Feeling Beauty | Teen Ink

Feeling Beauty

By 3stapleton GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
3stapleton GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The beach was just as I had remembered. Waves were crashing down and the sun was  just about to set so the colors of orange, yellow and pink covered the sky. The sun crept over the large body of water and reflected all its light in my direction.I put the blanket down and got the food arranged for the picnic. As I sat down my dress was a bit flimsy so I needed to adjust how I was going to sit on the blanket. It was my favorite dress. It was a gorgeous, blue, silk, satin dress. The blue looked like the sky in midday, so bright and elegant. As I went to sit down a butterfly flew right onto the blanket. I loved butterflies because they represent something I feel I am not. Confident and beautiful creatures. Everyone is beautiful in their own way. It is just sometimes harder for me to feel it. When the butterfly flew away I almost felt sadness because I needed the creature as comfort for myself to feel my confidence. I started to put the food arrangement together quickly because my friend was on her way to come join me. Once she showed up she noticed something was up with me. She started talking about how the surroundings were so beautiful, but I wasn’t even listening to her. All I felt was empty feelings for myself. After sitting in sorrow for the whole picnic I felt so horrible for my friend because this couldn’t have been a good experience for her. Once we started walking out I heard a woman call out to me. I acknowledged her wondering what she wanted. She went up to me and looked me in the eyes and said you are “beautiful”. It was like this woman was my guardian angel, she told me exactly what I needed to remind myself that I am beautiful inside and out. The whole drive back there was tears streaming down my face with the reflection of the falling sun out of the corner of my eye; instead of sad tears; I felt way happy to find out others do think I’m beautiful.