My Brother | Teen Ink

My Brother

March 12, 2018
By JakeGriggs SILVER, West Melbourne, Florida
JakeGriggs SILVER, West Melbourne, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This story is about my brother. My brother’s name is Cillian and currently he is twelve years old. Yes he is my little brother but I don’t think of him as little as much as he is my younger brother. Anyways this was when we lived in Alabama. We have lived in multiple places in the world. We have lived in Japan, Alabama, and currently Florida. We lived in Dothan Alabama. This was where my father was born and my Grandparents live. I enjoyed Alabama greatly. It was very nature oriented and very blue collar I would say. It was also definitely a good climate as it was never too ho which I love. I lived there for 5 years and I enjoyed every second of it. But then we moved to Melbourne Florida when I was eleven. We moved because of a job offer but I’m grateful for it because I love it here. I met my best friend here and I just rediscovered my love for life again. But this memoir is not about me it is about my brother Cillian. One night when we were living in Alabama he was awake late one night and I was already asleep and I just heard a piercing scream in the dead of night. But then out of a sudden that scream turns into a soft cry. I immediately recognized that soft cry. It was my brother. Something terrible had obviously had happened. I would have recognized that voice anywhere. He had really and truly hurt himself. He had just gotten a drink of ice cold water from our stainless steel refrigerator when he was walking to his bed which was also in my room. When he was climbing up his cool bed frame then his foot just slipped on the bed frame and then he went tumbling down and landed unfortunately right on his shoulder.  That’s when the curling hair raising scream awoke me from my peaceful slumber to see him just grasping his shoulder so ferociously.  I immediately see my father and my worried mother come running into my small room and try to calm my brother down He had never been a victim of an injury of this magnitude before so he was obviously shocked and that is quiet understandable. They then immediately took my brother to the emergency room and I was by myself in my room for an hour or so and I was worried but then there was a knock at my door and it was my grandma and I then slept the night at their house but I was really just worried sick but then the next day the result came in and my brother had a broken right collarbone and he would have to wear a cast for six weeks which at the time felt like forever. But then he healed and everything was the same but it was such a chilling experience.