A Great Win | Teen Ink

A Great Win

December 16, 2013
By Jordan Weber GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jordan Weber GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Innings pass. Outs take place. But the one thing that keeps everyone engaged...I’m up to the plate next. “Batter up,” shouts the umpire, ready to finish this game.

I walk up. Two outs on the scoreboard. I receive the signs from my coach, and step into the box. The nerves in my body take over.
“Ball one!” says the ump.

I back out. The scent of dirt fills the air.

“Come on one! You can do this. Stay in there, Weber,” my dad shouts from the stands.

I reenter the box. Feet set. Here comes the pitch...and BOOM! There it goes. The ball flies into the air, ready to drop.
Fans cheer.

“Keep coming, Jordan. Keep coming,” yells my coach from third base.

My cleats dig hard into the gravel. Moving faster and faster, I gain speed.

“Down!” my coach screams, as I arrive closer to third. I drop into the dirt and wait.

“Safe. She is safe,” the umpire says as I lay on the ground. I get up and get into stance. And I wait for the pitch. My teammate, Mackenzie, heads into the box next.

Have I been standing on third for an hour? Balls go by but not a single thing happened. The pitcher steps onto the mound. Mackenzie, in the box, starts to shake. I wait for the wind up. The pitcher releases the ball. I build up speed.

“Way to go, Mack. Nice rip!” my coach screams. Mackenzie reaches first base for a single.

“Safe at first,” the umpire says.

I reach the plate. My final destination before the dugout. Fans roar as another run scores. The score 2-2. Girl on first. Two outs. This run scores, and the win is ours.

“Strategy, girls. Strategy and playing smart is the key to success,” my coach says.

Mackenzie stands quietly on first. The pitch is released. The ball flies over the catcher's head. Mackenzie steals second base. Now in scoring position, she waits for the next pitch.

Minutes pass, Mackenzie still on second.

“3-2,” the umpire shouts.

Two outs. 3-2 count. This next pitch determines the game.

“Head down, Ab. Contact!” my teammates and I scream from the dugout. The pitcher winds up. The stadium silences. Here comes the pitch...and a hit! Abbey rounds first base as Mackenzie comes to round third. She looks into the outfield. Finds the ball. Runs towards home.
“DOWN!” the fans all shout! The umpire pauses. What is the call?

“SAFE,” the umpire shouts. Fans cheer from the victory.

“Line it up girls. Great win.” my coach says.


The author's comments:
This piece is a real game that was a "Great Win" to end my last year's season of softball.