Muslims: Looking Past the Hijab | Teen Ink

Muslims: Looking Past the Hijab

September 28, 2010
By dewdrops BRONZE, Melvindale, Michigan
dewdrops BRONZE, Melvindale, Michigan
3 articles 6 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
I would rather have a few good friends than a hundred bad ones.


You see them around and you stare at them, because they are different, because of how they dress, and the language they speak. They are just people like the rest of us. Do people stare at you because you wear a cross around your neck? Do they point and laugh when you are dressed up walking into a church? Do they mock you when you pray? Chances are no. That's because we are taught that our religion is normal, and usually we are not taught about other religions, or other cultures. So we do not have the capability to realize that that is their religion, their beliefs, and that they have as much rights as we do to express their freedom of religion. You have to be able to see underneath the burkas, (The traditional clothing of the Muslim women) to see past that layer of religious prejudice. Once you are able to you will be able to see the wonderful, intelligent, and kind people that they really are. So please, next time you see them do not point and laugh or stare at them trying to figure out who they are, take some time and get to know them before you start labeling them. Don't judge a book by it's cover.


The author's comments:
One of my best friends are Muslims and it bothers me how people can just glance at her and say she is a terrorist. How people think she is strange because of what she believes. This is America where all religions should be accepted.