Dear Gina | Teen Ink

Dear Gina

December 5, 2011
By oriGINAlity GOLD, Williamsburg, Michigan
oriGINAlity GOLD, Williamsburg, Michigan
10 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you follow the crowd you might get lost in it.


Hi it’s me, which is you. But I am the sixteen-year-old you and not twenty-six-year-old you. Which probably makes a big difference. Twenty-six is the age that I decided to write to you in the future, because it’s ten years later than now and as we both know an even number is nice. If your love for even numbers has diminished I’d be surprised! Anyway, I just have a few questions for you, a few friendly reminders nothing to serious. So let’s get started.
Did you ever learn to drive? I know I am very uninterested and quite frightened by the idea of getting behind the wheel, but if you learned that is amazing I can’t believe it! If not I totally can believe it. So don’t feel bad. Hey, if you didn’t learn are you living in place with a mild year-round climate and great public transit? If so, sweet!
Who is your best friend? Do you have one now? At this current moment you don’t have a “BFF” but you should know how extremal lucky you are to have such an amazing family, they are the real best friends you could ever have. But if you have found your Diana Berry of kindred spirits that is wonderful.
I hope you really are making the best of it. What ever is going on in my life now as you read this I hope you are making it worthwhile, fun and simple. I’m not going to hold you to some amazing stipulations of being a millionaire, movie star or discoverer of aliens (you are currently watching reruns of The X-Files, hopefully this explains the alien fascination.... by the way what does David Duchovny look like now?) anyway all of those accomplishments would be very cool but not in the slightest change my opinion of you, I mean me, as an adult. Oh, who am I kidding? If you are doing something amazing like uncovering government cover-ups or selling millions of copies of your debut novel that is awesome! What I’m trying to say is that amazing doesn’t have to be big. So if you are for some reason under the impression that it does slap yourself now and get with the program.
Don’t forget about your promise to be yourself. It was broken once and I’d hate to find it broken again. If it is it will affect YOU the most. Which is me. And I’ve already made that mistake so please, just don’t. It would save me a lot of trouble. Don’t forget what it is like to be happy. If you have, stop whatever you are doing, think about what would make you happy and do it. Life should be fun.

Sincerely,

Me