divorce | Teen Ink

divorce

By alixandria hahn SILVER, North Lake, Wisconsin
alixandria hahn SILVER, North Lake, Wisconsin

Meaning: “Defender of mankind”—that is what Alixandria is according to some name dictionary. Clumsy, strong, loving, outgoing, independent,—that is what Alixandria is according to me. I love my name: the unique spelling, my personal definition, and the person behind the name. Of course, the name isn’t what makes the person; I had to give my name its definition. Don’t get me wrong, not every Alixandria is exactly like me, but I have never met some who spells it like me. So until I find someone who does, this is how it is going to be defined.

Alixandria got its definition from many harsh, embarrassing, and wonderful experiences. Clumsy is the first word in that definition for a reason. I do some of the weirdest things I have ever heard of. Falling on an escalator. Cutting my finger open because I was using the wrong side of the knife when cutting strawberries. Walking through a screen door. Breaking at least one glass every time I attempt to do dishes. If I kept going I would have a 500 page book on my hands. This is the funny side of Alixandria, the side everyone loves and wants to be around.
On the other side though, it’s a totally different story. Since middle school my parents fought time and time again. As I watched the years pass by the fighting only got worse. I pretended not to notice so I wouldn’t get involved. Then, at the end of my sophomore year my parents sat my little brother and I down in the living room. Told us they were getting a divorce. They could hardly get the words out of their mouths before tears hit their cheeks. That was the first time I had ever seen my dad cry. Now, I have always been afraid to cry in front of people, but I have never had trouble holding it in. I felt like my body was filling with the tears I was holding in, I still didn’t let one tear out. I was the strong one, hence it being the second word in the definition. So don’t let some name dictionary define who you are just because of what your name is, give yourself your own definition and see where it takes you.

i hope people will understand everyone goes through different things in their lives and no one should be jugded on it.