Why Catcalls Matter | Teen Ink

Why Catcalls Matter

By TheBookWorm16 SILVER, Flagstaff, Arizona
TheBookWorm16 SILVER, Flagstaff, Arizona

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing"
-Benjamin Franklin

When I was 16, I got my license. It was exhilirating to get that first taste of freedom and independence,  but it was unfortunately short lived. I had only been driving for a couple weeks when I was at a stoplight and I heard pumping music and loud whistling. I turned to my left and four or five guys were sitting in a truck with their windows down, blasting music, and saying phrases like “hey baby, how you doing?” and “hey good looking, what’s up” It felt completely degrading; as if I had been stripped down from a person with intelligence and a bright future to a mere pretty face. It happens everywhere and is a daily occurence. How is it after all these years, women are still seen as unequal in the eyes of society? We are meant to be pretty, skinny, polite, and completely feminine at all times. Some might consider this an overreaction, but I have seen it happen and have been on the other end of it since I was fourteen years old. This article is not going to turn into a rant on how men are evil and I am not going to whip out a bunch of statistics. This is the reality of everyday. I walk down my street and I get a comment from a man that feels like I should say thank you for the acknowledgment that he thinks I am beautiful and when I do not respond, I am considered rude and ungrateful. How is this accepted as normal?

Sexism is detrimental to the future of our generation for both men and women. Catcalls are just a small factor sexist remarks and incidents that happen everyday. Well here is what I have to say. No, my name is not baby. No, it is not good looking, and it is most certainly not gorgeous. I am more than my looks. I am more than a number on a scale. and I will not base my self worth on what men think of me. Since I got my license this is almost a weekly occurrence. I now get uncomfortable and paranoid and that is unacceptable. I was walking in the mall with my sister and a middle aged man came up to my fourteen year old sister and tries to give her his number. We were disgusted and she was terrified. These experiences have prompted me to write; but more importantly, to write about what matters. We as women, do not need a man’s approval or validation. Catcalls are not flattering, and is unwanted most of the time. When we are called “sexy” or “hot” while taking a walk, it is degrading. My body is not yours to comment on or judge regardless of whether it is seen as positive or negative.

Why do we as a society continue to make this an everyday occurrence? Why is it accepted as a problem girls just have to deal with? This is the twenty-first century. We are not objects. We are not your eye candy. and we are certainly not superficial objects for your viewing pleasure. We as a society need to make a change. It takes one person and the effect continues. It all boils down to this question, What kind of society do we want our future daughters to live in?

on Mar. 20 2015 at 12:50 am

-Benjamin Franklin

Hey everybody! please feel free to comment below. I would love to hear what you think :)