Staying Strong | Teen Ink

Staying Strong

December 5, 2014
By Anonymous

According to Jimmy Dean, “I can not change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination”. My event is taken place in Southern Illinois, during the 2000’s. I was only a few years old. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I too overcame my obstacle of staying strong.
Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate. She got sick when she was a baby and became blind and deaf. Annie Sullivan was hired by the Keller’s  to teach Helen. To overcome Helen’s obstacle, Annie had to teach her trust, obedience, and language.
Like Helen Keller I also had to overcome an obstacle. My obstacle was staying strong, while my parents were doing drugs. My mother tried to sell me for drugs when I was around three years old. When my grandparents found out, they took me away from her and got custody of me. I now live in a stable environment.
Although our obstacles were different, we share a few similarities. We both overcame the fact that we had to stay strong and learn to deal with what we loss. Also, we both were only children when we faced these obstacles. Even though the obstacles we went through were hard, we still got through them.
I overcame the obstacle of staying strong when my parents were not there for me. I learned that my life still was not as bad as Helen’s because I still had all my senses with the obstacle I went through. From my experience, I learned to never give up in life. Helen Keller said “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”.