Mahbouba Seraj: The Female Heroine of Afghanistan | Teen Ink

Mahbouba Seraj: The Female Heroine of Afghanistan

August 16, 2023
By Sahar123 BRONZE, New City, New York
Sahar123 BRONZE, New City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Mahbouba Seraj: The Female Heroine of Afghanistan


“Azadi”, freedom, something Afghan women saw wiped away from their lives as if it was a stain on a counter. Every day that the sun dawns on the isolated women of Afghanistan is yet another day that they live in fear and control. The once progressive and democratic country has lapsed into a state of domineering radicalism drenched in vicious inequality. Over the millions of hushed female voices in the country, one voice continues to rise above and fight against the oppression. Mahbouba Seraj’s indefatigable devotion to women’s rights is a paragon for social activism. 

The now 75 year old activist has shaped the paradigm for all Afghan women and has aided millions with her work. Seraj is the creator of the radio program “Our Beloved Afghanistan by Mahbouba Seraj”, the program creates a space for women and allows them to speak their mind, something that has become increasingly rare. Alongside her program, she stands as the founder and president of the Organization for Research in Peace and Solidarity (ORPS). The organization encourages young individuals to investigate the meaning behind peace and solidarity through conducting research and surveys. Seraj’s advocacy for education is a unique objective that she hopes to one day be normalized in the country. Her success, intelligence, and drive has inspired women of all social standings to stand their ground. She currently acts as the Executive Director of Afghan Women Skills Development Center. Seraj implores the international community to recognize the female population in Afghanistan that remains unseen, powerless, and suppressed. She vocalizes how women currently have no access to education, healthcare, employment, or money.  Since 2013 she has participated with the New Deal for Fragile States Process and similarly, sits on the Board of Advisory for ND at the Ministry of Finance. These positions develop a female perspective in primarily male spaces and allow a voice to aid the silenced population of Afghanistan. Her words continue to raise awareness to a situation that would have otherwise remained unheard of. Her bravery and persistence act as the foundations to her activism. She fights against corruption, evil, and injustice. She fights against what others are too scared to even glance upon. Her actions exhibit the true nature of womanhood and indicate the female capacity to achieve greatness. Her existence is proof to millions of girls that they can reach for the stars, regardless of the world’s maltreatment. She is a role model to all women, not only Afghans. Her message transcends language and cultural barriers. Her initiatives touch the hearts of all women, from the female UN ambassadors to the American suburban housewives. Seraj is a pioneer of the women’s movement in Afghanistan but also a champion of female freedom worldwide. 

Seraj’s ideology is based on the principle of targeting corruption with the intention of establishing peace. While not being afraid to speak the truth about the adamant collapse of her country, she never extinguishes the hope that things will get better. Seraj admires, “Afghan women are some of the most resourceful and strong women in the world: their resilience is unbreakable”. She continues to declare her love for Afghanistan and its people. She highlights the beautiful side of the country; the hardworking people, the camaraderie in this time of danger, the fearlessness. So, not only does her activism underscore the capability of women, but it also displays another side of Afghanistan wholly incompatible with the one shown in the media. Seraj’s presence diminishes the one-sided story that Afghan women lack the capacity for more. But, it also shows the capability of Afghans in general. It reduces the stereotype that all Afghans are poor, uneducated, radicalized individuals that have a tendency toward failure. Along with her many other roles and positions, she has been recently nominated for the 2023 Nobel Peace Prize, yet another case of her achievements as a social justice activist. Seraj’s bravery is applauded mostly because she stayed in Afghanistan even after many others fled. She admonishes those who preach taking a hardline stance against the Taliban after fleeing the country, saying that “They should come back and see what life is like for those who cannot leave”. She has made it known to the world that it is impossible for the impoverished women and children of the country to survive if the world refuses to speak and negotiate with the Taliban. Her strive towards engagement is a controversial suggestion but what she believes is the only path that might achieve the peace that the country desperately needs. 

Mahbouba Seraj’s dedication to education is a belief that has the power to assuage the struggles of women all around the world. Her doctrine is one that deserves to be acknowledged by all. Seraj has taken a stand against the forces of evil, she uses her words and her mind to make a change in this world. She is proof that it is possible to alter the world you live in and that drifting powerlessly is not the singular path. Her actions stimulate discourse and inspire righteousness. She has spent her whole life working for humanity and for this, she is a social justice activist that can be used as the exemplar for all the prospective youth of the world.

 

 

 

 

Works Cited 


2022, 12 August. “In the Words of Mahbouba Seraj: ‘We Are the Hope, We Are the Power Keeping Afghanistan Together.’” UN Women – Headquarters, 12 Aug. 2022, www.unwomen.org/en/news-stories/in-the-words-of/2022/08/in-the-words-of-mahbouba-seraj-we-are-the-hope-we-are-the-power-keeping-afghanistan-together.

“First Person: ‘we Are the Hope, We Are the Power Keeping Afghanistan Together’ | UN News.” United Nations, news.un.org/en/story/2022/08/1124772. Accessed 15 Aug. 2023.

“Home.” AWSDC, awsdc.org.af/biography-of-mahbouba-seraj/. Accessed 15 Aug. 2023.

“Mahbouba Seraj.” NGO Working Group on Women, Peace and Security, www.womenpeacesecurity.org/peacebuilder/mahbouba-seraj/. Accessed 15 Aug. 2023.

O’Donnell, Lynne. “A Nobel Nominee’s Controversial Call for Engagement with the Taliban.” Foreign Policy, 6 Feb. 2023, foreignpolicy.com/2023/02/06/taliban-afghanistan-women-ban-mahbouba-seraj-nobel-diplomacy/.

“Why This Afghan Women’s Rights Activist Wants the World to Talk to the Taliban | CBC Radio.” CBCnews, 25 Jan. 2023, www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/mahbouba-seraj-afghanistan-1.6725911.

“‘We Are Erased.’” OHCHR, 10 Oct. 2022, www.ohchr.org/en/stories/2022/10/we-are-erased.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to inspire and teach individuals the power of sticking true to yourself. I wanted to shed light on a person not many people may be aware of and bring awareness to a relevant global issue. I hope you all learned something new and enjoyed this piece.