1960-2009; The Evoultion Of Teenage Girls | Teen Ink

1960-2009; The Evoultion Of Teenage Girls

By mle_eason SILVER, Carbondale, Colorado
mle_eason SILVER, Carbondale, Colorado

Show them what it means to be amazing.

Obsessed. Jealous. Impressionable. Girls are not what they were fifty years ago. Nowadays, young girls want to be one thing, popaumos= popular + famous Television programs put this image out to little girls, as if it was possible for every single one of them. “When I grow up, do you know what I’m going to be Mom?” The answers are endless. A model, a singer, a ice skater, a beauty queen, a vampire (?!), Joe Jonas’s wife, Hannah Montana. The image that is implanted in little girl’s minds are taunting and unrealistic. But, in all honesty and truth I have never, ever seen a show that tells young people that school is important, playing games can mean something other than Nintendogs, and maybe every one and a while actually encourages abstinence.
Over the past five years children’s minds have been warped and twisted. Just the other day I logged into Facebook, and an acquaintance of a girl had her status set as: “Zac Efron's relationship status is "its complicated." Trouble in paradise with Zanessa?” (Copied and pasted straight from Facebook) It then hit me square in the face that this girl actually cared about two peoples relationship that she didn’t even know. After that it was swarmed with comments like “OMFG! REALLY?” Ahem. Did anybody actually ask Zac or Vanessa what was happening in their oh-so-publicized relationship? I don’t think so. I then scrolled through the status’ written by girls like her. The status’ are as follows. “I’m sooo exited for iFight Shelby Marx!” and “There was this chick on America’s got talent and, man! Her teeth were ridiculous!!!!!” What is this? What about the thoughts that didn’t have to do with unimportant, bimbo-ish, materialistic things?! We are all so intrigued with Britney’s new album, or Lindsey’s leaked party pictures we are not even paying attention to the rest of the world.
I have also noticed the phrase “I don’t know” being tossed around a lot, I mean A LOT. What is it that this generation doesn’t know? How to pass a class? How to say something besides ‘cool’ or ‘LOL!’? Maybe we could shake it up a little and say “That’s very interesting!” or possibly “You are a very witty!!” While you ponder different ways to say ‘OMFG!!!!’ You should know what the children of today do not know; how to be different. As of this summer, spring and winter, Aeropstale, American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie, flat irons and skinny jeans are all the rage. Don’t get me wrong, I followed this for some time and I know how hard it is to be different. To just be you around the people that will judge you based on your attire. Those people can be found in every town, city, state. No matter where you go, you will find them. There is even a song that made top 40 that could tell you about it. So why should I hold out on you? I wont.
“Maybe if I act like that, that guy will call me back…Laughing loud so all the little people stare…What happened to the dreams of a girl president? She's dancing in the video next to 50 Cent…Where, oh where, have the smart people gone? Oh where, oh where could they be?…Baby if I act like that, flipping my blond hair back. Push up my bra like that…Outcasts and girls with ambition, that's what I wanna see…Their only concern, will they **** up my hair…. I Don’t Wanna Be A Stupid Girl.” Sound familiar?
I took the most truthful statements from this song, and it is shockingly accurate about the preteens/ early teens/ late teens of today. If you happen to think this is bogus, think about it. There are at least three girls you know that fill that statement. And realistic, down-to-earth, spunky, different, unique, independent girls will know that the following is true, (This is one of my favorite quotes) “Calling somebody else fat won't make you any skinnier. Calling someone stupid doesn't make you any smarter. And all you can do in life is try to solve the problem in front of you.” Materialistic, fake, mindless, insecure girls will not. Please, please, please try your hardest not to be that girl. I know how difficult it is not to be. I was once. And once you are free… you realize you were filled with hate, envy, extreme willingness and other feelings that are intoxicating you. Once you, yourself, are you, it is so unrealistic how wonderful independence can feel. As long as you are not insecure, of course. Otherwise it could feel terrible. I had to learn exactly how terrible it felt. You don’t have to. Make the decision to be different, to be independent and perfectly beautiful the way you were meant to be.

Please comment on how you, yourself are unique and independent :)

poetrydiva93 BRONZE, Ferguson, Missouri

"..Never let the fear of striking out..keep u from playing the game.."

Thank you soo much,this was so inspirational!,Great job.

ashley anter said...
on Sep. 11 2009 at 7:08 am
ashley anter, Clayton, Indiana
i love your article a lot. I think most girls now always try to be something that they are not. But I on the other hand am a very unique person and I do not try to conform into something i am not.