The Influence of Pop Culture | Teen Ink

The Influence of Pop Culture

February 8, 2016
By LBailey BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
LBailey BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pop culture reaches millions of viewers daily in the USA. Through television, movies, social media, magazines or any other way it reaches them, pop culture portrays countless representations of society as a whole. One controversial issue at hand is how viewers are affected by pop culture. On countless occasions we see how pop culture has, and has not, been able to affect its viewers, whether it be positive or negative. Pop culture has failed to impact its viewers in the most necessary ways to benefit society.


Pop culture has successfully reached out to its viewers and followers in many ways. We have seen this example in role models. Professional athletes, singers, or politicians have represented the lifestyle that people strive for. On the contrary the negative role models have in many ways enforced, for example, the horrors of drug addictions. Both circumstances have proven to impact the lives of many people. Ambitions drive people to work hard to be the best like LeBron James.


Another way that pop culture has impacted its viewers is trends. Trends can vary from clothes, dances, music or activities. Cam Newton’s dab has changed the dancefloor. Kylie Jenner’s makeup Instagram account has changed how girls prepare themselves. Red carpet events have decided who its viewers buy from and what they were. Two girls dancing at a gas station shot Fetty Wap’s new album up the charts. Jennifer Lawrence has fronted women empowerment over social media and television.


Although there are countless accounts where pop culture has impacted society, pop culture fails to impact the most necessary social issues facing the US. Body image is a plague dwelling on the millions of inhabitants within US borders.


Eating disorders are linked to celebrities. Celebrities claim to be living active, healthy lifestyles, playing active roles in the fight to a healthier America. However it hasn’t worked. The shocking looks and features of celebrities are unrealistic comparisons that viewers feel the need to match. Eating disorders have swept over the nation, young people every day are active anorexics or bulimics. Another effect of the inability to influence viewers is obesity. Shows like The Biggest Loser as well as cooking shows, daily promote weight loss and healthy lifestyles. Yet capitalism wins as corporations feed off of people’s addictions to processed foods and unhealthy lifestyles. Pop culture has failed to portray healthy lifestyles to people.


In the US alone over 42,000 people are successful in suicidal attempts every year. Why? It is always uncertain for sure. Whether it be depression, self-consciousness, bullying or a seemingly unescapable problem. One think links all these causes of suicide, they can be prevented as a community. Be enforcing the fact that all people belong we can effectively change this horrifying number. Everyone should feel like they belong, not having to live up to social pressures or standards, or rejected a friendship or opportunity because of how they look or carry themselves.


As a society, the US people have to unite. Pop culture fails to present its viewers with the importance of a positive body image. Reaching millions of people daily, pop culture, with the use of social media, celebrities and television can make people feel comfortable in their own skin, and as they belong. Which is what the country, and the world needs. The issue of body image has been neglected in the past. It is a message that needs to be delivered, and pop culture can do it.