Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

January 30, 2015
By lesly_estrada SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
lesly_estrada SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Educator of the Year

As a student I’ve seen different types of teachers. The teacher who sits in his chair on his computer doing who knows what, always seems to hunch his back as he walks cross the room trying to get his class together. While his students are in they’re desks using their cellphone. While others are standing up play fighting, laughing talking about different topics minding no attention. Then there is the teacher that is very strict and without a doubt will send someone out if they waste more then 5 minutes of his/her teaching time with their distractions. This teacher won’t accept late work, students will struggle or achieve in that class because some will turn in there work in time. While other get send out or fall asleep and then it’s to late to turn in their work. Then there is the teacher that is a rule follower in front of other staff. Yet once in a while breaks the rules to make things more fun in class so everyone can participate and he/she can get their lesson through. Last but not lest then there is always that teacher that falls in between all of them .
Being choose for educator of the year shouldn’t have to do with how much homework you gave out through out the year, if you dressed nice and how strict you are etc. It should be about how well the teacher gets along with their students, how they put in their part to help the student to understand the course more, if they were able to change your life by teaching you things you need to know and giving you life advice. The teacher who wins this award should get it just because they never gave homework through the whole school year or they are attractive. They should get this award if they made change in a student’s life, or even the community.
Who I choose for educator of the year is my 7th grade math teacher, Mr.Moffett. I feel like as if he deserves this award in my honor. As a middle school student I took pre-algebra my 7th grade year since I was in honors, I thought I was going to struggle. First day I met him he was so kind and nice, and I was surprised that through out the school year he stayed that way. Through out the year there wasnt a time when I didn’t understand anything because he explained in everything clearly. He made jokes to make time go by, change topics once in a while but when we had to get things done we got to it. He was the type of teacher that if you need help or someone to talk to that didn’t have to involve
Math he was the one to go to. When the year ended I was really upset, that he wasn’t going to be my teacher but he told all of us to visit him whenever we need help with math or anything else. I’m in 11th grade and to this day I still go every year to go vist him to get math help and he makes everything so easy, and to catch up.  Ill walk though the halls to get to his class and walk in his class with a smile saying Mr.Moffet and he will looked surprised each time saying it was a pleasure to see me again telling me how old and grown I’m becoming. I feel like as a teacher commutation with yours students is a really big thing, if you don’t have good commutation things wont be well explained.