear, and she barks at most anything she sees or hears. She takes up most the bed, despite her small size, and sighs deeply whenever you try and move her aside. Her fur is brown and red of color, but is, unfortunately, turning white around the muzzle. Bella, my dog, has been a true gift, appearing in my life like the icing on a cake. She is very protective, loving none but her family, and likes to lie in the sun, inviting a hug from any passing by.

    I don't like to think about her increasing age. She has been with us for so long, it will be hard to imagine life without her. I have experienced many dogs passing away, but all when I was little, and I didn't really know them. I know loosing Bella will be much, much harder.
     The first time I saw Bella, with her big, puppy paws (something she retains to this day) I knew she belonged with my family, and so she did. Like sunshine, she has come into our lives, brightening each day, warming our hearts. But, like everything, her bright spark of life with dim, one day, and go out, but I prefer not to think about it. She is here, now, cuddled at my side, eyes closed, dreaming away. I will treasure her remaining years and when she is gone, I will never forget my dachshund, with her deep, brown eyes and trumpeting bark.


The author's comments:

inspired by my dachshund, bella.