Business Owner Tony Q. | Teen Ink

Business Owner Tony Q. MAG

My dad, Tony Quick, has worked for the same company for many years. Even though he only went as far as high school, he has made a great living. Raised by his grandparents and mother, he now lives with his wife and two children.

What did you do to start your own business?

First, I had to complete a business course and the state contractor’s boards, and then I became a corporation. I had to invest in a few trucks and put out fliers. The next thing you know, I was in business. I spent every penny I’d saved.

What advice would you give others who want to create their own business?

Make sure you understand it is a 24-hour deal and takes a lot of preparation. It also takes a lot of money. You might need a loan but a good education is also a help.

Do you have a specialty?

Bathrooms. I make wheelchair-accessible showers and design a lot of bathrooms for handicapped and elderly people.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?

When customers’ eyes light up when they see the finished product, especially elderly people who before had trouble bathing themselves and now have a fully accessible bathroom. And when I get my paycheck, of course.

Have you ever experienced any injuries?

Little cuts, mostly. I keep the job site clean and pay a lot of attention so it is very safe. In 20 years I haven’t been injured other than a few cuts and maybe some saw dustin my eyes, which makes me cry like a baby.

Is the trend to take older homes, gut them, and then remodel them?

You could call it that since lots of people are trying to make a profit doing it. It won’t last because it is getting to the point where many can’t afford them.

If you could work for a company, would you?

I don’t want to, that’s why I’m trying to work for myself. I’ve worked for some who say they are all about something but then turn out to be hypocrites. Besides, I’m stubborn. I don’t have the same outlook as this generation. When you tell someone you will be there at seven, you arrive at ten to seven. You do what you say you are going to do. As Forrest Gump says, work is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

My biggest strength is I can always figure out and get the job done to satisfy me and the customer. I never take shortcuts and always have satisfied customers.

I’m dyslexic and I hate when I cut a board too short. I have to be really careful with measurements. Other than that, my job is a piece of cake.

What pressure or stress do you experience? How do you handle it?

Getting vendors to do what they say they are going to do. I always have to satisfy the customers and explain why there is a delay, then I take a couple of deep breaths and get back to work.

Arti.M BRONZE said...
on Feb. 24 2017 at 2:12 am
Arti.M BRONZE, Tirana, Other
Great article!!