Technology is Taking Over | Teen Ink

Technology is Taking Over

By graciemeade BRONZE, Piedmont, Oklahoma
graciemeade BRONZE, Piedmont, Oklahoma

What will we tell the next generation about the 2020s? In an era of social distancing and quarantining, technology has been society’s crutch. Streaming services have been highly popularized as users binge watch viral TV series like Bridgerton, and Tiger King. Additionally, technology has become impactful on education in the United States. For entertainment, people have been turning to Tik Tok as the latest and greatest social media platform. In summary, this moment in history is most heavily defined by the time we spend online; from school work to entertainment, we look to our screens for everything. 

One of the newest activities people are finding themselves partaking in at this time is binge watching. As a result of recent technological changes, like the popularity of streaming services, binge watching has become a phenomenon that is all the rage at this moment in history. Binge-watching has undoubtedly become the common and entertaining way of consuming media content, such as TV series, for the contemporary audience. A public health study over the act stated, “binge-watching has undoubtedly become the common and entertaining way of consuming media content, such as TV series, for the contemporary audience” (Starosta).  Because of how common this activity now is, it can definitely be seen as a defining part of this moment in history, especially because it is most likely here to stay. In the coming years society will begin to see the implications of this popularized activity as some have predicted in the long run it will have negative effects like causing procrastination, insomnia, and obesity. Regardless of whether it is positive or negative, anyone and everyone is binge watching right now. 

Additionally, the coronavirus pandemic has changed how children are learning, but what implications could that have on children growing up in this virtual environment? Virtual learning is another way technology has taken over this moment in history. Some children have never even attended in person school for a full year, causing medical professionals and parents to be concerned that this social isolation and increased screen time from virtual learning  is causing developmental issues in young children (D’Souza). Growing up going to school surrounded by other young children helps us to develop socially, and children today are missing out on that. It is also a common concern that high school and college age teens and young adults are not getting the education they need to enter the workforce well rounded and educated (Chait). These concerns are valid and show just how paramount virtual learning is right now. Distance learning is one of the most defining events happening today.

In this time of social distancing and quarantining, society has turned to social media to stay connected. A recent way that people are doing so is via a newly popular social media app called TikTok. This app has revolutionized the world of social media and therefore is a defining part of this moment in history. TikTok is a social media platform that shows users based on an algorithm that predicts what that user wants to see. It is this algorithm that has made the app so popular and addicting (Herrman). Viral trends and dances are what have made this app captivating to an audience of all ages. Although it is entertaining, experts are advising parents to keep their kids off of TikTok, and other social media, until they are in their teens (Ehmke). Regardless, TikTok is one of the most popular apps out there right now. It  is an increasingly popular and game changing social media app for all ages that has proven to be a significant part of this moment in history.

In summary, technology has been a greatly influential part of this moment in history. Our society is captivated by digital entertainment sources like streaming services and social media. The next generation is learning academics and social skills through a screen. Some may argue that these topics are not very important to this time, but this fusing of culture and technology is definitely going to alter the future of our country. We rely on technology now in more ways than ever. So what implications will this have for the future? A new generation of tech dependent and virtually educated people could have a very serious positive or negative impact on the world around us. Regardless of its effects on the future, it is unarguable that technology has been a defining piece of what sets this moment in history apart. 

Works Cited

Chait, Jonathan. “Remote Learning Is a Catastrophe. Teachers Unions Share the Blame.” Intelligencer, 7 Oct. 2020, nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/10/remote-education-distance-learning-schools-teacher-unions-red-for-ed.html. 

D'Souza, Karen. “Distance Learning Stokes Fears of Excessive Screen Time.” EdSource, EdSource, 23 Nov. 2020, edsource.org/2020/distance-learning-stokes-fears-of-excessive-screen-time/644165. 

Ehmke, Rachel “How Using Social Media Affects Teenagers.” Child Mind Institute, 16 June 2020, childmind.org/article/how-using-social-media-affects-teenagers/

Herrman, John. “How TikTok Is Rewriting the World.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 10 Mar. 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/style/what-is-tik-tok.html. 

Starosta, Jolanta A, and Bernadetta Izydorczyk. “Understanding the Phenomenon of Binge-Watching-A Systematic Review.”  International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, MDPI, 22 June 2020, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7344932/.

My name is Gracie and I am a junior at Piedmont High School.