College | Teen Ink

College

By Emo_In_The_Closet SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Emo_In_The_Closet SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

College is a race. I could be in the lead, and be ahead of things. Or I could be in the back, and trailing behind everyone on assignments. I will still get credited for participation and effort, no matter what. Unless I’m in dead last place, and the one who is dawdling, miles behind everyone else. Since I know that I will never be behind on classes, college should be easy. One of my biggest goals for the future is to go to college. I have three reasons as to as why; it’d make my friends and family proud, I’d gain skills, and I’d learn how to support my friends and family.

The first reason I want to go to college is so that I will make my family and friends proud. They would be proud of me for getting a degree. They’ll be proud of me for being able to manage on my own and provide for my necessities. They’ll also be proud of me for holding myself accountable, being responsible, and getting all of my work done on time. Another thing they’d be proud of is that I set a goal, and I achieved it. The last thing they’d be proud of is that I’d be a role model; the kid who doesn’t drink, go to parties, or do anything promiscuous. I'm the kid who is always ahead of their work.

The second reason for me to go to college is that I’ll be gaining skills. I’ll need most of the skills that I learn from college in the future. One of those skills is learning how to plan, or make a schedule, of everything that I need to get done. Another skill is learning how to be healthy and safe in the things that I do. While also making sure that I know about things that aren’t safe. I’d also join a cooking class so that I can be able to cook or bake for myself and others in the future. The last skill I’d learn is how to pay for necessities, write checks and deposit them, and use money in an effective fashion.

The last reason I want to go to college is so that I can support my family and friends. Whether that be my current family, or if I start a new one. One reason that I’ll be able to support my family is that I’d get a good job. My parents said that the more education I have, the more money I’d make. They’re right, I’ll be wanted in more jobs because of experience. So, I’d have a wider range of job choices. My last reason is that I’d learn how to take care of myself. If I know how to take care of myself, it’ll be easier for me to take care of others. I’m sure I’ll have to take a medical class in the future, so I will know what to do if one of my friends or family members get hurt.

A big goal for my the future is to go to college. By going to college, I’d make my family and friends proud, gain skills that I’ll need in the future, and I’ll be able to support my friends and family. “There is no elevator to success, you will have to take the stairs.” That ties with what I said, college is a race, you have to work hard to get anywhere. Basically, what I’m saying is, working hard in everything I do, especially school, will affect me in the future. Working hard now will help me in the future. My choices currently will affect me later. Those choices will set me down a specific path, and it’s my choice which path I want to take.