Jayme Closs: Court Case | Teen Ink

Jayme Closs: Court Case

By EveLOverlord SILVER, San Antonio, Texas
EveLOverlord SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

The only way that anyone can truly learn is through pain, through emotional scars that remind you everyday why you won't make the same mistake again.

13-year-old Jayme Closs had been kidnapped in her own house after having both her parents killed by her abductor, Jake Patterson. Jayme’s kidnapper was 21-years-old at the time of committing the various crimes. He was charged with two life sentences for the double-homicide of both Jayme’s mother and father, killing the two of them with his fathers shot gun. Jake Patterson was also charged with the kidnapping of Jayme Closs after holding her captive for 88 days before she was able to escape. During the time that she was being held, Patterson would leave her under his bed for up to twelve hour at a time before letting her out. He would threaten her, saying that if she tried to escape “Bad things would happen” to her, though he never specified what those things were. 

Because of these three crimes, Patterson was charged with 20-40 years in prison for the kidnapping of Jayme Closs and he was charged with one life sentence for the murder of Jayme’s mother and a second life sentence for the murder of Jayme’s father. 

The thing I find most surprising about the court case is that Jake Patterson was not diagnosed with any mental disorders such as sociopathy or psychopathy despite all the thinks that he did to Jayme. It is said in the court case that the only time he felt remorse for his actions is when it started to effect his family. He was not apologetic for the kidnapping of Jayme Closs, but instead seemed proud of what he had done. Lack of remorse is a key symptom in schizophrenia and many other mental disorders of the sort, yet in the court case Patterson was said to not be diagnosed with any of them. 

This is a short essay that I wrote to bring light to the fact that tragic things happen everyday. It's something that many people ignore, but subjects like this, while upsetting, are also very important. We never know what could happen or when it could happen, and that is terrifying. We should always be prepared.