Thank You, Veteran. | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran.

By summer811 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
summer811 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home! I can’t even put into words how thankful I am for your service. You have given your life, time, love, and energy to defend our nation. You are an honorable person and thank you doesn’t seem like enough to say. Your dedication, willingness, and strength is admirable. The sacrifices you have made cannot be summed up in this letter, but I hope in some way I am able to convey my gratitude.

My name is Courtney and I’m a Senior in High School. College is right around the corner for me and I’m starting to realize how difficult it is to leave friends, family, and home to go to an unknown place. This unknown place can be terrifying and full of fear and worries. I’m sure you felt the same way as you embarked on your journey to fight in war and defend our country. Your drive and resilience is motivating and reassures me that I can do anything.

I am reminded of your bravery and strength especially on holidays, such as Memorial Day. My community has a Memorial Day Parade that my family attends every year. It is a day to remember those that have sacrificed their lives for our country. This event is uplifting and positive. In addition, 4 years ago I visited Washington D.C. with my school and had the opportunity to visit the Memorial sites. I had the chance to see the Vietnam Memorial and all the names of the people that fought for our country. The site was extremely emotional and had a big impact on the visitors including myself. These memories of the Memorial Day Parade and visiting Washington D.C. to view the Memorial sites will stick with me forever and I cannot thank you enough.

I pray that your life is full of overwhelming joy. For your service was selfless and deserves praise. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Courtney