Barbra Farmer: Teacher of the year | Teen Ink

Barbra Farmer: Teacher of the year

January 30, 2014
By CMort812 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
CMort812 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In history, teachers and students, don’t really get along. I Have always believed that teachers were only there to teach and students were only there to learn. I never thought that teachers would ever have anything to do with my personal life until me and Mrs. Farmer (science teacher) had a long sit down. We talked over all the problems in my life and to my surprise she was willing to help. What teacher do you know that would interrupt their own life to help the ones of their students?


Eighth grade year was the worst year of my life. During Christmas and New Years break of the 2010-2011 school year my life did a complete 360. I went from having a perfect family with a nice house, a dog and a yard for her to play in, to having no where to go. Everything was changing rapidly. I missed the first week of school coming back from break and the first person to greet me was Mrs. Farmer. I could hear the concern in her voice, she really cared about me.


As I told her the story of what happened I could sense the sincerity in her responses. At this point I knew I could tell her everything and trust her with the knowledge that I was afraid to share with anyone. With every day that passed and every conversation spoken, our relationship grew stronger. I began trusting her with things I wasn’t able to trust anyone else with. What she did next though, is what really makes her the teacher of the year.


When my family was abandoned, with no place to go, we were admitted to a homeless shelter. At the moment we had no other place to go and I was ok with it for the time being but there was a down side that would devastate my mother, sister and myself. My dog had no place to go. We would have to place her in a animal shelter or give her back to the breeder. She was only a little bit over a year old at the time, but she was already a big part of the family. That would have been the biggest loss of my life if it wasn’t for Mrs. Farmer. The next day I went to school and once again had a conversation with Mrs. Farmer, and once again she comes to the rescue. She offers to take in my dog until we were able to find a permanent place to stay.











Her kindness and caring brought my family to tears of happiness. Not only did she help me out with my personal life but she also took the time after school to help me stay on track in all my classes. Whenever I need help in Skyline middle school, Mrs. Farmer was the one I went to each and every time. I truly believe that if it wasn’t for Barbra Farmer, I wouldn’t be who I am today. I want to thank you personally for changing my life and I hope you get a chance to read this yourself. You deserve it.


The author's comments:
Teachers may not be students favorite people, but you might be surprised about how much some actually care.