Lucky | Teen Ink

Lucky

December 12, 2010
By CatherineK SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
CatherineK SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
7 articles 4 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
“In all things it is better to hope than to despair”


On Wednesday I had been teasing him for wearing a purple tie with a purple shirt that didn’t match. Tonight he was wearing a white shirt with, as nerdy as it sounds he’s one of the coolest guys in school, a gray sweater vest and a Loony Toons tie. His hands were on my waist, and my arms were wrapped around his neck. We were slow dancing to the song Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat.
I had decided a week prior to Homecoming that I would go this year. Last year, my freshman year, I thought it was stupid. I went to the mall with my sister and went dress shopping. I picked out a lime green, sparkly dress. If I had blonde hair and wings I really could’ve been Tinkerbell.
I found a group to go with five days before Homecoming, but I didn’t end up going with them. It started as a group of ten people, but more people kept joining, and eventually it grew into a group of thirty people. I decided to go with my sisters group of friends. It actually was the color guard plus boyfriends group, but ever since last year I’ve been an honorary color guard member since one of my best friends is the captain.
We went out for dinner then went to the dance, where my sister told me to scram. I quickly found my own group of friends to hang out with, and soon enough our feet were dirty and black from the gym floor. Halfway through they stopped the music and hearded everyone into the auditorium for the Homecoming King and Queen ceremony. I actually got to vote this year, but no one I voted for won, so I didn’t really care.
Everyone shuffle back to the gym and eventually the DJ played a slow song. All the couples flooded the dance floor, and everyone else stepped to the sides just enjoying the music. Then Dillon asked me to dance. Up until this point, I had considered the night uneventful. Dillon is one of my friends, but I’ve never thought of him as more than that. With my heels I came up to his shoulder. It was slightly awkward at first, but then I remembered what my brother always told me “it’s only awkward if you make it awkward.”
After a few more songs the dance was over and it was time to go home or to an after party. I found my sister and her group. My friend Maddy and her boyfriend were waiting for her mom to come get them because they were going to a movie. I was told to ride with Zach, my best friends boyfriend, so that he didn’t try to pull any moves on Carrie, my best friend. It was brisk outside so Drew, one of Zach’s friends, invited us to sit in his car until Maddys’ mom came. The five of us got into Drew’s car and he cranked up the tunes. Drew’s parents have a lot of money so of course he has a customized Escalade.
He eventually got bored with sitting in the school parking lot and listening to music, so he put the car in drive and took off. The minute he got onto the busy street he started going 90 mph. Carrie and I looked at each other with terrified expressions. If she hadn’t have been there I probably would’ve started crying, but then again, if she wouldn’t have been there I wouldn’t have been there. We peered out the windshield just in time to see Drew speed through a light which was clearly red and had been red for quite a few seconds. It was then that I heard my mom’s voice telling me I was stupid, it was a bad decision. I might get seriously hurt, or worse. There was no comforting thought, only to close my eyes and hope Drew would slow down or go back to the parking lot. Zach got Carrie and I back to my house safely. After introducing Zach to my parents, Carrie and I went straight to my room and fell apart. We were both shaking.
My sophomore Homecoming was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I was in a situation I had no control over. My mom always says teenagers do stupid things, like go faster than the speed limit, to feel the rush of adrenaline. All I felt was fear, and that should be the thing I remember most about that night. It certainly is towards the top of the list, but the thing I remember most is my first slow dance. While I was dancing with Dillon I had my adrenaline rush. I had finally accomplished something nearly every girl wants to do in high school. I suppose you could call my ‘adrenaline rush’ hormones, but whatever you call it, I’ll remember it for many years to come. Yes, Dillon and I are still friends and he has a girlfriend now. He refuses to wear his Loony Toons tie without that same gray sweater vest and white shirt, and I refuse to slow dance to Lucky with anyone other than him. I'm lucky I found a dress on time. I'm lucky my sister let me join her group. I am lucky nothing bad happened that night. I'm lucky I'm alive. I'm lucky I got a chance to slow dance in high school. I'm lucky Dillon is my friend.


The author's comments:
Every time I hear the song Lucky I think of Dillon, then the fear of what could've been the worst homecoming ever comes back, but it always comes back to me remembering how lucky I really am.