Another Day in My Thoughts | Teen Ink

Another Day in My Thoughts

October 23, 2018
By kmillet BRONZE, Manchester, New Hampshire
kmillet BRONZE, Manchester, New Hampshire
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Thank you, have a nice day!

Here I go again, trooping back into this madhouse for another shift, slowly passing the two tables with brochures, blue and black pens, and waivers to reach the golden door to enter the chaos. I feel like I live here sometimes. I am either here or at school; thinking of school, I cannot wait to leave and possibly never return. I’d rather be in this madhouse than at school, if I am being honest. At least I have some fun at this place. Who wouldn’t? Also, was that a polite person who just held the door open for me?

Hey! I am.

Um, thanks? I know I look tired, and do you want to know why? BECAUSE I AM! I mean, I know it is one o’clock in the afternoon, but cut me some slack; I was up all night doing homework. I am sorry that you are not here all weekend, day after day, from noon to close like someone I know. Me, I am talking about myself. Thank god I am doing private parties and cashier today instead of open gym. I pray for those who have to. The worst shift for open gym has to be the twelve to five. It’s a nightmare; for some odd reason kids refuse to listen. Maybe because it is crazy packed during that time. I don’t know, who knows. My party needs to hurry up and arrive, so I can go bounce on the bouncy houses and hangout. Isn’t that crazy? I get paid to keep parents satisfied with their visits and play on bouncy houses! I am pretty much a host for a party. I am attending a random kid’s birthday party full of their normal and even weird relatives. Oh shoot, a customer! I wonder what this person wants now since I just spoke to them two minutes ago.

Good afternoon.

Hello buddy!

Welcome, how may I help you?

Listen lady, I am just an employee. There is no reason whatsoever that you are giving me an attitude and being rude because we charge a fee for blowing up balloons. Newsflash hunny, helium cost money. I mean, I understand that we are a bit pricey and all but, it was your choice to spend that much money on the party; no one held a gun to your head saying have your child’s party here or you die. Another newsflash for you, I DO NOT SET THE PRICES!! Jeez. I have only been here for three hours. Why does time always go by slow when I am here? I enjoy my job, I honestly do, but man, sometimes it becomes out of control. I wonder where that lady went and paid for her nails to be done like that; they look super nice. Why is that child climbing on top of the bouncy house? Where are these children’s parents?

Oh my!! How old is this munchkin?

BABY FEVER! BABY FEVER! BAAABY FEVER!! Why do I have baby fever? I don’t even want kids, but look at this little cutie pie. He is so precious. He is so little with the prettiest hazel eyes and black curly hair. Back to that lady’s nails; I really need to have mine done and hers were just the perfect almond shape. Why are these children screaming? There is no need for it, like can you children bounce in silence or bounce a little quieter? Please. It is packed beyond packed right now. Why are people arriving now with only an hour left to bounce. WE LITERALLY CLOSE IN ONE HOUR! GO HOME! Also, there are so many children songs out there, from the classics to Disney, so why do we play the same exact songs every single day?! I wonder if the parents or even the children end up as annoyed as I do about the repetitive song choices. They probably do. Who wants to listen to the same songs every time they visit a certain place? I know I wouldn’t, neither would my coworkers considering we talk about it all the time.

Is that all for today?

Great!

Please join us again!!

Is that the fifteen minute warning for closing announcement I hear! YES! YES! YES! GET ME OUT OF HERE! Alright everyone, start moving. I am begging you, even though you can not hear what I am saying or read my mind, to not move as slow as a sloth at the moment. My bed is calling my name. Everyone clear out! You know what? I am going to start cleaning because there are only four people here, but first playing on the equipment for a few minutes won’t hurt, right? Well, unless I fall, break something, twist an ankle, or fly off the slide. Ehhh. Whatever, I will be fine. Wait. What if I break a nail? HM. I need them done anyways. SEE YA!

PLOP!

I have such a fun job! I could not be happier about where I work. Yeah, I end up with a headache here and there. Hey, I even have unhappy customers that tend to yell at me but only rarely, and most of my coworkers are great and cooperate. I also work with my best friend! Now, who can say that?! I freaking work with my best friend!! A girl just wants some dippin dots but does not want to pay. HELLO! IS THERE ANY KIND CUSTOMER LEFT IN THIS AMAZING PLACE WHO WOULD LIKE TO BUY THIS HARD-WORKING GIRL SOME DIPPIN DOTS?? Anyone at all? NO? Fabulous! I will remember that the next time you want some pizza, mozzarella sticks, or even a drink. What to do. What to do. I hear the official closing announcement!! HAHA!! I should go check what I have to do for my closing task.

Bathrooms!!!

HERE I GO AGAIN!! Why do I always have to clean the bathrooms? I do not understand how people are this messy. We do bathroom checks throughout the whole day, too. I see the flashing opening sign, and...BAM! It is no longer flashing!! SWEET RELIEF!! Everyone is gone!! I will never process how someone can leave a bathroom stall like this. Okay. How does someone get their fingerprints all the way at the top of the mirror? I AM A LITTLE SHORT HERE, PEOPLE!! I’m not as tall as the Eiffel Tower. Alright. Girl, the quicker you finish this, the quicker we can go home. Gloves on. Hair up. Let's do this. Wait a minute, it does not matter how quickly I leave because guess what? I will be passing the two tables with brochures, blue and black pens, and waivers and reaching the golden door to enter the chaos bright and early tomorrow morning. HOORAY!


The author's comments:

This piece is an interior monologue that represent myself at work. It was both interesting and enjoyable to write because I was able to get into my own head a little bit without even realzing it.