Mr.Cotter | Teen Ink

Mr.Cotter

By EmilyHoang SILVER, Pelham, Alabama
EmilyHoang SILVER, Pelham, Alabama

Mr. Cotter, also known as the “philosopher.” It all started last year. Every time I step foot in his earthly classroom I feel alive.  At first, I thought he was going to be an uncaring, bald, old, teacher, trying to get through the period like all teachers. I sat in my assign seat, when he shout something out of the blue…I can’t quite recollect what it was, but he for sure astonish everybody in the class. He is a science teacher, who deeply cares for each individual student. He gives speeches and lessons about life complications I go through every day. He brings so much joy into this school environment. I have many thoughts in his classroom. For example, sometimes I live through life, not knowing what goes on. I sit there and I think to myself what am I doing here? What is it that I’m supposed to do? I hear voices but I just ignore them. I hear nothing, absolutely nothing. I’ll be gone in a couple of months thinking is anyone going to miss me? Am I important? I wake up living life not knowing the important meaning of my life. I feel vacant, sorrow, and depress... I’m afraid. I’m terrified to be unaccompanied. I don’t want to be alone. I don’t want to feel this way. But I do. Help. As I keep on saying in my head. Help me. Help me forget the pain I feel inside every day. Help me not miss my cousin who was sent to heaven. Help me learn to love because a senseless boy broke my heart? Am I depressing? No. It’s just an excuse to be wretched when I know there are better things in life. It’s tough to figure out what I want to do in life or where I want to go. It’s already hard figuring out where to eat where there’s an outing. I go on life discerning everything is fine, but when really I have no clue in the world why I am the way I am. I’m not supposed to have everything crystal clear but my life seems a blur. I stroll down the same hallways every day at schools. It’s cold, boiling, crowded, and even unfilled. As I’m casually grinding my mystery mint gum, my hands are still rolling on this keyboard. My fingers are persistent with the letters as my brain talks. My eyes are drowsy from the uncomfortable time I spent trying to figure out a good position to rest my head on my feather pillow. I’m just a girl who have unplanned thoughts and ponder way too much throughout the day. I feel like I’m unwise sometimes…Maybe I am? I wonder what life would be if we all achieve our goals? Sometimes we tend to fail and give up because we feel like it’s getting nowhere, but sometimes we stay and fight for it. I use “you” and “I” because at the end of the day someone can relate to the way I’m feeling and maybe not? We’re all alike. My attention still flows as I press against the letter of this dell laptop. Deliberating can anybody hears or sees me. Can they hear my thoughts? Can they see me being so oblivious and blank? The questions I have for myself may never get responded. But that’s the way life is. It’s supposed to be mysterious, amusing, spontaneous… I put random periods, because I feel like there’s some extra words I need to say, but don’t. We waste our days as time goes by quarrelling, tormenting, about things that can be fix into agreements and happiness. Happiness doesn’t occur lifetime or endlessly. It’s provisional, but if you live a content life forever and the whole enchilada in the world is picture perfect then there must be something wrong. I’m still thinking and this is going to be an uncompleted thing for me. Mr. Cotter has this clear ball in the room and it’s a gift from his daughter. It’s so intriguing but in reality it’s just a clear vacant ball. That is how I describe Mr. Cotter. He enlightens us with his personality and teaching skills all in one. Without Mr. Cotter life is dull. Thank for all you do. I appreciate you and ant to honor you for the farfetched things you do for me as a teacher.

Richcoca PLATINUM, Canoga Park, California

Make as many as mistakes as you want, just don't make the same mistake.

Wow. That was beautifully put. The philosopher really inspired you, didn't he?