Michelle | Teen Ink

Michelle

February 11, 2014
By erinmwhitten BRONZE, Revere, Massachusetts
erinmwhitten BRONZE, Revere, Massachusetts
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.


Junior year is in full swing, and as the days go on, I have been thinking of my mother quite often. This summer will be nine years since she passed from complications to an awful disease called Multiple Sclerosis, which for the most part affected her quite harshly. As her pain and spouts of episodes grew, she turned to an experimental medicine which ended up producing a lung tumor, and quickly ended her life, when it spread to her brain.

She passed away when I was eight years old, and shortly after she passed, we ended up needing to move from our hometown, to a city not too far away, but everything changed so fast it was all sort of a blur for me.

When I moved, I was quite terrified. New school, new friends, new city, and no mother. It was quite overwhelming, especially watching my father. He quit his job so he could take care of my mom the last few months that he could see her. My grandmother, her mom, also retired early so she could help my mother out. It was overwhelming for the whole family.

Years went on, and my father ended up getting a new job, a new girlfriend, my grandmother stayed more at her own apartment because to say it bluntly, we were getting too old for everyone taking care of us.

Now as a junior in high school, I realize how much has changed. I am graduating next year. Prom is coming up. Things you would wish your mother would be able to experience with you. I love Michelle, she will always be my inspiration to keep doing well in school, not doing drugs or smoking, and no wild teenage party's. I try my hardest to do things I know she would love, and everyday I smile, I know she would be right there hugging me.


The author's comments:
My mother. She pushes me even when she is not here on earth.